Confused as to why you would purchase a Disk. Please fill me in....... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why do people still bother to purchase films? Perhaps the bonus content and unrated features? I have nothing against films whatsoever, nor to I pirate videos online. My point or question rather to those of you who still rush into Best Buy every Tuesday is why? My guess it is like owning CD's back in the day and trying to get a wall-filled collection of 10k or so. Maybe it is the excitement of opening the cellophane and smelling the new plastics.

Can someone help me out here?

Please inform me why you still by media.

I know that when I mail them back to N.F. I will not want to see them again until many years later when it is available on instant streaming.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to hearing everyone's own opinions as to why they buy or collect....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM

I mostly consider it a fun hobby.

Concrete reasons I can think of are as follows... but I admit to some degree it just appeals to a compulsive "collectors" mentality within me.

I do look forward to the day we could have all-virtual purchases though. I hate the space that physical collections take up.

==================================
- It lets me support the movies that I really enjoy.
-- I don't go to the theater so much anymore.

- I really enjoy extra features & "making of" documentaries.

- It's psychologically comforting to have favorite films around that I can watch at any time.
-- I can watch favorite movies several times over w/o getting too bored.

- Much better A/V quality than streaming.

- Subscription streaming (e.g Netflix) has a lousy selection.

- Individual streaming (e.g. Amazon) feels overpriced for what you get.
-- $4.00 to stream a movie at lousy quality? No thanks.

- Renting a physical disc can be a pain.
-- With Netflix sometimes you have to wait a lengthy period for popular titles.
-- Obscure titles often aren't available at local places.
-- Discs often arrive dirty, and sometimes damaged.
==================================
post #3 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My preference for physical media over going to the theater:
- At a minimum, theaters are as expensive or more expensive than buying the disc. If we had kids, this would be exponentially true.
- Theaters are wildy inconsistent in AV performance whereas the experience we have at home is technically better than any nearby theater and is entirely configurable on the fly.
- People at theaters have no ****ing respect for anyone around them while at home it can be just us or friends and family.

My preference for physical media over streaming:
- Quality, quality, quality. We'll watch Netflix when we're doing other things around the house or we want to see a TV series or movie that we otherwise have no interest in owning, but if we're going to sit down and relax to some quality programming, we'll grab for the Blu-ray first (if available).
- We back up all of our physical media to our home server and can stream 1:1 Blu-ray quality to any device in the house using XBMC (or other compatible players). I call it Nateflix™. Patent-pending. LOL
- I own it. I pay one time for unlimited viewing. It's mine and can't be taken from me due to expired contracts or silly corporate squabbles. If I stop paying a monthly fee or if my server and backups all explode, I can still watch all my discs. (until they get rot)

TL;DR
Owning physical media is ultimately the winner when it comes to quality and cost.
post #4 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I also like physical media. I'm a collector. Owning a movie means that I can what it whenever I wish, on the spur of the moment or a whim depending on my mood, instead of waiting for someone to fill my cue. Sometimes I just want to watch one scene. Streaming looks like dog doo, and I have to pay for it every time I want to see something. I really dislike going to the theater, and the experience of all that goes with it. Not to mention, the price of tickets for me and my wife is higher than that of most discs. A good portion of my collection is made up of imports not readily available streaming or by rental.
J
post #5 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have had a few hard drives fail on me losing terabytes of media so i still prefer to have the disc, i also like quality so when its projected i want it too look and sound great so blu-ray is still best for me, not to say i dont use netflix, i do and it looks and sounds great, but i will always buy solid media as long as i need it (until 4k delivery system arrives!)

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #6 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
1. Quality, quality, quality- nothing beats Blu-ray in the home (yet).
2. I can watch it whenever I want and I'm never dependent upon internet connectivity or traffic or some company's policy whim, licensing issue or server availability.
3. If I'm done with it, I can sell it and get some value back.

So... why would you purchase anything else?

I don't feel special...
post #7 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Never was the typical purchaser of any media (45s, LPs, CDs, LaserDisc, DVDs, D-Theater and Blu-ray). Always rented (or heard on the radio, saw at the theater, etc.) then bought the titles that I would want to watch and/or listen too again. Being an audiophile I listen to movies as well as watch. Example, have watched Blade Runner many times because of the Vangelis music tracks.

Never was an impulse buyer and rarely do blind purchase. Did a blind purchase of Skyfall based on answers to questions by AVS members and reviews.

Have almost 380 Blu-ray titles, 150 remaining DVD titles, 5 remaining D-Theater titles and several hundred CDs.

Have 0 UHDTV Blu-ray titles but I hope to add them to my collection when they become available.

BTW, it is Disc not Disk

Edit: Have about 30 Ultraviolet titles, Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming. They are used solely for casual viewing and they are NO sub for physical content.
post #8 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Simple: I want a copy of movies I really like that I can keep and never have to worry it will disappear into the vault when the streaming rights run out. My ability to watch movies shouldn't be dictated on whether a company wants to spring for the rights to show it. I own copies of movies on disc that will never, ever show up on streaming services. Ever.

The fact that the quality is usually better is a bonus.

Plus, it's a lot easier for people to browse my shelves than it is for multiple people to shuffle through the Netflix listings. Most of the time, people sit there looking at the screen and flipping through the listings, saying "have you seen this?" or "anyone want to watch this?" only to just settle on something in the "popular" section just for the sake of picking something.

Granted, it's great when you say "hey, I haven't seen X movie in a while and I don't have it on disc - let's check if it's streaming", but if I have the movie, I can find it on the shelf before the home theater even powers up.
post #9 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all who have replied to my question.

Yes, Wendell, you are correct about Disc. I don't think there is anyway for me to edit a title.
post #10 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To your point, I still purchase blu-rays due to the vastly improved picture and sound quality. However, I only purchase those movies which are my absolute favorites. Back in the DVD day I used to buy movies all the time and my collection was far larger than it should have ever been. Now, it's only titles I actually want to own and am sure I'll watch.
post #11 of 42 Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 11
We have a first rate theater here; The Warren – that I have been spoiled by. Reminds me of the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin only in the sense that they do serve food, but a little less art-house and more first rate facilities. The ‘Director’s Suites’ have heated and reclining seats with food and beverage service, but it’s far from a bargain price - $22 for all shows! That’s not with a free drink or anything mind you - $5 for a soda, etc. LOL It is VERY nice though.

Considering that price (General Admission seats run $10 minimum for evenings) – the cost of a disc more palatable for me personally. I’m not a ‘collector.’ I rather enjoy going to see the show at the theater on the HUGE screens (supposedly biggest IMAX in the country).

I really like the option of streaming and ‘cloud’ services – very convenient. I recently got a nicer set and I’m on a kick of picking up a few discs to really see it shine. Honestly though – it shines pretty well even with my old DVD’s and the streaming and/or satellite content.

I really hope there isn’t any movement to make discs obsolete though. The extra quality is appreciable and I can only imagine if you have a really top notch setup that it makes all the difference.
post #12 of 42 Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You cannot get everything thru streaming. There are many tv shows and movies only available by either buying or renting a disc. There are countless obscure movies you will only be able to get if you buy a disc. I've had issues when I put a tv series on my Netflix queue one of the discs would be unavailable. Go to Netflix and try to rent the original Outer Limits (1960s) tv series. Cant stream it. And when you add one of the discs to your queue, it shows up as availability "unknown". I own it. Now if the only thing you watch is what has been on cable recently then perhaps you can get by with only streaming.

Why do people buy books? Why do people buy CDs? As other people mentioned, it's a hobby. People like to have their own private library and have their favorite films be available, and not disappear at the whim of some streaming service. I'm a big fan of sci-fi movies and I have many DVDs of B-movies that you just can't get by streaming or renting.
post #13 of 42 Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Too many reasons to list, most have been mentioned here already. 1st and foremost, if it's 11 at night and I get a sudden fancy to watch Nightmare on Elm Street 4, it's right on the shelf at my finger tips. I don't mind the space my collection takes up, in the days of old, bookshelves filled with books were a status symbol, movies have replaced that in my house.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #14 of 42 Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM

I too like the idea of owning the physical media. Convenience, like others said not everything is available for streaming, and I don't like anyone having control of what I can and can't watch.

Bxbigpipi
post #15 of 42 Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1970 View Post

I have nothing against films whatsoever
This statement reveals a lot. You may like movies, no offense intended, but they really don't mean much to you. The majority of people here are passionate about film. If you get that, no further explanation of ownership is necessary.
seggers likes this.
post #16 of 42 Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do people still bother to purchase films?
An odd question, to me. To anyone who ever purchased movies (in any format) in the past, why would they NOT still buy them now?

Apparently, some people can watch a movie they like one time, and that is enough. I am not like that at all... I forget most of each movie I watch, until I have seen them four times or so. Therefore, I get "four" movies out of each purchase.

I like to OWN things, not pay someone else to let me use theirs (if they choose to make them available).

The whole Beta-versus-VHS battle basically soured me on renting movies, so I have done very little of it over the years. Even when I bought a top-of-the-line Pioneer A/V receiver in about 1990 and got 25 free Laser Disc rentals with it, a year or more later I had still never used even half the rentals even for free, though I had bought plenty of discs in that time period.

There is just plain NO alternative to buying movies on Blu-ray discs that is even worth considering, for the quality, value, features, and personal control you get for the money. Just none.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #17 of 42 Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM

Liked: 19
I like owning my favorite movies and being able to watch them whenever I want.With Netflix streaming sometimes films become unavailable. For example I recently watched Scorsese's Cape Fear I've owned that movie on DVD since 2001.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

This statement reveals a lot. You may like movies, no offense intended, but they really don't mean much to you.
Yeah, it really sounds like his attitude is "movies... meh...I can take them or leave them".
post #19 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Some of us have dedicated theatre rooms with multiple thousands of dollars invested in A/V equipment, etc. BD is the best way for me to view films from my 3D PJ on an 8 foot screen. I also have grandkids who watch the same movies over and over, and friends who like to see films demo'd. I rent some BD's, and buy the ones I feel have rewatchability.

I can understand those who watch on smaller screens may not feel the need for the higher quality BD affords though.
post #20 of 42 Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Why do people still bother to purchase films? Perhaps the bonus content and unrated features? I have nothing against films whatsoever, nor to I pirate videos online. My point or question rather to those of you who still rush into Best Buy every Tuesday is why? My guess it is like owning CD's back in the day and trying to get a wall-filled collection of 10k or so. Maybe it is the excitement of opening the cellophane and smelling the new plastics.

Can someone help me out here?

Please inform me why you still by media.

I know that when I mail them back to N.F. I will not want to see them again until many years later when it is available on instant streaming.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to hearing everyone's own opinions as to why they buy or collect....

There is no guarantee that the title you send back will ever be streamed. Discs are still the most foolproof way to play media and the case the disc comes in takes up very little room compared to a book. Then there's internet failure, Hard drive failure.....
And why rush into Best Buy when Amazon will send it to you.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #21 of 42 Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I thank you all for contributing to my thread. I also understand your point of view regarding this topic. To answer all of your questions or rather statements about me: I too have a dedicated room with bass traps and sound deadening. I too have such Oppo'sand game consoles but no projector and anamorphic lens.

I have purchased and owned every format since BETA, VHS or DVD/BD titles. In fact I sold them all of in 2008. Even the Beta-max and films.

I understand your need to want a collection on demand.

But where are the folks similar to me who care about quality but do not want to possess the physical version of films?

I know that I cannot be alone.

Mind you, we all know steaming and Downloads are not the best A or V quality but I still cannot justify even $5 usd for a DVD or 19 usd for a BD.

Plus I do not want to store or showcase any of it.

In fact when it comes to PS3 or 360 games, I sell them as soon as I can before they lose value. Most of the time I do not purchase them new, since I do not see the value in a $60 usd game.

That being said, there are few titles I hold dearly: Most of which are Rockstar titles or Driving/Racing Games. But only the best ones. No need to list. You know who you are and which ones I mean.

Gosh, no one has really satisfied my thirst to want to purchase anything on film.

Pleas educate or sell me on this concept. Mind you I once was addicted to purchasing cassette tapes and Cd's. Must of had almost One Thousand. All gone now.
post #22 of 42 Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

But where are the folks similar to me who care about quality but do not want to possess the physical version of films?
What you've just described is an oxy moron. If you care about quality, your relegated to physical media at present. Even HDX Vudu with my 25mbps cable internet can't match the quality of mid level Blu Rays in audio or video.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #23 of 42 Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gosh, no one has really satisfied my thirst to want to purchase anything on film. Pleas educate or sell me on this concept.

If none of the excellent responses in this thread have "sold" you, then nothing will. Why continue? For your benefit and ours, how about we just get a mod to lock this thread since it's going nowhere fast.
post #24 of 42 Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Amen.
post #25 of 42 Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for being so positive with your comments since I last posted.
post #26 of 42 Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for being so positive with your comments since I last posted.

Not sure if serious or... Hey man, don't make it personal. You've asked many direct questions which have all been directly answered, but none of those answers agree with your apparent position. The product you are looking for does not exist. There is no non-physical product that offers equal or better quality than physical products. There's no point in continuing unless you're just fishing for something else. Good luck in finding whatever that may be.
post #27 of 42 Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Pretty harsh there Mr.

Please do not continue to post in this thread that I created.

Thank you.
post #28 of 42 Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
its pretty simple ace.... people spend their money on what they want to... if you don't like buying discs fine, but just because you don't doesn't mean others don't

I have heard these similar arguments for the past 20 to 30 years about why buying media is dumb. Again I don't tell others how to spend their income.

Also nathanddrews is correct... streaming still has a long ways to go if you are truly looking for a quality experience.

post #29 of 42 Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I understand Toknowshita. I do appreciate or people's views. I never intended to tell those how to spend their money.

I appreciate your insight and I will ask the mods to lock the thread.

Thank you.
post #30 of 42 Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Jumping in before the lock, it's also worth noting that, in addition to all of the good reasons posted above, many films are available in multiple versions--and if you rely on streaming, rental, or any other source other than media ownership, you don't have control over which version of the film you see.

For example, to watch the most well-regarded version of Amadeus, you will need to own the DVD. To watch the most well-regarded version of Star Wars, you will need to own the Laserdisc. And so on. If you count on streaming or media rental, you'll get whatever is on the current release, and sometimes that is not even close to what you want.

And since you can't predict when a film you love will suddenly be turned into a different film you don't love, you buy it while it's still in a form you love--as a hedge against revisionism in the future.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page