Is it possible to download movies in "full Bluray quality"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi all,

I apologize if this is a rampant noob question.

I'm wondering if it is possible to download movies and/or TV shows in full, unblemished Bluray quality.

I see a lot of download sites where you can download shows and movies in "1080p quality", but the download file is only 3gb-5gb large! This is concerning to me, because I thought real Bluray movies were over 20gb large. So, I'm assuming these files must be highly compressed and losing some quality somewhere.

Wasn't file size a reason why the Bluray disc was created in the first place, because DVD discs couldn't hold enough data?

In any case, I'm wondering if it's possible to download movies in full Bluray Quality, and then store them digitally and play it back on my TV and/or computer. I'm looking to play it back from the harddrive, or a flashdrive.... not burn it to a Bluray disc. I'm looking for full quality, not compressed quality.

If so, how large should the data file be per movie?
If so, what would the best type of file be to download?
Where can we download them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Legally, no. Ripping a Blu-ray disc and sharing it on the internet is against the law and a forbidden topic on this forum.

The legal alternatives, such as UltraViolet streaming, tend to be of lesser quality, which is why Blu-ray discs are still important.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
one word "REMUX"!
post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

Hi all,

I apologize if this is a rampant noob question.

I'm wondering if it is possible to download movies and/or TV shows in full, unblemished Bluray quality.

I see a lot of download sites where you can download shows and movies in "1080p quality", but the download file is only 3gb-5gb large! This is concerning to me, because I thought real Bluray movies were over 20gb large. So, I'm assuming these files must be highly compressed and losing some quality somewhere.

Yes at 3gb-5gb they would be crushed and no where near the quality of discs they were ripped from plus probably not 1080p. Streaming quality would be more accurate.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Downloading a torrent with a 1080p version of the movie is illegal in most English speaking countries.

For a technical answer, if you wanted to back up your bluray collection (also illegal in SOME countries), I've found that movies in the 10gb file size to be a good compromise between picture quality and storage size. If it's an action movie with lots of moving camera angles, something around 15gb is good, if it's a drama without a ton of action, 8gb sizes seem to be alright.

For reference, the 720p and 1080i movies with Dolby Digital 5.1 that you download on your PVR work out to roughly 2-3gb file size.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Kaleidescape store has full Blu-ray quality downloads available as of yesterday.
Gracilism likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Kaleidescape store has full Blu-ray quality downloads available as of yesterday.

Interesting. Legal, I assume. But why would someone bother downloading (for example) Brainstorm which is a 20 GB file costing $16? Even a non-HD+ version is around 8 GB. The more expensive movies include a UV code. Seems like a clone of VUDU except for the file size.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Judging by their FAQ, the HD downloads are full Blu-ray copies. I've got nearly 300 of my discs backed up on my media server and they range between 12GB to 45GB per film. Kaleidescape is the real deal, but it's not streaming and requires their hardware.

Not streaming over Internet, that is.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion