WSJ "expert" claims no one he knows uses Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dlma1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A recent WSJ article by Walt Mossberg went over various options for watching internet provided content on TV's. He didn't bother to mention blu-ray players at all. I emailed him for his rationale. Here is our conversation (with most recent first):

Just to clarify: there's nothing wrong with Blu-ray players, and the penetration may now be a bit higher, though it's been slow going because they are competing with streaming, not only to TVs but to PCs, tablets and smartphones. And you're right that they also have internet video apps. But, just anecdotally: I don't own one, and nobody I know personally does, or at least ever mentions it, though they all mention their iPads, smartphones, Rokus and Apple TVs frequently. I don't even use my DVD player anymore. There's nothing on disc that I want to see that I can't get on iTunes or Amazon or Netflix or Hulu+ digitally, and usually for less money and no need for storage of physical media. But I realize that others have different preferences. That's what's great about consumer choice.


Walt
======================
Walt Mossberg
Personal Technology Columnist
The Wall Street Journal
mossberg@wsj.com
allthingsd.com



On Aug 15, 2013, at 9:29 AM, "Miley, Dan L" wrote:

Wow, thanks, for the information. I didn’t realize the penetration was so small. I guess being a videophile like myself (I have a blu-player in the living room, recroom and bedrooms) I thought everyone else had one!

Appreciate your quick responses.

Dan


From: Walt Mossberg [mailto:walt.mossberg@wsj.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:21 AM
To: Miley, Dan L
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Online Video Article

Latest figure I could find on Blu-ray ownership is 27% of households, and some of those may be PlayStations.


Walt
======================
Walt Mossberg
Personal Technology Columnist
The Wall Street Journal
mossberg@wsj.com
allthingsd.com



On Aug 15, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "Miley, Dan L" wrote:

OK, thanks, but to me it seems like the easiest for a novice to use – most people today have a Blu-ray player, obviating the need to buy a dedicated device like Roku.

Dan


From: Walt Mossberg [mailto:walt.mossberg@wsj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:15 PM
To: Miley, Dan L
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Online Video Article

Space limitations.






Walt
======================
Walt Mossberg
Personal Technology Columnist
The Wall Street Journal
mossberg@wsj.com
allthingsd.com






On Aug 14, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Miley, Dan L" wrote:

Good article, but why didn’t you mention the fact the most blu-ray players offer tons of internet provided video? My Sony blu-ray player has Amazon, Netflix, VUDU, Sony’s own Movie service, Cult Movie network, and many more.

Thanks,
Dan Miley
dlma1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlma1 View Post

He didn't bother to mention blu-ray players at all.

Oh my, the sky is falling (yet again) on Blu-ray eek.gif

That columnist probably wouldn't know good sound and picture if it walked up and kicked him square in the ass. I would wager he doesn't know what 4K is!!
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The article Walt wrote, if you took the time to read it, was about Internet Video options, with the Pro's and Con's of the newest option, of Streaming video vs. renting or buying the hard copy. It also highlighted seven different types of devices for streaming media through the Internet. Yes, he did not directly cite about Blu-ray players having that option, because that was not what the article was about this time. In the past he did hi-light Blu-Ray players and what they offered, but that was over a year ago, when he went over that. BTW, no where in the article did Walt mention that he knows no one that uses Blu-Ray discs.

Maybe next time read the article dlma1, not look at the FUD that some idiot posted in the comments on the Wall Street comment boards. Walt Mossberg knows his stuff, and his tech articles are always the best thing for the journal, because he breaks it down in a small article, not some two page, or full page story, that you have to dig through, to get the gist of what the author is talking about.

Yes there are some such as the Mac Daily News, that has disagreed with Walt's opinions in his reviews, but what writer out there, do you know that has not had someone dispute or argue against the opinion of the writer.

Mossberg gets paid by not only the Journal, but also gets the privilege of trying out the gear, just like any other tech writer, and it is how they decide how to put the info out there. No matter what, there is always going to be a writer that someone is going to disagree with, just like on these forums, you have the mass majority that tends to disagree with those that actually show an honest opinion, or clear through the FUD to try and make sure people are getting the truth behind the details.
gregzoll is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Oh my, the sky is falling (yet again) on Blu-ray eek.gif

That columnist probably wouldn't know good sound and picture if it walked up and kicked him square in the ass. I would wager he doesn't know what 4K is!!
You may want to go read the article that Mossberg wrote, that the OP is slamming. I find the same thing happens on here, on various posts, that someone sides with something, and then everyone attacks them like a pack of Hyenas on a disabled Water Buffalo in the herd.
gregzoll is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I didn't read his article (either) but I accept the subject premise. I don't know anyone who has a Blu-ray player, or even cares at all to know about them.

The vast majority of people are happy enough with their DVD players, cable/satellite TV subscriptions, and Internet streaming options. An obvious correlation might be "Home Theaters with Projection Systems" vs "Homes with TVs" since most people watch on screens far <80" diagonal, thus the improved PQ of BD is mostly lost on them.
Laserfan is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You may want to go read the article that Mossberg wrote
Quote:
But, just anecdotally: I don't own one, and nobody I know personally does, or at least ever mentions it, though they all mention their iPads, smartphones, Rokus and Apple TVs frequently.

No thanks, I stand by my opinion. Any person that cares about top notch sound and picture would own at least one Blu-ray player. And yes I have a lot of the streaming stuff (Amazon Prime, Netflix, VUDU, etc.) and it is just one big CF.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post


No thanks, I stand by my opinion. Any person that cares about top notch sound and picture would own at least one Blu-ray player. And yes I have a lot of the streaming stuff (Amazon Prime, Netflix, VUDU, etc.) and it is just one big CF.
It is obvious that your opinion is incorrect, due to Walt did not state what the OP made a false statement of. The article again was about other devices out there, and the fact that it pointed out that people who own TiVo's, the majority are not aware of the extra streaming features that are available on that device. There have been articles in the past that Walt and one other writer that does the tech column for the Journal have gone over what Blu-ray players offer, but this article was not about that, it was about the stand alone streaming devices.
gregzoll is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I didn't read his article (either) but I accept the subject premise. I don't know anyone who has a Blu-ray player, or even cares at all to know about them.

The vast majority of people are happy enough with their DVD players, cable/satellite TV subscriptions, and Internet streaming options. An obvious correlation might be "Home Theaters with Projection Systems" vs "Homes with TVs" since most people watch on screens far <80" diagonal, thus the improved PQ of BD is mostly lost on them.
Well maybe you should, vs. taking some ill informed party on this forum, that made a personal ill thought out opinion, that nothing that they made this FUD thread about, is even stated by Walt in his article.
gregzoll is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

It is obvious that your opinion is incorrect

Well it could be that you too can not appreciate what Blu-ray has to offer therefore your opinion about me is the incorrect.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Well it could be that you too can not appreciate what Blu-ray has to offer therefore your opinion about me is the incorrect.
Are you delirious. Majority of the stuff I watch is on Blu-Ray. First thing, read the article. Second, act like an mature individual, not like some kid hanging out in their parents basement.
gregzoll is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Are you delirious. Majority of the stuff I watch is on Blu-Ray. First thing, read the article. Second, act like an mature individual, not like some kid hanging out in their parents basement.

I don't care to read a article about audio and video technology written by a columnist that does not own a Blu-ray player. Period

Now, if you have proof that
Quote:
But, just anecdotally: I don't own one,
(as in, Blu-ray player) is false then I will retract all my post.

BTW, it is Blu-ray, not Blu-Ray rolleyes.gif
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:52 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I don't care to read a article about audio and video technology written by a columnist that does not own a Blu-ray player. Period

Now, if you have proof that
(as in, Blu-ray player) is false then I will retract all my post.

BTW, it is Blu-ray, not Blu-Ray rolleyes.gif
Then do not try and create an argument about something that you never took the time to look into. Just like the OP, you made a false claim, and had nothing to back it up. I never stated nor did the author of the article Walt Mossberg make any statements about Blu-Ray quality. Next time read the articles, stop following the FUD on these forums.
gregzoll is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Then do not try and create an argument about something that you never took the time to look into. Just like the OP, you made a false claim, and had nothing to back it up. I never stated nor did the author of the article Walt Mossberg make any statements about Blu-Ray quality. Next time read the articles, stop following the FUD on these forums.

So you have no proof that what the OP posted is false about the columnist owning a Blu-ray player.

BTW, it is Blu-ray, not Blu-Ray, been this way since 2002.

Is this not clear somehow?
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Then do not try and create an argument about something that you never took the time to look into. Just like the OP, you made a false claim, and had nothing to back it up. I never stated nor did the author of the article Walt Mossberg make any statements about Blu-Ray quality. Next time read the articles, stop following the FUD on these forums.
Time you wake up and take your own advice and read what is in front of you!

The OP doesn't make any false claims or present any FUD as you claim, neither in his post nor in the title of the thread.

He personally e-mailed the author of the article and asked him why he didn't mention Blu-Ray. You can read the authors replay in the first post.

The only one here creating a false argument is you! Which is something we have learnt lately is your habit.

.
coolscan is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Time you wake up and take your own advice and read what is in front of you!

The OP doesn't make any false claims or present any FUD as you claim, neither in his post nor in the title of the thread.

He personally e-mailed the author of the article and asked him why he didn't mention Blu-Ray. You can read the authors replay in the first post.

The only one here creating a false argument is you! Which is something we have learnt lately is your habit.

.
I read what the OP posted, along with read the article before the OP spouted the FUD that they did, slamming Mossberg. If you and the others took the time to read the article, you would realize, that it was not about blu-ray players, but stand alone streaming devices, along with the TiVo & Smart TV's. As for Mossberg's reply, he is spot on on the penetration that they are seeing from people using Blu-Ray players for the streaming services on them, along with using them alone.

There are still a lot of people that are using DVD players, non-smart TV's, or using smartphones, tablets, laptops for online IPTV Streaming.

Maybe if you took the time to look up the facts, vs slamming others on here, same as the mass majority does, because they like you feel that no one else should have an opinion, do your research first to verify the facts, not start slamming another poster on these forums, because you disagree with what they state.

As my Grandmother used to say, "You may not like it, but you do not need to open your mouth and make a negative statement about it."
gregzoll is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

So you have no proof that what the OP posted is false about the columnist owning a Blu-ray player.

BTW, it is Blu-ray, not Blu-Ray, been this way since 2002.

Is this not clear somehow?
Oh I'm sorry. I should have checked with you first, before not placing a capital R for the word Ray. Next time I will remember to get your opinion before posting my opinion on these forums, not.
gregzoll is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
That's enough. Thread locked.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is offline  
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off