AVS Forum banner

36 bit MGVC Blu Ray(only in Japan)

14K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  JediFonger 
#1 ·
(topic : True 4K Blu-ray - why I will mostly skip if released)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok, bluray.com 

Look how they were able to add 3D to BD. I think they could easily update the spec to support a larger bit depth for 2D discs at least. My point there are many installed 1080p sets that could support the expanded color information without having having to replace them all for UHD.

At least Panasonic(JP) did that!

36 bit MGVC Blu Ray

Novelty, novelty involved! Panasonic Corp., (thanks to their Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory research center's work on Studio Ghibli's recent digital disc releases) has taken advantage of this upcoming launch to push for MGVC (MASTER GRADE VIDEO CODING) on specific Blu-ray Disc player models. This is their own implementation of the MVC codec standard that seems to be very cool; using the additional data stream to superpose (interpolate) color information that makes up for the compression loss when is used the normal 8-bit encoding for each of the three signal components, coming from the 36-bit color digital master tape. ( http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201304/10/32810.html ) It could be my preferred advancement to come from the efforts of consumer electronics companies to promote stereoscopic 3D vision technology.

Achieving 60Mbps of data transmission unified for a single stream picture view!

Although most won't benefit from this color depth on common 24-bit (8-bit per channel) panel TV sets, this is kind of further future-proofing the editions! Also, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service & Only Yesterday are listed as already compatible and waiting to be played on those models.

source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=53399040

More information about MGVC (Sony doesn' t like it) :

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201304/10/32810.html&usg=ALkJrhhPvNAtE3cgEtLnRb9JbvEg1LwuVA

There is only one Panasonic BDP DMR-BZT9300 in Japan is MGVC compatible ( best price JP¥238,000 )

One more reson we should stick to Studio Ghibli Japan version.

See less See more
#3 ·
Most Bluray players and TVs already support Deep Colour 30 bit or 36 bit.

Why the difficulty in encoding Bluray titles to include this extra bit depth? Is this another case of providing feature "ready" implementations to extort extra cost, knowing full well that it can't be taken advantage of without replacing other hardware, again at extra cost?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD  /t/1486405/36-bit-mgvc-blu-ray-only-in-japan#post_23638141

Why the difficulty in encoding Bluray titles to include this extra bit depth? Is this another case of providing feature "ready" implementations to extort extra cost, knowing full well that it can't be taken advantage of without replacing other hardware, again at extra cost?
I don't know about most, but the problem would be it's not part of the official Blu-ray specs, so could not work on some players/TVs.

Also, this new way sounds like a bit of a hack rather than efficient way to store it. But if it produces a better picture then that's good. Though aren't a lot of Blu-ray's that are down-coverted (from 10/12 bit to 8 bit), especially CGI ones dithered, and if they need to be not dithered for this new format, won't that make the banding of the 8 bit version on the disc stand out more? Also, what happens with 3D titles if MVC+ the extra bandwidth is being used to increase it to 12 bit colour - does that mean no 3D title will be able to have 12 bit colour with this method? I don't think it will catch on if only Panasonic can make players for it and very few titles use it and it's not part of the specs. And they'll probably add 10/12 bit colour for the next version of Blu-ray if/when they add 4K/high fps 1080p support.

#5 ·

Quote:

Why the difficulty in encoding Bluray titles to include this extra bit depth?
Simple: It was not included in the original spec.
Quote:
But if it produces a better picture then that's good. Though aren't a lot of Blu-ray's that are down-coverted (from 10/12 bit to 8 bit), especially CGI ones dithered, and if they need to be not dithered for this new format, won't that make the banding of the 8 bit version on the disc stand out more?
That would be my hunch. But I can't confirm it.
Quote:
Also, what happens with 3D titles if MVC+ the extra bandwidth is being used to increase it to 12 bit colour - does that mean no 3D title will be able to have 12 bit colour with this method?
I'd imagine so. This appears to be a way of repurposing the extra bandwidth that was hollowed out for 3D.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs  /t/1486405/36-bit-mgvc-blu-ray-only-in-japan#post_23641881

if they need to be not dithered for this new format, won't that make the banding of the 8 bit version on the disc stand out more?

No visible banding on these titles as far as I can see, and there'd be plenty of places for banding to be evident on the watercolor backgrounds. This must have been done cleverly enough that dithering of the 8-bit colors is still possible, AFAICT.

EDIT: To clarify, yes, I have some of the fancy disks in question, and no, I don't have one of the fancy players in question.

#9 ·
From what I can understand, it looks like Pony Canyon will be utilizing Panasonic MGVC with a live-action film for the first time with the Japanese sell-through releases of Lone Survivor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.co.jp 

●セルBDは実写洋画初のマスターグレードビデオコーディングを採用。
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.co.jp 

● cell BD employs a master grade video coding's first live-action Movie.
Standard Edition

Two Disc Limited Edition SteelBook (has an additional BD of extras)

EDIT: Warner Japan have used it on their releases of Shield of Straw AKA 藁の楯 わらのたて (2013) and Unforgiven AKA 許されざる者 (2013) prior to this release, so I guess it is the first live-action Pony Canyon release. Other releases can be seen at the bottom of this page at Panasonic.

#10 ·
looks like the entire Ghibli catalog on the Japanese side is in this or has been re-released in this. FYI

#12 ·
i'm really hoping all of those efforts paid off when it comes time to re-release everything in 4k HDR as HDR allows more colors.

#13 ·
i'm really hoping all of those efforts paid off when it comes time to re-release everything in 4k HDR as HDR allows more colors.
Strangely, Mary and the Witch's Flower (which was made by Studio Ponoc but still has most of Ghibli's tech and same people) was only HDR10+ on the 4K UHD release, because that was all Panasonic supported at the time. The Blu-ray was 12-bit, but the 4K UHD was 10-bit. Still hoping they rerelease it in Dolby Vision sometime in the future.

#14 ·
Strangely, Mary and the Witch's Flower (which was made by Studio Ponoc but still has most of Ghibli's tech and same people) was only HDR10+ on the 4K UHD release, because that was all Panasonic supported at the time. The Blu-ray was 12-bit, but the 4K UHD was 10-bit. Still hoping they rerelease it in Dolby Vision sometime in the future.

^hdr10+ is similar to dolby vision it is capable of 12 to 16bit as well.

so 10+ is backwards compatible to 10 but if you had a display that was capable of hdr10+ decoding it is possible to have more.

but all of this 10, 12, 16 bit is moot, every single display on the market is still 10bits max. no 12, 16 bit display technologies currently exists.

• Love
Reactions: Hydra Spectre