Any appreciable difference in DVD and Blu Ray audio versions of same material? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any appreciable difference in audio quality between DVD and Blu Ray versions of the same musical material--i.e., the same concert, etc. I'm not concerned with video quality, only 5.1 sound, usually of classical music. I'd just like to know if the greater price for the blu ray version is reflected in overall sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Yes.

Whether or not you can actually hear the difference depends on the quality of your listening environment, including (in rough order of importance) your own hearing, the room, the speakers and the audio and video electronics.

DVDs use lossy compression in their surround-sound Dolby or DTS audio tracks, although some include lossless PCM stereo tracks. Also, for Dolby, at least, they can use any of several different levels of compression and resulting loss of quality. Still, I was quite surprised at how good some of the early music DVDs sounded, even though they didn't use the maximum bitrate available. The psychoacoustic principles that the compression techniques are based on are quite effective. A simplistic example is that a quiet sound at one frequency is easily made inaudible by a very loud sound at another. Also, when video is included, many people are sufficiently distracted by what they see that they are much more forgiving of the sound.

Most (but not all!) BDs use lossless compression for their primary tracks, so you can be sure you'll hear every nuance included by the people who mixed the audio tracks. Which lossless compression is used doesn't matter, of course -- LPCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MasterAudio -- lossless is lossless. What matters is the quality of the mixing performed on the audio by the studio.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page