Where are Concert re-releases in Blue Ray? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Two of my favorite concert DVD's, "Loggins and Messina Live - Sittin' in Again at Santa Barbara Bowl " and "Barbara Streisand: One Voice", have long been available on DVD but not Blue Ray. They are both shown in 16:9 format and were recorded recently enough to have HD quality and sound in the master recording. It would seem simple enough and not very expensive for them to put these great concerts out in 1080P and lossless audio. I'm sure there are some industry people on this forum who could speculate or know first hand why this hasn't been done.

Any thoughts?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Two of my favorite concert DVD's, "Loggins and Messina Live - Sittin' in Again at Santa Barbara Bowl " and "Barbara Streisand: One Voice", have long been available on DVD but not Blue Ray. They are both shown in 16:9 format and were recorded recently enough to have HD quality and sound in the master recording. It would seem simple enough and not very expensive for them to put these great concerts out in 1080P and lossless audio. I'm sure there are some industry people on this forum who could speculate or know first hand why this hasn't been done.

Any thoughts?
I haven't seen either of these.
But the Loggins and Messina one according to imdb was from 2005 and in Digital Betacam. That could mean it was only shot in NTSC (720×486) standard definition, so if true would have to be upscaled to be put in highdef.

The One Voice one according to imdb is from 1986 and is 1.33:1 and mono. Since it's from 1986 that would mean it would be before HD cameras were normally used and there's also the fact that it (according to imdb) is 1.33:1 and not widescreen. If it was shot on 35mm film they could put it on BD.

Also, 1080p on Blu-ray won't currently be the best for live concerts, since it restricts to 24Hz, unlike the other BD formats. Though if that's what they were shot at they are limited to that.

There's also the costs/profits issue. How profitable they would be if put on BD and would the picture/audio quality be good enough.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

I haven't seen either of these.
But the Loggins and Messina one according to imdb was from 2005 and in Digital Betacam. That could mean it was only shot in NTSC (720×486) standard definition, so if true would have to be upscaled to be put in highdef.

The One Voice one according to imdb is from 1986 and is 1.33:1 and mono. Since it's from 1986 that would mean it would be before HD cameras were normally used and there's also the fact that it (according to imdb) is 1.33:1 and not widescreen. If it was shot on 35mm film they could put it on BD.

Also, 1080p on Blu-ray won't currently be the best for live concerts, since it restricts to 24Hz, unlike the other BD formats. Though if that's what they were shot at they are limited to that.

There's also the costs/profits issue. How profitable they would be if put on BD and would the picture/audio quality be good enough.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the Streisand concert was that old. My, how time flys!

Jack
post #4 of 4 Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still waiting for the Genesis Invisible Touch Tour on Blu-ray. Its Laser Disc release was also called Hi-Def Live, as it was recorded in the analog 1080i format in the early 1990s. That would be an excellent as well as historic release of early high-definition video in the Blu-ray format. It was released on DVD, but I could swear that version is not even as good as the Laser Disc.

There was a discussion of releasing this Genesis recording on the D-VHS format, but that never happened.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page