Why Blu-ray is a big disappointment for Home Theater aficiandos - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

I think what the OP 'meant' to say is you are forced to manually skip some of the previews/commercials i.e. you can't simply navigate directly to the main title screen, which is true; you are forced to start watching the start of certain preview before you can 'skip'/FF through them.
I believe this is for DVD as well on a DVD player.
The Blu-ray players are the ones that allow a DVD to skip to the main menu once the disc starts a trailer/preview.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 11-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

BDs are expensive. I think it's a legitimate gripe. A lot of non-AV stuff has made the format more expensive than it had to be.
Compared to what?
Compared to CD which is around the same price and only took a couple of months to produce by a small group of people in a studio?
Compared to DVD which is of inferior quality and would make no sense to be the same price?
I'm not sure why you're calling Blu-ray expensive unless you're comparing it to other things which you think are worth the money you're paying.
I think today's BD prices are pretty fair.

Youth is wasted on the wrong people.
post #33 of 39 Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I am disappointed with Blu-ray disc. I think all Home Theater aficionados should be disappointed with it as well. What's most upsetting with it is that most of my gripes with Blu-ray stem from things unrelated to AV stuff and more related to business/money stuff.

I agree. Blu-ray is a disappointment for me too.

Although picture quality is better on Blu-ray, it's not that much better than DVD to overcome all the negatives of Blu-ray. I too find the extra cost, DRM inconvenience and constant updating just to play stuff a major burden. I pretty much don't watch Blu-ray for these reasons. I think most people feel the same because DVD is still going strong. If Blu-ray hadn't been so burdened with DRM and licensing fees and more focus had gone into making it consumer-friendly I think it would have made DVD much less prevalent by now. I think Blu-ray would have ultimately made more money and been more successful if it wasn't so controlled. then more people would be buying and renting it and it could have "replaced" DVD. As it stands I prefer the more "open and free" DVD even though picture quality isn't as good.

I dislike having to sit thru the warning screens. Very irksome--but this is a problem on both DVD and Blu-ray. I don't see why they have to force viewers to sit thru the warning screens. It's not like anyone that is intent on copying the disc will see that and decide not to do it. People should be able to spin up a disc and press the Menu button and be taken straight to the menu. I got no problem with there being a warning screen, it's a major turn off to be made to sit thru it though for every single movie you put in your player. Totally unnecessary.

post #34 of 39 Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by willkm79 View Post

Quote:

I am disappointed with Blu-ray disc. I think all Home Theater aficionados should be disappointed with it as well. What's most upsetting with it is that most of my gripes with Blu-ray stem from things unrelated to AV stuff and more related to business/money stuff.
I agree. Blu-ray is a disappointment for me too.

Although picture quality is better on Blu-ray, it's not that much better than DVD to overcome all the negatives of Blu-ray. I too find the extra cost, DRM inconvenience and constant updating just to play stuff a major burden. I pretty much don't watch Blu-ray for these reasons. I think most people feel the same because DVD is still going strong. If Blu-ray hadn't been so burdened with DRM and licensing fees and more focus had gone into making it consumer-friendly I think it would have made DVD much less prevalent by now. I think Blu-ray would have ultimately made more money and been more successful if it wasn't so controlled. then more people would be buying and renting it and it could have "replaced" DVD. As it stands I prefer the more "open and free" DVD even though picture quality isn't as good.

I dislike having to sit thru the warning screens. Very irksome--but this is a problem on both DVD and Blu-ray. I don't see why they have to force viewers to sit thru the warning screens. It's not like anyone that is intent on copying the disc will see that and decide not to do it. People should be able to spin up a disc and press the Menu button and be taken straight to the menu. I got no problem with there being a warning screen, it's a major turn off to be made to sit thru it though for every single movie you put in your player. Totally unnecessary.

The DRM in a DVD is just different than that on a BluRay, what is open and free about DVD? VHS and DVD were also commanding high prices in their day, if anything you have BluRay to thank for cheaper DVD now. The sound and picture quality are definitely better. The government warning is mandatory on both DVD and BluRay and can't be skipped on either (altho there may be a time frame involved with that but currently they're treated the same I'm pretty sure). What constant updating? My BDP players haven't had that issue.

I was a late comer to BluRay only because the older dvd players couldn't play one but once I got a PS3 and then later a Samsung player they could handle either; even my laptop can play both (altho only record a dvd).

I guess I just don't get the complaints so far...

Wait until 4k.....

post #35 of 39 Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
My wife and I have no interest in seeing movies more than once. So we rent them. If one wants to see a movie again in the future, one can rent it again. Perhaps that is the answer for the OP?
post #36 of 39 Old 11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

My wife and I have no interest in seeing movies more than once. So we rent them. If one wants to see a movie again in the future, one can rent it again. Perhaps that is the answer for the OP?

Curious only FMW, do you apply the same thing to books? i.e. do you use the library only? Personally I do buy some movies because I will watch them several times and like to do so when I feel like doing so; I rent discs or subscribe online for the majority, though (same for books).

post #37 of 39 Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

3) Blu-ray discs (other than new movies in their first month of release, and Disney releases) are cheap, almost give-away cheap often, and certainly cheaper accounting for inflation than ANY other format ever has been at this age since its start.

Quote:

Some Blu-rays are priced similar to DVD, but many (if not most) are priced significantly higher than DVD. Checking a few stores just now for movies I would like to buy, it would be significantly more expensive for me to buy Blu-rays than DVDs. So I wouldn't call them cheap, certainly not give-away cheap.
Of course DVDs today are cheaper than Blu-ray discs today. They are NOT high definition!

The key to my comment is to compare 2004 DVD prices, accounting for inflation, to Blu-ray disc prices today, for comparable-age movies (a 2002 movie in '04, and a 2011 movie today). I think the Blu-ray disc prices will be cheaper, plus they ARE high definition.

I have bought Blu-ray movies such as Ben-Hur or The Wizard Of Oz for $10 or less, in 2012-13 dollars. I call that give-away cheap. Maybe someone thinks they should be able to own such movies in superb quality for less money than that?

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #38 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 14
Of course I would like much cheaper discs, but I cannot completely agree with the OP on the pricing. I see deals all over the place, the new Superman that dropped last week is $25 for the 3D Blueray combo pack at two places right now. Preorder for the Wolverine combo pack is under $30 right now. Thats 3D for the theatre, blueray for the living room, DVD for the kids on our monthly long 2+ hour car trips, and a CD code my sisters kids can watch. Sounds like a good value to me.

I know I'm going to catch flack for saying this, but my kids play their Tinkerbell video 2-3 times a week on our PS3 slim. There was extra stuff the first time we played it, but now maybe one warning then main title. It even asks if we want to continue from the last time we played. So Disney/Pixar is good about replayability...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post

I know I'm going to catch flack for saying this, but my kids play their Tinkerbell video 2-3 times a week on our PS3 slim.

As a father of 6 girls........ you need say no more. Add Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and so on, and so on.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page