bad jitter on acorn tv (foyle's war) --- 50Hz interlaced transfer?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
for some reason, the acorn tv British series suffer from bad jitter. I have tried the DVD, netflix, and acorn-TV streaming for Foyle's War, Series S1, on my Sony BDVE 390. bad jitter. jumping every other second or so. on my macbook pro, the quality of these early series is a lot better. so I suspected that it was the sony player. alas, I then tried the hidef version of S7 streamed from acorn-TV to my Macbook Pro, and I am getting the same bad jitter here, too.

the problem differs a little device by device, but there is something fundamentally disturbing about the transfer. It is almost unwatchable. it is not subtle. odd---it is 2014 now, and bad encoding problems should have been left behind us a decade ago.

I presume the problem is related to a problem with the transfer encoding from a European show, originally 50Hz interlaced, perhaps with a missing flag?! I am trying to figure out what the encoding is on the DVDs. Does anyone know how to find out under OSX? (vlc shows me the startup menu, but does not start playing the disk. I also do not see any "properties" on the files.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-03-2013, 04:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 355
These are North American versions? I have them all and don't recall problems. They are all DVD, except the most recent season is Blu-ray.

Is this a continuous or intermittent problem? Always at the same spot?

Can you cycle through output resolutions on your player? Do you get different results with say 480i vs 1080p?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Perhaps a firmware update will fix if yours isn't up to date. My Sony (PS3) player won't play European formats at all (won't load ) . There's a thread in the disc player section here regarding Sony hardware models. Seemed like a damaged disc --until you mention another player handles. -- John
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page