Noob question: do blu ray movies carry both Dolby 5.1 and DTS soundtracks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am building my audio for my new recroom and I am looking at the Sonos Playbar and sub. the Playbar doesn't have DTS decoding so I assume I wont be able to hear those movies tracks.

My question is this: Do blu ray movies come with both Dolby and DTS tracks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 231
No. Majority of BD discs are DTS-HD only which come with DTS 5.1 core. No DD. Only those with Dolby TrueHD tracks will have mandatory DD 5.1 hidden track.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabbq View Post

I am building my audio for my new recroom and I am looking at the Sonos Playbar and sub. the Playbar doesn't have DTS decoding so I assume I wont be able to hear those movies tracks.

My question is this: Do blu ray movies come with both Dolby and DTS tracks?

As already posted, many blu-ray releases do not offer dolby digital sound. However, if you play such a blu-ray via a device that does not support dts, I believe you will find that the blu-ray player can determine this and send 2 channel pcm down the line to your audio player.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

~~Well I went to listen to the Sonos again and do some research in store. I looked at 30+ Blu ray movies and all had the DD 5.1 as well as the DTS formatting. I spoke to a guy and he said that DD 5.1 will come through the Optical as long as the TV is able to passthrough the signal. All of my worries have been laid to rest. The Sonos sounds fantastic. I listened to the Pioneer again as well, and my true thoughts are that the Pioneer sounds thin. I know the 2 are not int he same price point, but I am going to take the leap and go Sonos. Thanks to all who offered their personal insight and experiences.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 AM

Liked: 87
Are you sure the DD was in English? There are indeed some that will have a DTS-MA HD soundtrack and a DD English soundtrack. However, there are others that use the DTS-MA HD for English and then save DD for other languages. There are some that don't have DD at all. It's up to the authoring organization since there is nothing in the Blu-Ray spec that requires DD to be used.

On those titles without DD you'll be able to get 2-channel PCM instead.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Are you sure the DD was in English? There are indeed some that will have a DTS-MA HD soundtrack and a DD English soundtrack. However, there are others that use the DTS-MA HD for English and then save DD for other languages. There are some that don't have DD at all. It's up to the authoring organization since there is nothing in the Blu-Ray spec that requires DD to be used.

On those titles without DD you'll be able to get 2-channel PCM instead.

Good question, I never looked deeper at it other than just looking at the back and seeing the DD insignia. I figured that having both insignias designated they have both tracks in their respective format. I never thought of the idea of DD being in other languages only.

Back to being confused.

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page