Handbrake - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a popbox and have started ripping movies I own so this is not a piracy thread. What settings is everyone using. Some movies seem to compress really well and others don't seem to compress very well at all, both on rf 18. Any explanation.

I would also be curious on how big a library you have vs movies. I would like to keep by movies at 10 gb with surround sound. Some compress to 6gb others stay at 18. I don't understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf1096 View Post

I just got a popbox and have started ripping movies I own so this is not a piracy thread. What settings is everyone using. Some movies seem to compress really well and others don't seem to compress very well at all, both on rf 18. Any explanation.

I would also be curious on how big a library you have vs movies. I would like to keep by movies at 10 gb with surround sound. Some compress to 6gb others stay at 18. I don't understand it.

Try this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336046/ripping-blu-rays-ii

Some films do compress better than others. It has to do with the nature of the image; some are naturally more noisy and don't compress as well. Natural film grain is noisy.

For Blu-ray I use q=20, Normal profile.

For DVD: q=18, High profile.

-Bill
post #3 of 3 Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when i use handbrake i usually have a specific purpose behind the encoding that affects my settings... generally speaking i never use constant quality but go for a specific average bitrate (to hit a file size target) with 2 pass encoding and i always use the advanced tab to set my encoding options based on what the target playback device supports

plus the content can dictate which encoding options work best... for example animation vs live action

there is no real catch all settings with video encoding
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page