Upconverting from NTSC vs PAL? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upconverting is a standard feature for players nowadays, but I'm having trouble conceptualizing the impact on quality on converting from a PAL disc vs to NTSC.

Here's the scenario:

Tivo records something in Hi-Def, and then to make a DVD out of it I have to convert it into MP4 or some other format first. Part of this process involves selecting PAL or NTSC as an output format before burning the file, and 576i just seems like it would have to be higher resolution than 480i (NTSC).

It seems to me that in the process of converting down from 720p (Tivo?) you throw away information that can't ever be regained in the upconversion process again.

Of course the perfect solution would be burning a Blu-ray disc, but that's lots more money.

Is this explained for me anywhere? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 365
DVD Video has a maximum resolution of 720x480 @ 60hz or 720x576 @ 50hz. Those are standard definition resolutions. You're right: once you throw away higher resolution you can't recover it.

I don't have a tivo; are you sure you have to convert to DVD Video. Media files like mp4 are not constrained by the older limits these days.

-Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I don't have a tivo; are you sure you have to convert to DVD Video. Media files like mp4 and not constrained by the older limits these days.
This is the obvious answer. I guess I don't! I suppose I could just burn the MP4 file to the media and go with that.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

BTW: I did both NTSC and PAL and it seemed to me that playback on the latter was better.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't waste the time or money burning to DVD. Output from the Tivo into a mp4 file to maintain the quality, and then find a player that can play the mp4 files. There are numerous options for playback, newer mid to high end TV's have file playback support, as do DVD players, and Blu-Ray players. There are also dedicated players such as the WD Live (and many others) or gaming systems (ie: XBox, PS3, etc.). And of course you could use a PC/HTPC.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I completed an experiment taking the MP4 files from the Tivo and converting them to .m2ts, and buring an UDF 2.50 DVD.

Popped it into the Blu-ray, and it worked like a charm. Treated it just like it was a Blu-ray disc. Resolution was fantastic, too.

Of course it would spook most users that would see the disc and assume it was meant for a DVD player.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page