post #31 of 40 Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

That makes no difference to most people and has made no impact in the Blu-ray market.

I think it has...I mean, I don't just BUY any BD. The fact that my projector makes DVDs look good, means I don't have to.

But I try to read about every disc (catalog title) I buy...unlike in the DVD days, i simply BOUGHT on street date.

And to his point, there are some bad transfers out there...

I'm still afraid to open my Gladiator disc that I bought for I researched everything.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

I think it has...I mean, I don't just BUY any BD. The fact that my projector makes DVDs look good, means I don't have to.

I know over a dozen regular consumer electronics people who own Blu-ray players. Absolutely none of them have any complaints about any Blu-ray disc they have ever bought. They don't even know what a "transfer" is, nor do they care.

They've watched Back to the Future on Blu-ray and are thrilled by how much "sharper" it is than the DVD. That's what they want to see when they watch the Blu-ray instead of the DVD.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Hey, its just my opinion.

I have hundreds of DVDs...but not hundreds of blu-rays...if they were all perfect for the use that I'm using for (a projector), I'd buy em up.

The fact is they aren't. Obviously other people with smaller screens see a bit of an improvement, but that doesn't work for a large screen.

Just my 2 cents.

TK Doom

post #34 of 40 Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

I think it has...I mean, I don't just BUY any BD. The fact that my projector makes DVDs look good, means I don't have to. But I try to read about every disc (catalog title) I buy...unlike in the DVD days, i simply BOUGHT on street date. And to his point, there are some bad transfers out there... I'm still afraid to open my Gladiator disc that I bought for I researched everything

Hey, its just my opinion. I have hundreds of DVDs...but not hundreds of blu-rays...if they were all perfect for the use that I'm using for (a projector), I'd buy em up. The fact is they aren't. Obviously other people with smaller screens see a bit of an improvement, but that doesn't work for a large screen. Just my 2 cents.

So it's your opinion that Blu-ray looks better for people with smaller screens, but not for people with bigger screens (projection)? Also, you stick with DVD because Blu-ray discs aren't perfect? But if Blu-ray discs were perfect, you would buy them? I'm just trying to get a bead on your logic, because it confuses me.
post #35 of 40 Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Yeah, wow.

post #36 of 40 Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

On a smaller screen you can't see the "issues" with bad authoring?

Not sure what is not to understand.

Some people that are into BD might be triple or quadruple dipping at this point.

VHS/DVD/BD, various special editions throughout the years...

One would think that the consumer deserves perfection of the system by now, otherwise, whats the point?

Why would I "upgrade" a DVD to a BD that isn't perfect?

The technology is there to make it right, is it the consumers fault that the studios don't do a great job on it?

TK Doom

post #37 of 40 Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

On a smaller screen you can't see the "issues" with bad authoring?

OK, I didn't see that as the reason in your other post.
Quote:

That's completely your choice (obviously), but I think you're missing out. I don't have the best projector in the world (Epson 8350), but nearly every Blu-ray I watch at 110" is superior to its DVD counterpart. Small screen or big screen, actually, the difference is nearly always welcome. The exceptions being discs with egregious filtering applied.

I completely understand being picky and only buying the best of the best, but your previous posts didn't clearly express that. I wasn't trying to pick a fight.
post #38 of 40 Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Actually, I kinda follow this logic personally, too. I'm treating each BD purchase as my "last purchase at the end of the upgrade treadmill" that started in many cases with VHS. Yeah, I know 4K media might exist someday--but I strongly doubt I'll care.

For new titles to my collection, Blu-ray is usually the obvious choice if it's available. But there are exceptions, such as if the Blu-ray is some awful Director's Cut that I can avoid by buying the DVD, like with Amadeus. Often in those cases I won't buy the title at all in any format, hoping that a BD reissue comes along to fix the problem. But sometimes I know a lost cause when I see one and just buy the DVD (the Star Wars trilogy as a bunch of crappy non-anamorphic bonus DVDs, for example). A poor presentation of a good film trumps a stunning presentation of a poor film, in my book anyway.

For titles already in my collection, it's pretty much the same thing except with less urgency. I skipped the first Fargo Blu-ray, got the second. Would have been happy with the first Casablanca Blu-ray, but was glad I was just too slow and got the second. I'm still happily waiting with my DVDs of My Fair Lady and Do the Right Thing. But I also know that some titles are unlikely to get a second Blu-ray treatment, so I went ahead and bought the deeply flawed Life of Brian Blu-ray because it's probably as good as it's going to get. That sort of thing.
post #39 of 40 Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I usually prefer the quality of BD but I'm often disappointed when I "upgrade" from DVD. The quality is often worse in some ways. For instance, the image compression can be very goofy, e.g. some small part of the picture oddly moving in a completely different manor as the whole image making it look like it's floating around as if the video is a very poorly-done composite... VERY annoying to me. Also, it bugs me when the image quality changes from scene-to-scene... looks like it's been piecemealed from different movies. I feel cheated when there are "preventable" strange anomalies in the movies I paid my hard-earned money for. If that's the best they're going to publish to BD then I'd rather have some movies on DVD.

EDIT: Yes, I know DVD can have odd anomalies too but for whatever reason I see them fewer times on DVD vs. BD and they're usually less pronounced. I don't know if this is due to the differing formats or how well they're processed/compressed.
post #40 of 40 Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The "floating composite" thing you're talking about sounds like frozen grain to me, and it's what happens when grain-scrubbing goes even more wrong than it inherently is. That's probably new to the HD masters used for Blu-rays, but even if it's not, it's probably more apparent in HD due to the resolution. Definitely preventable error if that's what you're talking about. But there's also some actual film compositing done for VFX which was less-than-perfect, and Blu-ray reveals those flaws too, and that's not a problem with the Blu-ray.

The image quality changing from scene to scene is often the result of optical effects and zooms and is part of the analogue filmmaking process. Again, not a problem with the Blu-ray--although, to be fair, Blu-ray is usually based on earlier-generation film elements than projection prints, so theatrical presentations may not have had all the detail of the Blu-ray.

If you're interested, you can get the benefits of the Blu-ray (audio, progressive video) without getting the hi-res image which reveals some of these flaws in the source material. You can (or at least I can) set your Blu-ray player to output 720p or 480p, which would flatten out the quality differences to lowest-common-denominator resolution like DVD does. Not that I'd recommend this for every title, but I could see how it might help in a hypothetical scenario with a particularly jarring transition.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page