AVS Forum banner

Sony Hurting because of BDs?

4K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  CatBus 
#1 ·
#4 ·
#5 ·
If you watch the posting rates on the BD forums, you'll notice that they dropped off a cliff recently. I suspect that the sheeple are fat and happy with netflix....

Seggers

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24670977

Yes, I am....renting Blu-rays instead of buying them.

And that's great. But if you watch the forums here, the post rate and amount of posts has decline quite a bit. And, not that you would have known this, that includes me. We cut the cable and went to netflix. Where I found a bunch of old shows that I used to watch.

Seggers

#8 ·
In business parlance, Blu-rays are a mature market segment by this point. I think this is more an excuse and easy scapegoat than the root cause of Sony's problems. It doesn't look like Blu-ray will directly replace DVD like that format completely replaced VHS, but that has been known for a few years by now.

There is definitely a waning interest in Blu-ray-related discussion across the Internet. I know that Blu-ray reviews are getting fewer and fewer views in the past year or two.

#9 ·
I completely stopped DVD purchases a long time ago.

If streaming video ever approaches the PQ/AQ level of blu-ray, then maybe I would consider it, assuming the ISPs don't charge us to death for excessive usage.

Maybe Sony should consider expending more effort in making blu-ray players & software with higher quality & improved flexibility.

Redirecting the $$ they waste on their DRM infatuation to better products might do wonders.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24670997

In business parlance, Blu-rays are a mature market segment by this point. I think this is more an excuse and easy scapegoat than the root cause of Sony's problems. It doesn't look like Blu-ray will directly replace DVD like that format completely replaced VHS, but that has been known for a few years by now.

Other than picture quality, Blu-ray offers no jump in features compared to DVD that DVD did compared to VHS.

DVD offered several improvements over tape:

- No need to rewind anything after watching.

- The ability to skip to your favorite parts of a movie.

- Noticeably less storage space required.

- Less likelihood of damage simply from playing it and having the player eat it.

- Better shelf life.

- Better image quality

- Special features (for those that like that sort of thing) - in some cases, that includes games for kids.

Plus, as the format progressed, it allowed for:

- greater portability with portable players and laptop drives

- alternate versions of films, such as unrated or extended version

- the ability to collect full TV seasons instead of selected episodes

- the ability to copy and make backups of discs using the drive already in your computer

Blu-ray, on the other hand, is still often more expensive than the same DVD titles, has onerous copy protection that takes forever to load the movie and the drives and portable players aren't nearly as widely available.

Better picture quality simply isn't enough for most people. It has to be easier to use and offer a financial advantage. Blu-ray does neither.

#12 ·
Noticed how the article is stating the blu-ray format is a Sony format? Of course here that is only claimed when is it advantageous.

Sony has bet the entire company on the PS4, if it is having a short fall it is because of the game console focus.

Anyway there is no let up in the releasing of catalog titles BDs which is the only thing I care about and if some what crummy pq streaming video well let the punishment fit the crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24670996

And that's great. But if you watch the forums here, the post rate and amount of posts has decline quite a bit. And, not that you would have known this, that includes me. We cut the cable and went to netflix. Where I found a bunch of old shows that I used to watch.

The drop off here happened soon after the forum software here was switched, not an amazing coincidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24671190

Other than picture quality, Blu-ray offers no jump in features compared to DVD that DVD did compared to VHS.

Blu-ray, on the other hand, is still often more expensive than the same DVD titles, has onerous copy protection that takes forever to load the movie and the drives and portable players aren't nearly as widely available.

Better picture quality simply isn't enough for most people. It has to be easier to use and offer a financial advantage. Blu-ray does neither.

Gee it is like you have no experience with blu-ray. There are portable players widely available, they are called laptops which are superior in every way to the old dvd portables. There are a lot features added not on DVD, some are gimmicks (which includes stereovision) of debatable merit but claiming there none or little is utterly false.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24670940

If you watch the posting rates on the BD forums, you'll notice that they dropped off a cliff recently.
Depends on what you mean by "recently". Last few months? Last couple years?

Because there hasn't been **** for releases this year. I haven't bought a disc in months because there just haven't been any to buy. I look at the upcoming releases, and it looks like it'll be even more months before I buy anything else. They can't complain about crappy sales if they're not selling anything.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24672265

Noticed how the article is stating the blu-ray format is a Sony format? Of course here that is only claimed when is it advantageous.

Sony has bet the entire company on the PS4, if it is having a short fall it is because of the game console focus.

Anyway there is no let up in the releasing of catalog titles BDs which is the only thing I care about and if some what crummy pq streaming video well let the punishment fit the crime.

The drop off here happened soon after the forum software here was switched, not an amazing coincidence.

Gee it is like you have no experience with blu-ray. There are portable players widely available, they are called laptops which are superior in every way to the old dvd portables. There are a lot features added not on DVD, some are gimmicks (which includes stereovision) of debatable merit but claiming there none or little is utterly false.

I don't see how changing the software on the forums would affect people posting here. The URLs are the same, as in the sign in details. I still see a bunch of names that I knew from before. However, I do agree with the next one I'm going to quote....

Seggers

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24672338

Depends on what you mean by "recently". Last few months? Last couple years?

Because there hasn't been **** for releases this year. I haven't bought a disc in months because there just haven't been any to buy. I look at the upcoming releases, and it looks like it'll be even more months before I buy anything else. They can't complain about crappy sales if they're not selling anything.

I am really feeling the AVS love today...

By recently, I mean within the last couple of months or so. I used to see many threads get updated on a regular basis and a page or so of updates. Now, it's not unusual to see threads that haven't been touched in days still sitting on the front page. Right now, the thread on the first page was last touched March 29th.

However, I totally agree about the GiGo idea. I have been less and less inclined to go to the cinema and that equates in less inclination in buying shiny BD disks. I would think that that would have a big impact on buying habits. Pump out crap, that doesn't survive a second watching and sometimes barely the first, and people just don't buy it.

Seggers

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24673816

The blu-ray.com forum is still very vibrant with tons of posts. I monitor it for talk of new releases and I'm still buying tons of Blu-Rays.

Which lends credence to the software change on AVS being the real culprit.

If Blu-ray (or HD-DVD) had hit the market unchallenged, I think we all would have been much better off now. Apple and Microsoft are really to blame here, IMO. Microsoft supported HD-DVD on paper and on the 360 only as an afterthought attempt to delay PS3/Blu-ray purchases while pushing their own digital store that they hoped would be competition for iTunes. Meanwhile, Microsoft did not include Blu-ray or HD-DVD decoder software in Windows natively like they did with DVD playback in Vista and 7. They clearly had no interest in truly supporting either format. Apple has been much more earnest in its efforts to eliminate all physical media from its ecosystem, instead relying upon its successful iTunes platform. Sony probably could have made licensing the technology cheaper to promote broader acceptance, but that's never been their style.

So does this mean that 4K-BD will be relegated to LaserDisc status in the next cycle? More expensive and limited availability? I just hope we have some sort of option aside from digital delivery.

#19 ·
Yeah, my thoughts were toward the fate of 4K Blu-Ray as well.

Btw, I keep seeing mention of some forum software change being responsible for dropping avs membership. What's that about?

I've been a member since 2001 and I don't remember any software change that would have any impact on my coming to or using this forum.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24673846

Btw, I keep seeing mention of some forum software change being responsible for dropping avs membership. What's that about? I've been a member since 2001 and I don't remember any software change that would have any impact on my coming to or using this forum.

Just a couple years ago when the forum was redesigned as part of a migration to a new platform. It's anecdotal at best, but a lot of people did not like it, voiced their issues, literally stopped posting, and moved to other forums. I don't really remember what the complaints were anymore, but I didn't really care. Personally, I have had no issues, but I have noticed a decline in BD-related posts since that move.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24671190

DVD offered several improvements over tape:

- No need to rewind anything after watching.

- The ability to skip to your favorite parts of a movie.

- Noticeably less storage space required.

- Less likelihood of damage simply from playing it and having the player eat it.

- Better shelf life.

- Better image quality

- Special features (for those that like that sort of thing) - in some cases, that includes games for kids.

Plus, as the format progressed, it allowed for:

- greater portability with portable players and laptop drives

- alternate versions of films, such as unrated or extended version

- the ability to collect full TV seasons instead of selected episodes

- the ability to copy and make backups of discs using the drive already in your computer

Let's not forget the large audio improvement of Blu-ray with lossless audio. This is rather noticeable even with a very modest 5.1 system.

BD-Live is also something DVD never had although it never interested me.

#23 ·
DVD had the one thing that Blu-Ray has never been able to achieve: Accessibility. DVD-ROM drives became standard equipment for computers within the space of a few years after being introduced and Blu-Ray just hasn't gotten that level of support from the PC industry and probably never will given that the days of the 17/18-inch entertainment notebook are pretty much over now.

#24 ·
Perhaps BD is destined the same fate as SACD... a small niche market? I personally don't think so. Most disc players sold today play both formats so, eventually most or all movies can be sold in BD only. Provided BD is priced competitively with DVD then most consumers won't complain unless they have very outdated players. Even then, budget BD players can be had for $30-50.

#25 ·
It was only a matter of time, really. Digital downloads for music (lossy or lossless), digital downloads for games and applications (Steam, Origin, Adobe CS, Apple/Microsoft/Android app stores). Nearly all other media are streamed digitally (Pandora, Netflix, Prime, iHeartRadio...). Microsoft wants to move to subscription-based Office and Windows. Google is pushing Chrome OS. All digitally delivered. The big media conglomerates like NBC and HBO want to get people into subscription plans to watch content in walled gardens. I mean what's left besides movies at this point?

Unfortunately Billy Bob at Walmart doesn't give a crap about lossless audio, quality transfers, 1080p, or 4K, he just wants a $200 TV on layaway to watch broadcast TV and probably doesn't even know whether it's in HD or not (but he says it is since it's an HDTV).

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24674442

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1529911/sony-hurting-because-of-bds#post_24673846

Btw, I keep seeing mention of some forum software change being responsible for dropping avs membership. What's that about? I've been a member since 2001 and I don't remember any software change that would have any impact on my coming to or using this forum.

Just a couple years ago when the forum was redesigned as part of a migration to a new platform. It's anecdotal at best, but a lot of people did not like it, voiced their issues, literally stopped posting, and moved to other forums. I don't really remember what the complaints were anymore, but I didn't really care. Personally, I have had no issues, but I have noticed a decline in BD-related posts since that move.
Yes, posting to this forum and traffic fell off after AVS switched to a new platform, one replete with ads. On one of my older computers, I had to block nearly every ad on this site for it to load properly.

Traffic in some of the other sub-forums haven't had as much of a noticeable fall-off, mostly because they are the only places to hold serious discussions on certain equipment on the whole Internet. AVS lost a lot of Blu-ray traffic to Blu-ray.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.