• 1 Post By RFK54
  • 1 Post By 42Plasmaman

post #1 of 20 Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is there anyone else out that with a significant stash of DvD's from even the early days when they are released that still pop them in to watch at times? I still have a good stash that I haven't replaced with bluray versions when I can find them cheap. I'm now noticing that many of them have now degraded to the point where they totally skip several chapters for no reason. In the It world, we have knows that DvD's would degrade but the I didn't think it would happen so soon. I'm now worried that my Blurays disks will do the same.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No signs of any bitrot on mine yet--I am assuming any cases of this may be very title-specific, as they often were for Laserdisc.

I do wonder, however, if what you're dealing with is actually scratches or a faulty/dirty DVD laser in your player. IMO those are much more likely to happen at a much faster rate than true bitrot.

More to the point, if some of my DVDs have lasted ~20 years without even a hint of bitrot (no discolorations even), I'm assuming Blu-rays will fare better.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Unless they are burned copies, you shouldn't see any widespread issues.
post #4 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 367
The issue seems mostly confined to specific runs of movies from specific periods where the discs were delaminating. It's not a DVD issue, it was a product quality issue from certain pressings.

If I remember correctly, it hit a lot of Fox titles from some years back.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
It's not a percentage of great magnitude, but there is evidence that a certain percentage (10%?) of early DVDs are beginning to fail. They don't fail entirely but will stop at a certain point or skip chapters. I don't think DVDs are nearly reliable as early CDs. DVD manufacturing seemed to have been designed with more of an eye on keeping costs down instead of long-term longevity and reliability.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
DVD and CD are completely different discs. DVD is a sandwich of 2 discs, CD is one disc. BD is yet another very different animal. Degraded DVDs might have a visible defect. Since the OP hasn't posted back revealing whether these are store-bought or copies, there's no way to tell what might be going on there. But I would say that a 10% failure rate is VERY high and well beyond what should be expected.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

Is there anyone else out that with a significant stash of DvD's from even the early days when they are released that still pop them in to watch at times? I still have a good stash that I haven't replaced with bluray versions when I can find them cheap. I'm now noticing that many of them have now degraded to the point where they totally skip several chapters for no reason. In the It world, we have knows that DvD's would degrade but the I didn't think it would happen so soon. I'm now worried that my Blurays disks will do the same.

Did you store your DVDs in a harsh environment?
post #8 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are store bought and only came out of their cases to watch (so only a few times). They sit in my home theater (8 years now) with very stable temp controls. Brave heart was the last disk to go. I play them in my theater on a PS3 that has no issues at all. The disks looked to be in flawless condition, not even finger prints.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #9 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Its probably your laser going bad in the player especially seeing PS3 plays fine.All my dvd's from years ago all play fine. I update players every few years--sounds typical of a laser dying to me.Burnt discs dont last all that long either and gave up on them years ago.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #10 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

Its probably your laser going bad in the player especially seeing PS3 plays fine.All my dvd's from years ago all play fine. I update players every few years--sounds typical of a laser dying to me.Burnt discs dont last all that long either and gave up on them years ago.

I would also agree.
Some early Anchor Bay titles and many, many of the 2 sided DVD's, which had 1 movie per side were or went defective, but it''s usually the DVD//Bluray player thats the problem and cause.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

If the discs were bad the PS3 wouldn't play them either---could be dust on the laser too but if the player is a few years old a new one would be best bet.They are not expensive now but a bit more if going 3D.

post #12 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

They are store bought and only came out of their cases to watch (so only a few times). They sit in my home theater (8 years now) with very stable temp controls. Brave heart was the last disk to go. I play them in my theater on a PS3 that has no issues at all. The disks looked to be in flawless condition, not even finger prints.

Like the others I suggest double checking the DVDs by playing them on something other then the PS3. Also when you say 'sit in my home theater' do you mean right next to the equipment?
post #13 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have 3 PS3's in the house, same issue on only those disks. Side note, I still have around 500 DvD's and most play perfectly fine. I'm at around 1000 Blurays now which never have an issue. They are stored on a rack in the back of the room, the closest speaker may be 10 feet away. My 7 mono block amps are a good 25 feet away and such.

post #14 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK54 View Post

I would also agree.
Some early Anchor Bay titles and many, many of the 2 sided DVD's, which had 1 movie per side were or went defective, but it''s usually the DVD//Bluray player thats the problem and cause.

You know what, I think the ones Ive had issues with are 2 sided.

post #15 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Liked: 12
Yeah, 2 sided discs are known for either being defective right from the start or eventually going bad. It's usually a good idea to make backup copies of these discs just in case.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK54 View Post

Yeah, 2 sided discs are known for either being defective right from the start or eventually going bad. It's usually a good idea to make backup copies of these discs just in case.

Agreed. 4TB is only $130...
post #17 of 20 Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

If the discs were bad the PS3 wouldn't play them either---could be dust on the laser too but if the player is a few years old a new one would be best bet.They are not expensive now but a bit more if going 3D.
That's not necessarily true.

The PS3 is actually a pretty robust player compared to a lot of standalone players. You could drag a disc down the street, then use it for a doggie chew toy and the PS3 would still likely play it.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

On the whole it would be true.If some players play it fine and another doesnt--usually its the laser fading or the lens damaged or scratched which happens if the laser malfunctions and actually hits the discs.I have seen this happen even dust build up on the lens which happens on players a few years old that have fans in them--most dont now.I have even see the laser carriage runners get a bit dry and the sled doesnt move smoothly at certain parts of its travels.I had 700 dvd's and only had troubles with players as stated earlier and a new player solved it.

post #19 of 20 Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
IIRC, blu-ray players have an independent laser for DVD and blu-ray.
So it's possible for one to wear out or come out of alignment and have issues while the other laser works perfectly.
raj_rios likes this.

post #20 of 20 Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

IIRC, blu-ray players have an independent laser for DVD and blu-ray.
So it's possible for one to wear out or come out of alignment and have issues while the other laser works perfectly.
Correct, the lasers operate on different wavelengths and are not compatible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BluRayLaser.JPG
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page