AVS Forum banner

Good movie to test dynamic contrast?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Joe Bloggs 
#1 · (Edited)
Short version: I need a suggestion for a good scene in a movie where dynamic contrast is definitely being used when its enabled.

Long Version:

I have the Samsung S9C OLED 55" TV. I use it for a computer monitor. The problem I am having is dynamic contrast still appears to be on even when I turn it off.

I called Samsung and they keep wanting to blame it on my computer (I know its not that I have a 55" Samsung LED TV that hooks up exactly the same way with the same settings) and it doesn't do it.

It seems even their elite support doesn't even know what dynamic contrast is. I've called two times and both times I've had to explain to them what it does and why their built-in video test is no a valid test as it uses static images.

Here is a video of what is happening to a bright window when I drag a bright window over a dark background:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it seems to me that dynamic contrast is definitely still enabled. Also, for that matter, why would OLED even need dynamic contrast? I assume that this could be fully disabled in the service menu, but Samsung wont send anybody until I test it with a set top box of some sort :mad:

I don't really notice it in movies, but if there was a good movie to test this that would be very helpful in getting my TV working how I need it for my computer.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully you got your answer in the owners thread ;) in case you didn't make sure all of your Eco settings are off. I know with some models the Eco was "broken" so you would have to turn on then off again to make it "stick". If there is a "level " for the Eco make sure it's maxed before turning it off again.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.