AVS Forum banner

How many are you withholding purchases until 4k/atmos versions arrive?

10K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  tecknurd 
#1 ·
For brand new movies, especially ones that were mixed in Atmos from 3 years ago, I have stopped buying them altogether.

For older classics, black and white films... I don't care as much on the audio side. I won't care if they remixed casablanca or nosferatu in Atmos... but i would love those in 4k one day.

Either way, both 4k and atmos announcements are bound to kill sales. I think a bulk of blu-ray sales come from enthusiast. Average joe are still purchasing DVDs or not buying anything, but rent from redbox or stream.

What are you doing?

#2 ·
I'm going to try to keep my Blu-ray purchases at the sub-$10 price point (ideally sub-$7), unless its 3D, then I bump that higher. Or if it is a movie I really like, I go higher. There may not even be a big push for 3D in 4K, so my purchasing strategy won't change much on those.

I think it will be a long time before 4K Blu-ray hits the price points we are seeing on catalog releases and releases that have been out for a few months. But I've seen it on HD-DVD/Blu-ray and DVD, so it will happen and I won't get fooled a 3rd time.

I feel real stupid for stocking up on HD-DVD in the $10 range when Blu-ray got that cheap on most releases within a couple years.

#10 ·
i actually had a very similar strategy turls even in the very beginning of the format wars. i had a whole bunch of HD DVDs (for example U571 still has less DNR than BD) but i got rid of them once i saw BD was going to win the war. do you remember the BOGO days? that was insane how many free discs they were selling at that point. looking back a lot of them had terrible transfers... but that's part of being early adopters.

my strategy has been changed once again with 4k/atmos. anything new i'll wait for 4k+atmos. anything older, 4k maybe if it's a really great transfer.

but basically it's a complete halt for me until more 4k with or without atmos get sussed out. i did the same thing with DVDs the moment hidef discs were announced in 2005/2006 range was the moment i sold off my entire DVD collection. i didn't have much but i got rid of everything and awaited the hidef discs.

not sure if that was a sarcastic comment or not... but most silent films since the dawn of narrative films have always wanted sound and they accomplished it through music. that's why most silent films have an accompanying score, some original, some many years after. the desire was always there to have sound/music... it just wasn't technically feasible yet til post 1927. chaplin went back to all of his films and wrote scores for all of them in the 1970s i believe. and per his own instructions he actually added in sound fx in some of the films... it'd be interesting to hear those in atmos. but even music in atmos would sound amazing. hoping more lossless music take advantage of new surround technologies.

I'd love to hear an Atmos version of Nosferatu, seeing it's a silent flick. :D

#13 ·
If I end up with a 4K system, then I'll buy 4K BDs, if I don't have the BD or DVD of it already.

I wasn't one of those who rushed out and replaced every DVD with the BD version. I won't be one of those who rushes out to replace the BD with the 4K version.

Besides, you would need your own IMAX in order to see the difference. I already have a 73 TV, a 90 is in my sights to replace it with, not sure how big I'd have to go in order to use all that 4Kness....

Seggers

#14 ·
i thought everyone could drop $2mil on personal IMAX at home? easy peasy right? :D

i've been collecting since the VHS/LD days and i have never seen a featurette/behind the scenes that's worth re-watching. the closest thing is from THX1138 disc about the rise of the film school generation. after i've seen it once, i don't much care about it. it's like the upcoming Kingdom of Heaven Ultimate. i have the BD, dont care about roadshow/theatrical cut nor bonus. i'll keep the current copy in spite of MPEG2, it's still a pretty pristine transfer. i had the SD-DVD SE already and have seen/heard all the commentaries. no point in revisiting.

The problem with that is the same as if you do it now, the features may not match, and it may be years if ever before you get new versions. Iron Giant anyone?

#15 ·
One of the reasons I switched the bulk of my purchasing to UltraViolet is the potential of being able to upgrade movies, rather than replace them, as better formats emerge. The frustration of physical media is that I do not want to keep buying the same movies over and over again. At some point, it just gets to be stupid. Paying a couple bucks to upgrade to the newer format is a much better value proposition and I suspect that is what we will see in the future. I also think that the days of physical media are truly numbered.

#18 ·
I will wait on 4K as I see its a long way off... I just upgraded everything for atmos my 1080 plasmas are just fine for size and for my viewing distance but audio is another story DSU in my opinion is worth the price of admission for atmos I think 2015 will be the year for atmos content

#21 ·
back to the topic at hand....

i've with-held getting transformers 4, all the hobbit films, gravity, guardians of the galaxy, etc. basically any films listed on dolby.com's film list i'm avoiding until 4k+atmos or
4k+better colors+atmos comes out.

i'm ok with waiting a long time...

and then we'll all be downloading by then lolz

i also hope that UV partners like vudu adds atmos/4k for "free" instead of having us re-buy it.

amazon prime instant has already rolled out 4k without you paying extra (for now). i know netflix is charging extra for 4k.

#22 ·
One of the reasons I have been investing in UltraViolet is the possibility of being able to buy incremental upgrades rather than having to pay full price for the same movie over and over again. When you factor in what Kaleidescape is doing with UV and what Hollywood has been talking about doing with 4K streaming and downloads, I think this is a reasonably sound bet. The scheme is that you could stream lower quality 4k or download a full quality 4k for local playback on approved devices. There is even talk of NAS support.

#27 ·
I will wait for 4K until the hardware stabilizes and media prices are low. I got burned by DVD and HD-DVD by being an early adopter and it took several years for Blu-Ray players to get to a price where I felt comfortable buying and even then, the titles were still very expensive. I won't make that same mistake again.

#28 ·
I have setup a HTPC that contains the following.

Intel G3250
MSI H81M ECO
8 GiB DDR3
Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1
Hauppauge HVR-2250 (Cable)
Hauppauge HVR-2255 (ATSC or OTA)
Windows 7 Professional
PowerDVD
NextPVR
Netflix
Amazon Prime

The setup may not handle 4K, so I am not moving over to 4K anytime soon. Also not all stations transmits 1080p and they only send 1080p for prime shows. Although computers benefit more to high resolutions like 4K than movies and TV shows.

ATMOS is a new setup. I think AV receivers are going to have a hard time powering ATMOS setups because ATMOS needs to power up to 11 channels. More channels that an AV receiver have to drive, less power comes out of each speaker. I think ATMOS is too expensive to add. If all new movies have ATMOS, people will eventually setup ATMOS at home.

I do not make a lot money compared to others here, so buying a 4K screen and/or ATMOS is not on the list. I am OK with DVD. I just got a Blu-Ray drive for my computer, so I will try see what is all the fuss is about. I have seen some movies with HD DVD and I think there is no difference, so I am not going to have high expectations for Blu-Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.