AVS Forum banner

what software to catalog movies/blurays?

15K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  zeuspaul 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a search but only old threads came up.

Question:
what software to catalog movies/blurays?
(I exclude Excel/access/etc)

I've got 350+ Blurays and 150 DVD's , not huge but getting more blurays over time.

Ideally it should be:
-Minimum typing, click or scan barcode to add
-sortable
-can view on multiple devices; computer, iPhone
-identifies the audio/video correctly
-app for PS3 would be nice but not a must
-Have ability for user to add custom fields for some unique items; storage location, is movie uploaded to NAS, etc
-if rented or bought
-tracking if loaned disc to friend
-etc

People have said:
-IMDB
-blu-ray.com forum

Most of my blurays are stored in the 3 bottom shelf's shown, the DVD's upstairs

I want to pay my daughter $20 to catalog them for me, she will have access to a MacBook laptop for input.
This will also help me when shopping and I see a deal, to make sure I have not bought it already...
(yea, I'm 52 and many-many things on my mind)

See less See more
#2 ·
I use a great app on my Iphone and Ipad, "MyMoviesPro"
Works well, can manually input or bar code scan in movies, BD/DVD, each movies shows covers,actors,bios etc
I have 815 Bluerays at this point.

#3 ·
^^^^^^
I use the same, MyMovies Pro - I have it downloaded on multiple devices (iPhone, Moto G, Nexus 7 and PC). Quickest way to add titles to your collection is to scan the barcode using a smartphone.

Lots of user-definable fields to add specific information related to your collection. User-customizable filters, generate movie lists in varying formats. For those that have digitized their movie library, I believe there is a server version which integrates into your media library, so you can use it as a front end to browse and play your collection.

I only have one very tiny nitpick: the desktop PC version organizes boxed sets better than the iOS or Android apps i.e. if you add a boxed set, Alien Anthology, for instance. The PC version will add the boxed set, then add the individual titles in a subgroup as part of the boxed set. Nice and clean. No such grouping structure exists on the device apps. You see Alien Anthology, followed by all the Alien franchise movies listed as if they were individual titles, but all with the same cover as the boxed set, marring the presentation somewhat. It can be a little annoying when syncing your collection data across different platforms.

#11 ·
Ok;
Only 2 people gave feedback?
I see this app you recommended

Then there is the blu-ray.forum app

and this is one other out there:

That's it?
No more users here to give feedback on?
I don't think there's such a wide selection of quality media cataloging software that you're going to get a wide variety of recommendations; the cream generally rises to the top. Is there something specific you're looking for that the current options you've been given doesn't satisfy?

#6 ·
I just discovered this thread and gave the mymovie free app a try. it works, but my only complaint is it doesnt list the bluray as a 3d bluray. Be kinda nice since im trying to keep track of blurays and which ones I have in 3d and what ones I need to change over to 3d

#7 ·
I have used movie collector by collectorz.com for years. Tried a few others but always found that one to suffice for my needs. that's for cataloging though I've started also using mymovies and xbmc for my HTPC needs. Enjoy and like both solutions for different purposes.

#16 ·
I have been using Movie Collector by collectorz.com for years and it has worked well for my cataloging needs. Then I stopped paying for the updating plan because recent updates aren't useful to me. They are mostly targeted for online usage. I just want to catalogue with the primary purpose of not buying duplicates. I can no longer add movies even manually. I paid for the useless (to me) plan and got it working again. Then my computer went belly up and I tried transfering the backup to the new computer and what a nightmare. The images (cover art) don't transfer! Now I have to use their search function one by one for over 700 entries.

I don't want to go through this again so I am looking for an alternative. I looked at My Movies Pro and I am not sure it will work for me. On their website they indicate some type of subsciption service is necessary?...not again. I want a stand alone program that will work on my PC and my next PC with a one time purchase with easy backups. I am trying EMDB (Eric's Data Base) it has potential but ? maybe a bit too complicated for me. Too much of a learning curve.

I am thinking maybe the best for me would be to export a text file from Movie Collector and bring it into a spread sheet. I will lose a lot of info that I don't really need. I would like to have cover art associated with the movie. My second thought is to save a jpg image of the cover using the name of the movie as the name of the file. I can add key words to these files that are viewable in Windows File Explorer and sort and basic search as well as other programs. Easy to backup and move from one computer to another. I could import the files into Lightroom and view and sort and search keywords. Maybe the jpg collection and the spread sheet would work for me. Easy backup and very basic and transferable from one computer to another without being tethered to the Internet.

Are their other simple solutions?

#9 ·
My Movies pro is a good one yes.
maybe it could make sense for you to use ultraviolet (uvvu.com) though I think not all of your movies could be synced with that.
You simply use ultraviolet to digitalise your bought blu rays, you take a service like flixster and you can stream your movies from any device and sort them quite easy.
Quite simple and convenient but has the draw back that probably not all your blu rays support ultraviolet...

#14 ·
Well Ralph uses DVD Profiler, I liked it but found out it does not support Mac OsX :(

Downloaded the free version of My Movies Pro, I'm 95% sold on it!
and support Mac OsX http://www.mymovies.dk/products/mac-os-x.aspx

Only small thing is I tried to scan some of my PS3 games and it did not recognize them....seems optical media is optical media, so I was hoping games also could be organized....Not a game breaker, just wondering why not able to handle games UPC scans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.