post #1291 of 1297 Old 12-01-2004, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
Bob,

The 169Time receiver emulates a tape device. All cable boxes expose a tuner device. You will not be able to install a tape driver for a tuner device, no matter how hard you try.

Leszek
Okay, got it, so with DVHSTool in a firewire chain with a cable box and deck, Device Manager will show an installed AV/C Tuner device and an AV/C Tape Device. Navigating to Properties/Details should then indicate proper descriptions of these two devices.

Adding the TV to the firewire chain probably shows up as a second AV/C Tuner Device.

Delar,

Glad you got your rig to work. I'm guessing that you won't be able to restore to hard drive direct from the STB since it's not recognized as a Tape Device. You'll probably have to restore from digital tape. Also, expect to be inhibited by 5C copyright protection flags on various material.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1297 Old 12-02-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

There are tuner drivers available. See the top thread in this forum:
HowTO record via 1394/Firewire to WindowsXP
post #1293 of 1297 Old 12-07-2004, 02:15 PM

Having trouble with DVHSTool recently. Although I can restore from a JVC30K without error, I cannot restore from a DISH6000/AVX-1 rig using DVHSTool v2.2. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried various versions of the AVX-1 software, but all I get is zero bytes. Can anyone suggest troubleshooting steps?

Thanks.
post #1294 of 1297 Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sierrabob
Although originally designed for a 169Time modified sat receiver, DVHSTool v2.2 may well work with your configuration.

Where did you get the idea that it was designed for the 169time?

Rick A. originally wrote it to transfer the Hipix transport stream files to and from the Mits D-VHS.

Later he added support for the JVC deck as well as the MYHD naming convention.
post #1295 of 1297 Old 12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

sierrabob,

I use DVHSTool 2.2 to restore DTC-100/169time/avx-1 streams directly to my PC. In fact, I rarely record to D-VHS tape. I have two ideas for troubleshooting.

It appears that WindowsXP SP2 installs AV/C Tape Devices automatically, but it is the wrong device. AFAIK, every AV/C Tape Device (STB, D-VHS deck and avx-1) in the 169time chain must be installed as a JVC Tape deck in order to record directly to the PC.

If that is not an issue, the order of the devices in the chain can affect performance. I think some people with Dish 6000's opened up the back of the STB to get access to 2 firewire ports. Some experimentation is called for. Good luck. YMMV.

Steve
post #1296 of 1297 Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
Where did you get the idea that it was designed for the 169time?

Rick A. originally wrote it to transfer the Hipix transport stream files to and from the Mits D-VHS.

Later he added support for the JVC deck as well as the MYHD naming convention.
Some time ago, Rick A started a thread for DVHSTool version 2.2 beta, listing added support for 169time. Check this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=dvhstool+2.2

Installing this version of DVHSTool with a 169time modded sat receiver allows direct recording to hard drive without using a DVHS tape deck, only mine seems to not work at this time.

Bob
post #1297 of 1297 Old 12-08-2004, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stjr
sierrabob,

I use DVHSTool 2.2 to restore DTC-100/169time/avx-1 streams directly to my PC. In fact, I rarely record to D-VHS tape. I have two ideas for troubleshooting.

It appears that WindowsXP SP2 installs AV/C Tape Devices automatically, but it is the wrong device. AFAIK, every AV/C Tape Device (STB, D-VHS deck and avx-1) in the 169time chain must be installed as a JVC Tape deck in order to record directly to the PC.

If that is not an issue, the order of the devices in the chain can affect performance. I think some people with Dish 6000's opened up the back of the STB to get access to 2 firewire ports. Some experimentation is called for. Good luck. YMMV.
As I think about it, you're right, I never did manually install the drivers. I just thought they were still intact from a pre XP SP2 installation. I have seen them in Device Manager, but I will take a better look next time I "fire up."

And your second point was well taken, too. A while ago I did nose around inside the DISH6000 to try the restore operation without a JVC30K. Although successful, I went back to the original config so I could better monitor the recordings, but may have left the firewire connection less than perfectly secure. I'll check that also.

Thanks for the good tips!

Bob
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page