OFFICIAL T2: Extreme WM9 HD-DVD Review Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Karnis, I actually created a playlist with all 4 .wmv files and then played the playlist. It works, but I get a bordered picture on all four sizes with my PJ.

Paul Seng
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Jai,

My CPU Utilization (3Ghz P4 with HT enabled) while playing back from the DVD in WMP is ~30-35%.

Base memory utilized (before starting playback) is ~226MB (835MB Available). After playback starts, it holds pretty even at 776MB available, so 285MB used.

Just to clarify - T2 runs fine on my system. Just wanted to post my #'s to help with the benchmarking.

-Lee
XBL GT: S4Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
post #273 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Karnis,

I used WinDVD Platinum 4.5 DXVA under Windows XP+SP1+DX9a, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with Cat. 3.4 drivers, M-Audio 410 card (no issues). In WinDVD, I check both the hardware acceleration boxes and played the files from hard drives by using a playlist of the .wmv files.

My HDTV locks onto the picture as a 1080i picture and it looks high-def.

My suggestion: Try to acquire the license first with WMP9. Then, try to play the playlist (or .wmv) files. WinDVD does not re-request the license.

Rich
post #274 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jpaddle
Hi Rick, the licenses are bound to a machine and not to a network or persona, therefore there is no way to get the license to your second machine without that machine being connected to the Internet.

Thanks for this feedback, we will look at supporting this type of scenario in future version of our products.

Thanks
John
Microsoft

To jpaddle and rf22. I have a laptop and a PC, my pc was giving me huge problems trying to aquire the license. So I got the license on my laptop. I used the option to back up my licenses. Which saves to a folder, by default, into a subfolder in My Music in My Documents. I had copied that folder to my pc, and chose to "restore" the license from that folder, and it grabbed the license and I was able to then play it on my pc.

So for me, from what I can see, I was able to get the license on my second machine (both of my machines are connected to the net, so I don't know if there was a transfer of info over the net that was done behind the scenes). I don't know if this is equivalent to getting the license without the net or not. Someone could test it out if possible.
post #275 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Can someone help me set the filters in zoomplayer to play T2 ? This is my first shot at zoomplayer, and I can surely use your help.
Thanks in advance,
-Jai
post #276 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, I have been fortunate enough to get this playing relatively easy in both the interactual player and windows media. My probem is I cannot get stutter free playback. I am using a 2.4 with 1 meg fo ram, saphire 9000 with 128 mb, fresh instal of win XP and nothing running in the background. I am spiking at 100% almost all the time. I have seen others here running glitch free with a similar system but using 85% CPU...any ideas guys?

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #277 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 11:20 PM

Location: Reading, nr. London England and Edinburgh, Scotland
I only have the demo at the moment, I'm running an nforce1 system with 512mb DDR, Sapphire 9000 64mb, Athlon 2200XP+, using s/pdif connection to my Denon 3802. Works fine, and totally stutter free, and plays in both Zoomplayer and WMP9, although i can't seem to get 5.1 to work in Zoom.
post #278 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 11:21 PM

Got the DVD from Amazon today.

Copied the files as specified in this thread. Ran dvdrun.exe as specified. Launched in WMP. Clicked Agree. Everything worked.

Now I only watched about 10 minutes of both the HD and the DVD (the latest nvDVD). All I can say is that the screen shots do not do it justice. While I cannot compare it with any other HD movies as I don't have HBO-HD, etc. I can say that the A/B test with DVD versus WM9 was stunning.

My display is a Dwin Transvision 3 projector (native 1280X720) fed by DVI from a GeForce FX5200 (for both DVD and WM9 versions) on a 92" Stewart Firehawk screen. At that size, you can really see how much lower res the DVD is.

The only drawback that hurt me is that I would have liked to play it using the Media Center UI so I could use my remote, but that doesn't seem to work. Go figure.

I never installed the Interactual player so I didn't feel the pain of the masses, that's for sure. Let's hope the MS guys fix that for the next DVD.

What would be great is to see consumer electronics DVD players that support this format (of course, you can't require that these are connected to the net; that would mean a change in the licensing model!) so that we can get a greater critical mass of players out there to drive demand for the titles.

I can't wait for the next round. There is no doubt that I will be buying just about any half-way decent movie that comes out in WM9HD.

-x
post #279 of 890 Old 06-05-2003, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Zoom Player cannot at this time handle DRM encrypted files...

The only DRM equipped players I know of are WMP (and AI using the WMP enine) and J Rivers Media Centre (though at horrific frame rates)...
post #280 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Paul_Seng
Karnis, I actually created a playlist with all 4 .wmv files and then played the playlist. It works, but I get a bordered picture on all four sizes with my PJ.

Got it, thanks, I had to move to WinDVD Recorder.

Paul, you can fill the screen by opening the sub menu on the WinDVD player (button on theright of the player), select "display" and set widescreen mode to "widescreen". You have to do this with the player in fullscreen mode.
post #281 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FDM80
To jpaddle and rf22. I have a laptop and a PC, my pc was giving me huge problems trying to aquire the license. So I got the license on my laptop. I used the option to back up my licenses. Which saves to a folder, by default, into a subfolder in My Music in My Documents. I had copied that folder to my pc, and chose to "restore" the license from that folder, and it grabbed the license and I was able to then play it on my pc.

So for me, from what I can see, I was able to get the license on my second machine (both of my machines are connected to the net, so I don't know if there was a transfer of info over the net that was done behind the scenes). I don't know if this is equivalent to getting the license without the net or not. Someone could test it out if possible.

Back-up / Restore is a license right that allows you to back-up your licenses in case your machine crashes or if you want to move content from one machine to another.

FDM80 - this is a great way to move the license from your laptop to your PC as you indicated above. However, the PC in the scenario above will need to be connected to the internet to "restore" the license(s). The backend restore service will only let you back your license up on 3 additional PC's in addition to the original PC.

John
Microsoft
post #282 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Back-up / Restore is a license right that allows you to back-up your licenses in case your machine crashes or if you want to move content from one machine to another.

FDM80 - this is a great way to move the license from your laptop to your PC as you indicated above. However, the PC in the scenario above will need to be connected to the internet to "restore" the license(s). The backend restore service will only let you back your license up on 3 additional PC's in addition to the original PC.

John
Microsoft

John,

What effects do System Bus and Ram size have on playback? The T2 disk mentions the need for a 3.0GHz machine, but some with less have been playing it with no problems. Would a 2.6GGHz with an 800MHz bus have an easier time with it than a 2.6 with a 400Mhz bus?
post #283 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[

Paul, you can fill the screen by opening the sub menu on the WinDVD player (button on theright of the player), select "display" and set widescreen mode to "widescreen". You have to do this with the player in fullscreen mode. [/b]

Karnis, I tried that but it is greyed out. I have the player already in fullscreen mode and when I goto the menu widescreen mode is greyed out. Maybe I'm doing something here.

Thanks

Paul Seng
post #284 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Folks,
Please clarify if Zoomplayer can indeed playback T2 HD. I am hearing confilicting reports (unless I misunderstood) that zoomplayer cannot play DRM encrypted files (T2 HD is DRM encrypted right ?) whereas others have reported that they are able to playback T2 in HD. What am I missing here ?
For those of you who have had success with Zoomplayer, please post your success story and a brief description of how you achieved it. Here is my status

* No success with Interactual. It is complaining about the sound card. My sound card is an RME Digi96/PAD. I think it could be some problem with interactual trying to work with the RME driver.

* Partial success with Windows media player 9 (WMP9). I can get full screen, non-choppy video but crackling audio. "Thorr" here thinks that it maybe a problem with WMP9 that uses direct sound by default (and it cannot be changed) and RME driver has a classic problem with direct sound. I am not sure if this is what is happening, but that is the most likely explanation.

* No success with Zoomplayer. It says that it cannot create filter. I tried some of the manual filter settings but I am not sure if I am doing the right thing. At this time Zoomplayer seems like the most likely candidate that can help me get it to work.

I'd appreciate if someone can help me out with Zoomplayer filter settings before I move on and try WinDVD.
Thanks,
-Jai
post #285 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 12:32 PM

Alright, I don't have T2 Extereme yet but I tried the 816p trailer. I tried it as follows:

I tried it in windows mediaplayer and I wasn't too satisfied (the mediaplayer 9 is not to my taste first of all, and it has extra filters somewhere here and there and adjusting colour and other settings is just tiresome in some strange way). I then tried mediaplayer classic 6.x something (no not the micorsoft one.. but the one thats mimicing the 6.4 player but with a hell of a lot more options kind of like zoomplayer). It worked flawlessly not a single hitch, skip, jump or stutter. I wasn't satisfied with the colours and there was no way for me to tweak/tune it within that player. Then I tried WinDVD 4.5.. whatever the currently latest version is. I used the same colour, contrast, etc.. settings I use for DVDs.. WOW! The picture was better then anything I've seen in my life. I love my tv, I would sell a plasma and buy two or three of these TVs best value/money/quality of any TV out there (Toshiba 34HDX82). I recommend this TV to everyone and AND windvd Now.. this was just the 816p clip.. but I have one issue.. although I still dont have the disc.. I think I will dislike the whole protection scheeme.. I just hope there is some magical way to confirm definetely that I will be using it myself and no one else and not have to have the internet or anything of that sort on my HTPC.. I dislike these crazy protection schemes :/ They get cracked eventually and thats not what I intend.. I just dont want hassles with what I buy :/ Otherwise besides the protection I think I wouldn't mind microsoft gaining the upper hand in the next gen audio/video, including this HD-DVD perhaps. I am very satisfied with theimage quality.. absolutely satisfied and am in support of microsoft's gain on WMV9. Plus with real HD content with HD cameras.. this will be absolutely stunning!

Please see the world as it really is...
post #286 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 12:36 PM

Mntneer

Our test have mainly shown that CPU speed, graphics card and DVD Drive speed are the main components which affect the playback. We did test some configurations with less RAM and slower bus and we didn't see any major differences, I will see if one of our testers can repro this and report back to the thread.

John
Microsoft
post #287 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Mntneer

Our test have mainly shown that CPU speed, graphics card and DVD Drive speed are the main components which affect the playback. We did test some configurations with less RAM and slower bus and we didn't see any major differences, I will see if one of our testers can repro this and report back to the thread.

John
Microsoft

Thanks. It would be interesting to know. With the cost differences in processors at different bus speeds, at least we could eliminate the need for the higher bus, and just spend the money on the faster chip.
post #288 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 01:54 PM

Hi,

I just received my T2 that I pre-ordered from Amazon today.
Followed the instructions by peder(THANKS), and did not install interactual player. I got the license with no problem and proceeded to open Windows Media 9 and it happily plays the files perfectly.
I really appreciate all the help here on what NOT to do.

My cpu usage shows 85-90% on my Athlon XP 2600+, Windows XP Pro, ATI Radeon 9000 64Meg, and 768MB Ram.

jammarjim
post #289 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul_Seng
Karnis, I tried that but it is greyed out. I have the player already in fullscreen mode and when I goto the menu widescreen mode is greyed out. Maybe I'm doing something here.

Thanks

Not in the menu, use the little switch on the right side of the control panel player to bring up the sub menu, then click "display".
post #290 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 03:06 PM

Bummed... My system is too slow to play the HD T2 movie... I just got the amazon shipment yesterday and played it on my 2ghz machine at work and it played fine.. super hi-res.

I looked forward to viewing it at home with my X1 projector, but after about 3 secs, it starts to skip and pause seconds at a time.

My system is the following:

AMD 1700+ (1.4ghz) w/ 1GB (PC133 DIMMS)
MSI K7T Turbo Raid Motherboard
Radeon 9000 Pro

Any ideas??? What do I need to upgrade or do to get it to run smoothly??
post #291 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 03:18 PM

scotty144 - Did you mean 1 GB of RAM? I think your system is a bit too underpowered to play T2 back. Any chance you can borrow a new ATI or NVIDIA card to test on your system? This might get you there.

Squidward - Your system is further off than scotty's. You need a newer CPU most likely - can your mobo handle an Athlon XP 2600? And you probably need a new graphics card too.

A word on Zoomplayer
Zoomplayer can NOT play back protected WMV content currently, as Phat Phreddy has indicated. We'll work with them to fix this. (It will report back with a FILTER error.)

Thanks,
-Dan
post #292 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jammarjim
Hi,

I just received my T2 that I pre-ordered from Amazon today.
Followed the instructions by peder(THANKS), and did not install interactual player. I got the license with no problem and proceeded to open Windows Media 9 and it happily plays the files perfectly.
I really appreciate all the help here on what NOT to do.

My cpu usage shows 85-90% on my Athlon XP 2600+, Windows XP Pro, ATI Radeon 9000 64Meg, and 768MB Ram.

jammarjim

I'm planning on upgrading to a 2600+ in the next 2 weeks or so. I would just like to know if your chip is the 133/266 mhz bus version (Code Name: thoroughbred B) or the 166/333 mhz bus version (Code Name: Barton). Thanks
post #293 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 03:24 PM

It looks like most of you are moving off license issues and are now into playback ability questions. This is good to see.

If anyone is still stuck trying to get a license, please try the workaround posted by me earlier in this thread. If you still are stuck, PM me and I'll get you going.

-Dan
post #294 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Alright. I've seen hell.

The IA player won't play due to some imagined sound card conflict.

Finally got it going in WMP9. License acquired. Plays.

No center channel audio (SPDIF only to my amp). Can't figure it out. Looked through this whole thread.

Someone, save my soul. Not that the dialog is all that important, but this is one maddening adventure.

_ITV
post #295 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a nForce2 mobo with on-board soundcard(disabled), and
a Leadtek winfast 4xsound card with spdif out. is it possible to have
2 soundcards in a comp. at the same time?

Thanks,

Nich

Hail the mighty Marquee!

skywalker@datashopper.dk
WWW.*********/eviltwin
post #296 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by interactiveTV
No center channel audio (SPDIF only to my amp). Can't figure it out. Looked through this whole thread.
_ITV

You need to set your speaker configuration in the Windows control panel>>>sounds to "2 speakers" so WMP9 downmixes the WMA 5.1 audio track to stereo.
post #297 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I just DL'ed the T2 clip. I'm sorry to say that I wasn't blown away by the
quality. Maybe it was due to the lousy battle scene of choice, but still....
And I haven't HD besides the other WM9 clips, like coral reef and
step into liquid.

Nich

Hail the mighty Marquee!

skywalker@datashopper.dk
WWW.*********/eviltwin
post #298 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Nich:
Yes, you can have more than one sound card in a PC. I used to have a SB Live for gaming along with my DeltaDio 24/96 card for DVD, music, etc.

Currently I have the DeltaDio for playback and I use the onboard audio line-input of my Intel mobo for recording analog TV for MyHD.
post #299 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, now that it is confirmed that zoomplayer is not going to work, I need to get interactual working right. I have this same problem like interactiveTV with a sound card problem.

Interactual player 2.0 error.
"Playback failed due to an error with the audio subsystem. Please ensure the sound card is properly installed or close any applications that may use the sound card. "

Anyone encounter this error with Interactual ? And how did you fix it ?
Thanks,
-Jai
post #300 of 890 Old 06-06-2003, 04:49 PM

I had the same error last night, and after fooling with this disk for a couple of hours, I shut off the PC in disgust! Upon a fresh reboot today, the error has not appeared again.
I am amazed at the degree of difficulty encompassed in this WMV encoding. If I were to ask my other half to "set up the movie", it would be no show tonight, and she is knowledgable enough to play an .iso using Daemon. I agree with everyone that the IA player S**KS, and I hope this format becomes more user friendly down the road, or MS is justa wastin their time.

My.02
Mark
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page