Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by FDM80
I'm planning on upgrading to a 2600+ in the next 2 weeks or so. I would just like to know if your chip is the 133/266 mhz bus version (Code Name: thoroughbred B) or the 166/333 mhz bus version (Code Name: Barton). Thanks

Its the Barton version.

I watched the Media 9 version this weekend at 1366 x 768, the native resoulution of my Sony HS-10 and have to say that there is a considerable difference between the Media 9 version and the regular dvd version.

Am I blown away by the it?? Not really, but it is still a big improvement.

It is as good as most HDTV shows in my opinion.

This format will probably be the answer to any High Definition DVD's in the near future, once the players are in the stores and the license problem resolved. I am going to stop buying any standard dvd's while I wait for more of these Media 9 HD disks to come out.

Thanks again to all for your input and help.

jammarjim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This format will probably be the answer to any High Definition DVD's in the near future

Lets hope not. We don't want this stopgap, 6-7mbit "HDTV". I'm certainly not upgrading just to play WMV format, you don't even get DD 5.1/DTS. This is (hopefully) just a fun, short diversion before the real thing, i.e 20-30mbit HD-DVD.
post #363 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by yeeker
I am on the internet and WMP9 just says that I have to insert my original DVD into my DVD-ROM drive.

Yeeker,

It appears you did not have cookies enable when you ran dvdrun.exe. Now when you run dvdrun.exe it does nothing because it thinks you already a license. To fix this problem do the following:

1. Enable cookies through Internet Explorer. If this isn't an option, at
least accept cookies from licenseserver.com by doing the following:
- In IE, click Tools->Internet Options and select the Privacy Tab
- Click "Edit..." in the Web Sites section of the dialog.
- Type in licenseserver.com and click Allow.
- Click OK to save and exit.

2. Delete the registry key for dvdrun.exe to force dvdrun to execute:
- Run regedit.exe (Start->Run. Type regedit.exe and hit enter)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Artisan
- Delete the entire T2 Key.

This will force your system to go fetch a license.

Let me know if this works.

-Ezra
post #364 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 11:01 AM

For those of you with what might seem to be slow systems... there may be hope... i purchased T2 extreme edition and playing it on my system

AMD 1700+
256mb DDR 333mhz Ram
64mb GeForce 4200
Hercules Gametheater Xp
1600x1200 resolution at 85 Hz on 42" plasma and on my 19" monitor

i was able to get smooth playback of the wmp 9 content except a few stutters every now and then.. they seemed to occur at the same area on the disc each time. i used the digital out so it wasnt doing the full 5.1 but.. still.. it works...
post #365 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Major discovery!

Your time and date in your system bios must be accurate or else the license will not download.

Nebrunner and myself had the same problem. The "upgrade" button would just grey out and hang. I remember he had a new system as well. I'm willing to bet his date and time were off because of this.

I built my system from scratch, and during the bios tweaking and memory settings, I had to reset the CMOS at one point. This set the date to Jan. 1st 2002, and I hadn't bothered to change it yet.

Now that I've set it, it works.

Sean
post #366 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Something just dawned on me. I'm willing to bet that once the 5 day period is up, you can change the date in your system bios to the day you got the license, and it will still work w/o needing to update.

Sean
post #367 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lifter
Something just dawned on me. I'm willing to bet that once the 5 day period is up, you can change the date in your system bios to the day you got the license, and it will still work w/o needing to update.

This will probably not work, but you are free to give it a try.

Another thing to check for is, make sure "Automatically add purchased music to my library" is checked. I couldn't get the Do Amazing things to work with out it, and that has the license on the DVD.
post #368 of 890 Old 06-09-2003, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say that I liked T2. It is amazing what fits on 6GB. Watching on 720p or higher resolution is a must, so when somebody says that difference is not significant I must assume viewing on lower resolutions, or comparing advanced DVD playback software to WMP crap. It will not blow you away compared to DVD played with top software (Lord of the Rings e.g.), but will give you a run for the money and will give you smoothness and resolution DVD can dream of. Just remember that DVDs don't look that great without great software. I would say it blows DVD out of the water (like DVD did VHS) if you do not use TT or ZP+FFDshow. However, I hope this will not be the future HD format. I vote for 1080p 30GB in Blue Ray. Difference between T2's resolution and DVD is significant, but not enough to justify the format change. The higher up resolution chain we go, the lesser marginal benefit is. So let's go up the chain all the way to HDTV max. But even if this is it, I can imagine that current T2 resolution with better compression alghoritam and higher mbps and decent software + post processing could yield another 40-50% increase in PQ. Not bad. However, this set-up would probably require 4GHZ CPU, wider FSB and faster RAM. Anyway, this is the thing of the future. By the way, T2 was using 500MB of RAM on my system - played smoothly - thanks god for ample of RAM. However, it could not play smoothly in WMR9 mode - I had to use overlay.

Vlad

P4 2.53 - 1 GB RAM - GF4TI 4200 128mb my Vivo with VPE - Audigy 2 - Emuzed Maui video capture - Panny 40" LCD rear projection 1280x720 via silver serpent Better cables RBG - XP PRO+ZP+FDDShow+NVDVD 2.27 in VMR9 mode

Vlad

What I really want is VR, but for now I'll settle with 1080p and DTS HD MS!
post #369 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jesse S
This format will probably be the answer to any High Definition DVD's in the near future

Lets hope not. We don't want this stopgap, 6-7mbit "HDTV". I'm certainly not upgrading just to play WMV format, you don't even get DD 5.1/DTS. This is (hopefully) just a fun, short diversion before the real thing, i.e 20-30mbit HD-DVD.

Maybe a future HD-DVD format won't have to be based off of an MPEG2 stream, but would be based off of an MPEG4.

I think this disc was a, "Hey, look at what we can do." deal. It's fun thing to play around with, but right now that's about it.
post #370 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 06:52 AM
dea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Slightly OT:

Does anyone know - since Artisan's site is rather uninformative - what future releases if any will also contain a HD WMV version?
post #371 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

"what future releases if any will also contain a HD WMV version?"

Yes, that is rather important. I didn't upgrade this much for one movie.

Nich

Hail the mighty Marquee!

skywalker@datashopper.dk
WWW.*********/eviltwin
post #372 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

There is unlikely to be any more future releases of this type. Most of the curious have already tried this once and after all the hustle there will be interest in going through the mess again.

Microsoft has demonstrated technology and is probably looking for more user friendly way of licensing it.

There is no profitable market for this kind.

More important is the HD technology used to prepare the master for the DVD release that produced excellent DVD picture. This I hope would be used more often.
post #373 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I finally got fed up last night and reformatted my C drive, then reinstalled XP and didn't replace any software, so I had a very clean install. When I did this, the license worked. This leads me to believe that I had some piece of software previously that was interfering with the license download.

I suspect it was SpyBot, a free spyware blocker. I am going to wait until the 5 days is up on the license, reinstall SpyBot, then try to download the license again and see if it works.

I enjoyed the hi-definition picture but there is a problem with it, at least on my computer. On the far left hand side of the screen, there is a 1/4 inch band of horizontal red and blue stripes going up and down the picture. It looks almost like bar code. It is evident the entire time.

Although the picture is very good, I will definitely not be purchasing anything in the future that holds the license separate from the media. Besides the fact that it is consumer unfriendly, I think it's in everybodies best interest not to support such products, we don't want Microsoft or anybody else thinking that they can take the rights away from the consumer and that the consumer will stand for it.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #374 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Branxx, the license messup was with Artisan, not MS. Other WMV movies and videos that need a license aquired a license seamlessly.

Paul Seng
post #375 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Paul Seng,

Unfortunatelly, Microsoft doesn not have any DVDV content on its own to release.

I agree with nebrunner, consumers are unlikely to support a product that they buy without the license to use.

For a while a music industry was telling us that when we buy a CD we only buy a license and that the media is effectively rented. This release turn this on the head: we now own the media but not the license.
post #376 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

"quit InterActual Player and use WMP9 to play by directly open the file on the DVD"

Where is that file? I can't find it.

I have another problem. While playing, the computer somtimes crashes
sound going DRDRDRDRRDDRDRDRDRDR with freeze image. And I have
to reboot. I have a AMD 2400+, 512 DDR and a Radeon 9500...Any
thoughts?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Hail the mighty Marquee!

skywalker@datashopper.dk
WWW.*********/eviltwin
post #377 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 11:58 AM

Nich,

Do a FileOpen, and navigate to the folder on the DVD that contains the WMV files: \\common\\win\\lang\\en\ 2x\\esource. To play the entire film, simply open the CHAP_0.ASX file. You can also open the WMV files individually.

Or do a search on disk 2 for *.wmv and you will see the files.
post #378 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!!!!

Does that mean that I could play them in ZP as well??

Nich

Hail the mighty Marquee!

skywalker@datashopper.dk
WWW.*********/eviltwin
post #379 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM

Location: Reading, nr. London England and Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:

Originally posted by Nich
Thanks!!!!

Does that mean that I could play them in ZP as well??

Nich

I'm 99% sure that ZP will not play the T2 WMP9 edition as it does not currently the DRM licensing system, and will bring up a filter error of some description.

I'm not sure whether Blight will be able to implement it or not in future versions of Zoom, i guess he'll have to pay up for some licensing or something similar.
post #380 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Everybody,
I can't seem to get the center channel audio to work. I tried the interactual player as well as playing with WMP9 and the left, right and rear surrounds all sound good, but the center channel is very low. Barely audible. I have played with speaker settings to no avail. Hopefully I am just overlooking something simple. I am using a Revolution card with digital out going into my AV receiver.
Thanks for the help.
Scot
PS
When I play the film with WMP in full screen mode, the bottom slider bar won't go away. Any idea's on this as well? Thanks
post #381 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
To get the slider bar to go away you have to have the mouse cursor out in the field somewhere, just leave it on the black letterbox bar beneath the picture, and don't touch it. After a few seconds the menu will slide off the screen and you will just see the movie. If you jiggle the mouse or hit the keyboard the menu will slide back in.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #382 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 04:59 PM

Hi guys,
during my last visit in Usa for the Infocomm in Orlando I've purchased the T2 Extreme and followed the instructions from this thread to activate it. I was unlucky on my 2 pc that I use for dvd playback. I tried on another pc made with some old component and I could succeed in having T2 working in HD. Unfortunatelly this hardware is not good enough to run smoothly the movie (P4 1.5 Ghz).
What I have found on the 2 pc that do not play the T2 the decoder used by Interactual is Dvix Antifreeze ( Divxiv.ax file) when on the working pc the decoder used is ivivideo.ax from intervideo.
Does anybody know how to let Interactual player use the proper decoder file ?

Thanks for the help

Gianfi
post #383 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by nebrunner
To get the slider bar to go away you have to have the mouse cursor out in the field somewhere, just leave it on the black letterbox bar beneath the picture, and don't touch it. After a few seconds the menu will slide off the screen and you will just see the movie. If you jiggle the mouse or hit the keyboard the menu will slide back in.

If this doesn't work go into Tools/Options/Performance/Advanced and toggle off Full Screen Controls

Jim
post #384 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had to update to WinDVD Recorder to get it to play WMP files. I think it has newer decoders.
post #385 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 07:16 PM

ScotDP - If you are outputting via digital out to your stereo, you will be receiving the stereo fold down mix. The center channel is being folded down into left and right stereo, and you are probably hearing channel replication for the rear channels. The way to get the full WMA Pro 5.1 out is via 6 discrete analog connections from the sound card to 6 analog channel inputs on your receiver.

gfbonomi - Try the workarounds in the thread where you don't have to use an MPEG-2 decoder - just open the files in Windows Media Player. I don't know about DivX Antifreeze, but Intervideo WinDVD or Cyberlink PowerDVD should do the job if you want to go that route - I would uninstall the other MPEG-2 decoders first.

-Dan
post #386 of 890 Old 06-10-2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by edavidson
Yeeker,

It appears you did not have cookies enable when you ran dvdrun.exe. Now when you run dvdrun.exe it does nothing because it thinks you already a license. To fix this problem do the following:

1. Enable cookies through Internet Explorer. If this isn't an option, at
least accept cookies from licenseserver.com by doing the following:
- In IE, click Tools->Internet Options and select the Privacy Tab
- Click "Edit..." in the Web Sites section of the dialog.
- Type in licenseserver.com and click Allow.
- Click OK to save and exit.

2. Delete the registry key for dvdrun.exe to force dvdrun to execute:
- Run regedit.exe (Start->Run. Type regedit.exe and hit enter)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Artisan
- Delete the entire T2 Key.

This will force your system to go fetch a license.

Let me know if this works.

-Ezra

Absolutely brilliant! It worked like a charm! Thanks Ezra!!

Happy Yeeker
post #387 of 890 Old 06-11-2003, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Is it worth purchasing the WinDVD recorder to playback T2 HD ? I have been using TheaterTek for DVD playback and I was using Wind DVD 3.0 with YXY (Karnis and obviously Andy know why this combination) a couple of years ago. I can get a discount for WinDVD recorder or platinum since mine would be an upgrade from 3.0. The recorder is more expensive than platinum and I remeber seeing one of Karnis post that recorder is needed to play T2HD. Can you please confirm this Karnis ? Secondly, I now have a Sony HS-10 set for 1366x768. Would I still need YXY since recorder may not have the AR controls like TheaterTed does. Does Andrew have any plans to suppot WMV for Theatertek anytime in the near future ? I hate to make another purchase only to find Theatertek support it in the next release. I could not resolve the audio issues with WMP9 nor Interactual. The RME card that I have is a professional sound card and the drivers are very picky.
Thanks,
-Jai
post #388 of 890 Old 06-11-2003, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by turbo1
Oh yea, they are gathering personal information on you in case you missed this window when installing the iplayer.

If you want to prevent this, just do what I do and when they ask your age at the beginning of the InterActual setup, check the box that says "Under 13." It is illegal for any company to track the online habits of someone under the age of 13. This is because of the Children's Internet Protection Act, or CIPA. As an added benefit, you can skip all the registration questions as well.

Whenever a company asks me for that information, I just tell them I'm a female, under age of 13, living in Beverly Hills, CA, 90210! That'll usually get them off your back... Then if they track anything about you it's illegal.
post #389 of 890 Old 06-11-2003, 12:25 PM

Liked: 11
Interesting... I copied the WMP9 files to my HD and the sound plays back great!
Thanks for all the tips on the full screen controls
post #390 of 890 Old 06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried this disk the other day with installing the InterActual player and then using that and WMP to playback on my Athlon 2600+. Things seemed to play pretty smoothly and look great, so I invited a bunch of people over tonight to watch it. Well, in the meantime I saw here that I didn't need that POS player, so I used Ghost to go back. At lunch I started again and used dvdrun.exe this time. I get a window that I have to upgrade my security, but when it finally gets to the point of doing that I get an error in the window where it is trying to get it (I think it was the standard connection error). I can get to MSN or microsoft.com, but don't see where it is trying to go for this update. I checked for updates in WMP and it said it couldn't find any.

I then installed the POS IA player and ended up with the same errors.

I'm hoping there was just a temporary problem at the site where it was trying to get the update, since this worked for me last week and I haven't changed anything that should be related, from what I can tell. I'll try this after work again, but I guess I better find some other material if I can't show off the WM9 stuff.

People might be disappointed, but maybe I'll play The Animatrix or some HD material that I have. Hopefully not.

--Darin
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page