AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi again.

I have to agree with the ones here stating that they won't buy any
more of these releases. I just popped in my WM9 T2 and the server
was stated as busy. That means I can't watch the movie.

I didn't think I would say this, since I like the quality, but let's wait
for another format. This isn't the way. As if DVD didn't make enough
money, even though some people copy them. It's a goldmine.

Isn't there another way to handle that license? Why don't they see
the light and quit that licensing bull? I love to have showdisks, but my
guest look funny in the face when I tell them about, pull out the disk
and not being able to play it.

After all, I did buy it, so I should be able to play it, right?

Nicholas, rather upset. We were to finish it tonight, but....

Hail the mighty Marquee!

skywalker@datashopper.dk
WWW.*********/eviltwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 04:51 PM

Location: Reading, nr. London England and Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:

Originally posted by Black Magic Spoken like a true pirate. I don't agree with X company (even though they spent millions on this product that I want), so I'll just work around the licensing and justify it to myself.

Not at all - The point is, people in North America who have legitimately bought the disk cannot use it! Power to them if they find a way to use the disc outside of the "normal methods" which have been proven time and time again not to work. I'm not advocating hacked versions of WMP9 that do not use DRM, i never said this. I was referring to the alternative methods of gaining the keys from Artisan.
Quote:

Originally posted by Black Magic Hmm, let's see, I've wasted quite a bit of time arguing with you, so I'll just pull $10 from your checking account. I'm not authorized to do so, but it sure would make me feel better.

I'm sure it would, but the point is, people have paid good money for a disc that is useless, and they are well within their rights to expect it to work. I don't see the workarounds outlined here to be illegal.
Quote:

Originally posted by Black Magic While the system is not perfect, it is far from idiotic. It is a means for cracking down on illegal activity. It is unfortunate that the world is not an honest place. It is full of people that want to take matters into their own hands. This system exists because of those people. I'm sure you would change your opinion if you were on the other side of the fence.

There are various ways about cracking down on various illegal activities, i just happen to think that over the internet DRM is one of the bad ones.
Quote:

Originally posted by Black Magic
If you do not agree with it, do not purchase the product. If you are a legitimate user and are having problems using the system, complain to the companies involved. Please just stop complaining about how you can't get a Region 1 HD-DVD to work in another region.

I haven't purchased the product. I've seen legitimate users complaining, and see that they have come here to find workarounds to getting the keys to install properly, as Artisan have been no help. I never said i can't get a region 1 HD-DVD to work, and i'm not complaining about how i can't get my copy to work, as i don't own one.

My bottom line is, i just can't see why legitimate users cannot view the disc, while some "illegal" users have had so few complications viewing it, by just changing a few numbers in their internet connection. The only good thing to come out of this fiasco is the obvious realisation that DRM over the internet is only ever going to punish the legitimate user, whilst only hindering very few "illegal" users. As of now, i have not purchased the disc, but will probably buy it soon as it is my only hope of HD on a budget for the forseeable future. Lock me up for illegal activities, and whilst you're at it, take away all my non region 2 DVDs, and my multiregion DVD players.
post #453 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 05:37 PM

Nick,
I think one of the first thing Microsoft has to learn form this first experiment, is that they need more control over the final product. They need to run the servers etc. They also need to set up a standard protocol for playing and tell the various movie companies that either you take or leave it. They cannot rely on non technology companies to get stuff like this correct. Also they are indirectly affected due to the negative backlash not just against Artisan but also towards their format.

hgodwin
post #454 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have held off on buying this thing. I was thinking about just renting it from BlockBuster until they get this licsensing issue fixed. I'll admit I was confused, I thought that you could only watch the HD program for 5 days after you activated the license. I didn't realize that it would still play the HD after 5 days it just needed to check the internet again.

Tim Huey

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #455 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SeaneyC
I haven't purchased the product. I've seen legitimate users complaining, and see that they have come here to find workarounds to getting the keys to install properly, as Artisan have been no help. I never said i can't get a region 1 HD-DVD to work, and i'm not complaining about how i can't get my copy to work, as i don't own one.

Ok, I see the disconnect here. The Region 1 users are having issues starting the authentication process via the InterActual player. They are not having problems with the US based proxies. The work arounds on the previous pages posted by Microsoft people (DVDRUN) and other members (Nuking InterActual registry keys) are completely fine. This is completely legitimate as they have valid licenses for the product, it's just that the software on the DVD is failing.

I'm talking about the non-Region 1 people complaining about proxies not working. They are not licensed to have the product, yet are complaining that it is difficult to work around it.

In the future please don't rant and rave about something you do not have experience in.
post #456 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Regardless of the fact that I had no problems whatsoever getting the license and watching it (with 5.1 surround sound no less), there's still a major problem with this release. In 5 years will I still be able to watch it? Chance are no - chances are the server won't be up in 5 years, and so I'll be stuck with a useless DVD that I paid $20 for. Running that licensing server costs money, and chances are that long before 5 years has gone by they will not be making enough money from sales of this DVD to continue running the server. Especially once true HD-DVD's or whatever are released (I can't wait to get my T2 Uber Edition). Especially when the Internet goes away and is replaced by Internet 2, forcing them to setup a whole new server.

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #457 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 08:08 PM

For those that are seeing pauses due to file changes, have you tried to modify the ASX file? I noticed that Prebuffer was set to FALSE in CHAP_0.ASX. I changed mine to the following:

Also I noticed that several people were complaining about multiple pauses during playback. Seeing as there are only 4 files, shouldn't there be only 3 pauses due to file changes? The other ones may be due to other bottlenecks in the system.
post #458 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Black Magic,

Yes, many Legit users in the USA (in my example Chicago) were unable to get a license for at least 1 hour on Friday night. The Interactual player was terrible and finally got the lciense using WM9.

THe best question is this: in 2 years can I play this? When DRM is cracked and MS changes it will they continue to run the old cracked authentication server?

Finally, I thought a "cracked' drm WM9 player was available due to some bug in MS's own beta release. THis might be the answer for legit users who want to play the damn DVD and NOT wait 1 hour for the busy server to give me a license.
post #459 of 890 Old 06-15-2003, 09:07 PM

Location: Reading, nr. London England and Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:

In the future please don't rant and rave about something you do not have experience in.

And in future please don't say that i speak like a pirate, acuse me of being on "the other side of the fence", and presuming that i'm complaining about something that i'm not licensed to have. My issue isn't with the disc, it's with the licensing. I have no personal experiance of trying to circumvent said protection, but i feel i've seen enough comments on it to make informed comment about the issues highlighted within. I feel that i don't need to own something first to be aware of the issues surrounding it, when they're well documented like in this forum.

I think we can agree on a few things however, firstly that the people outside of the licensing zone should not be complaining about getting the disc to work, it was never meant to work. However, we do see examples of people getting it to work with no problem, which i think is strong evidence that the system is more of a hinderence to the legitimate buyers than the people importing the disc. Secondly, something needs to be done about this licensing system. The fact that there are already 22 or 23 pages in this thread shows that this system has some serious problems, which really should have been ironed out before the disc was released.
post #460 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by bmwrob
This is an extract from MPAA FAQ:
"Regional DVD coding was devised to protect the theatrical distribution market for motion pictures in international markets. It is simply impossible with present technologies to supply film prints of a movie to all of the theaters around the world at the same time. Motion pictures released by the major studios are generally released first in the Untied States and subsequently overseas. For this reason, motion pictures are released to theaters in countries in a "staggered" sequence. After the theatrical exhibition of a motion picture in a particular country, it is then released to the pay-per-view, video and television markets. DVDs are regionally coded to prevent them from being imported into countries where the motion picture has not yet completed its theatrical release.

So when will the T2 be released in the movie theaters in Europe? Or wait, that has already happened 12 years ago. And when will we see "staggered" T2 HD DVD European release? This does not make any sense to me.

Tomas
post #461 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 07:57 AM

Quote:

For those that are seeing pauses due to file changes, have you tried to modify the ASX file? I noticed that Prebuffer was set to FALSE in CHAP_0.ASX. I changed mine to the following:

Also I noticed that several people were complaining about multiple pauses during playback. Seeing as there are only 4 files, shouldn't there be only 3 pauses due to file changes? The other ones may be due to other bottlenecks in the system.

Where do you set this value?
post #462 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I got the HD Movie to run with no problems on a 2.8Ghz (800MHz bus) and 1GB of Ram. It wouldn't play very well in the crap Interplay players, but played perfectly fine in Windows Media player.
post #463 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 10:24 AM

Can somebody tell me where on disc 2 the hi def files are? I followed the directions for playing the Hi Def version in Window Media 9, but when I get to the part where I am supposed to open the file to play it....I CANT FIND THEM!! There is nothing with a .wm extension on my disc, but Interactive has no trouble finding them... What gives?

Walt

Attorneys are like magicians; our shows are expensive and most people have no idea how we did it.
post #464 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 10:36 AM

Well, add me to the list of people who are unimpressed with this implementation.

Here's my experience;
I pop disk 2 in the drive, let it autorun, install Interactual player.. Interactual runs, loads the T2 Extreme Edition skin, and hangs. I usually need to 'end task' to get it to exit. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling interactual, and I have the same problem.

Has anyone seen this behavior? I'm contemplating returning this disk as a few other posters said they've done.
post #465 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I could not get the interplayer to work. It sucked. WM9 works but I had to make a playlist.

Also, I could not get it to "buffer" so there were some skips when it hit my HD.

Running off the DVD was painful - 5 FPS
post #466 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It's the Interactual player that is going to ruin all of this, and I hope Microsoft is paying close attention.

That player has been crap since day one. I remember you had to install it to watch some special preview footage of Attack of the Clone when The Phantom Menace came out, and it didn't work that well then either.

If Artisan plans on doing this again, I hope they realize that the "license" requirement is a stupid waste, and that it's best to stay clear of a crappy player like Interactual.
post #467 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 11:21 AM

For all the people having trouble getting the lisence with the interactual player. The dvdrun.exe work around posted earlier in this thread has worked for me and I encourage everyone who is having trouble to scan back and try and find it. Follow the directions and see how things go. It could save you a ton of trouble. (I was able to get it to work without deleting the specified registry key in the directions).
post #468 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 01:47 PM

Make sure your system clock is accurate also or the DRM portion will not work. I noticed if the clock is off by more than a week the system will hang.
post #469 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 01:52 PM

I install the Inter-Actual player for the T2 DVD-ROM on the 2nd disk and get the following error when attempting to run it ->

- Microsoft C++ Runtime Error
- Abnormal Program Termination

Does anyone else get this error when attempting to run the InterActual Player? What a piece of junk. Oh well. This was a good Father's Day gift gone Bad for me, based on the above error.

HTBuilder
post #470 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

To everyone still trying to use the Interactual player... save yourself a lot of grief and uninstall it - use WMP instead. See dgehred's excellent post for the steps on how to do this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...57#post2284057

To those looking for the actual files on the disc (i.e., they want to copy to their hard drive to get around DVD ROM performance limitations, license is still required), they are found on disc 2 at:

\\common\\win\\lang\\en\ 2x\\esource\\*.wmv

Once you've gone thru the steps in dgehredin's post, playing the CHAP_0.ASX file will play the whole movie.
post #471 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 03:07 PM

When I tried to use WMP, which I did first, It just sat there trying to get the license. I got tired of waiting and installed IA player and it worked the first time. I must be lucky or something? I haven't hooked up my Audigy 6ch out yet so I can only hear it in Pro Logic. Still not too bad. I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle of connecting the sound. I already have a DVD-A player connected to my receivers 6ch input.

I'm running a Dell 4550, 2.66g, 128mb ATI 9700TX, and 256 megs of RAM.

I know this is probably sacrilege but I did try the IA player for other DVD's I have and it really wasn't all that bad. At least I didn't think so. I must be missing something? Of course I didn't try and watch anything all the way through, just bits and pieces. It's kind of cool how the skin changes for each IA enabled DVD. I still prefer POWER DVD XP, now that I have the latest patch, but it won't play the windows HD media.
post #472 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 03:30 PM

Hi All,

My tupence haypny's worth from the UK.

(Please feel free to skip this post if you don't like long controversial posts from foreigners who don't really have a leg to stand on and are inclined to throw their toy's out of their pram's.)

Since T2 was first released as a Home Video title I have purchased it a total of SEVEN times! (Not to mention having seen it twice in Theaters.)
Firstly on good old PAL VHS, then the standard & subsequent Box set NTSC Laserdisc releases, then the standard & Ultimate R1 DVD releases, and now the R1 Extreme version.

Now, irrespective of the legalities of DVD Region coding or DRM issues, I consider that this track record, not to mention the cash that the titles owners have directly or indirectly received from me by these purchases gives me a few moral rights.

One such right should be the right to come on this forum and openly discuss my desire to obtain and view this title, and my problems in so doing, without some members accusing me and my fellow Home Theater enthusiasts outside of the USA of being "Pirates".

It's very easy for Home Theater enthusiasts in the US to take the high moral ground over region coding. After all, you get to legitimately purchase 99% of movies before the rest of us, and you have multiple High Definition programme options available to you so it really is a non-issue.

Consider if you will for a moment, how keen you might be to get to see this release in all it's HD glory if you happened to live outside the US? Especially if, as I do, you live in a country with no plans for HDTV of any description, have never seen a HD presentation of any material, and most importantly,
you are having it readily made available to you to purchase both via the Internet and through retail outlets in your very own town?

There are many hundreds of ways to obtain copies of R1 DVD's in the UK and many thousands, probably many hundreds of thousands of copies of all your top titles are exported and sold outside there intended region by retailers in the US, so point your disapproving finger at them not us, your fellow enthusiasts, who simply wish to pay honest, hard earned, decent money (and usually inflated prices) to purchase a product that is being made readily available to us to buy, just like it is to you.

This does of course mean that there are numerous outlets in the US & Canada that have absolutely no problem supplying us with this product.

Now, you can't tell me that in this high tech day and age it is impossible for manufacturers of DVD's in the US to monitor and discover where their product is being distributed to, by whom, and most importantly, how many of their products reach domestic shelves v their known production runs!

I put it to you that in actual fact, they know exactly how many DVD's are sold in this way, and their proven ineptitude or unwillingness to act to resolve this issue reveals their "true" stance, which is to say that in "public" they can hide behind the "Region Coding" smoke screen while in private they can quite happily carry on producing more than enough product to satisfy both your home market and the enormous "Black Market" demand.

This situation is made all the more frustrating by the fact that prior to purchasing this particular title, (and discovering for myself the additional hurdles that had been included to prevent me from watching something that I'd just paid for) absolutely NO MENTION of the DRM aspect of disc 2 had been mentioned in any review or pre-release material from Artisan!

If the picture that I have painted above is in truth the reality of what is happening, to then apply DRM which is tied to the Region 1 coding of this particular release, (and conveniently forget to publicize this fact beforehand) smacks of true exploitation of this "unspoken" element of their INTENDED customer base.

For me to now want to watch the HD version of this title that I have just paid an "inflated" import price for is perfectly normal and, so long as this is to be in the privacy of my own home, wherever in the world that might happen to be, this should be acceptable or at least totally understandable.

As a couple of previous posters have highlighted, the Region coding of DVD's to protect the staggered theatrical release of first run "fresh" to Home theatre titles is perfectly acceptable and totally understandable. (Though I applaud those people who are questioning the validity of this restriction for titles such as "Attack Of The Clones" which received a simultaneous world-wide release!)

BUT! ..........

To Region Code 12 year old movie titles at all is totally OTT!

To then apply further DRM hurdles based on that Region Coding to a HD version of a 12 year old title is totally ridiculous, pure and utter madness!

Adopt a DRM licence protocol by all means, but don't tie it to the mockery of free trade that is Region Coding!

Don't even get me started on the fact that we are all actually paying to beta test the viability of this product for these companies which is THE perfect example of the "contemptuous" attitudes that the studios display towards us their customers!

Oh well, that's me finished......... I feel better now!

If anyone has actually got this far, well done & sorry if offended you. My hope is that my stated views may prompt some further interesting discussion on the points raised.

Best Regards,
KBDVD.

"I Want's It, Me Precious!"
post #473 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Kalagher
Where do you set this value?

In the CHAP_0.ASX file. You'll have to copy it to the hard drive before you can edit it. Even with this set, I still get a big gap between file changes. I can't tell if it is not really prebuffering or if my P4-2.66Ghz (which is maxed out at 100% CPU usage) just can't keep up. Can anyone with a faster system test this?

As a side note, my CPU is maxed out b/c I'm playing back the video at 1920x1080i on a Radeon 7200. I'm waiting for the hardware assisted wmv decoding cards before I upgrade.
post #474 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KBDVD
Hi All,

My tupence haypny's worth from the UK.

Thank you KBDVD for you thought out response. Hopefully this will filter back to the parties responsible. It is unfortunate that a loyal fan such as yourself needs to resort to finding means of circumventing the system in order enjoy the privilege of buying and using this product.
post #475 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

KBDVD.... Right on, as we say here state side, and BTW; I have had trouble with the MS demo disc and T2, hell I live here, this is non sense!

Thanks for clearing me up on the number to times this title had been released, I only have one other, the last DVD version, I guess you could buy the D-Theater tape copy and view it in HD, but wonder what the law is on you (for example) buying a JVC 30K and a tape copy of the subject title, all very interesting.

I can watch HDTV almost any night of the week from several different sources, I'm lucky I guess? But trust me I'm NOT trying to rub your nose in it either.

Take care, and thanks for your post and opinion. (read yes I did buy over-sea's HK some DVD of a series of films "SW" not for sale here stateside, mostly due to a very hard headed producer, well you get the idea. right?)

Interesting the RIAA lost a big one in court today (class action), for over charging music CD's, (FUNNY) could be the MPAA may get the idea? Doubt it........

mikey

It is "WOW" TV!
post #476 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 05:55 PM

I think I might've found the source of my problems with interactual, and getting a license either through it or WMP. Interactual is attempting to use my elecard decoder.. is there some way to specify what decoder interactual uses? Through media player, it gives me a prompt asking me to insert the disk, or install interactual's player. Interactual itself just freezes..

This is really annoying. I paid for this thing, and this heavy handed DRM is getting in the way of watching it.
post #477 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jjarmoc

Here's my experience;
I pop disk 2 in the drive, let it autorun, install Interactual player.. Interactual runs, loads the T2 Extreme Edition skin, and hangs. I usually need to 'end task' to get it to exit.

JJarmoc,

We've seen this issue a few times at SyncCast and here is what usually causes it:

1) User does not have WM9 player and is attempting to play it directly with a WM7 player. The InterActual Player has the code that checks for the WM9 player.

2) User's system clock is off by more than a week, our DRM system will not issue licenses under this situation and we currently do not have an error message for this, the system just hangs.

We do have a FAQ page that has all the latest issues with suggestions and work arounds. You can visit the page here:

http://www.synccast.com/t2

Just for clarification. It never takes more than 90 seconds for us to deliver a license. We have had monitoring services up and deployed since the release date to check for this.

Unfortunately, the content owner has decided not to issue licenses under the following situation:

-Users from Anonymous Proxy Server
-Users with IP addresses from Outside the US & Canada
-Users without a valid DVD in the Drive
-Users without Windows Media 9 Player
-Users from Proxy Servers from Outsite the US & Canada
-Users with cookies turned off
-Users who decline the EULA
-Users who have rolled back their system clocks
-Users who have a system clock that is off more than 7 days from today's date and time

Under all other scenarios, you should be able to get a license and play the video within 90 seconds.

On this board, several users did mention they sat for hours waiting for a license. Due to their clocks being rolled back (or any of the above situations), they could have waited years and they still would not have gotten a license. We will add an error message to handle this situation.

Another issue that we addressed on the board is when users have their cookies turned off and the system prompts them to insert a disc. Until the user enables cookies, they will continue to get this error message. The actual error message the user gets should have covered this situation but we failed to make sure InterActual added the necessary text. We apologize for any inconvenience the above is causing.

I hope this helps.

-Ezra
post #478 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 06:58 PM

whats the best thing to do for users outside the US?
post #479 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 07:03 PM

In my last post, I left off one other situation that will prevent you from getting a license, you must have access rights to change your registry settings.

-Ezra
post #480 of 890 Old 06-16-2003, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by smallville
whats the best thing to do for users outside the US?

There have been a few posts on this board that address this. I think it will take hours find a Non Anonymous Proxy outsid the US that is not being blocked but there are some still out there.

You can try emailing Artisan to ask them to issue you a license. Their email is, I think, cs@artisanent.net.

Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck.

-Ezra
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page