OFFICIAL T2: Extreme WM9 HD-DVD Review Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 890 Old 09-16-2003, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TurboDog,

I got rid of the CSS problem by uninstalling some other DVD type applications I had on the computer. I'm not sure what the offending one was.

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 890 Old 11-08-2003, 03:02 PM

Windows Media 9 just came out for Mac, so I immediately put my T2 disc in and tried to play the High Definition version. Sadly it just send me to a web site listing compatible players and immediately quit the player. Wonder what it's going to take to get the DRM stuff working on the Mac. Supposedly it's there somewhere as Napster is rumored to be in development for the Mac, and it relies on WiMP DRM.

Jeremy

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary. www.donetheimpossible.com
post #723 of 890 Old 11-09-2003, 08:12 AM

Help! I've had nothing but problems trying to get past the License Acquisition screen telling me to insert the frigging DVD. My system consists of the following:

Dell 400sc 3.2GHz
Win2K SP4 and all current updates
Power DVD XP 4 (current)
WMP9 (current)
Interactual Player (current)
512MB dual channel ram
ATI 9500 Pro (latest Catylyst driver)

I have taken the DVD out and reinserted it, copied the files to hard drive, tried playing the ASX and WMV files directly in WMP9 etc.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
post #724 of 890 Old 11-09-2003, 08:32 AM

Did you actually acquire the license yet? Go into the disc and find the file named dvdrun.exe. Click on it (must be online)....it shouldn't actually do anything visibly, but that should acquire the license for you. After that, you should be able to get past that screen (for 5 days, then have to do again).

Good Luck. Welcome to the party.
post #725 of 890 Old 11-09-2003, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the advise TurboDog.

I tried running dvdrun.exe, and still got the same error dialog asking me to insert the disk. I don't see any network activity while the system tries to get the lic but then the insert the disk dialog pops up with Play greyed out and the only option is to Cancel.

post #726 of 890 Old 11-09-2003, 08:50 AM

Sorry, the last post shoul have read "I do see network activity while the system tries to access the License."

post #727 of 890 Old 11-09-2003, 12:07 PM

Did you copy all of the files or just the core Windows Media files (3 or 4 of them)? If you copied all of the files, it may require you to execute that dvdrun executable directly from the DVD-ROM. Just a thought.
post #728 of 890 Old 11-12-2003, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I got my copy today and managed to license it through WMP9 using the proxy trick. The only WMV file that will play is the fourth file. The other three just turn into "!"and become orange in the playlist in WMP9. Is my DVD damaged or something?
post #729 of 890 Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Never mind. A reboot was all that was needed.

It works fine now, and I haven't installed POSplayer. I hate that thing!

Wonder if it will work to copy the license from this PC to the HTPC... I have the license-files.
post #730 of 890 Old 11-13-2003, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

HAHA!!! I got it to work now on my HTPC.

First I tried copying the license backups from my workstation, where I had licensed it first, and then restoring the licenses in WMP9. I did this because I didn't have internet access on my HTPC. It didn't work! Then I tried copying what seemed like the relevant registry key that had changed since I licensed it in the workstation. That didn't work either.

I then decided to try connecting to the internet and licensing it again. I dug up my old 56k modem and stuck it in the HTPC. It already had the drivers and I just registered for a free 56k internet thingy. Then I changed the proxy on the dialup-connection to what had worked before on my DSL and logged on. The licensing seemed to work, except I got a "Please insert DVD and blah-blah" message. Damn! Then I remembered the license backups I had from the other PC and I tried restoring them, and IT WORKED. lol

I'm gonna try running the movie on my low-spec AthlonXP now.
post #731 of 890 Old 11-14-2003, 06:44 PM

What is a good site that lists suitable proxy servers for us International folk ?
post #732 of 890 Old 11-14-2003, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

what resolution does best for 8inch crt users
when outputing the1920X1080p image.

1440X960p
1280X720p
1920X1080i
post #733 of 890 Old 11-15-2003, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a link to proxy servers on the first page of this thread. I found a working one in the lists.
post #734 of 890 Old 11-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Are there any other movies available in this hi resolution format?
I just got my Extreme version of T2 and it really looks great on my HTPC.
2.53ghz P4; Radeon 9700pro AIW
post #735 of 890 Old 11-17-2003, 12:04 AM

I tried playing the available HD trailers from the Microsoft WMP site but to no avail on my dual 1Gig....not even close. Maybe it is the new WMP9 for OSX? What a humbling experience...guess my dual 1 gig is already out of date ) :

I did download the Matrix HD trailers in Quicktime format which have the same resolution as the WMP trailers but a MUCH lower bitrate (like 1000 kbps). They still look dazzling with the low bitrate. Why is WMP's bitrate so high? I wonder if I could re-encode them in the WMP encoder on my PC with a lower bitrate... I totally want to check em out though! Would be nice on a Cinema Display I bet. Anyone lucky enough to experience this? I also think my AGP slot is 4X with a 64MB card...this I am sure does not help...

post #736 of 890 Old 11-18-2003, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

any crt owners recommend any particular resolutions to run? I can rup up to 960p?
post #737 of 890 Old 11-24-2003, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Me too (just got it only just added a DVD drive to my HTPC), I doubt we see much more, if all the open discussion about breaking the region limitations, bitching and moaning about not having an IP connection on a HTPC, and talk of other license violations that I see in this thread is the norm.

Did anybody actually read the license they agreed to when they installed this or did that change recently?

Maybe there are other reasons for the delay in content, but this type of stuff sure can't help when we know "the powers that be" monitor this thread. Its great to not like draconian stuff like this, but it is such a niche product it will just evaporate if the wrong people are po'ed.

Quote:

Originally posted by sdellutri
Are there any other movies available in this hi resolution format?

Matt
post #738 of 890 Old 11-25-2003, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Personally, I don't care if the wrong people are po'ed. Hopefully the holdup is that people are NOT buying into the fact that we will accept needing permission to run legally purchased software. The technology is impressive but the implications of where and when I can view software that I have legally purchased, are not in my best interests.

Also Hollywood has no real incentive to give us hd-dvds. They are currently enjoying the marketing success of dvd and will milk it for four or five more years while hdtv numbers grow. Compare it to the music industry. Records, then eight track, then Cosette, then cd, and now DVD-A and SACD. And if it weren't for Napster and the general public acceptance of MP3s as a music standard, their business model will have held up. And with cd sales down 10%, this has to have caught the eye of Hollywood and hence, a desire to monitor and control content. And we, as consumer's are caught in the middle.

Also, are people so naive to think the movie industry actually wants the computer industry in the movie business? This might explain the lack of movies available.

And Matt, I simply do not want my htpc connected to the Internet. It's not "bitching and moaning" as you put it, it is a conscientious choice that I make. I paid for the hardware and I paid for the software and I have to ask for permission to play it ???? You can also bet this thread is being closely monitored and it is public acceptance of this marketing scheme that is being put to the test, not if the public will buy into WMP9 hd-dvd or high definition content.
post #739 of 890 Old 11-25-2003, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did anybody actually read the license they agreed to when they installed this or did that change recently?

Does anybody even expect every buyer to carefully read, understand, and honor the increasing amount of fine print in the various software installations these days? Having to do that effectively increases the cost of installing the software. That constitutes an extra transaction cost that would lower the value of the product if everyone actually felt compelled to do it.

Quote:

Maybe there are other reasons for the delay in content, but this type of stuff sure can't help when we know "the powers that be" monitor this thread. Its great to not like draconian stuff like this, but it is such a niche product it will just evaporate if the wrong people are po'ed.

The concerned parties or "powers that be" either correctly predicted the market reaction or they did not. If they correctly predicted it then we can assume these comments can do little harm. And if they (or some of them) did not correctly predict the reactions then this should be valuable market feedback for them. Our reactions are probably quite typical of what they can expect in the future.

And this can probably be quite simply summarized so far as:

1) The market would happily buy WM9 HD-DVDs if machines were fast enough or we had hardware video acceleration to easily play them (with working 5.1 audio), and

2) The market will reject the intrusive & buggy DRM they've presented to us so far. (edit: I personally won't be buying any more of these under these conditions)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #740 of 890 Old 11-25-2003, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

anybody? I am still looking for crt owners with exp with windows media and what resolution they run there crts at. 1080i, 960p,720p?
post #741 of 890 Old 11-25-2003, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I just don't understand that people can expect to get every new product handed to them on a silver platter when they don't connect their machine to the internet. If you don't want to fine--what do you propose for a DRM solution for non-internet connected machines then?

Maybe Hollywood doesn't want to be in the HD business right now--they've sure got enough excuse not to be from this thread. I guess I'll just plan on paying a $20 premium for HD-DVD content plus new player, hardware, etc. when/if it ever does come out if WM9 doesn't take off.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tedd
And Matt, I simply do not want my htpc connected to the Internet. It's not "bitching and moaning" as you put it, it is a conscientious choice that I make. I paid for the hardware and I paid for the software and I have to ask for permission to play it ????

Matt
post #742 of 890 Old 11-25-2003, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by trbarry
Does anybody even expect every buyer to carefully read, understand, and honor the increasing amount of fine print in the various software installations these days? Having to do that effectively increases the cost of installing the software. That constitutes an extra transaction cost that would lower the value of the product if everyone actually felt compelled to do it.

It was pretty simple compared to what I've seen for years. It doesn't even compare (much simpler and shorter) to even trial software licenses from independent publishers I've seen.

Quote:

[2) The market will reject the intrusive & buggy DRM they've presented to us so far. (edit: I personally won't be buying any more of these under these conditions)

Maybe its gotten better since launch but I had zero problems. So I don't buy it is buggy. Intrusive? I don't agree, but let's see if the choice came down to "intrusive" or not at all, I'd at least like the choice for intrusive.

Matt
post #743 of 890 Old 11-25-2003, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

anybody? I am still looking for crt owners with exp with windows media and what resolution they run there crts at. 1080i, 960p,720p?

I'm running 720p on my Ehome 8500 (8" CRT). In fact, I run everything at 720p (HDTV, DVD, etc.). I'm using a 3.04Ghz P4 system and am playing the movie directly off the DVD (after getting the license with the Interactual player).
post #744 of 890 Old 12-10-2003, 09:00 AM

I'm getting the error message "DVD Navigator not found" when starting the InterActual Player. I've tried all the settings for Navigators, and I have latest WinDVD installed. Is there any way to play the HD content avoiding this error message?
post #745 of 890 Old 12-10-2003, 03:37 PM

You may have to reinstall the player so it hooks your existing player correctly. If that doesn't work, you may want to update to WMP9. Personally, I always had problems w/ the IA player....so, I dumped it like most here and opted for using WMP9 to play the movie. The only problem with doing it this way is the fact that WMP9 is a system resource hog.

Good Luck.
post #746 of 890 Old 01-14-2004, 03:35 PM

Hi,
couldn´t the DRM crap be patched out of the WMV file ?
Just copy the T2 WMV file from the DVD to your harddisc and
look for a patch program that will patch the file, so it could
be played without getting a license first...

Probably only the header must be patched to get
the DRM out of the file.

I had seen a while ago on a warez site a file which stated,
that it was a Windows DRM hack.
Probably this would have worked with it...
Sorry, can´t remember , where I saw it.

Regards, Stefan.
post #747 of 890 Old 02-07-2004, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is lots of DRM info, but I don't think it has been hacked for video
http://nlug.org/mail/nlug__2001_10/1106.html
for news

DON'T feed the troll.
post #748 of 890 Old 02-07-2004, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

The question is if the DRM has been changed to offline format on the re-issue version which is to be released this month?

regards,

Li On
post #749 of 890 Old 02-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Li On
Hi,

The question is if the DRM has been changed to offline format on the re-issue version which is to be released this month?

regards,

Li On

Hi Li On,

Where did you find information about a "re-issue version"? I cannot find.

I too hope they will re-issue the disc with the new Coral Reef on-disc DRM, however I won't be overly happy at having to purchase the disc yet again!

Greg
post #750 of 890 Old 02-08-2004, 10:03 AM

Just a quick note:

Could not get my T2 WM9 to play AT ALL on Windows 2k3 server. Not much problem with XP (had to rebuild machine though).
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page