HD technical differences - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-01-2017, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HD technical differences

Why is 720x576 up to 1920x1080 all part of what we call "HD" ?

Technically while you can easily have 720x576 on a Bluray disc, I would not call that Blue-ray just because its on the disc... Isn't t it more about what resolution/bit rate the content is delivered at ? Any more than saying therefore 720x576 is also HD, which is actually isn't because as we know today 720p is HD clearly, while DVD is max 576 (PAL) "below" HD which starts at 720. So why mix this resolutions into one package when their is a clear definitive difference ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

I don't think its just Wikipedia, I reckon that how we all see it as. But my question is why are these two formats part of the same HD specification ?

I know its says "up to" but there is a starting point isn't there ? same with bit-rate.... both Audio (stream) and Video (stream).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH198 View Post
Why is 720x576 up to 1920x1080 all part of what we call "HD" ?
720x576 isn't HD. Also if you look at the link you posted to Blu-ray, it says it is SD. 720x576 is the standard def "PAL" resolution (technically PAL doesn't really exist any more. It was an analogue format with 576 visible lines, The 720 isn't always used on TV stations - it can be other values) and since PAL was an analogue format it didn't have a specifc number of pixels across).

1080i and 720p and above are normally what is classed as high definition today (technically they'd also call a 2.40:1 film HD if it was in a 1280x720 format with black bars or probably even a 2.40:1 film in 1280x533 format without black bars even though that's under 720p used lines.).
--
The Blu-ray standard includes both high definition formats and standard definition formats. On Blu-ray extras can often be in one of the standard definition formats (though there are also Blu-rays with high def extras, normally the more recent films/releases). If the content (eg. extras) were originally SD they can just be copied over. Though there have also been titles that are upscales from SD to HD (ie. encoded on the Blu-ray as 1920x1080 even though the source was originally SD).

Quote:
But my question is why are these two formats part of the same HD specification
They aren't both part of the HD specification, they're both part of the Blu-ray specification, for the reasons specified above (eg. to also include content that was originally shot in SD).

Also, for the UHD-Blu-ray spec, while they've added UHD formats (eg. 3840x2160 at various frame rates up to 60 fps), they've not included the SD formats or 3D (that was in the Blu-ray format) but they have included 1920x1080 formats (in 2D, but not the interlaced versions).

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 07-08-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page