post #18931 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
It is said that Amir Majidimehr, General Manager & Vice President of Microsoft's Digital Media Division, told to Disney top officials about denial of iHD adoption to the BD spec, "Microsoft would concentrate all resources to react to the threat of the BD. We don't mind to delay the format standardization process and mess up next generation optical disc market".

Amir - Did you really say this?
Well you don't really expect him to cop to it, do you?

Certainly in character with the kind of things MS has said or threatened in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18932 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, with simulataneous dual 1080p output via dual HDMI the PS3 could be an awesome web browsing machine. A nice browser could be placed on a memory card and you could plug you keyboard and mouse into the USB 2.0 ports.

Look at the connections this beast will have:

There are six USB 2.0 ports, four on the front and two on the back. It has slots for Memory Stick, SD and CompactFlash cards. There are also three wired gigabit Ethernet ports, an optical port for audio, a multi-AV connector and two HDMI ports.

This beast will make a great hub or server as well as long as content can be passed on from USB input.
post #18933 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Well you don't really expect him to cop to it, do you?

Certainly in character with the kind of things MS has said or threatened in the past.
Even though I disagree with lots of what he says, he still deserves the chance to confront the issue before we jump to conclusions.
post #18934 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
It is said that Amir Majidimehr, General Manager & Vice President of Microsoft's Digital Media Division, told to Disney top officials about denial of iHD adoption to the BD spec, "Microsoft would concentrate all resources to react to the threat of the BD. We don't mind to delay the format standardization process and mess up next generation optical disc market".

Amir - Did you really say this?
Of course not. We have no ability to delay BDA or DVD Forum standards anyway. We are not a member of the former and only a single company in the latter with BD companies holding majority power in DVD Forum. And in AACS, we are one of the key companies pushing for fast resolution of issues and BDA companies hold majority vote even there.

If you have a source for the above quote, I would love to see it.

What I have said to Disney and other BD companies is that we believe in iHD and have put our weight behind it both in development and promotion of that technology. But this in no way "delays" anything. For HD DVD, our support of iHD actually speeds the development of products coming to market. For BD, this is just a "no op" as companies are free to develop BD-J on Windows as they see fit. Seems like an empty accusation with no basis in fact or logic....

Amir

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #18935 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
Even though I disagree with lots of what he says, he still deserves the chance to confront the issue before we jump to conclusions.

Even if he decides not to answer this one I don't think anyone can rationally draw any conclusions from it.

The "quote" was not even a quote. It was "an insider at Disney says that Amir said......"

Even if the conversation took place, I'm betting it was more akin to someone mentioning to Amir that MS's actions may delay or sabotage the next gen disc adoption. No matter what Amir said in response to a statement like that there is no win. My response would have been, "that's not our ***** problem you ****,*****, *******, piece of ******" which would have fit the nonquote.

Given that Amir was named directly - not "an MS official - but the Disney guy was "an insider at Disney" it was obviously a thrash job.

Someone at Disney, or Disney as a whole, is irritated with MS's actions. By posting here Amir has opened himself up to a lot of arrows - especially since he has said more than once (paraphrasing here) that decision makers at BD studios are holding onto BD because they either lack all of the info or they are afraid of looking like morons if they change their minds. After awhile that has got to irk at least some at BD studios, and one of them called a reporter in Japan hoping the story would gain traction.

In the end it doesn't change the fact that both HD-DVD and BlurRay must actually work to be purchased. Nothing MS can do for or against will change that.

Edit - man I type too slow.
post #18936 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez
First you need a processor. Sony's Cell chip is designed to provide the HW architecture that can scale from the smallest device to the largest and still provide a common HW/SW design that can be used everywhere.
It's IBM's Cell chip, isn't it? With help from Sony and Toshiba.

post #18937 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
Well, with simulataneous dual 1080p output via dual HDMI the PS3 could be an awesome web browsing machine. A nice browser could be placed on a memory card and you could plug you keyboard and mouse into the USB 2.0 ports.

Look at the connections this beast will have:

There are six USB 2.0 ports, four on the front and two on the back. It has slots for Memory Stick, SD and CompactFlash cards. There are also three wired gigabit Ethernet ports, an optical port for audio, a multi-AV connector and two HDMI ports.

This beast will make a great hub or server as well as long as content can be passed on from USB input.
Those three Ethernet ports are the most interesting to me. Logic would tend to indicate for a game box one Gbit port would be enough, two would be great, but three means they are thinking on having the need for two private ethernets for device to device communications. Now that is really interesting.

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #18938 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident
It's IBM's Cell chip, isn't it? With help from Sony and Toshiba.
It's Sony's brain child with the PS3 being first product use, IBM providing design/fab and Toshiba doing a fab too. Thing to remember is it's the CELL architecture and there are going be all kinds of CELL processors for all kinds of devices.

Including lots of BD devices for HD movies... (just to stay on topic a bit... ;) )

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #18939 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
May I ask everyone who likes to go after him (don’t mean you Bluescale) to do so with me? Anything he is guilty of, I am sure I am guilty of twice as much..
How sweet! But until you’re announced to be the official Gate(s)-keeper of the rules at this forum, we are at liberty to direct our comments and posts to whomever we choose without your direction, if that’s okay with you (and even if it isn’t). Lord knows you’ve addressed issues regarding myself, Richard Paul and others in posts that weren’t directed to our attention. What’s good for the goose…

Only twice? You sure you’re not being a little too kind to yourself here? ;)

But let’s get down to business. Here’s the EE Times article that started the whole ball rolling:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...5400242&pgno=1

and we’d be interested in hearing your side of the various statements contained therein. A little wash and rinse is to be expected, but please try to keep the spin cycle to a minimum, okay? :D

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #18940 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a note to all the people who are posting about their supposed "knowledge" about me.

First, knowing what I know about me ( my area of work is OLAP not windows ), that greatly reduces my confidence in whatever else these guys might be posting. Because that is how well they guess :D

Second, these are some of the same people who supported talkstr8t when I was asking him to disclose where he worked for. So much for being impartial.

Third, if this were to continue, I'd definitely ask the mods to intervene. Since, these guys are targeting me with personal attacks and FUD. If you want to just target MS employees, get your own board. Afterall I've been with this board for longer than some of these guys.

Forth, even though I've wondered about leaving these threads, I don't see myself doing that ... I'm not going to be chased away by a few Rush Limbaughs.
post #18941 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale
People will glady volunteer to give themselves that kind of exposure to high-ranking executives. If their opinions on the subject at hand match up, so much the better...
I don't know who the hell you are .. and you know nothing about me either. So how dare you say that I'm writing these posts to gain favors ? I expect an apology ...
post #18942 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
I agree with Keith that DLNA sounds like a pretty good standard for both CE and PC based video streaming. As such don't you think it is a bit much to start complaining about it when it is just coming out?
Huh ... pls go back and read the context.
post #18943 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
I'm not going to be chased away by a few Rush Limbaughs.

Bravo!

It also confuse me that once the ID dcforest posted in this thread claiming that BD+ is transparent to AACS(no interpolate issues), nothing would stand in the way of MMC, don't trust Amir, etc... Not one of these few "Rush Limbaughs" even question who he works for. Instead they happily welcome him with a big smile. Now we all know now that dcforest is spreading fud. Maybe that is why he never post here again.

HDPLEX
post #18944 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just a note to all the people who are posting about their supposed "knowledge" about me.

First, knowing what I know about me ( my area of work is OLAP not windows ), that greatly reduces my confidence in whatever else these guys might be posting. Because that is how well they guess :D

Second, these are some of the same people who supported talkstr8t when I was asking him to disclose where he worked for. So much for being impartial.

Third, if this were to continue, I'd definitely ask the mods to intervene. Since, these guys are targeting me with personal attacks and FUD. If you want to just target MS employees, get your own board. Afterall I've been with this board for longer than some of these guys.

Forth, even though I've wondered about leaving these threads, I don't see myself doing that ... I'm not going to be chased away by a few Rush Limbaughs.
Well, that was pretty weak. No wonder that Amir wants to dissuade anyone from communicating with you directly.

Let’s go in order, shall we?

“Pre-First†– I’m unaware of anyone claiming to have “knowledge†(your term) about you. The comments reflect others impressions of the content, style and volume of your posts, and their similarity of approach to someone else here.

“First†– I don’t really care what dept. you work for at MS, whether you’re brown-nosing (as someone else suggested) or whether you’ve been assigned or have determined to adopt the role of a surrogate for Amir. As noted above, whatever your intent may be is superfluous to the impressions your posts leave. Interesting that you don’t see such issues being raised about Sspears, another MS employee, who has historically been more active on this subject, than you have.

“Second†– apparently you intentionally don’t want to get this, but as Talkstr8t has pretty much admitted that he has connections to work for the BD side, we don’t really give a damn about who he specifically is or works for. The only ones conducting a witch hunt wrt that info is you and Amir, and for questionable reasons as far as I can tell.

“Third†– IIRC, this isn’t the first time you’ve raised the specter of the moderators in vain, to further some agenda. Its time to grow up. We’re allowed to question the interests of others in a democracy, in case you’re not aware of that, and trying to fashion that as a “personal attack†so you can go crying to the mods isn’t going to fool anybody.

BTW, its quite telling that you conveniently ignored the comments about the double standard some folks from MS seem to observe here, particularly when it comes to disclosure of members in their own consulting and promotion groups.

“Fourth†– You choose to cap off the post with another statement that mirrors the sentiments expressed by Amir here in the past. Priceless. And you want to know why some have drawn certain conclusions from your posts, eh?

Oh, and as far as apologies go, rest assured that "the check is in the mail". :rolleyes:

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #18945 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t
If Microsoft were Sony (that is, not in a monopoly position), this would be legal, though certainly not in the consumer's best interest.
I don't see how anyone can make the argument that MS is in a monolopy position when talking about the HiDef DVD format war. Sony, due to their vertical integration, is much closer to monolopy in this particular struggle. MS isn't even using their game console as a factor in this war while Sony seems to be betting the farm on it.
Doesn't matter whether they are a monopoly in game consoles, they are a monopoly in PC operating systems, and they appear to be unduly influencing their PC partners with regards to other issues. That's not legal.

-Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #18946 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I just wanted to make sure that my comments posted early this morning weren't taken as an attack on you. If I saw a VP from my company posting about a hot button issue that was considered important to the business, I would chime in my support.
post #18947 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know who the hell you are .. and you know nothing about me either. So how dare you say that I'm writing these posts to gain favors ? I expect an apology ...
Okay...I guess I should have kept reading before posting my last response. My point was simply that you weren't being paid by MS to support Amir, but rather supporting an exec at your company. I don't get a chance to talk to VPs on a daily basis. When I have the chance, I take it. Nothing negative was meant by it...
post #18948 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K display
Because HP, Dell, Gateway, Acer or any other non-Apple PC makers are pretty much bottlenecked in the choices they can offer consumers wrt OS's. But that's just the way I see it, even if no one else does. ;)
I don't see how MS is dictating what next-gen video player their customers must use.
post #18949 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t
Doesn't matter whether they are a monopoly in game consoles, they are a monopoly in PC operating systems, and they appear to be unduly influencing their PC partners with regards to other issues. That's not legal.

-Talk
Their monology position WRT operating systems only has a limited effect of the format war. Sure they are using back room politics to influence the battle, but every major player involved is doing that. It's possible that MS has done something illegal, but I'm not willing to buy that their conduct in this battle involves illegal activities simply because they've done it before. If I'm going to operate on that premise, I'm going to have to jump to the conclusion that Sony will install all sorts of insane software on my computer the first time I try to play a Blu-Ray movie using a computer. I'm not willing to do that either.
post #18950 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin
Well, that was pretty weak. No wonder that Amir wants to dissuade anyone from communicating with you directly.

Let’s go in order, shall we?

“Pre-First” – I’m unaware of anyone claiming to have “knowledge” (your term) about you. The comments reflect others impressions of the content, style and volume of your posts, and their similarity of approach to someone else here.

you are taking this way way too seriously. Even if every employee at MS was ordered by Bill and Amir to post here continuously it wouldn't affect the outcome of the war.

and the personal "exchanges" on both sides has become so voluminous that finding any info has become a bit of a pain.
post #18951 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nothing negative was meant by it...
Okay. Though in my book thats a no-no.

I'll delete my earlier post ..
post #18952 of 18952 Old 01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
This thread is way out of hand . Its also way to long for anyone to dig through so it is not closed. Start a fresh thread and keep it clean.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page