Comcast/DVHS vs DISH/R5000-HD archiving - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had no HDTV for awhile and looking to get back in over the next few months.

Gone are the days of the reliable Dish 5000 and HD Modulator, replaced with 5C and Tape media restricted CableTV/Firewire/DVHS or a 169Timed Dish receiver with some shortcomings of it's own. And now enters the R5000-HD which appears to have the promise of clean Transport files, PC editing, WM9 encoding, timed scheduling, and choice of media storage for Dish, DirecTV, or Bell ExpressVu.

I had Comcast Mot 6200 and was recording to DVHS using the JVC30K with some success. HD Video quality was quite good, but tape was a pain, not to mention the fear that JVC put into me with the 30K. I generally used tape for timeshifting and dumped what I wanted to archive to disk and eventually to dvd-r. Now with the latest 6200 firmware I understand I will no longer be able to archive on dvd-r, edit, or encode anything due to 5C enabled on all premium channels (HBO, SHO, STARZ, INHD, etc).

Going forward my preference would be to have the freedom to edit on a PC and archive on dvd-r which means using satellite as a source today (via 169Time or Nextcom). What concerns me with this solution is that E* and D* may be seriously compressing HD programming to glorified DVD level performance with cramming evermore programming on their birds.

Considering I've been out of the loop for awhile, what has been the experience of Comcast/DVHS users and Dish/DirecTV/BEV/R5000-HD Beta testers as of late, particularly concerning PQ(compression), video and/or audio dropouts, and a/v sync?

If you had to choose again, which provider and solution would you go with between Comcast Cable, Dishnetwork, DirecTV, or BEV?

TI Purepath Digital:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
Sponsored Links