AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
yes, there is HD-DVD-9 and it was added way before BD-9
To take it a step further, HD-DVD-9 was the Toshiba/TW solution for HD disks. Both HD-DVD-9 and BD-9 are red laser specs. There would have been no blue laser solution (AOD) from the DVD Forum if not for the BDA.

Chance favors the prepared mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I see Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. Not sure about others. Which studios make the Tarantino films?

Reservoir Dogs was an indie film so maybe the production values aren't there for glorious HD. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill should be better.
post #93 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
I've spoke with Alan. We have decided to re-open the original topic, but I may as well entertain arguments to simply continue here, anew.
Just wondering if you can tell us a time frame of when it will be re-opened or when you will make the decision? I would think you would have re-opened it by now and that is why I am asking.

Thanks
-Mark
post #94 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez
Pardon, I should have been more clear. Both red and blue laser are requirements for HD-DVD players. There is no spec from the DVD Forum that is HD red laser only. (But there might be depending on how desperate they get... ;) )
There's still a disconnect here. Is there a red laser only version of BD? From what I can tell, both BD and HD-DVD can have a red laser 9 gig disk. What am I missing here?
post #95 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
I see Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. Not sure about others. Which studios make the Tarantino films?

Reservoir Dogs was an indie film so maybe the production values aren't there for glorious HD. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill should be better.
They're under the Disney label from Miramax. I also saw Hero there so there are quite a few things from Miramax that are part of the Tarantino producing lineup.

Others that I *think* I see in there are titles like Fifth Element, Ladder 49, Pirates of the Carribean, Tomb Raider (Paramount, seen on the HD-DVD list as well), XXX (presumably the sequel), I think Hitch is on the far left, Fantastic Four and Total Recall. A rather varied list all told so far. Several must-haves for me on there that I didn't get on DVD knowing that I was waiting for HD (like Kill Bill) as well as definite upgrades like Fifth Element and Reservoir Dogs.
post #96 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
The *cough* Inquirer has a blurry shot of a row of Blu-Ray releases with artwork and *gasp* branding.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28691

Not surprising really considering the way gaming has been branded by consoles in the last few years with that prominent stripe along the top. With so many things in the market it's becoming a necessity.
Is it sad that I upconverted the pic via Lanczos to make out the titles and got about as giddy as I did when I was 10 and first saw a NES?

So far I see:

Hitch
The Fifth Element (tee-hee)
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Ladder 49
Tomb Raider
Hero
Pirates of the Caribbean
XXX
Total Recall
Dune
Lord of War

Yes, I'm pathetic. But I'm drooling over a blurry little picture.
post #97 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin
To take it a step further, HD-DVD-9 was the Toshiba/TW solution for HD disks. Both HD-DVD-9 and BD-9 are red laser specs.
To take this even one step further, TW is the reason BD-9 exsits. I fear TW's insistance on red laser HD will d@mn HiDef optical media.
post #98 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
2) You are assuming people are black or white. I think Amir, Nataraj....... all have some valid and some not so valid points. Saying statement X or at point Y what someone said is FUD is not a bad thing (especially if someone explains why it is wrong). That is what forums are all about and how you distil the truth and the information.

When one puts out the accusation that a person is "spreading fud", it implies the person is being dishonest. It goes further than saying the person is factually wrong because it implies they are intentionally being factually wrong - they're intentionally deceptive. The criticism thus switches from an attack on the argument to attack on the person who made the argument.

IMO, when a member of this board says something that you disagree with, it's enough to say that you disagree, and why you disagree. There is no need to go the extra step and imply that the person is intentionally lying for an ulterior motive. (Particularly if you don't have any real evidence to backup such a strong personal attack up.)

Of course, a person could try to claim they mean "FUD" in a more general sense - that is, the information could be true, but just happens to have the effect of causing fear, uncertainty and doubt. But if that is what is meant, the word is so general it has no meaning. Anything negative about a product is FUD by that definition, said by whomever, whether truthful or not. That broad of a meaning doesn't convey the pejorative that is clearly intended by the accusation.

No, the only legitimate connotation of "FUD" is that the person is being dishonest or deceptive. It is a personal attack, an ad hominem, and IMO isn't a charge that should be used against another member of this board any quicker than if you just outright called them a "liar". That is much different than disagreeing with a person.
post #99 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hitch
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Ladder 49
Tomb Raider
Hero
Pirates of the Caribbean
XXX
Total Recall
Dune
Lord of War

That's a pretty good lineup.
post #100 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
And already this thread has gone completely to complaining about complainers and those who don't complain about complaining or the complainers. If you've got issues, take it to the forum feedback area, private messages or something else already folks while the moderators and staff figure out the best way to approach the thread issue.
Well there's a news vacuum which should be rectified shortly.

And a lot of post-mortems of the old thread going on.

Should have plenty of info coming soon.

I guess some people are disappointed that there won't be big PS3 news. It would be nice if they could show a PS3 playing Charlies Angels Full Throttle disc at CES though.
post #101 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well there's a news vacuum which should be rectified shortly.

And a lot of post-mortems of the old thread going on.

Should have plenty of info coming soon.

I guess some people are disappointed that there won't be big PS3 news. It would be nice if they could show a PS3 playing Charlies Angels Full Throttle disc at CES though.
There've been quiet periods before and those were typically just that, quiet, i.e. no posts for a day or two. Either way, there is news to be talked about as there are listings of various titles from both camps for release as well as dates for the HD-DVD side. Packaging is showing up and so forth. Unless of course people aren't really interested in talking about the news but rather just arguing about things.
post #102 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan
That's a pretty good lineup.
Yup, and that's just what we can see from one blurry picture. The first year of releases are typically oriented much more towards the videophile and action/sci-fi genre since they show off the format and the TVs that they're being played on so there is a really nice healthy mix there between a couple of companies. If they manage to keep up on day and date for a lot of the titles as well, at least big mainstream releases, there should be some really good things to look forward to this year.
post #103 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Here's the titles I've been able to make out from the blurry image after using some unsharp mask in PhotoShop :)

Behind Enemy Lines
Dune
Fantastic 4
Fifth Element
Hero
Hitch
Kill Bill
Ladder 49
Lord of War?
Pirates of the Carribbean
Reservoir Dogs
Tomb Raider
Total Recall
xXx: State of the Union

There's still about 8-9 more that should be possible to identify.
post #104 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus
Is it sad that I upconverted the pic via Lanczos to make out the titles and got about as giddy as I did when I was 10 and first saw a NES?

So far I see:

Hitch
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Ladder 49
Tomb Raider
Hero
Pirates of the Caribbean
XXX
Total Recall
Dune
Lord of War

Yes, I'm pathetic. But I'm drooling over a blurry little picture.
Not bad, but I could recognize some others with the naked eye:

Behind Enemy Lines
Kung Fu Hustle
Sahara
Troy
Fantastic 4
Guns of Navarone

There also a couple I'm not sure of. The one at the top right looks like Coppola's Dracula, and there's another that might be Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #105 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez
Pardon, I should have been more clear. Both red and blue laser are requirements for HD-DVD players. There is no spec from the DVD Forum that is HD red laser only. (But there might be depending on how desperate they get... ;) )
I don't get your distinction. You can make a HD DVD format disc on red laser that'll work in HD DVD players just great. There isn't a spec for HD DVD players that can play red laser content but not blue laser content, if that's what you're speculating about. That would be reasonably pointless, as AACS support would require a new drive anyway.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine
Why do you choose to criticize Palladin, but don't criticize admonish? His (admonish's) comparison was ridiculous and much more insulting (IMO) than anything Palladin has ever written in this thread or the big one that's been closed.
Because we're discussing style in the thread, and Palladin said he preferred people talk to him directly about problems instead of going to the mods. and he made a post that seemed like a good example of what we're talkign about. Palladin certainly isn't the only person for whom that advice was intended.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

So far, I'd say based on what we can see of Paramount titles here, it looks like they're releasing the same things to each format, presumably within the same timeframe as well depending on hardware launch dates. That should make for some very interesting comparison reviews provided HD Review Sites have hardware for both.

Personally, I'm hoping if that happens, some hardware companies will find ways of getting hardware into reviewers hands at affordable prices or something else. I mean, if you can afford one player, which do you get? Especially if you have multiple reviewers, you have to make some interesting decisions. Support one format, neither or both?

Thankfully the anime side seems to be quiet within the US for awhile so it doesn't cause me problems.
post #108 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey anyone know if there's any TV coverage of CES?
Cnet will cover it heavily, probably with lots of online video. See http://ces.cnet.com.

-Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #109 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:19 PM

It is great that both formats will have some of the same movies! It should quickly put to rest which format wins the picture quality battle.
post #110 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When one puts out the accusation that a person is "spreading fud", it implies the person is being dishonest. It goes further than saying the person is factually wrong because it implies they are intentionally being factually wrong - they're intentionally deceptive. The criticism thus switches from an attack on the argument to attack on the person who made the argument.

IMO, when a member of this board says something that you disagree with, it's enough to say that you disagree, and why you disagree. There is no need to go the extra step and imply that the person is intentionally lying for an ulterior motive. (Particularly if you don't have any real evidence to backup such a strong personal attack up.)

Of course, a person could try to claim they mean "FUD" in a more general sense - that is, the information could be true, but just happens to have the effect of causing fear, uncertainty and doubt. But if that is what is meant, the word is so general it has no meaning. Anything negative about a product is FUD by that definition, said by whomever, whether truthful or not. That broad of a meaning doesn't convey the pejorative that is clearly intended by the accusation.

No, the only legitimate connotation of "FUD" is that the person is being dishonest or deceptive. It is a personal attack, an ad hominem, and IMO isn't a charge that should be used against another member of this board any quicker than if you just outright called them a "liar". That is much different than disagreeing with a person.
thank you for putting the issue in perspective. These threads should be debates, not arguments. This is what the moderators here are trying to do (just like televised debates) After reading the long thread, you can see where Amir went from giving us information to defending or explaining every word and phrase he has posted (kind of how people interpret every line of the Bible). Many people in the thread basically called him a liar without backing up anything with fact.

As for what's new, I guess we'll have to wait until CES starts rolling to get any real info or press releases.

Paul Seng
post #111 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert
Not bad, but I could recognize some others with the naked eye:

Behind Enemy Lines
Kung Fu Hustle
Sahara
Troy
Fantastic 4
Guns of Navarone

There also a couple I'm not sure of. The one at the top right looks like Coppola's Dracula, and there's another that might be Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

There's also "Legends of the Fall".
post #112 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpup
There's also "Legends of the Fall".
Brad Pitt is clearly overrepresented in this launch. ;)

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #113 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spa
I added Palladin to my ignore list a while back because of his style (heat exceeds light). He is obviously utterly uninterested in any suggestions that he could say the same things in more productive ways.
I'm surprised to read more people haven't added this character to IGNORE (plus several others). The pain of your eyes and brain reading that thread without IGNORE must be severe. :D

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #114 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch
I'm surprised to read more people haven't added this character to IGNORE (plus several others). The pain of your eyes and brain reading that thread without IGNORE must be severe. :D
And this just makes it worse. Just ignore the people you don't want to read and move on. Constantly talking about it only makes it worse in general. If you ignore someone, don't make it a big deal. Just do it and move on. Others have different levels of being able to deal and read posts from others. Some of us do it for a living so we can handle pretty much anything thrown at us.
post #115 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

So, how about them movies...
post #116 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
FUD is commonly used marketing technique, but shouldn't include being dishonest or deceptive. You're just pointing out things that people may not have taken into account yet, which may change their opinion/decision in your favor.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog:
post #117 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Don't kid yourself! Reservoir Dogs never made it to D-VHS but the Artisian pre-movie teaser shows a few seconds of it, and it looks awesome compared to the dvd.
post #118 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And this just makes it worse. Just ignore the people you don't want to read and move on. Constantly talking about it only makes it worse in general. If you ignore someone, don't make it a big deal. Just do it and move on. Others have different levels of being able to deal and read posts from others. Some of us do it for a living so we can handle pretty much anything thrown at us.
Who said we can't handle it? It's just annoying and wasteful of our time.... noone needs more work (ie. sorting out people purposefully acting like JERKS).

Thing is that as these offenders are added to IGNORE, their voices get louder and louder to casual viewers because their points are not being refuted (since they're being ignored).

I think these guys like Palladin, etc. SHOULD KNOW they're on ignore... i mean that pretty much nullifies someone's existence here if people are filtering them out.

This is AVS' problem to work out, but i'd like to point out the original thread was HIGHLY offensive and disgraceful when taken as a whole. I'm surprised people have not had their accounts suspended, etc.

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #119 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Fifth Element (tee-hee).
Supposedly there's a WMVHD of "The Fifth Element" floating around. I'd be interested to see how it compares to an official highdef DVD of the same movie. I'm assume the official release would have a higher bit rate, so it'd be interesting if one could actually tell the difference, and if so, how much of a difference. Just for curiosity's sake. :p
post #120 of 7981 Old 01-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So far, I'd say based on what we can see of Paramount titles here, it looks like they're releasing the same things to each format, presumably within the same timeframe as well depending on hardware launch dates. That should make for some very interesting comparison reviews provided HD Review Sites have hardware for both.

Personally, I'm hoping if that happens, some hardware companies will find ways of getting hardware into reviewers hands at affordable prices or something else. I mean, if you can afford one player, which do you get? Especially if you have multiple reviewers, you have to make some interesting decisions. Support one format, neither or both?

Thankfully the anime side seems to be quiet within the US for awhile so it doesn't cause me problems.
Assuming that for a given movie, both the BR and HD-DVD discs have the same bits, why would one deliver better video and audio than the other? :confused: Or are you talking about the quality of the players themselves as opposed to the disc formats?
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page