Industry Insiders Q&A Thread: only Questions to insiders please - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you can't then doesn't it mean you won't be able to copy the movies out now with managed copy? It seems managed copy is pretty vague right now. This is a feature HD-DVD, Blu-Ray is touting.

I want to know if the current crop of movies can be copied. If now they can't, then how about the future? Will only future discs be copyable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloB
If you can't then doesn't it mean you won't be able to copy the movies out now with managed copy? It seems managed copy is pretty vague right now. This is a feature HD-DVD, Blu-Ray is touting.

I want to know if the current crop of movies can be copied. If now they can't, then how about the future? Will only future discs be copyable?
I think it depends on what the final AACS agreements are, which is still up in the air. Should manage copies be aloud, we need to wait for approved MC software to be come available for the copies to be made.

Is Windows Vista going to have MC software available soon after launch? Will it be free or will it cost money for the software (not including fees for having a MC should there be one)?

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope

Can you copy HD DVD's or BD's today? NO
Every HD DVD released today already has the BCA (burst cutting area) for ID purpose. Once the AACS is finalized and MMC become a part of it, what prevents consumer from making copy of the current available HD DVD title?

Only insiders could answer this question.

I know current Toshiba players can't do MMC/MC.

HDPLEX
post #544 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Just curious but what is the maximum mux rate and transfer rate for the BD-Video format?
Maximum mux rate for BD-ROM is 48 Mbps with a disk transfer rate of 54 Mbps.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #545 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner
It's possible, but the big trend is moving decoding from recievers into players, so we can let the movies control the audio in cool ways. It's a big perspective change for a lot of folks on the high-end, but it's well worth doing. And since decoders are well-specified, there shouldn't be any quality difference in the PCM audio out of an inexpensive HD DVD player or a very high end reciever.

The future of audio interconnect is PCM. And it's a good thing.
Huh, now I'm confused. I thought DTS was keen for TrueHD to be done inside AVRs rather than players (that was my recollection from talk in one of the HiDef DVD threads here), transported via HDMI 1.3. Will we be seeing DTS TrueHD decoding inside players? I recall Dolby was keen on decoding inside players with transportation to AVRs via PCM. Do DTS and Dolby share the same PCM vision?

Second question (for all insiders) relates to HDMI sound quality. Will it improve?

More than a few people have stated that audio transported via HDMI does not sound that great (due primarily to jitter it seems). I recall that Arcam in its new AVR has HDMI but only for video switching, they do not like the sound of HDMI transported audio (they state that analogue currently is much better). Arcam is a quality company so I take their word on this issue (others have backed up this feeling as well). The question is will this situation improve, will the jitter (and other issues) of HDMI be solved in 1.3 and beyond such that high-end fans can use HDMI connectivity to get the best possible audio results.

Dennis.
post #546 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 PM

I think I can answer my own question. According to this article, the lack of managed copy on current generation players won't affect the media titles.

The article is on the PCWorld website and is called "Burning Questions: No Copying From First High-Def Players"
post #547 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I have GREAT news for those of you in Europe. I have finally permission to tell you that ALL Studio Canal titles will use 24p source encoding!!!

I told you to not worry :).

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #548 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
I have GREAT news for those of you in Europe. I have finally permission to tell you that ALL Studio Canal titles will use 24p source encoding!!!

Big thumbs-up from me Amir to you, your team and Studio Canal :D

Note, I was ready to blast anyone that persisted with needless 4% speedup. I can put than cannon away now.

Great news. It appears both sides will be offering 24p to all folk, be they PAL or NTSC region. Fantastic news. I'll be doing much less importing now.

Excellent!!

Dennis.
post #549 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought you would be happy Dennis :). Went looking for your old thread but it seems to have expired from my list....

Amir
Founder,

post #550 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:15 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:

Amirm - Am I wrong in thinking that this means the European releases will be 100% compatible with the US players (since regional coding isn't being used on the first titles)?
post #551 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael
Perhaps it's a promotional spot by Mos Def...

You generally don't see a good Mos Def reference dropped in a forum as, ahem, technical as this one. :)
post #552 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I thought you would be happy Dennis :). Went looking for your old thread but it seems to have expired from my list....
I'm extremely pleased, very much so. My original PAL regions thread has achieved its aim. Thanks again Amir.

Speaking of which, that thread still exists at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&page=1&pp=30

A note in that thread would be worthwhile, huge news indeed.

24p utopia ain't that far away :)

Dennis.
post #553 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb
Amirm - Am I wrong in thinking that this means the European releases will be 100% compatible with the US players (since regional coding isn't being used on the first titles)?
No you are not wrong. There are no region coding in HD DVD. So you can take titles from US and play them there, and vice versa. Of course, given the distribution deals content owners have, they would like you to not do that. But I let you decide what you like to do.

Amir
Founder,

post #554 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb99
Second question (for all insiders) relates to HDMI sound quality. Will it improve?

More than a few people have stated that audio transported via HDMI does not sound that great (due primarily to jitter it seems). I recall that Arcam in its new AVR has HDMI but only for video switching, they do not like the sound of HDMI transported audio (they state that analogue currently is much better). Arcam is a quality company so I take their word on this issue (others have backed up this feeling as well). The question is will this situation improve, will the jitter (and other issues) of HDMI be solved in 1.3 and beyond such that high-end fans can use HDMI connectivity to get the best possible audio results.

Dennis.
Jitter is definitely the enemy of digital audio. But yes, it will definitely improve in that higher end manufactures who understand it, and can design a player accordingly, will get it right and do justice to it. Note that some jitter problems are due to ground loops and hums induced by interconnect between devices. So if the quality is not quite where it should be, you may want to play with how you feed A/C into your player/reciever (move plugs, etc.). But we digress.

Amir
Founder,

post #555 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just adding to my answer, HDMI 1.3 will not do anything to improve jitter. Jitter is a function of electrical design of the system, not what protocol is used on the wire.

Also note that "re-clocking" and buffering on the receiver can also help a lot with jitter, but it introduces delay which may not be welcome without compensation elsewhere.

Amir
Founder,

post #556 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Jitter is definitely the enemy of digital audio. But yes, it will definitely improve in that higher end manufactures who understand it, and can design a player accordingly, will get it right and do justice to it. Note that some jitter problems are due to ground loops and hums induced by interconnect between devices. So if the quality is not quite where it should be, you may want to play with how you feed A/C into your player/reciever (move plugs, etc.). But we digress.
Some comments that folks have made is that HDMI audio actually is a regression sound wise compared to IEEE 1394/Firewire (which is much better jitter wise) and DenonLink. Hopefully companies can get on top of the HDMI audio issue, it appears that the industry wants HDMI to be the connection standard. I'm just hoping thats its audio qualities will improve.

Personally speaking, I'd rather have HDMI purely for digital video transportation, and IEEE 1394 for digital audio transportation (just from the information I've gleemed). Probably won't happen though.

Dennis.
post #557 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Forgive me if this has been brought up, but I'de like to know a couple things about the 360's external hd-dvd player before I spend $500 on the Toshiba....

1) Knowing that the decoder is by ATI and will be using the GPU to decode the video, can one expect similar PQ as in the current Toshiba hd player? <--- I'm not concerned with audio and other bells and whistles...just PQ. Can it even be predicted now?

2) Will the external hd-dvd player be able to upconvert standard dvds? If so...component? Hdmi? VGA?

A big thank you for answering these two questions and if they can't be answered I totally understand. :)

post #558 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
This was originally posted on another thread by CasualViewer. Could any of the insiders comment on it?
http://www.avguide.com/news/2006/07/...-chip-mistake/
post #559 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Amir, regarding the rumors of 5.1 TueHD on the HDA1 via firmware...

Logic is telling me that TrueHD would be less of a load on the processors in the A1 compared to DD+ because trueHD is less 'compressed' and would therefore require less processing to 'decompress'.

Is this a true statement? Are there any hardware issues keeping the A1 from supporting 5.1 True HD in the future?

BTW, got my D2 today! :D Looks like they've caught up with demand for the moment so yours may arrive shortly!
post #560 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836
This was originally posted on another thread by CasualViewer. Could any of the insiders comment on it?
That does not explain why people with the VAIO player see substandard picture quality too though?
post #561 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Does either Blu-ray or HD DVD have in the spec anything that would mitigate or eliminate audio video sync issues. Will this still be a possible problem with these formats?

I know that in some people setups broadcast or cable set top boxes and in some video upconversion and AV receivers all add up to millisecond delays that can be noticable to some people.

I understand the problem is each individual device may add an insignificant delay, but the whole setup chain can add to a significant delay. I occasionally hear it my self in digital cable. Some products have just come out to address the problem.

Do the new high def formats address the problem?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

post #562 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836
I am confused. At one point, they talk about how much better things looked when the "noise reduction" was turned off. But then they said:

Quote:
We started with HD DVDs, including clips from “Blazing Saddlesâ€, “Apollo 13″, and “Phantom of the Operaâ€. All were spectacular, sharp as a razor with detail to spare. Then we switched over to Blu-ray, playing clips from “The Fifth Element†and “Terminator 2.†Aside from “The Fifth Elementâ€â€™s obvious dirt and scratches, both titles looked decidedly soft compared to the HD DVDs
So I guess it didn't help much.

But most confusing was the final statement:

Quote:
I believe that Blu-ray has the potential to look every bit as good as HD DVD, perhaps even a little better for a number of technical reasons. And it’s not uncommon to encounter some bumps in the launch of any new format. Once Samsung fixes the noise-reduction problem, I have every confidence that Blu-ray will look fabulous.
They just finished comparing Blu-ray to HD-DVD with a "modified" Samsung player with the noise-reduction turned off. They said the BD titles looked decidedly soft compared to HD-DVD. So why have "every confidence that Blu-ray will look fabulous when the Samsung "fixes" the noise-reduction problem"?

post #563 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know I ma no insider but did not see these points responded to

Quote:
Going by all of that, Sony must have put on one hell of a smoke and mirrors show to get the studios to basically hand all the reigns over to Sony.

I'm certainly shocked with all that's been transpiring that none of the blu ray exclusive studios have deflected/announced dual format support. What's keeping their faith in Blu Ray over the long run?
Robert1: Sony is not the only replication equipment manufacturer. Singulus, Panasonic are offering their own replication lines. Also from Cinram and Deluxe in the past and some other replicators we know they have BD replication lines. I think Amir’s point was that for the short term (If Sony has the lower price due to a promised cap or something else) Sony might have the best price and so the studios won’t want to go somewhere else.

Quote:
Every HD DVD released today already has the BCA (burst cutting area) for ID purpose. Once the AACS is finalized and MMC become a part of it, what prevents consumer from making copy of the current available HD DVD title?
Lymzy: Don’t forget MC needs a lot more then just the BCA on the disk in order to work. For instance it would need to know the call home address. If all the decisions or structure have not been decided (By AACS or outside of AACS) then how can they be on the pressed disk already?
post #564 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
Lymzy: Don’t forget MC needs a lot more then just the BCA on the disk in order to work. For instance it would need to know the call home address. If all the decisions or structure have not been decided (By AACS or outside of AACS) then how can they be on the pressed disk already?
I am not forgetting anything. That's why I am asking. :)
The HD DVD menu/extras/subtitles/sound tracks could all be updated later. Adding an URL for the clear house shouldn't be a problem. Of course, I am still looking for the insider's confirmation.

HDPLEX
post #565 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty
Does either Blu-ray or HD DVD have in the spec anything that would mitigate or eliminate audio video sync issues.
Nothing in the specs since it is a player implementation issue. While greater care is now being taken to ensure the A/V outputs of the player are correctly time-aligned, some players will have the ability to adjust the audio delay relative to the video. HDMI 1.3 also provide the tools to help address the issue moving forward.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog:
post #566 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

did you guys ever address if there are legal issues with releasing a COMBO (blu/hddvd) player?

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #567 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Ben and Talkstr8t
I have a few follow up.

Ben: If I understand correctly HD DVD can but the specs say a max of 2 so if you have general and dialog it can't have a commentary track but a way around it could be to have a)general, b)dialog only and c)dialog + commentary so if you are not watching the commentary you listen to A+B and if you do it is A+C?

too bad it is only two, after Talkstr8t's post I thought it would be cooler to have Music, effect, dialog1, D2, D3. That way the music could also be the movies soundtrack (as a menu item , play song#1, #2 and the movie at that point as the video)

------

Talkstr8t: there was a reason I wanted the HD DVD and BD answer, HD DVD requires the player to process audio (well, up to 2ch lossless) and pass the processed info to the receiver. How does the muxing of the three channels you mentioned work in BD? can it do the combining without decoding and send the mixed signal to the receiver? does it send three tracks to the receiver and hopefully it can get three inputs and mux them together?
post #568 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HD DVD requires the player to process audio (well, up to 2ch lossless) and pass the processed info to the receiver. How does the muxing of the three channels you mentioned work in BD? can it do the combining without decoding and send the mixed signal to the receiver? does it send three tracks to the receiver and hopefully it can get three inputs and mux them together?
I'm not well-versed in the audio implementation, but I believe that they get mixed as PCM, so you only get the proper audio mix if you allow the player to do the decoding. If anyone knows differently please correct...

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #569 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ben: If I understand correctly HD DVD can but the specs say a max of 2 so if you have general and dialog it can't have a commentary track but a way around it could be to have a)general, b)dialog only and c)dialog + commentary so if you are not watching the commentary you listen to A+B and if you do it is A+C?

too bad it is only two, after Talkstr8t's post I thought it would be cooler to have Music, effect, dialog1, D2, D3. That way the music could also be the movies soundtrack (as a menu item , play song#1, #2 and the movie at that point as the video)
I'm in Las Vegas right now, without a copy of the spec handy, so I'm not sure. But there might be a way to use the effects track to add commentary on top (but you wouldn't get button sounds).

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

post #570 of 4623 Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive
Amir, regarding the rumors of 5.1 TueHD on the HDA1 via firmware...
I would also like to know the status/possibility of 5.1 TueHD implementation on the A1. This is the last hurdle to getting me off the fence and making a purchase.

David
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page