Industry Insiders Q&A Thread: only Questions to insiders please - Page 70 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any comment as to when XE1 be available in the US?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Amir,

Warner, Paramount and Universal just announced some HD-DVD titles in Europe. Would it be a safe assumption to say that they'll probably simply reuse the US VC-1 encoding - since the announced titles are some of the same which are already available in the US?
I did not ask them this but would say this is a reasonable assumption.

Quote:
How big/small is the chance that Warner used a new non-bobbed real 1080p master for the European Lethal Weapen release? :)

Thanks!
I don't know but will ping them to see if they will invest in redoing these for the EU launch.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #2073 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

can either of our insiders from sigma or broadcom comment on these new, apparently g2 soc, players from toshiba? specifically, if they are soc based, are they using broadcom or sigma? do you know anything about how they will output 1080p (i.e., directly or indirectly like the samsung bd player) and at what framerates/frequencies?

TIA
post #2074 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
I did not ask them this but would say this is a reasonable assumption.

I don't know but will ping them to see if they will invest in redoing these for the EU launch.
Now that’s dedication, by my clock Amir posted this just before he went on stage in Berlin. ( 2 Sept, 3pm Berlin)

That or either I’m seeing his post stamp wrong. I guess wi-fi isn’t in short supply there. Wait a minute; is that a white Toshiba laptop on the podium in front of you? Dude if your postin on AVS while up on stage that’s just wrong!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0902/ifa02.htm

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...2/ifa02_10.jpg
post #2075 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Some posts not fitting the parameters for this thread have been removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2076 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/general_i...009/Index.html

http://www.hddvdprg.com/about/member.html

So: Someone explain to me the status of companies like Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo/Integra?

These companies are listed under both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Can't ANYONE give me a straight answer on this?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #2077 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Are BD-ROM devices that are "System Description Part 1" conformant required to play BD50? That is, are there existing non-conformant devices out there that are not required to read BD50, but yet get the Blu Ray logo? If so, which of the upcoming BD players are "System Description Part 1" conformant?
post #2078 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t
You want to bring the new tech on as the old tech is peaking, not when it's dead.

Further, the widespread adoption of Blu-ray media for computer storage will only help push down equipment and media prices, which is a good thing for everyone.

Have you noticed where most of the tier one CE vendors are based? Without the Japanese market I doubt we'd have most of the A/V goodies we enjoy.

Besides, HD-DVD requires much less in the way of new, unproven technology (since it's based on the same basic physical structure as DVD), but only beat BD-ROM to market by a few months. I don't see any way that BD-ROM could have been sped up by skipping recordable.

The benefit to you, the non-gaming consumer, is you get more studio support and lower standalone player prices as a side-effect.

It's been repeated here many times that MPEG-2 is good enough, given enough storage and a skilled encoding job. I think the studios who released the first batch of titles probably heard loud and clear that the picture quality offered wasn't sufficient to please their target audience. I'll be very surprised if PQ is a significant issue going forward, especially now that advanced codec support is imminent.

If you're still unimpressed come November/December then I wouldn't blame you for walking away from Blu-ray.

- Talk
Thanks much, Talk;

Good points all

. . . . altho I do take a vested issue with the general concept of getting good PQ from MPEG-2 at less than 19 ish Mbps. . . but that's mostly a problem for those of us who have to deal with OTA broadcast.
I've been burned by seeing our work on sub 19 Mbps MPEG-2 too often to have a totally open mind . . . . but I remain open re: optical media.

Again, I appreciated the response.

-30-

Film Is NOT DEAD -- it is the Gold Standard against which all other formats are measured

Support ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO
post #2079 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t
You want to bring the new tech on as the old tech is peaking, not when it's dead.

Further, the widespread adoption of Blu-ray media for computer storage will only help push down equipment and media prices, which is a good thing for everyone.

Have you noticed where most of the tier one CE vendors are based? Without the Japanese market I doubt we'd have most of the A/V goodies we enjoy.

Besides, HD-DVD requires much less in the way of new, unproven technology (since it's based on the same basic physical structure as DVD), but only beat BD-ROM to market by a few months. I don't see any way that BD-ROM could have been sped up by skipping recordable.

The benefit to you, the non-gaming consumer, is you get more studio support and lower standalone player prices as a side-effect.

It's been repeated here many times that MPEG-2 is good enough, given enough storage and a skilled encoding job. I think the studios who released the first batch of titles probably heard loud and clear that the picture quality offered wasn't sufficient to please their target audience.

I'll be very surprised if PQ is a significant issue going forward, especially now that advanced codec support is imminent.

If you're still unimpressed come November/December then I wouldn't blame you for walking away from Blu-ray.

- Talk

Great post!

I'm not going to beat this horse to death, but I'll just state it one more time, point blank:

See the bold? That's when Blu-Ray should have launched to begin with, at least imo.

When I see comments like that, it almost feels like an indirect admission of sorts to that effect, but that's just me. Not trying to put any words in your mouth. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #2080 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincelluloid
I've been burned by seeing our work on sub 19 Mbps MPEG-2 too often to have a totally open mind . . . . but I remain open re: optical media.
Captain,

Care to narrow down "our work" to specific titles? Some of your posts seem insider-ish and would like to know in case we have some vital film-based questions and pose them to you.

BTW, I agree with your sig. I hope our work proves it or a desire for it for the most part.

Cjplay.
post #2081 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amir,

RE: the studio-canal HD DVD releases, will they contain all extras from the SD-DVD releases? Or will they be BD-lite with just the film?

Thanks!

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #2082 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover
can either of our insiders from sigma or broadcom comment on these new, apparently g2 soc, players from toshiba? specifically, if they are soc based, are they using broadcom or sigma? do you know anything about how they will output 1080p (i.e., directly or indirectly like the samsung bd player) and at what framerates/frequencies?

TIA
Ben, you know I’m not from sigma or broadcom, but since nobody answered your query, I’ve been told that the 2G SoC-based player from Toshiba will not be using sigma. It will probably be based on the broadcom BCM7440.
post #2083 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC
Amir,

RE: the studio-canal HD DVD releases, will they contain all extras from the SD-DVD releases? Or will they be BD-lite with just the film?

Thanks!

In addition:
If they do contain extras from the SD DVD versions, can we assume they will be the extras available on the R2 versions of these films?

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #2084 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Let me find out what is going on with exras and get back to you. I have some of that data, but not the complete picture -- pun intended :).

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #2085 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover

TIA

Certainly not Sigma:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8333340
post #2086 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just to confirm this but did iHD really get its name changed to HDi because some other product was already using the name? Also why not just call it iVista considering that Microsoft will use it in Windows Vista?
post #2087 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Just to confirm this but did iHD really get its name changed to HDi because some other product was already using the name? Also why not just call it iVista considering that Microsoft will use it in Windows Vista?
You haven't seen me use a different name, have you?

As to Vista, I don't see why that is relevant. BD-J will run on Linux. Should they call it jLinux? Or should we call iHD iLinux since we run on that already?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #2088 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
So that was just a rumor than?

Quote:
As to Vista, I don't see why that is relevant.
Didn't you once tell us that iHD was the interactive system used by Windows Vista? Also I didn't mean to imply anything negative by that question.
post #2089 of 4623 Old 09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Didn't you once tell us that iHD was the interactive system used by Windows Vista? Also I didn't mean to imply anything negative by that question.
You mean Vista uses it for other things? If so, no. That is not the case.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #2090 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Amir, some questions:
- At ~ 10 Mbit/s average is there really no visible difference to a version encoded at 15 or 20 average? Even on 1080p DLP? Does it depend on the picture? Is the difference 'only' noise behaviour/statistics?
- Is the progress due to better separation between signal and noise? More parallel search?
- I have heard you can go as low as < 5 Mbit/s for 1080p if you just have enough time to do an 'much bigger if not exhaustive search'. Is that true? If a source is noise free, how low can you go if computation time is no concern? Where are the theoretical limits?
- And is this actually a good development? I'm afraid studios will be tempted to cram more and more stuff on the discs since VC-1 is so good, 'you know', and slowly quality moves in the wrong direction, not too obvious but visible on high end equipment.
post #2091 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 02:20 AM

Amir...

Today we have "blu-ray vs HD DVD vs DVD" whenever a new title is released.

Does the DVD forum have any plans on permanently gluing HD DVD and DVD discs together, so that we end up with just "blu-ray vs HD DVD/DVD combos"?

Or is this not currently feasible in terms of low yields on the 30/9 combos?
post #2092 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm:
Quote:
So that was just a rumor than?
So Amirm really isn't rdjam after a couple glasses of wine? :)

Just a little humor. I appreciate every tidbit you guys bring, even when it's for the other side.

Amirm: are you aware of each and every title that is VC-1 encoded, for each format?

Is there differences in encoding parameters when a title will be on a HD DVD 15 combo vs. a full 30?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #2093 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner
Amir, some questions:
- At ~ 10 Mbit/s average is there really no visible difference to a version encoded at 15 or 20 average? Even on 1080p DLP? Does it depend on the picture? Is the difference 'only' noise behaviour/statistics?
- Is the progress due to better separation between signal and noise? More parallel search?
- I have heard you can go as low as < 5 Mbit/s for 1080p if you just have enough time to do an 'much bigger if not exhaustive search'. Is that true? If a source is noise free, how low can you go if computation time is no concern? Where are the theoretical limits?
- And is this actually a good development? I'm afraid studios will be tempted to cram more and more stuff on the discs since VC-1 is so good, 'you know', and slowly quality moves in the wrong direction, not too obvious but visible on high end equipment.
MHafner, As you're probably aware, the encoding is always content dependent. You can't say all titles can be encoded at 10Mbits ABR for HD DVD and BD. I know it can't be said... That said, the digitally shot and created/posted content compresses very well. If we had the time, several of them could compress in the 8-9Mbits range. The best examples are clean CGI like Cars or The Incredibles. Could they be encoded at 5Mbits with enough time? No. I've done cards and stills at 1Mbit. I've done still galleries at 2.5Mbits. I've never done any HD motion elements except credits below 5Mbits. Not even my contacts at MS say that about HD-DVD.

I'm unclear if this is good. If Studios maintain that this compressability remains content-dependant versus "Everthing will look good at XXMbits ABR" then we should be okay.

Now, it is possible to compress HD films at lower ABR/PBRs if the buffer and GOP were large enough, the encoder accurate enough, and the 3rd pass tools about to cut inside a GOP. I've seen 60-second buffers compress even complex HD material at the 5-7Mbits ABR range with a PBR in the 20Mbits range. Just remember HD and BD players don't support that size of a buffer because it would take keyframe distances in the 20s and spikes in the 40mbits range. I hope IPTV rigs support that someday, but I don't thing SoC's will for the short term.

Cjplay.
post #2094 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX
Is there differences in encoding parameters when a title will be on a HD DVD 15 combo vs. a full 30?
For films under 2 hours, not really. Why? Studios tend to drop extras to fit on an HD15, not really film quality (for now). After reading it all over these forums, I'd thing you'd want that? There's even 1 or 2 that might have TrueHD on it...

Cjplay.
post #2095 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
Ben, you know I’m not from sigma or broadcom, but since nobody answered your query, I’ve been told that the 2G SoC-based player from Toshiba will not be using sigma. It will probably be based on the broadcom BCM7440.

ok, i see that kjack in another thread has indicated, at least quite some time ago, that the g2 tosh players were not using sigma chips...so i guess that leaves broadcom...but i don't see that specific chip model on their site...bcm7440...is that a new product? any specs on that chip?
post #2096 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/general_i...009/Index.html

http://www.hddvdprg.com/about/member.html

So: Someone explain to me the status of companies like Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo/Integra?

These companies are listed under both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Can't ANYONE give me a straight answer on this?

A new day, I'll take another shot at this. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #2097 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
A new day, I'll take another shot at this. :)
What would you like to know about them? For one thing, you can assume that they are not afriad of being around HD DVD companies :). Seriously, this is important as some companies are truly concerned about which camp they are in due to other business they do with these companies (although this will not stop them from producing competing products as even Sony showed with the first +-RW drive despite the huge battle between those two camps).

Second, and probably what you want to hear, is whether they are more likely to produce HD DVD products. I would say that is a fair thing although not a sure thing until they announce something.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #2098 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 07:42 AM

Amir, do you know the difference of this model (US) Toshiba HD-XA2 and the European HD-XE1 ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8346916
post #2099 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDeff
Amir, do you know the difference of this model (US) Toshiba HD-XA2 and the European HD-XE1 ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8346916
Yes I do :). Next question, and remember that you lost one of your three wishes already. :D

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #2100 of 4623 Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yes I do :). Next question, and remember that you lost one of your three wishes already. :D
Second question. What´s the difference.? :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page