Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Post Questions [only questions] directed to and answered only by Industry Insiders who are asked to identify themselves as such

Industry Insiders may answer questions or make comments: this is the thread for chat between Insiders as well

any AVS member can post questions for Insiders- but we will not tolerate any bashing

AVS recognizes the special nature of Industry Insiders and values their participation: we ask all AVS members to treat them with respect

Remember: Questions only: no off topic posts: they may be removed: and only Insiders [who have been recognized by AVS moderators] may answer

:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If we have any Blu-ray insiders who can tell us when exactly we should expect to see movies on BD50 in stores, I'd love an honest answer. I'd also like to know if Sony has reconsidered there preference for MPEG2 and is considering VC1. Finally I'd like to know if
post #3 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 01:43 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Questions for Blu-ray insiders:

1. When should we expect to see movies on BD50 in stores?
2. Is Sony still planning to stick to MPEG2 or have they reconsidered?
3. Which video codec are Warner, Fox, and Disney planning to launch their BD titles with?
4. Are any of the hardware manufacturers considering lowering their prices drastically on their initial players this fall to better compete with HD DVD?

Questions for HD DVD insiders:

1. Is there any other company besides Toshiba that will have an HD DVD player out by the end of this year? I'm not including rebadged Toshiba products.
2. When can we expect more studio support? Is there any truth to the rumors that Lions Gate will be releasing on HD DVD shortly?

Thanks in advance.
post #4 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 01:50 PM

Are any studios other than Warner, Universal, and Studio Canal doing VC-1 authoring at the moment? (for whichever format)
post #5 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
can you get me some free samples? (just kidding)

Would like to know on the BD50 and VC-1 thing.
post #6 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg
Is there any other company besides Toshiba that will have an HD DVD player out by the end of this year? I'm not including rebadged Toshiba products.
Difficult to give such specific schedules for other companies. I would say a safe bet is Q1 next year. Sooner could happen but the schedule risk would be higher.

Note that desire is there to have products asap but it takes time to design and ship new products like this given the complexity of design.

Quote:
2. When can we expect more studio support? Is there any truth to the rumors that Lions Gate will be releasing on HD DVD shortly?
Can not confirm or deny unfortunately.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #7 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efralope
Are any studios other than Warner, Universal, and Studio Canal doing VC-1 authoring at the moment? (for whichever format)
Yes :).

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCamel
can you get me some free samples? (just kidding)
Say I am the greatest poster on AVS Forum a dozen times, and I might send you an HD DVD movie or two. Say it a hundred times, and I might gift you a Toshiba player. You know, the old points thing :D.

Quote:
Would like to know on the BD50 and VC-1 thing.
You mean chances of VC-1 and BD-50 being available for BD format? The latter needs to be addressed by a BD insider. On the other, interest amongst BD companies has increased sharply wrt to VC-1. When and how that translates into VC-1 titles in BD format is hard to say (and disclose).

Amir
Founder,

post #9 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Amirm is the greatest poster on AVS forum

You owe me a movie dude ;)

Thank you for your answers. I'm glad some of these companies are at least taking note of VC-1. You gotta start somewhere.
post #10 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
Difficult to give such specific schedules for other companies. I would say a safe bet is Q1 next year. Sooner could happen but the schedule risk would be higher.

Note that desire is there to have products asap but it takes time to design and ship new products like this given the complexity of design.

Any info to share on the rumored 1.5G Toshiba player slated for this Fall?

Beer. So much more than just a breakfast drink!
post #11 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Amir,

From your experience with the A1, is it going to be a chore for other CE's and Toshiba even to match it's quality and performance on all aspects and on price?
post #12 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1
Amir,

From your experience with the A1, is it going to be a chore for other CE's and Toshiba even to match it's quality and performance on all aspects and on price?
I don't think we will see anouther consumer player like it. It has a ton of hardware for the price. Next generation products will be more streamlined with less hardware. And will probably work better as a result of it. But they will leave out some of the advanced hardware in this box.

Fortunately, heavy hitter high-end companies are getting into the game. They are liable to build even higher end products. And of course, prices to match :).

Amir
Founder,

post #13 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight1
Any info to share on the rumored 1.5G Toshiba player slated for this Fall?
Nothing that I can comment on unfortunately.

Amir
Founder,

post #14 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Fortunately, heavy hitter high-end companies are getting into the game. They are liable to build even higher end products. And of course, prices to match :).
Care to drop us any names, since that's certainly something that's there's been no real hint of on the radar thus far.

Whatever ya can. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #15 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Care to drop us any names, since that's certainly something that's there's been no real hint of on the radar thus far.
Unfortunately I can not. That is for them to announce.

Suffice it to say, it is getting very hard to sell expensive upsampling DVD players when a $500 box can produce images with 6X the resolution :).

Amir
Founder,

post #16 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suffice it to say, it is getting very hard to sell expensive upsampling DVD players when a $500 box can produce images with 6X the resolution :).

I guess Denon.

HDPLEX
post #17 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy
I guess Denon.
I still wonder if they, and some others, might just try a universal or dual deck solution instead...if they even bother to jump in at all during this format war.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #18 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is desire to build universal players at the high-end. The problem is, those drives are hard to come by and companies making them, have their own product plans, making it hard for smaller companies to get access to them. This will change in the future when we are not supply limited but in the short to medium term, will not be conducive to high-end universal offerings.

Amir
Founder,

post #19 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't think we will see anouther consumer player like it. It has a ton of hardware for the price. Next generation products will be more streamlined with less hardware. And will probably work better as a result of it. But they will leave out some of the advanced hardware in this box.

I'm probably going to show my ignorance on this, but here goes:

Usually, each succeeding generation of a product means an improvent...usually across the boards.

In this case, if I read you right, you are indicating at least one if not several "exceptions to that rule", as it were.

Could you be specific as to what you mean by that bolded item? Thanks!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #20 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nothing too specific. I just doubt that next generation machines will have 4 discreet DSPs for audio processing for example.

Amir
Founder,

post #21 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does MS really care to see HD DVD succeed or is it all about getting studios to use VC1 regardless of the medium?
post #22 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
Post Questions directed to and answered only by Industry Insiders who are asked to identify themselves as such

Industry Insiders may answer questions or make comments: this is the thread for chat between Insiders as well

any AVS member can post questions or comments for Insiders- but we will not tolerate any bashing

AVS recognizes the special nature of Industry Insiders and values their participation: we ask all AVS members to treat them with respect

Lets see how this works for a while :)
Nice to see my little 2cents :o turn into this trial thread, looks informative already. :D I'd also like to suggest that if it turns out that only Amir is really responding to users questions in this thread then it should eventually be renamed as appropriate to it's content.

Amir you also answered a question of mine in the news thread a while back regarding the Xbox 360 software player and whether it would be able to fit on the 360 as an update w/o requiring a harddrive.

You said you were pretty sure it would but would have to verify that question 100% with others in your group. Can you verify that 100% yet?

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #23 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim
Amir you also answered a question of mine in the news thread a while back regarding the Xbox 360 software player and whether it would be able to fit on the 360 as an update w/o requiring a harddrive.

You said you were pretty sure it would but would have to verify that question 100% with others in your group. Can you verify that 100% yet?
Sorry, I forgot to do that. Just fired off the email. Will let you know what I hear....

Amir
Founder,

post #24 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I'd also like to suggest that if it turns out that only Amir is really responding to users questions in this thread then it should eventually be renamed as appropriate to it's content.
Others are more likely to respond if the question does not involve information that is likely to be covered by an NDA. Product marketing plans almost always fall in this category.

I personally don't believe that a product is really shipping until FedEx has some random neighbor sign for it :D
post #25 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd also like to suggest that if it turns out that only Amir is really responding to users questions in this thread then it should eventually be renamed as appropriate to it's content.
Hard to participate if you don't know the thread exists. Some of us have a real life. :) OTOH, most questions can't likely be answered due to NDAs...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog:
post #26 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack
Hard to participate if you don't know the thread exists. Some of us have a real life. :) OTOH, most questions can't likely be answered due to NDAs...
Hi Keith,

You haven't missed much, the idea just took effect at 5 hours ago.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #27 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
You haven't missed much, the idea just took effect at 5 hours ago.
:o

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Blog:
post #28 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack
OTOH, most questions can't likely be answered due to NDAs...
As long as there are HD DVD manufactures using 8634, I don't really care about the rest. :D

HDPLEX
post #29 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, just confirmed it and I was right. Hard disk option is not required for HD DVD playback. The HD DVD drive itself will have storage for bookmarks and such...

Amir
Founder,

post #30 of 4623 Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Usually, each succeeding generation of a product means an improvent...usually across the boards.
While this is true when there is not major changes to the design (moving from 1G to 2G SoC decoder for example), it may not hold true when moving to a completely different design. For example, it could be challenging for a SoC-based HD-DVD player design to match the current performance of Toshiba player for a chip generation or two. Of course, additional chips (at additional cost) could make up for it. At that point, maybe there would be different price/performance models introduced?

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
Blog:
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page