HiDef DVD News VII - News Only : AND WE MEAN IT: NEWS ONLY - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Is the Blue better?

please go back and edit your posts:

it is called Blu-ray

you know better

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Other news - The PS3 is being promoted heavily as the Bluray player that will reverse the significant lead that HD DVD currently enjoys.

There's now news that the player has been cracked, and that game discs (ie rentals or borrowed games) can be saved to the hard drive.

Not yet know if this applies to movies as well...

"One week after launch, PS3 can rip games to any PC hard drive you feel like slapping in..."

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=488266

I'm only linking to a discussion of it, as it would be against forum rules to go further.

But the news itself might give cause for developers to be concerned.
post #513 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

please go back and edit your posts:

it is called Blu-ray

you know better

Hi Mark - it certainly isn't intended as a slur to write Bluray, as it's used commonly, even if it is not strictly the exact term. It is not derogatory in any way.

Since I was transcribing everything by hand, it's easier. Surely no-one is reporting compaints over something this petty?

EDIT = OOps, never mind, I found the mistake I think you meant - fixed. Sorry about that..
post #514 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Other news - The PS3 is being promoted heavily as the Bluray player that will reverse the significant lead that HD DVD currently enjoys.

There's now news that the player has been cracked, and that game discs (ie rentals or borrowed games) can be saved to the hard drive.

Not yet know if this applies to movies as well...

"One week after launch, PS3 can rip games to any PC hard drive you feel like slapping in..."

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=488266

I'm only linking to a discussion of it, as it would be against forum rules to go further.

But the news itself might give cause for developers to be concerned.

That'll really boost sales of the 60G model.
post #515 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey all - how about some actual NEWS for a change?

...Toshihiro Sakamoto, president of Panasonic's AVC networks company, admits that he thought HD DVD would run out of steam early: "I was hoping that by the end of this year, there would not be a format war".[/b]

How cloistered and unrealistic were some of these people??

...Sakamoto says he is unconcerned that large swathes of Hollywood are now supporting both HD formats. "If I was a software manufacturer, I would buy insurance," he says. "That's natural."
Large swathes? Maybe he knows something?

This quote reminds me of a quote in April...Queue the dream music...

Matsushita Says NO to HD DVD-BD Compromise

Quote:

In comments to Reuters, Kazuhiro Tsuga, an executive at Japan's Matsushita, has stated next-generation Blu-ray and HD DVD formats will never merge. "We are not talking and will not talk," he said. "The market will decide the winner."

No one at the time was even considering, never mind expecting a truce. Why would they say that stuff, then and now?
post #516 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo and Sony Get Caught in Microsoft's Xbox 360 Mousetrap
With 10 million XBox 360 consoles on the market by Jan 07, I see a huge market for HD DVD add-ons. HD DVD add-on works extremely well...If MS ever reduces the price of the 360, war is over. Sony has to reduce price. If they do, without reducing cost however, finances get a whole lot worse....
post #517 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

Dismal number?

Compared to promises made.
post #518 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some news about video downloads from XBox live.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...sftxbox25.html

Quote:

Early users of Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox Live online TV and movie service have been reporting widespread technical problems, including unusually long download times, undelivered content and repeat charges.

Microsoft acknowledged the difficulties Friday, promised refunds to people experiencing trouble and said it was on track to resolving the situation.

Here is the interesting part ...

Quote:

The demand was "significantly beyond what anybody ever expected," said Aaron Greenberg, the Xbox Live group's marketing manager.

post #519 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

In my 24 hours experience with this product, I can corroborate this completely...Better to stay local, with HD-DVD.
post #520 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Crickets from the BR side of the aisle on the HCC reports re: sony and Panasonic?

Well, at least we won't keep hearing how VC1 and AVC1 "aren't better than Mpeg2"...
post #521 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post

Meanwhile, BD struggles to include CD support on BD drives....

One drive model (first generation) doesn't include CD support. Every other does, including four or five burners. Where are all the HD-DVD burners? How many HD-DVD ROM drives are even available? Toshiba, NEC, LiteOn, umm, huh.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #522 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Microsoft announced they shipped 200,000 for the launch. Media reports indicate 120,000 sold immediately.

Would you mind citing/ linking one of those reports, please?
Quote:

Other media reports indicate that Sony only had 150,000 PS3s shipped for launch.

They announced 90K in Japan and the lowest estimates for US launch were 125K.

Blu-ray Insider
post #523 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Wii DVD player planned

Of coiurse it's the Inquirer, nothing more than rumor and inuendo....

Quote:

Next year, according to rumours.

NINTENDO HAS plans to release a new version of the Wii next year that will ship with a HD DVD player, according to industry rumours.

However, the spokesNintendo admitted it shouldn't be impossible in theory. In fact, said the spokesman, Microsoft was able to patch the Xbox 360 to support 1080p and Nintendo has already released a patch to allow Wii gamers to transfer game saves to SD cards.

There are rumors that Wii can support 720p/1080i.
post #524 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez View Post

The only ones screaming in terror are CE companies when they price out building BD players. Once they find that BD has already been discounted to $499 at retail, they head for the hills...

b2b

Fixed.
post #525 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where are all the HD-DVD burners? How many HD-DVD ROM drives are even available? Toshiba, NEC, LiteOn, umm, huh.

Who cares about burning anything with next gen drives when Hollywood won't let you burn anything? Have you seen ANY statistics that I have been posting about DVD recorders in north america/europe? DVD recording of video in NA/Europe is dead. Worse than dead. And that is before HD comes along and puts a stop to BD recording to disc completely. Unless, of course, you can divulge plans that would say otherwise.

How many BD burners have been sold? Do they have DL capability? How much does DL BD-RE cost? How much does DL BD ROM cost?
post #526 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz6speed View Post

I also find it funny about the HD-DVD Addon talk. TalkStr8t, if you go through 90% of the threads about the Addon, they also own the A1! So they're essentially trying out whatever they can as an alternative to the horrific hardware that is the A1. Then they claim that every addon = new customer for discs, when clearly, its mostly the same small minute group of people buying the players in addition to the A1. And go to Frys in so cal, any of them. The HD-DVD Addons have been collecting dust there and the guy working at the department there said theres 0 interest in them, everyone asks about the Wii, and of course, the PS3.

Viva La Blu-Ray!

Would you please stop with the misinformation and the "collecting dust" talk? If you look add the add-on buyers poll here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/poll....ts&pollid=4036

It's pretty clear that the vast majority of the buyers do not also have an A1.
post #527 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Would you mind citing/ linking one of those reports, please?
They announced 90K in Japan and the lowest estimates for US launch were 125K.

Yes, I was talking about the US only. You've confirmed my number, and even dropped it by 25,000

As for the Xbox add-on, are you disagreeing with the 200,000 or the 120,000 - the stories were linked in another thread that I'm pretty sure you participated in.

Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talksr8t View Post

Blu-ray player sales have now permanently surpassed HD-DVD player sales!

Now how about providing evidence of your rather exhuberant signature?

And if fewer people use the PS3 for Bluray movies, it would be indicated by lower bluray movie disc sales, correct?

And movie sales are what matters to the studios, yes?
post #528 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...sftxbox25.html

Here is the interesting part ...

That sort of stuff is fixable to a large degree. What I want to know is what the picture quality is like with the 720p movies.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #529 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Wii DVD player planned

Of coiurse it's the Inquirer, nothing more than rumor and inuendo....

There are rumors that Wii can support 720p/1080i.

In terms of studio perception, that could be huge. I say that with a double dose of skepticism though. It's most probably BS.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #530 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

I did a search on the forum. Found no such well-documentation. So you will have to link for me. I find it hard to believe one CE had that much power over everyone else that they held their nose and let Toshiba dictate the forum's direction.

Here, here , many posts in the several pages following here , and external confirmation here and here. There are many more references, search for "DVD Forum", "Steering Committee", and "AOD" for pointers.
Quote:
First off, they did NOT state Xbox 360 sales in the middle of the month after the product was on sale for merely a couple of weeks. Trust me, I covered the launch. We didn't get sales numbers of the console for a good while. So to try and marginalize the add-on because Microsoft won't immediately give you sales numbers is a little below the proverbial belt.

Except in the midst of buying season if they're looking to build momentum they will surely take the opportunity to do so. That's very different from the standard reporting of sales numbers to meet fiduciary obligations.

Blu-ray Insider
post #531 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Accepted figures of 380K Xbox 360's sold last year from launch until the end of the year versus very, very conservative figures of 200K PS3's sold at launch (88K in Japan and 120K in the US) plus 100K/wk additional deliveries. Even if Sony only hits half that number they'll still easily pass 2006 Xbox 360 sales.
Because if Microsoft had sold anywhere near enough HD-DVD add-ons to compare with even a fraction of PS3 sales (or standalone HD-DVD players) they'd surely be publicizing the number to anyone who would listen. They've often stated Xbox 360 sales; why wouldn't they state add-on sales?

forgive my "potential ignorance" but did MS announce a 2mil launch figure just months before XBox 360's actual launch?
post #532 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who cares about burning anything with next gen drives when Hollywood won't let you burn anything? Have you seen ANY statistics that I have been posting about DVD recorders in north america/europe? DVD recording of video in NA/Europe is dead. Worse than dead. And that is before HD comes along and puts a stop to BD recording to disc completely.

There's far more to recording than recording Hollywood content. There's recording over the air content, there's recording camcorder-shot content, there's complilation of hours and hours of SD video, there's archival of non-video data. Are you claiming there's no value in recordable DVD, or that it has sufficient capacity? Did you make the same argument when recordable DVD first came out with regards to recordable CD?
Quote:
How many BD burners have been sold? Do they have DL capability? How much does DL BD-RE cost? How much does DL BD ROM cost?

Most of them do have DL capability. Of course costs are high, sales are currently miniscule, which is exactly how recordable CD and DVD started as well. Few who are knowledgeable deny, however, that BD is far more suited to recordability than HD-DVD.

Blu-ray Insider
post #533 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post

In terms of studio perception, that could be huge. I say that with a double dose of skepticism though. It's most probably BS.

If Ninendo comes out with add-on HD-DVD it's game over, Sony...Speculation, of course.
post #534 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But yes, big news.

What is the BIG news, exactly? That Panasonic talks up their own H.264 or that Sony keeps praising MPEG2? (That Eklund guy really needs to be replaced, btw.) Sorry, but I fail to see a) the news and b) the BIG news...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #535 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my 24 hours experience with this product, I can corroborate this completely...Better to stay local, with HD-DVD.

They'll probably work it out, increase # of servers, bandwidth etc... But I agree, I prefer the shiny disc (Blu-ray, in my case) in my hand (or rather in my player ). (Or I will, once I get the PS3...)

But the tides may be turning. Could we be seeing the beginning of the end for shiny discs?

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #536 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If Ninendo comes out with add-on HD-DVD it's game over, Sony...Speculation, of course.

Maybe I should just call you...

HD DVD, in glorious 480P? I think not...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #537 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's far more to recording than recording Hollywood content. There's recording over the air content, there's recording camcorder-shot content, there's complilation of hours and hours of SD video, there's archival of non-video data. Are you claiming there's no value in recordable DVD, or that it has sufficient capacity? Did you make the same argument when recordable DVD first came out with regards to recordable CD?

Yes I am claiming that, because North America does not know what they can or cannot record. You want me to quote stats? You won't be happy if I do.

Quote:
Most of them do have DL capability.

Good to know that most do. Is there a web site I can go to which tells me which do and which do not?

Quote:
Of course costs are high, sales are currently miniscule, which is exactly how recordable CD and DVD started as well. Few who are knowledgeable deny, however, that BD is far more suited to recordability than HD-DVD.

Good luck to you on the recordability front Talk; even if it suceeds, Sun fails (w/BD-J).
post #538 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:

MEEEOOOWWW!! How about some milk with that Sony? ...

LOL ... now here comes Toshiba .. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote:

"But ultimately, Bluray is all about high quality picture, high quality sound and that's what we're delivering now."[/b]

Funny how he seems to have NO CREDIBILITY even with the magazines now, not just A/V fans on this site...

I do not agree with you on that. He was just emphasizing that those initial launch PQ and sound were/are the best that Sony Pictures can do !
post #539 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsp View Post

Maybe I should just call you...

HD DVD, in glorious 480P? I think not...

Yes absolutely you should call me, if rumors that Wii can support 720p/1080i are correct... I would be amazed...
post #540 of 3949 Old 11-25-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Probably equally common if less talked about is just ignoring Hollywood's rules and the legal fine print and recording pirated or other content from whatever sources, as data with no copy protection. It is just the economical means to record DATA that I'm interested in. Once something is recorded as unencumbered data it's an easy matter to find ways to play it, archive it, move it, etc.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page