HiDef DVD News VII - News Only : AND WE MEAN IT: NEWS ONLY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a continuation of HiDef DVD News VI - A New Beginning???

12/23 Thread rule change: Please limit posts in this thread to a link to a news article and/or a partial quote with an optional line or two describing the article.

Take discussion of any article to a new thread, but you're welcome to link to the discussion thread. Quote the news post, type "discussion here:" and the thread link.

NOTE: Posting of sales figures is strongly discouraged and should go to the new BD Sales Figures Thread or the new HD-DVD Sales Figures Thread

This affects posts beginning with 12/23/06

please remember these forum rules

And now a word from our sponsor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

MEMBER ABUSE IS NOT WELCOME
>>> NOTICE <<<

This area, as well as all areas of AVS Forum is for the discussion, support, and debate on various areas of the audio video world. This is not the place to attack others or to jump into a thread just to make for issues.

The area of high def media and media players is currently a very hot topic. If you can not conduct yourself in an adult manor, AVS FORUM IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU TO POST.

As you enter into either the HD DVD or Blu-ray areas, you are to post thoughtfully on those topics and not come in just to attack someone outright or just to disrupt a chat that is happening. IT IS NOT WELCOME.

Attacking someone will result in the suspension of your posting rights on the site without warning. So, think before you type. Read what you wrote. Think about it some more. Then press submit.

We will not let the attacks continue. Remember, making a post to attack some back is just as bad as making the attack. You are also in the wrong. (Evil begets evil.)

To debate is one thing, to attack is another. PLEASE THINK.

And a word from our gracious Mod..
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Forum Rules: Read This Before You Post
Welcome to the AVS HDTV Forums:

special rules apply to posting here: please observe them:

-No bashing other members
-Please no fighting or trolling
-if you disagree with something posted: challenge the information; not the poster
-make sure your information is accurate; cite the facts on which you base your post: if it is your opinion, qualify it as such
-are you an industry insider? identify yourself as such and do not use AVS to bash your competition

AVS is a technical forum: we expect posters to maintain a high techical and ethical standard in your posts

AVS has Moderators who volunteer to enforce these rules: Moderators can edit or delete your post and even recommend the suspension of posters who continually violate AVS rules

If you see a post that violates rules or is spam, contains bashing, trolling, etc: please do not respond to it: use the 'report this post to a Moderator' button and let the mods handle it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that both PS3 and 360 add-ons have been released, time for a new thread.

Edit :

Some related review.

Burning Questions: PS3--The Blu-ray Movie Experience

Quote:

The short answer is yes. In my initial hands-on tests, the PS3's Blu-ray Disc playback was very good--even better than I'd anticipated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 428
regarding the lack of HDMI on XBox add-on. From my POV, it's a non issue. By the time ICT is switched on (approx 2010 or later), you're already buying new players anyway. At that time, qood quality standalone HD-DVD players will cost no more than $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

It may not be an issue for you but some people do hang on to their players for a long time.

Other than exceptions here and there, I honestly doubt that a player bought in 2006 will still be in operation when it reached 2010.

Four years is a very long time. None of my DVD players (more than a dozen) except for Panasonic DVD-A300 lasted longer than 3 years. None of my 5 LD players (except for Pioneer CLD-604) lasted longer than 3 years too.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
No super new news, but the Top 10 Amazon sales rankings for Blu-ray discs have been consistently up over the last 30 days.

The combined HD DVD sales ranking has been consistent as is still much higher than the Blu-ray sales rankings, but the Blu-ray trend has been definately upward.

Too early to see any PS3 impact

3rd chart down
http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #4 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 467
made a sticky

Thanks nataraj

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #5 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just returned from Tweeter, the guy told me that they've been selling the Panasonic players as fast as they can get them in. So-so on the Samsung though. He said he hasn't sold an HD DVD player since late summer. Not sure how true this is, but it doesn't matter either way. Either they are selling at the rate at which he says, OR the retailers are pushing BD at the expense of HD DVD.

I just get the sense that BD is going to win this thing based on CE support, Studio support, and retailer support, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Part of me wants one format, but the other part of me says that the "best product" should win, not the one the industry wants to win.
post #6 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony NEC Optiarc: Blue-ray Disc drive prices to drop 50% by 2008

Quote:

By 2008, prices for Blu-ray Disc (BD) drives will drop 50% from current levels amid aggressive development by various related brands and makers, according to Shuji Minami, general manager, product business group of Sony NEC Optiarc. Minami also said the maker is not ruling out seeking new partners in Taiwan or placing more orders with existing Taiwan-based partners.

Demand for BD drives are expected to be driven by full high-definition (HD) demand for 19-inch-and-above LCD monitors and the new Vista operating system (OS) from Microsoft in 2007, Minami indicated.

In addition, adoption rates for BD technology will be further driven by the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008, when demand for LCD and PDP (plasma display panel) TVs, along with high-density storage devices, will drive the market, Minami added.

Now I know this is supposed to be big news from the BD side, but by 2008, if BD didn't reduce drive costs by AT LEAST 50% then they will be crushed by Chinese made HD DVD drives.
post #7 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post

Part of me wants one format, but the other part of me says that the "best product" should win, not the one the industry wants to win.

So Which one is which? Pardon me, I've been sniffing cleaning products all afternoon, and I can't reason very well...
post #8 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Since it will be an inevitable win by BD in the eyes of some, I thought it interesting to look back to Churchill and what he said of another war:

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

"When I warned them that Britain would fight on alone, whatever they did, their Generals told their Prime Minister and his divided cabinet that in three weeks, England would have her neck wrung like a chicken - Some chicken! Some neck!"

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

That war went on another 3-4 years after he said these. BTW, we know it wasn't the "superior" side that won that war. Everyone take a deep breath!
post #9 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post

Now I know this is supposed to be big news from the BD side, but by 2008, if BD didn't reduce drive costs by AT LEAST 50% then they will be crushed by Chinese made HD DVD drives.

I take the article to be refering to PC drives. Which are burners for BD. This seems to be somewhat on track with Pioneer's comments. The SRP on the Sony is $750 and streets for $540 or less. Drop that in half.

Is there an announced HD DVD burner? I can't see ROM drives being "crush" level.

Gary

- Don't trust sigs
post #10 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post

Well that assumes the Chinese will have enough "in country technology" to make blue lasers at a cost well below the suppliers of BD drives.

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #11 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneL View Post

Since it will be an inevitable win by BD in the eyes of some, I thought it interesting to look back to Churchill and what he said of another war:

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

"When I warned them that Britain would fight on alone, whatever they did, their Generals told their Prime Minister and his divided cabinet that in three weeks, England would have her neck wrung like a chicken - Some chicken! Some neck!"

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

That war went on another 3-4 years after he said these. BTW, we know it wasn't the "superior" side that won that war. Everyone take a deep breath!

That is probably the best analogy of this format war I've read so far.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #12 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Through 11/3/06, the CEA is reporting that digital TVs have outsold analog TVs by a factor of 2:1. Pretty cool. Digital's 5 week moving average in 2006 is up some 430% over the same 5 week moving average in 2005.

SCEA is re-evaluating their numbers...the 400K PS3s noted for launch just this September for the NA debut has now been reinvisioned as only a "goal that we were shooting for" and the year end 1000K target is now also a target they are "shooting for"...this is Hirai talking, not some flacky. It will be a few days before they release actual figures--at this stage, they aren't 100% sure they even sold out on launch day.

The production to date has been 20% $499 and 80% $599. Shipping by boat takes 12-14 days, so they plan to air units to NA for the foreseeable future. They plan to do daily flights/shipments for the foreseeable future. Hirai specifically said they will *not* try to build up inventory, but rather ship daily direct to retail...they don't want retail to go dry.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #13 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post

I take the article to be refering to PC drives. Which are burners for BD. This seems to be somewhat on track with Pioneer's comments. The SRP on the Sony is $750 and streets for $540 or less. Drop that in half.

Is there an announced HD DVD burner? I can't see ROM drives being "crush" level.

So it means nothing..."Sony NEC Optiarc: Blue-ray Disc drive prices to drop 50% by 2008" is hereby dumped...
post #14 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

Through 11/3/06, the CEA is reporting that digital TVs have outsold analog TVs by a factor of 2:1. Pretty cool. Digital's 5 week moving average in 2006 is up some 430% over the same 5 week moving average in 2005.

SCEA is re-evaluating their numbers...the 400K PS3s noted for launch just this September for the NA debut has now been reinvisioned as only a "goal that we were shooting for" and the year end 1000K target is now also a target they are "shooting for"...this is Hirai talking, not some flacky. It will be a few days before they release actual figures--at this stage, they aren't 100% sure they even sold out on launch day.

The production to date has been 20% $499 and 80% $599. Shipping by boat takes 12-14 days, so they plan to air units to NA for the foreseeable future. They plan to do daily flights/shipments for the foreseeable future. Hirai specifically said they will *not* try to build up inventory, but rather ship daily direct to retail...they don't want retail to go dry.

I'm not sure you can even buy anything >27" that doesn't have a ATSC digital tuner in it now. My mother's TV quit working and all she watches a couple of game shows and one soap opera, so it was replaced with another 27" SDTV and it had a digital tuner. The shock was that it only cost $224 dollars..

b2b

A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #15 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

D'oh...good point, b2b. I forgot that pesky regulation!

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #16 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

B2B: maybe in the US, but here you can
post #17 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP View Post

B2B: maybe in the US, but here you can

Does Canada even have a date for analog TV shutdown ?

b2b

post #18 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez View Post

Well that assumes the Chinese will have enough "in country technology" to make blue lasers at a cost well below the suppliers of BD drives.

b2b

and please feel free to continue to undermine the Chinese's technological advancement
post #19 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Too early to see any PS3 impact

Oh ... I was going to say a day after PS3 release BD numbers actually went south

Movies in Top 10,000

11/16/2006 : 35
11/17/2006 : 33
11/18/2006 : 24

The trend is unmistakeable. BTW, for HD DVD ...

11/16/2006 : 98
11/17/2006 : 93
11/18/2006 : 95
post #20 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

made a sticky

Thanks nataraj

Great. Thanks.
post #21 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:

b2b

Main Land China has all the technology they need to produce almost any advanced CE technology device they want to and they already do so.

Whatever they may not have is easily gotten.

-Robert
post #22 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g55555sim View Post

and please feel free to continue to undermine the Chinese's technological advancement

I think b2b's point is that the most difficult component to make in all of these devices is the blue lasers. While there is a lot of work going on in this area, it doesn't seem that anyone has truly cracked the code on making these inexpensively at high volume. From what I've read the current approach is kind of a brute force attack at the problem. Make lots of material and some of it will be usable....throw away the rest.

The Chinese could get into the business of trying to make blue lasers as well, but there would be very heavy capital investment involved and the ramp up time to bring facilities on line would be significant. I think it's more likely that they'd look to source these components from somewhere else, at least until someone has figured out how to do this with better yields.
post #23 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

reposting this one as it came in right at the tail end of the last thread........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen
Blue laser shortfall cools PS3 debut

This isn't really new, we've all known it for some time, but you may want to have a look

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/...cleID=194400848

All HD-DVD and Blu-ray products except Sony's currently employ Nichia's laser diodes.

There were some posts previously on this thread saying that Nichia is responsible for 80% of the global blue laser production and that 100% of that was committed to Sony for PS3. This EE Times article seems to contradict that. I'm still not sure how much of the global supply comes from Nichia and how much of that is committed to manufacturers of HD-DVD products. But this is interesting information all the same.
post #24 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For pioneers of cutting edge technology, I think it stands true that it isn't a term usually synonymous with Chinese technology. As large scale manufacturers of existing technology, there is no doubt, as long as they have access to it. I think it is an aspect that the Japanese companies still have control over, both technologically and legally.
post #25 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Main Land China has all the technology they need to produce almost any advanced CE technology device they want to and they already do so.

Whatever they may not have is easily gotten.

-Robert

I'm sure that will be true for blue laser production someday. That was the point of my comment, "someday" is not "today".

b2b

post #26 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 06:12 PM

^ someday? sound familiar! A while ago, we said "someday" BD will come out with BD50 movies", "someday, BD PQ will be at par as HD DVD", "someday, the BD players will do BD Live", "someday, BD will sell more players than HD DVD". Come to think of it, the term "someday" is not "bad" at all. .. come on now, dont hate me please
post #27 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ someday? sound familiar! A while ago, we said "someday" BD will come out with BD50 movies", "someday, BD PQ will be at par as HD DVD", "someday, the BD players will do BD Live", "someday, BD will sell more players than HD DVD". Come to think of it, the term "someday" is not "bad" at all. .. come on now, dont hate me please

There is a difference. When that "someday" arrives for cheap Chinese blue diodes, why should it be exclusive to HD DVD?

Like you said, what is wrong with "someday"? I know, only when a HD DVD supporter talks about BD50.
post #28 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BD-50 - Check

BD PQ - Still hit or miss, Talladega Nights got 2 out of 5 for PQ from highdefdigest and this is the PS3 showcase disc. Isn't BD supposed to be better?

BD Live - Which player has BD Live?

More BD players than HD-DVD - Check. Let's see if they get used.
post #29 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does Canada even have a date for analog TV shutdown ?

Used to follow this sort of thing. Here's what I find in a letter from the spectrum regulator to the broadcast ("cultural": OMG, stay away from this one) regulator. Looks like a bureaucratic battle between them where the former is looking at the US and says, OK......

"Given the potential for alternative use of spectrum to be freed-up by the transition to DTV, Industry Canada is of the view, from the perspective of efficient and effective management of the radio spectrum, that serious consideration should be given to specifying a date for the shut down of OTA analogue television. Such a date could be closely aligned within a North American market with a view to ensuring that Canadians will be able to receive Canadian OTA DTV within a North American market time frame. This could also contribute to Canadian broadcasters maintaining their viewership, particularly in markets along the Canada/US border where American television stations are rapidly moving to DTV."

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter.../sf08702e.html

If anyone can update, FWIW
post #30 of 3949 Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

Only the studios releasing in both formats use VC-1 on BD (and only on some titles), the VC-1 encoded BD titles tend to score well for PQ. Talladega Nights, like all Sony pictures releases is encoded with Mpeg2. While some titles on Mpeg2 have managed to come close to VC-1, this wasn't one of them. Sony pictures seems to be stubornly sticking with Mpeg2.

Is there a player out there that supports BD Live?

Well here is the complete quote on the PQ.
Quote:

It doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with the source material, which looks as clean as a whistle. Grain is almost absent from the transfer, with solid blacks and consistent color saturation. I also noticed no chroma noise, compression artifacts or posterization. The film's color palette is quite bright and lively, with sun-drenched exteriors and a fine use of primary colors, in particular blues, reds and yellows. Fleshtones appear accurate, if a bit waxy.

Unfortunately, what 'Talladega Nights' suffers from is really awful contrast. I have no idea why it looks this way (and I didn't see it theatrically), but it is as if the entire image has been completely flattened out and darkened. There is zero "pop" to the presentation -- it's like watching the video through a pair of polarized sunglasses. As a result, depth and detail appear surreal and washed out, and colors are nowhere near as vibrant as they could have been. There is certainly none of the three-dimensionality I'm accustomed to with great high-def. It's hard to describe until you see it, but it is telling that the deleted scenes on this disc, which are also presented in full 1080p and 2.35:1 widescreen, look much better. It is doubly a shame, as Sony is bundling 'Talladega Nights' with the launch of its PlayStation 3 next-gen game console -- I can only hope there is just something wrong with my eyes and I'm the only one who finds 'Talladega Nights' this unwatchable.

No mention of MPEG2 problems, but one of "contrast". Plus the reviewer didn't see the theatrical presentation for comparison. It could be that it was just filmed that way.

b2b

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page