Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD [separate thread for Xbox/Add On & PS3] - Page 115 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > HDTV Software Media Discussion > Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD [separate thread for Xbox/Add On & PS3]

HDTV Software Media Discussion

rover2002's Avatar rover2002
11:46 PM Liked: 10
post #3421 of 4841
04-02-2007 | Posts: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

My pleasure. The timing has been good as I have had time to keep up. Will be able to do the same tomorrow but then on the plane to Japan and offline for a bit...

Hi Amirm,
If its a work trip to Japan could you find out from Tosh how one would get a copy of 'Biohazard', the HD-DVD that came with the 1st gen units? Its proving quite difficult trying to track one down!
Many Thanks,
Will
dustoff's Avatar dustoff
12:12 AM Liked: 10
post #3422 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 89
Amirm,

Not sure if you can answer this, but will the elite distribute simultaneous video from component and HDMI.

I currently distribute component thoughout my house and would hate to loose this funtionality...

DO
rdjam's Avatar rdjam
12:31 AM Liked: 13
post #3423 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 9,736
Quote:

WMA Pro *decoder* is in the current release. However, on the way out of the box, it gets converted to Dolby Digital hence the reason you see DD logo.

With the upcoming update, for HD DVD playback, you will be able to select WMA Pro and experience the native sound.

Hi Amir - I've just been reading this thread a bit more and couldn't help but catch some potential significance in this answer.

Does this mean that if the 360 Elite were to decode a TrueHD lossless soundtrack, that it could convert the lossless 5.1 audio to WMA Pro (lossless) and output this to a compatible AVR? In effect, would this mean we could actually get the lossless audio after all?
totalownership's Avatar totalownership
01:19 AM Liked: 186
post #3424 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 2,325
Hey amirm great job with getting replies to the masses even if some.... well you know.
I'm about to ask one of the "dumber" questions here but hey, why not take a shot right?
I have this model HDTV, SONY KDL-32S2010 , and I wanted to know if infact the HDMI will give me that much improvement over the VGA when the update comes out and , to add more "dumbness" , will that give me even more improvement over component.

As of now I have my 360 doing component and the comcast cable box doing hdmi with the vga actually open. I'm figuring that I can do better. As you guys have been working with sony models for specific issues , and considering that my model is relatively cheap (ain't no XBR high-falutin stuff, lol) I would hope that you guys actually had one on hand to use for testing. If so could I be so lucky to get that kind of info as the best way (without going over that point of diminishing returns) to get the signal from my 360 to the display.

Do you really see that much improvement from VGA to component with the Sony's, will the Elite really be that much better over the VGA via the Sony?
azyuma86's Avatar azyuma86
02:53 AM Liked: 10
post #3425 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 14
Thanks for answering the questions Amirm.

Just wondering if you've heard anything about what brand DVD drive the Elite will have?
Atar3on's Avatar Atar3on
02:55 AM Liked: 10
post #3426 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 4
Amirm,

Sorry to beat a dead and warn horse at this point, but the only reason I ask this is because you've posted responses to this question and later on in the thread contradicted what you had originally said.

One of the biggest questions is whether or not there will be new resolutions for VGA, more specifically 1440x900 and 1680x1050. In a few cases your response was suggesting that there would or might be something new as seen in this response -

Quote:

They tell me they have added other resolution settings. So maybe one of them is what you are interested in.

But later on your flat out state -

Quote:

No new resolutions.

I don't know the answer other than it probably increases our test time/resources given the larger permutations that must be looked at. I personally agree with the need to support the resolution of computer LCDs.

So, I guess I'm confused as to which it is, yes or no. Can you please clarify to set the record straight once and for all. I/we would REALLY appreciate it.
Torti's Avatar Torti
02:55 AM Liked: 10
post #3427 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

There are slight censorship cuts for the worldwide version of CR in UK and Germany. Except for the US which has 3 short edits for censorship, all other regions are getting the full un-cut version. The transfer quality will be the same since they were created at the same time.

Like CR, KFH should also have the same picture quality, regardless of version.

Are you sure abou the german release because the thetrical release and the DVD release are uncut and have the complete torture scene.
Neogumbercules's Avatar Neogumbercules
03:20 AM Liked: 10
post #3428 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atar3on View Post

Amirm,

Sorry to beat a dead and warn horse at this point, but the only reason I ask this is because you've posted responses to this question and later on in the thread contradicted what you had originally said.

One of the biggest questions is whether or not there will be new resolutions for VGA, more specifically 1440x900 and 1680x1050. In a few cases your response was suggesting that there would or might be something new as seen in this response -

But later on your flat out state - No new resolutions

So, I guess I'm confused as to which it is, yes or no. Can you please clarify to set the record straight once and for all. I/we would REALLY appreciate it.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure no means no in this case, unfortunately. It's pretty clear that no new resolutions will be added. However...

Amir, I'd like to point you in the direction of a thread on the Official Xbox 360 hardware forums. I can't post direct links yet do to my post count, but just go to the Hardware forums on the official site and look for a topic that has now exceeded 500 posts titled "Re: Need 16:10 Resolution Support... 1440x900... 1680x1050..." I was just wondering if maybe you or someone could step into that thread and finally set everyone straight. All the second guessing and begging/hoping in that thread has gone on long enough.
Seagoon's Avatar Seagoon
03:33 AM Liked: 10
post #3429 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 18
Quote:

No new resolutions.

I don't know the answer other than it probably increases our test time/resources given the larger permutations that must be looked at. I personally agree with the need to support the resolution of computer LCDs.

Amir:

In your opinion do you think the 360 will ever see support for 16:10 (1680x1050, 1440x900 etc.) resolutions?

Widescreen monitors seem as common as mud these days and it's disappointing to see this feature miss yet another update. It seems there is enough demand to warrant the time it would take to implement this feature.

Thanks for your time.
lffisher's Avatar lffisher
07:33 AM Liked: 10
post #3430 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 53
One thing I always thought we be nice is to have the 360 be a remote desktop client to my PC server that I have in another part of the house. If there was some way I could hook a USB keyboard/mouse to the Elite and use my Sony XBR3 as the monitor, that would be really cool.

Sometimes I'm watching TV and I want to send a quick email or want to check something on the internet... how nice would it be to use the 360 to do that instead of having to put another PC by the TV, or to go to my office upstairs.

Anyone else ever thought of this?

Thanks Amir, for the time you put into this forum... especially with all of the Elite questions you have been bombarded with this week.
KoRn's Avatar KoRn
08:26 AM Liked: 10
post #3431 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 1,785
I was going to ask him the same thing. So many people are screaming for those resolutions. Including myself. It really should be in this upcoming update. xbox.com forums has LOADS and LOADS of this request by different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atar3on View Post

Amirm,

But later on your flat out state -

kevink109's Avatar kevink109
09:07 AM Liked: 10
post #3432 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 361
Amir-

If possible- sent you a PM

Thanks Kevin
amirm's Avatar amirm
09:49 AM Liked: 547
post #3433 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 View Post

Amir-

If possible- sent you a PM

Thanks Kevin

Coming right back at you .
amirm's Avatar amirm
09:52 AM Liked: 547
post #3434 of 4841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post

Amir:

In your opinion do you think the 360 will ever see support for 16:10 (1680x1050, 1440x900 etc.) resolutions?

Widescreen monitors seem as common as mud these days and it's disappointing to see this feature miss yet another update. It seems there is enough demand to warrant the time it would take to implement this feature.

Thanks for your time.

I am hoping to convince them to do this for a/v applications. For gaming, it is harder because that impacts the ecosystem there and the graphics subsystem.

Would having this in video mode satisfy or is the request also for gaming?
Chevron07's Avatar Chevron07
09:55 AM Liked: 10
post #3435 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpopsicle View Post

Amir,

I am excited about managed copy. I am wondering why Microsoft doesn't maybe lead by example and implement a type of managed copy for Xbox 360.

I would love to have hard drive copies of my games so that I don't have to get up and swap discs for every game invite.

Quote:

Maybe if I ran the Xbox team, you would be able to do that. But I don't .

Amir,

Since you're bombarding the Xbox team with a bunch of other questions, if you haven't already, could you forward this one to them as well?

Even better, do you think an insider on the Xbox team would be willing to drop by in the Xbox area of this board and field some questions?

They did a such a great job making the controllers wireless with the response of a wired controller (even through walls) that a lot of us are physically disconnected from our games. The Xbox UI and Live would really pull together to make gaming on an Xbox the perfect experience if we could pre-load a handfull of games to the hard drive.

Thanks!
PARASITE's Avatar PARASITE
10:01 AM Liked: 10
post #3436 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 761
when the 360 upscales dvd's does it properly identify and use 2/3 film correction. Does it properly upscale to 1080x1920, or does it throw away half the lines like some televisions? the regular dvd playback on the 360 looks horrible to me, so I'm hoping the upscaled 1080p does the trick. .

Not to beat a dead horse but do you have an answer for this as well. Thank you for your honesty
Black Magic's Avatar Black Magic
10:02 AM Liked: 10
post #3437 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 289
Amir,

Will the WMA Pro encoder for the Xbox 360 encode to 5.1 or 7.1? It looks like Pioneer receivers only decode 5.1. Are there any WMA Pro 7.1 decoding receivers available now or in the near future?
price3's Avatar price3
10:14 AM Liked: 11
post #3438 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 1,181
Any AVS insider

Any chance of making an "Ask Amir XBOX questions" thread so the rest of us can expect this thread to be about HD media and technologies?
alfbinet's Avatar alfbinet
10:18 AM Liked: 10
post #3439 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 3,068
Samsung Universal Player in July?

To HD DVD and BD Insiders:

Is this true that Samsung will deliver a Universal Player for both formats in July or is this a Aprils Fools joke? From what I understand it will be HDi compliant so it would be able to display the HD DVD logo. Also, I understand that it is supposed to deliver 1080p/24 BD only but 1080p for both BD and HD DVD.

Are we being joshed?
Imeldhil's Avatar Imeldhil
10:19 AM Liked: 10
post #3440 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 311
Hello Amirm, first time poster, long time reader of the forums. My question, is simple. I use only optical cable to my xbox360 add-on. The upcoming update will allow me to listen the tacks that are beyond 600 kpbs range in dts 1.5 mbps (i.e. True HD tracks). How ever, Owning a 6.1 Yamaha receiver, I cannot get the signals to work as EX on DD . Will it be possible to get DTS ES discreet with the update? Meaning, if the new sounds "should" be on 7.1, shouldn't I get things at least as dolby digital ex, or with the dts, as DTS ES?

Second question is quick, I own a Samsung LCD TV, it's only HD ready, but I'm really happy with it. Anyway, I do have a VGA input, but when I use it with the Add-on, colors get really bad, and my tv doesn't allow to alter the settings of VGA. Detail is better, but color is... really bad. Will the update allow me to alter those settings from my xbox as if it were a PC? also, I have dvi input, would you recommend to use a vga-dvi convertor and use it in the meantime to correct this issue and keep the quality of vga??

btw, when will the update come out?!?!?!? is already April!!

Thank you so much for your time.
c3ham's Avatar c3ham
11:23 AM Liked: 10
post #3441 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 11
hi amirm

i was just wondering if the upcoming update will improve the standard DVD picture and sound quality.

thank u
paidgeek's Avatar paidgeek
11:23 AM Liked: 10
post #3442 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti View Post

Are you sure abou the german release because the thetrical release and the DVD release are uncut and have the complete torture scene.

There were a total of 5 brief scenes that were affected by censorship in the US. The torture scene must have passed muster for the UK/Germany version.
paidgeek's Avatar paidgeek
11:28 AM Liked: 10
post #3443 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by H9K_ View Post

Please dont treat us europeans any worse. We love pcm just as mutch as everyone else.

What timeframe do you expect to have the europe plans finalized?

Sony releases Curse of the Golden Flower soon. What position will the subtitles be on screen?

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I understand the appeal of LPCM worlwide, but as a practical matter, lossless coding will work best (and should sound slightly better) in the long run.

I checked yesterday and "Curse of the Golden Flower" was too far along for the dual-sub position feature. I am checking as to which title will be the first to offer this.
amirm's Avatar amirm
11:47 AM Liked: 547
post #3444 of 4841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imeldhil View Post

Hello Amirm, first time poster, long time reader of the forums. My question, is simple. I use only optical cable to my xbox360 add-on. The upcoming update will allow me to listen the tacks that are beyond 600 kpbs range in dts 1.5 mbps (i.e. True HD tracks). How ever, Owning a 6.1 Yamaha receiver, I cannot get the signals to work as EX on DD . Will it be possible to get DTS ES discreet with the update? Meaning, if the new sounds "should" be on 7.1, shouldn't I get things at least as dolby digital ex, or with the dts, as DTS ES?

The answer is no currently. But we can consider that in the future. As you know, there is very little activity these days beyond 5.1 encoding. So that would need to change to justify doing the extra work, paying higher royalties, etc.

Quote:
Second question is quick, I own a Samsung LCD TV, it's only HD ready, but I'm really happy with it. Anyway, I do have a VGA input, but when I use it with the Add-on, colors get really bad, and my tv doesn't allow to alter the settings of VGA. Detail is better, but color is... really bad. Will the update allow me to alter those settings from my xbox as if it were a PC? also, I have dvi input, would you recommend to use a vga-dvi convertor and use it in the meantime to correct this issue and keep the quality of vga??

A converter might work because on some TVs, they make different assumptions for the VGA input than digital (i.e. assuming VGA is always a PC with its video levels which are different than A/V format used in DVDs, HD DVDs, etc.).

Quote:
btw, when will the update come out?!?!?!? is already April!!

Thank you so much for your time.

Well, we said "early to mid spring," not April . We are getting close though. So you may want to wait for that update before spending money on adapters and such.
amirm's Avatar amirm
11:49 AM Liked: 547
post #3445 of 4841
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

Samsung Universal Player in July?

To HD DVD and BD Insiders:

Is this true that Samsung will deliver a Universal Player for both formats in July or is this a Aprils Fools joke? From what I understand it will be HDi compliant so it would be able to display the HD DVD logo. Also, I understand that it is supposed to deliver 1080p/24 BD only but 1080p for both BD and HD DVD.

Are we being joshed?

I can' t comment on anything specific regarding Samsung. I can say as I have in the past that there will be more companies beyond LG building dual format players. When and who they are I can't say.
amirm's Avatar amirm
11:55 AM Liked: 547
post #3446 of 4841
Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 View Post

Any AVS insider

Any chance of making an "Ask Amir XBOX questions" thread so the rest of us can expect this thread to be about HD media and technologies?

Please no . I will not be able to answer all Xbox questions I might get in such a thread.

What is being asked here is in the context of the A/V peformance of 360 which I think is appropriate given the level of interest and the fact that I only post in this thread.

I realize BD folks may be bored seeing all of these posts. But as is the case with PS3 questions, I think it is fair game here. Pun intended
amirm's Avatar amirm
11:56 AM Liked: 547
post #3447 of 4841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic View Post

Amir,

Will the WMA Pro encoder for the Xbox 360 encode to 5.1 or 7.1? It looks like Pioneer receivers only decode 5.1. Are there any WMA Pro 7.1 decoding receivers available now or in the near future?

It is 5.1. I don't know of any 7.1 systems other than using a PC. Alas, there is scant content in 7.1 so when and if demand picks up there, we can work with our hardware partners to support it.
Technicolor's Avatar Technicolor
12:02 PM Liked: 10
post #3448 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 1,021
Quote:

I can' t comment on anything specific regarding Samsung. I can say as I have in the past that there will be more companies beyond LG building dual format players. When and who they are I can't say.

Amir....

One thing I find very odd is that those universal players do not treat HD DVD the way they treat Blu-ray. LG's player, for example, seems not to support all HD DVD functionalities (as far as I've been reading).

Now comes the Samsung universal player who seems will NOT output 1080p from HD DVD and will only do that for Blu-ray. WHY? Isn't that ridiculous?

Ok, ok... an universal player is better than a BD-only player... but it looks like those are BD players with diminished HD DVD capabilities. And I'm afraid that will present a PR problem for HD DVD, since it will be perceived as an inferior format.

Get it?
PARASITE's Avatar PARASITE
12:14 PM Liked: 10
post #3449 of 4841
04-03-2007 | Posts: 761
Any chance we will see a 1080p/24 update to the xbox hd-dvd player?
amirm's Avatar amirm
12:17 PM Liked: 547
post #3450 of 4841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technicolor View Post

Amir....

One thing I find very odd is that those universal players do not treat HD DVD the way they treat Blu-ray. LG's player, for example, seems not to support all HD DVD functionalities (as far as I've been reading).

That is true and not a good thing. Fortunately, reviews and users alike have been vocal about HD DVD side working as it should. With future devices not being modified BD players, I hope this problem will become less of a factor in the future.

Quote:
Now comes the Samsung universal player who seems will NOT output 1080p from HD DVD and will only do that for Blu-ray. WHY? Isn't that ridiculous?

Agreed if true .

Quote:
Ok, ok... an universal player is better than a BD-only player... but it looks like those are BD players with diminished HD DVD capabilities. And I'm afraid that will present a PR problem for HD DVD, since it will be perceived as an inferior format.

Get it?

Actually, they represent a postive thing for us. You have to remember that the day before LG announced their dual format player, they were "BD exclusive." Now they are not, acknowledging the value of HD DVD in the marketplace. To the extent other BD exclusive CE companies share the same views, that would be even more positive for us. Clearly if BD is "winning," someone hasn't told them in the same meeting where that news is shared .

But yes, we like them to fix these deficiencies and as such, be able to sport an HD DVD logo on their product. They can only market such devices for so long without full support.

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Subscribe to this Thread