Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD [separate thread for Xbox/Add On & PS3] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

To be clear, HD DVD studios do attempt to test on as many players as they can get their hands on. It is just that in case of products which we have helped create, we also do testing. This double safety net should help reduce compatibility issues.

I really wish somebody would have tested the xbox HD-DVD addon before it got released. That might have saved us, the customers, the HUGE dissapointment about the broken sound (extrem dynamic compression) due to the bug in the DD+ decoder.

What brings me to the question: is there a date for a bugfix? Will it be fixed at all, or will just be DTS encoding added to the still broken DD+ decoding?

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

What is Bob Meridan's position with the company?

Owner
post #543 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blippy2005 View Post

Question for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Insiders,

I hope you may have an answer for this (It might have been asked already). Now that it's been a while with both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on the PC market, and now that the HP HD-DVD drive has been released and we can see there is an official supported solution for HD-DVD on PC, does anyone know how the various HD-DVD playback solutions (Cyberlink, Intervideo, Windows Vista etc) offer Dolby TrueHD sound/DTS-HD master for PC output? Standard sound cards such as the Audigy 2 and Xi-Fi have 3 analog stereo plug connectors that feed 5.1 and sometimes 7.1, 8.1 sets of speakers or amplifiers. They also have optical and coaxial digital outputs as well. Is there a solution for getting proper full Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD master for PC? Can the Creative Xi-Fi handle this or do they have a solution in the works? Or are we going to have to settle for Dolby Digital+ remixed for DTS output or some other solution.

As audio is mixed with secondary and UI audio, it's internally PCM. You want to come out of the soundcard as uncompressed, irrespective of how it's encoded.

Again, in the modern era, players output uncompressed audio, just like they've been doing uncompressed video all along.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

My compression blog
post #544 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

It is one of convenience. Unless you are telling me that you will buy some discs in both BD and SD, you are going to find situations where you want to watch the movie in a car (think Kid's programming). Resolution is not as much of a driver as much as portability of the content.

Shouldn't this be what managed copy is all about? You pay the premium for the original on HD, and through managed copy can watch the content you've paid for on portable devices which don't need such a high resolution copy, for which ICE would be a candidate in that arena... Not sure I'd want to trust HD discs in a car environment with children...
post #545 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This question is to Amir and Talk:

From your discussions with the studio heads, how much of an effect did the alleged HD-DVD hack have to do with no new studio support announcements for HD-DVD? There were several posters here over the past few months claiming that Lionsgate has all but gone neutral and was just waiting for CES to formally announce support and start punching out titles.. Yet, what we get from LG is a strong affirmation that they are loyal to BD. I really hope you could answer this question, as I am sure this issue must have come up in the discussions in one form or the other.

TIA.
post #546 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry I missed that point. To be absolutely clear, the Toshiba player only handles 24p, not 25p. So no one can speed up the video PAL-style, even if they wanted to (25p support comes later this year but even so, we think movies will continue to be encoded for 24p).

This is the first I have heard about this problem. If you can give me a link to the postings I will get it in front of the right people to investigate.

Here are the links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...38#post9186738
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=783777

Matt has tested it, and I have tested it against earlier sources. sound is definitely off.

Thanks for looking into it!

Ed
post #547 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

amir - do you think in the next 6-12 months certain studios might release HD content for 360 live market even if they don't support HD-DVD due to target demographic (ie. disney releasing hd cars for 360 would be an easy money grab)?

i know you can't release info for studios, but do you think HD-DVD/BRD politics (ignoring sony studio) will spill over to 360 market?

thanks!

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #548 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post

Shouldn't this be what managed copy is all about? You pay the premium for the original on HD, and through managed copy can watch the content you've paid for on portable devices which don't need such a high resolution copy, for which ICE would be a candidate in that arena...

Nice come back . Yes, that is what we wish to happen. But we want to make sure all avenues are open for doing this and not limit the portability which exists with DVDs today for ICE.

Quote:

Not sure I'd want to trust HD discs in a car environment with children...

Hence the reason you might want to adopt HD DVD instead of BD. (just a joke, please no big argument on this )

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #549 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

This question is to Amir and Talk:

From your discussions with the studio heads, how much of an effect did the alleged HD-DVD hack have to do with no new studio support announcements for HD-DVD? There were several posters here over the past few months claiming that Lionsgate has all but gone neutral and was just waiting for CES to formally announce support and start punching out titles.. Yet, what we get from LG is a strong affirmation that they are loyal to BD. I really hope you could answer this question, as I am sure this issue must have come up in the discussions in one form or the other.

TIA.

Fortunately, there was no effect. As you know the hack never really materialized. But if it had, the effect would not have been wrt to format war but potential chilling effect on releases for both. Of course, some studios are more open minded than others on this so it would not have been a wholesale effect.

I also like to compliment Andy Parsons of BDA for properly expressing this issue as one in the same for both formats and not try to make it a format issue, as many fans here tried to make it so .

As for studio's position with respect to format war, we guard such information with utmost respect so I can not share any details. Suffice it to say, HD DVD gets stronger everyday and others like LG will one day consider other options....

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #550 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchntr View Post

Here are the links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...38#post9186738

Matt has tested it, and I have tested it against earlier sources. sound is definitely off.

Thanks for looking into it!

Ed

Thanks Ed. Our team is on it already in France...

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #551 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch View Post

amir - do you think in the next 6-12 months certain studios might release HD content for 360 live market even if they don't support HD-DVD due to target demographic (ie. disney releasing hd cars for 360 would be an easy money grab)?

Yes, very much so. As you know, unlike optical formats, there is no war going on in the digital download (there is competition from Apple and such but not in the classical sense of HD DVD/BD). So you will definitely see content from blu-ray studios on 360 marketplace.

Quote:

i know you can't release info for studios, but do you think HD-DVD/BRD politics (ignoring sony studio) will spill over to 360 market?

thanks!

No, there is no spill over effect. As big companies, we sometimes take opposite positions but we still look for areas of joint benefit to both companies where possible. Good examples are Sony and Dell in PC business...

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #552 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This HD content in the marketplace will be at 720p, I presume? I can't imagine downloading a 1080p file for a 2 hour movie.
post #553 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, very much so. As you know, unlike optical formats, there is no war going on in the digital download (there is competition from Apple and such but not in the classical sense of HD DVD/BD). So you will definitely see content from blu-ray studios on 360 marketplace.

No, there is no spill over effect. As big companies, we sometimes take opposite positions but we still look for areas of joint benefit to both companies where possible. Good examples are Sony and Dell in PC business...

Thanks. This is great news... especially for those of us wanting to be neutral without investing heavily into Bluray (or HDDVD) hardware in 2007

QUESTION:

can and have you tried to work with studios to expand the 24 hour viewing to 48-hours?

i contacted "moviebeam" (HD ota rental) and they said their 24 hour restriction was a studio demand (odd since disney owns part of it).

problem is if you want to watch a movie over 2 nights (60 min one night, 70 min the next) that is two rentals unless you start LATE first night and EARLY the next night. sounds nit-picky but it's not.

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #554 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Amir-

First, thanks so much for all of the answers you've provided here - very useful.

I have a few studio related questions. I know you probably can't answer any of these, but I'm curious...

1) How do studio's decide what to bring out and what not to bring out? I can't imagine it's totally random or anything like that. There should be like a studio request line for this if it is totally random.

2) New Line committed to titles last year and again this year for HD-DVD. However, there haven't been any dates set at all. Will we actually see releases from New line in 2007? If so, do you think first half or second half? I'll be honest, I'm jonesing for Rush Hour I/II.

3) Dreamworks. There hasn't been a peep from these guys and they have amazing titles - Shrek, Madagascar, The Peacemaker, Gladiator, etc. Can you make any comment on what if anything they are planning on doing?

Thanks again,
Chris
post #555 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch View Post

QUESTION:

can and have you tried to work with studios to expand the 24 hour viewing to 48-hours?

i contacted "moviebeam" (HD ota rental) and they said their 24 hour restriction was a studio demand (odd since disney owns part of it).

problem is if you want to watch a movie over 2 nights (60 min one night, 70 min the next) that is two rentals unless you start LATE first night and EARLY the next night. sounds nit-picky but it's not.

I'll expand on this. If not 48 hours, can they at least make it 26 or 28 hours? I haven't used this service, but for the same reason stated. A person who leaves work at 5 and starts the movie the same time each night will span more than 24 hours. And it gets worse if they get a phone call or something the 2nd night that makes them pause it. Is there at least some kind of extra buffer over 24?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #556 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Hence the reason you might want to adopt HD DVD instead of BD. (just a joke, please no big argument on this )

Already have HD-DVD and BD... Even got the t-shirt for HD-DVD thanks to a couple of strange Americans pretending foggy Guildford is London...

Any chance of sharing some information as to whether any proposed format enhancements have already been tested on existing systems? I think such information is vital to avoid people wondering if existing players are likely to become obselete, a factor that hasn't really been a consideration thus far for HD-DVD, but raises it's ugly head with TL51.

Thanks, Ian.
post #557 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurus View Post

I really wish somebody would have tested the xbox HD-DVD addon before it got released. That might have saved us, the customers, the HUGE dissapointment about the broken sound (extrem dynamic compression) due to the bug in the DD+ decoder.

What brings me to the question: is there a date for a bugfix? Will it be fixed at all, or will just be DTS encoding added to the still broken DD+ decoding?

I too noticed the dull/compressed sound with DD+ soundtracks from my 360 add-on.

Amir, has this been acknowledged by Microsoft as a bug?

Also, Thanks to all of the 'insiders" for the time and effort on keeping us updated and answering questions. This thread has become a daily read for me.

Cheers,

Don
post #558 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48

Many are now openly saying yes, there is a problem. Some want to deny deny deny, but many of us can clearly hear the higher pitch to the sound and some of us have gone so far as to compare them to NTSC releases and this has proven we are right. There is something very very wrong with some of the Studio Canal releases. The soundtracks are pitched very high and do not sound normal. They sound like a PAL sped up soundtrack, even though they are 24p.

We cannot explain it. Amir, I hope that you can. No matter what, SOMETHING went wrong with these titles and future releases cannot suffer the same fate because otherwise they would be worthless.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #559 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I'll expand on this. If not 48 hours, can they at least make it 26 or 28 hours? I haven't used this service, but for the same reason stated. A person who leaves work at 5 and starts the movie the same time each night will span more than 24 hours. And it gets worse if they get a phone call or something the 2nd night that makes them pause it. Is there at least some kind of extra buffer over 24?

--Darin

i'll add my support for this request for additional time, although it is the same restriction i have on my cable company using their VOD/HDOD, etc.
post #560 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sadly this is the case.

Yes, I have communicated with both cjplay and both levels of management above him. I have explained the level of interest people have here in having him participate again and they all really appreciate this. They have said that they have forwarded my communication to their upper management.

I have offered to go all the way up to the head of Warner Home Video if necessary to get him back. But did not want to do so without their permission. They have said to wait for now. With the holidays over, I am pinging them to see what the status is.

BTW, I don't want to start another war here so please, let this comment remain but when I asked if anyone else was helping with this process, I was told no. So paidgeek, if you are supportive of getting cjplay back, a comment from Sony indicating that you have this opinion, will I am sure be greatly appreciated.

This was already done last week. I will follow-up when I get back from CES.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #561 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Well, Talk claims that is not the problem but a firmware bug in the players. If it is a firmware bug, then it is clear that the content was not tested on them.

Of course, you could be right that the player is not BD-J compliant and the bug is much more of an ugprade than a bug. But then we have to decide if we believe what Talk is telling us about the nature of the problem. Don't we?

I confirmed today, with my own work, that the Sony player is quite BD-J compatible. I read somewhere around the AVS that the problem was really an issue with the file structure on the disc. Any other insiders wish to comment on it's truthfulness?

Blu-ray Insider -- Compression and Authoring
post #562 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Amir,

I can confirm there is a "pitch" problem with the Studio Canal Rambo movies.

I noticed it the minute Rambo spoke in First Blood.

You can really hear it when Trautman talks because Crenna has a very disctinct voice that does not sound quiet right with the Studio Canal versions.
post #563 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Any update on what is going to happen with the LG universal player? Are they going to sell it as is without a HD DVD logo or are they going to try to add HDi to it?
post #564 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Any update on what is going to happen with the LG universal player? Are they going to sell it as is without a HD DVD logo or are they going to try to add HDi to it?

Are you planning on buying one Richard?

Regardless, my answer could not have been more clear as are DVD forum rules. If you don't pass HD DVD tests, you don't get the logo. And the tests include HDi. So short of getting an LG insider telling you otherwise, this product is not going to have a logo in my opinion.

LG has been in the press as saying they will build follow on products that are fully compliant. And of course, their PC solution already is. So yes, the situation will change in the future.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #565 of 4841 Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Williams View Post

I confirmed today, with my own work, that the Sony player is quite BD-J compatible. I read somewhere around the AVS that the problem was really an issue with the file structure on the disc. Any other insiders wish to comment on it's truthfulness?

A firmware update will be released in a few days to solve this. The disc is spec compliant as far we know and the player has a bug.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #566 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

@paidgeek:

now that sony has announced some of its upcoming 2007 releases, are there ay exciting details you can share with us regarding audio and/or extras that will be included?

tia

To be honest, extras don't excite me too much... but there will be more. Look for our first Java title in March, nothing special, just an experiment.

We will likely use Dolby Lossless in Europe this year. The PS3 can support it and other players will be coming this year with HDMI 1.3 and/or internal decoders.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #567 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

To be honest, extras don't excite me too much... but there will be more. Look for our first Java title in March, nothing special, just an experiment.

We will likely use Dolby Lossless in Europe this year. The PS3 can support it and other players will be coming this year with HDMI 1.3 and/or internal decoders.

Thanks. Any news on DTS-HD Master Audio support in players (including an upgrade for the PS3)?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #568 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM

Paidgeek, I´m european, and I´m very interested in knowing if the reason to use dolby lossless in Europe instead of PCM is to allow multiple lossless languages. I know you guys in the USA don´t care at all for dubs, but I´ll tell you that in Spain, for example, everything is dubbed and not having BOTH tracks lossless is going to be a cause for criticism (as there is already for the lack of interactive features on the KING KONG HD DVD because they fit 5 languages)
post #569 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 AM

paidgeek, I am also in Europe (Germany) and am disappointed that Sony BD has here only the native language i.e. German in PCM, not the original English soundtrack which I prefer. So I am all for using lossless on BOTH. If you have really no space, please use PCM only for the original English since dubs mostly have worse sound quality anyway.
post #570 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Amir,

I know it is completely out of your hands, but is there any indication that there will be a wave of title announcements for the HD-DVD side anytime soon?

We don't need all 300 titles, just a couple months of solid release dates would do fine.

Thanks.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page