Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD [separate thread for Xbox/Add On & PS3] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

No, please make your views known to BD equipment makers. They are the ones who left out features in the player. Warner is not to blame here as they are using advanaced features in HD DVD.

Over a million Blu-ray players fully support TrueHD, while an Xbox 360 HD DVD player owner gets no better sound from a TrueHD track than they would a DD track. Holding BD equipment makers responsible for Warner's decision not to include TrueHD support on Blu-ray releases is clearly misplaced blame.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Will this firmware update also fix problems with the BDP-S1 playing other titles like Speed Behind Enemy Lines and LXG as noted in the FAQ in the BD section of Sony web site?

The FAQ notes no such problems, it states "To enjoy the BD-J function in some discs, you may need to upgrade your player with the latest firmware." There are reports that these titles work just fine on the BDP-S1. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Blu-ray Insider
post #633 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

Do you believe any exec at any studio believes that Blu-ray's content protection mechanisms provide an increased margin of safety against compromise?

OK, now it is "any exec" at "any studio"? And some "increased margin" as opposed to curing the hack?

But no, I do not beleive the companies who developed the security architecture for BD (i.e. those are who members of both AACS and BDA) believe that BD+ provides any additional level of protection against the type of attack reported.

Quote:

If so, my response is correct, regardless of whether, in fact, those mechanisms do indeed provide any protection. If not then you're apparently stating that Fox has changed their position on the matter.

You are confusing what Fox wants out of BD+, and what this hack is all about.

Regardless, if your entire point is that you heard something from someone saying BD+ is good, and you have no way of proving the same yourself nor do you have access to specifications which allow you to have an informed opinion, then we can leave the matter as is and let folks judge the value of such statement.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #634 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

Any chance for WMA Pro out? The 360 menu has an option for it but it doesn't work.

Oh, hey, there's another optional feature on HD DVD (in addition to the mysterious Enhanced Video Support which Amir doesn't appear to be interested in explaining). Amir, do any HD DVD players support WMA Pro? Is it something studios might wish to use, and if so do you think consumers who have players which don't support it might feel misled regarding their ability to enjoy it?

Blu-ray Insider
post #635 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Over a million Blu-ray players fully support TrueHD, while an Xbox 360 HD DVD player owner gets no better sound from a TrueHD track than they would a DD track. Holding BD equipment makers responsible for Warner's decision not to include TrueHD support on Blu-ray releases is clearly misplaced blame.

Will you give me permission to forward your post to Warner? They deserve to respond to your accusation that it is their fault that this situation exist, and not the BDA for overriding their wishes to make these formats mandatory in that spec, as was voted by very same companies for HD DVD.

You asked for people to talk to Warner execs. Here is your chance .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #636 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

2. My understanding from talking to Dolby is that BD does NOT allow TrueHD 5.1 It only allows TrueHD for 7.1. If you want 5.1, you have to still encode in 7.1 with two dummy channels. If so, then you can't just use the 5.1 encode from HD DVD.

It sounds like you might be confusing DD+ with TrueHD, so could you please verify this one.

Also, even if Warner has a valid excuse for leaving TrueHD off on "Superman Returns" on BD, I think a valid question is why they didn't put an uncompressed PCM track on there. And argument that it was because of waste wouldn't be very valid since they should have had both the bitrate and space to put in on there and those things look like they went unused without it.

So, my question is why not an uncompressed PCM track when the space and bandwidth aren't going to be used otherwise? Is it a matter of cost? Wanting to keep a different balance between what the HD DVD provides to customers and what the BD provides to customers (which might be a reason to leave 24/48 uncompressed PCM off the BD to keep it from having superior audio even though it would fit just fine)? Something else?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #637 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Talk, I think you and I are abusing our privileges on this thread. The mods kindly keep the members from bickering and arguing with us. They however, give us the freedom to disagree at ease. While some of this is useful at times, the level of it since CES goes well beyond the spirit of why this thread was created -- namely, a nice and relaxed atmosphere to answer questions from non-insiders and not a forum to argue points left and right.

I think it is inappropriate for us to have the right to argue back and forth while keeping the forum members out of it. I certainly feel guilty every time I answer an argumentative post by you. There are plenty of other threads where food fights are tolerated but this one isn't it.

So I hope I have your support for going back to essentially answering questions from non-insiders in this thread and leave the arguments to other threads. And yes, I am as guilty as you are in this . But the two of us can fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #638 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Amir/Ben,

Any CES news regarding HD DVD authoring for the PC consumer/prosumer?
post #639 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The FAQ notes no such problems, it states "To enjoy the BD-J function in some discs, you may need to upgrade your player with the latest firmware." There are reports that these titles work just fine on the BDP-S1. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Apparently Sony does...

Sony Link

Sony eSupport Knowledge Base
Knowledge Article C444272

A particular Blu-ray Disc movie title will not play or an interactive game does not function properly.

These issues may occur on certain Blu-ray Disc (BD) movie titles with Java content. A firmware upgrade to address this is planned for the beginning of 2007. If you register the BD player at https://productregistration.sony.com, Sony will mail you the firmware upgrade when it becomes available.

NOTE: The following BD movie titles are known to exhibit these symptoms:

The Descent
Speed
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Behind Enemy Lines

Created: Tue Nov 21 15:47 2006 | Last Modified: Fri Dec 22 12:26 2006

Awfully silly of them to say there's a problem when there's no problem, right?

(mods, that counts as a question to an insider! )

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #640 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

Apparently Sony does...

Sony Link

Sony eSupport Knowledge Base
Knowledge Article C444272

A particular Blu-ray Disc movie title will not play or an interactive game does not function properly.

These issues may occur on certain Blu-ray Disc (BD) movie titles with Java content. A firmware upgrade to address this is planned for the beginning of 2007. If you register the BD player at https://productregistration.sony.com, Sony will mail you the firmware upgrade when it becomes available.

NOTE: The following BD movie titles are known to exhibit these symptoms:

The Descent
Speed
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Behind Enemy Lines

Created: Tue Nov 21 15:47 2006 | Last Modified: Fri Dec 22 12:26 2006

Awfully silly of them to say there's a problem when there's no problem, right?

(mods, that counts as a question to an insider! )

We really need to have an honorary Insider title we can bestow on some people who know more than we do at times

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #641 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Oh, hey, there's another optional feature on HD DVD (in addition to the mysterious Enhanced Video Support which Amir doesn't appear to be interested in explaining). Amir, do any HD DVD players support WMA Pro? Is it something studios might wish to use, and if so do you think consumers who have players which don't support it might feel misled regarding their ability to enjoy it?

Does HD DVD support WMA Pro?

The original poster is talking about a Xbox 360 feature. Currently the 360 re-encodes everything to Dolby Digital, we all know that a DTS upgrade is on the way. The 360 could also out put WMA Pro.

I would really appreciate if insiders could comment on the fidelity of the 360's WMA Pro compared to Dolby Digital and DTS.
post #642 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will you give me permission to forward your post to Warner? They deserve to respond to your accusation that it is their fault that this situation exist, and not the BDA for overriding their wishes to make these formats mandatory in that spec, as was voted by very same companies for HD DVD.

I did not say it is their fault that some Blu-ray players don't support TrueHD, that is how you have spun what I said. I said Warner is solely responsible for choosing not to put a TrueHD soundtrack on their Blu-ray titles. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of Blu-ray players (a far greater number than total HD DVD players) can fully support TrueHD. I stand by this response, as well as my advice that if people are displeased with Warner's strategy two ways to register that displeasure are to contact Warner, or don't buy the titles.
Quote:

You asked for people to talk to Warner execs. Here is your chance

I have that chance on a regular basis at BDA meetings. Nonetheless, I give you full permission to forward this post, since it accurately reflects my sentiments in proper context. Of course, you don't require my permission to forward whatever you like, but it would be dishonest of you to forward my posts out of context. I would also recommend you mention to them that their presence here once again to respond to such customer concerns would be welcome.

Blu-ray Insider
post #643 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have not personally experienced problems with the afore-mentioned titles because I've held off purchasing them due to reading about problems in the BD Players and Software threads.

As for evidence of problems reported by Sony for these titles...Yes, as as I previously mentioned there is a FAQ on Sony's web site. Here is a link to it....
http://www.iq.sony.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...ref(QB):ord(1)

Its a different FAQ than the one you say "notes no such problems".

Edit: amillians included the text from the link in his post above.

I'm just trying to determine if the firmware fix mentioned by the Sony Insider applies to these additional titles as well as to The Descent as such a fix would boost my confidence in the Sony DBP-S1 (which I'm currently considering returning due to these no-play issues).
post #644 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it is inappropriate for us to have the right to argue back and forth while keeping the forum members out of it. I certainly feel guilty every time I answer an argumentative post by you. So I hope I have your support for going back to essentially answering questions from non-insiders in this thread and leave the arguments to other threads.

Sure, with the caveat that I will continue to ask you questions here where it is clearly of general interest to others than myself, and would expect that you may well do the same.

For instance, I've not seen a response to this question regarding what Enhanced Video format is, whether it's supported in any current HD DVD players, and whether any studios might choose to support it? Several posters here have indicated a desire for full disclosure as to features in the respective format specs which might be optional. While the optionality of DTS-HD MA decoding support is quite well-known, the mere existence of Enhanced Video seems to be a well-kept secret, let alone what it does and whether a consumer ought factor in support for this feature in any purchase decision.

Blu-ray Insider
post #645 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=amillians]Apparently Sony does...
Quote:

Fair enough, there are apparently issues with these titles. Nonetheless, this doesn't indicate no BD-J support, just that certain BD-J features may not work properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

I'm just trying to determine if the firmware fix mentioned by the Sony Insider applies to these additional titles as well as to The Descent as such a fix would boost my confidence in the Sony DBP-S1 (which I'm currently considering returning due to these no-play issues).

I believe The Descent is the only title which simply doesn't play. The other titles apparently play, but it may be that certain bonus content doesn't work. I think it is almost a certainty that an upcoming firmware update will remedy any known issues.

Blu-ray Insider
post #646 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Talk,

As a consumer of BOTH Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, I wanted to point out that your oft times "belligerent" tone has really turned me off to your position. While I am certain that there is valuable content which you would like to disseminate on these boards, using terms such as "dishonest" and "blame" and the accusatory tone you take does not succeed in convincing me of your point.

After all, these are ENTERTAINMENT devices!

I would please request (my question here) that everyone begin to talk ONLY about the benefits of their position WITHOUT having to resort to slamming the other system. In the end, the consumer can only win if they have proper information. Putting your "emotional foot in your mouth" doesn't help anyone.

Thank you for listening.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #647 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Are you planning on buying one Richard?

Not really, but I believe that a lot of people are interested in the LG universal player if only because it will be the first universal player released.

Quote:

Regardless, my answer could not have been more clear as are DVD forum rules. If you don't pass HD DVD tests, you don't get the logo. And the tests include HDi. So short of getting an LG insider telling you otherwise, this product is not going to have a logo in my opinion.

Just curious but how did LG manage to make a universal player without any of the HD DVD companies knowing that they didn't plan to support HDi? Also if the universal player ships without either HDi support or a HD DVD logo do any of the HD DVD companies plan legal action against LG over this?

Quote:

You asked for people to talk to Warner execs. Here is your chance .

Amir, if you really believe that people have the right to complain to Warner about this issue why not give us all the opportunity to do that by posting the email address of that Warner executive you were thinking of forwarding Talkstr8t's post to? I would love to tell Warner what I think about their policy towards not having Dolby TrueHD audio tracks on their Blu-ray movies and would appreciate it if you were willing to help. In fact I have the hunch that many Blu-ray supporters would appreciate the ability to talk to Warner about this issue.
post #648 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM

I really appreciate the many instances in this thread where insiders have answered our questions and provided greater clarity.

That said, I'm getting tired of seeing this thread cluttered by fanboys' gotcha questions: "Format1 does this great thing. I think Format2 is inferior because it lacks that great thing. Hey Format2 insider, am I right?"

And by insiders when they bicker and disrespect each other. Points to one who called for a truce, but points taken away when he broke that truce 3 posts later.

I'd like to see this thread stay much closer to its original intent: to clarify all this complex technology and to help us understand how and why particular technology and product decisions are made.

How about questions and answers about how BD and HD DVD work, and not whether either will succeed, fail, or dominate? How about questions and answers about codecs and studios and titles and their features, and not Amazon/NPD/WSJ estimates or projections of sales? And how about avoiding, altogether, requests from each side that the other hold a press conference in prime time to own up to its format's deficiencies?

[Mandatory question:] Mods & insiders, could you support the approach I've described? Everyone else, I won't pose a question for you to answer, but request that you help keep this conversation to the point and win your battles somewhere else.
post #649 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

I would please request (my question here) that everyone begin to talk ONLY about the benefits of their position WITHOUT having to resort to slamming the other system. In the end, the consumer can only win if they have proper information. Putting your "emotional foot in your mouth" doesn't help anyone.

Thank you for listening.

I made a similar request of a different insider today (to talk about his own products, not his opponents) and my post was reported and deleted...so good luck with this as I think it would be great for the forum if people talked SOLEY about their own products and not the competition's.
post #650 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Just curious but how did LG manage to make a universal player without any of the HD DVD companies knowing that they didn't plan to support HDi?

I am not here to represent all DVD Forum member companies . The key is that until CES, folks did not know LG was going to ship the product before it was finished. You don't stop a chef in the middle of cooking and ask them if they are going to serve the food raw . You have an expectation that they are going to finish the cooking and not serve it still moving on your plate.

Quote:
Also if the universal player ships without either HDi support or a HD DVD logo do any of the HD DVD companies plan legal action against LG over this?

Sigh. I have already answered this question so many times. So yet again, no, no one can sue another company unless they have a contract with them that is breached. We have none with LG so we have no ground to sue them. I suspect neither do the other DVD Forum members.

Quote:
Amir, if you really believe that people have the right to complain to Warner about this issue why not give us all the opportunity to do that by posting the email address of that Warner executive you were thinking of forwarding Talkstr8t's post to?

You are not serious are you? I am not going to provide the email address of an executive here to be spammed by the world.

Quote:
I would love to tell Warner what I think about their policy towards not having Dolby TrueHD audio tracks on their Blu-ray movies and would appreciate it if you were willing to help. In fact I have the hunch that many Blu-ray supporters would appreciate the ability to talk to Warner about this issue.

Best way to have reached out to Warner would have been to keep cjplay here. If you genuinely want to provide feedback to Warner, I suggest creating a petition on another thread asking for return of cjplay, and I will happily forward that to Warner executives.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #651 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

I'd like to see this thread stay much closer to its original intent: to clarify all this complex technology and to help us understand how and why particular technology and product decisions are made.

[Mandatory question:] Mods & insiders, could you support the approach I've described?

Supported 1000%.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #652 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Mods - please allow me to express my 100% support for this post.
Quote:

I really appreciate the many instances in this thread where insiders have answered our questions and provided greater clarity.

That said, I'm getting tired of seeing this thread cluttered by fanboys' gotcha questions: "Format1 does this great thing. I think Format2 is inferior because it lacks that great thing. Hey Format2 insider, am I right?"

And by insiders when they bicker and disrespect each other. Points to one who called for a truce, but points taken away when he broke that truce 3 posts later.

How about questions and answers about how BD and HD DVD work, and not whether either will succeed, fail, or dominate? How about questions and answers about codecs and studios and titles and their features, and not Amazon/NPD/WSJ estimates or projections of sales? And how about avoiding, altogether, requests from each side that the other hold a press conference in prime time to own up to its format's deficiencies?

[Mandatory question:] Mods & insiders, could you support the approach I've described? Everyone else, I won't pose a question for you to answer, but request that you help keep this conversation to the point and win your battles somewhere else.

post #653 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

You are not serious are you? I am not going to provide the email address of an executive here to be spammed by the world.

Okay, and looking at it that way I can understand. Still do you know of any official Warner email address that would allow Blu-ray supporters to discuss with Warner the issue of Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray?

Quote:

Best way to have reached out to Warner would have been to keep cjplay here. If you genuinely want to provide feedback to Warner, I suggest creating a petition on another thread asking for return of cjplay, and I will happily forward that to Warner executives.

I would like CJPlay to post here again, but wouldn't it actually make more sense for Blu-ray supporters to create a petition thread asking Warner for Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray movies and for that to be forwarded to Warner executives?
post #654 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amir, Ben, Paidgeek, Talk and others:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...33#post9435733

I'm hoping to have your endorsement in the above thread asking Warner for CJ's return to the community.

Amir, hopefully you can then pass it onto Warner and we can get him back here.

Thanks,
Robert.
post #655 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

How do we get the firmware? Will we be able to download and burn it or do we need to order it, or will it be sent automatically to registered owners?

I cannot speak for Sony Electronics, but I expect them to allow the user to download and burn and update disc or to send one to you if you choose to register with Sony.

For our test players, we perform updates with DVD-R.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #656 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

To all insiders and studio reps:

16/48 lossless/LPCM is not good enough. We want 20/48 or 24/48 minimum when higher-than-16-bit LPCM masters exist.

downconverting a 24/96 master to 16/48 for "lossless" encoding isn't a "lossless" representation of that master. It may avoid the additional artifacts of psychoacoutic masking filters, but a 16/48 dither from a 24/96 master is not its equal, and is not adequate when bit-space and bandwith would have allowed the full-resolution original.

Duly noted. We appreciate that there is a performance difference between 16 and 20 bit.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #657 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:

This is a huge problem as of late.

The push poll type technique of getting in jabs, etc when there is no real question being asked. Mods are smart enough to see this and should delete those posts when they are made.
post #658 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:

For instance, I've not seen a response to this question regarding what Enhanced Video format is, whether it's supported in any current HD DVD players, and whether any studios might choose to support it? Several posters here have indicated a desire for full disclosure as to features in the respective format specs which might be optional. While the optionality of DTS-HD MA decoding support is quite well-known, the mere existence of Enhanced Video seems to be a well-kept secret, let alone what it does and whether a consumer ought factor in support for this feature in any purchase decision.

Enhanced Video Format is an optional higher bandwidth secondary video stream. Since it's optional, I expect it never to be used since standard secondary video performs admirably for the purpose (which is providing video to place in a PiP window). I'm not sure what the point of HD PiP is, except for the edge case of switching the PiP and main window and it seems an awful waste of bandwidth for something like that, and MI3 does it today anyway without HD PiP.

I've never understood the reason for optional features in a format spec myself, I've normally found that the words "MAY" in a spec generally mean "One of the partners insisted that be available or they'll throw their toys, so we made it optional"

There are numerous examples of this in both specs

The XBox addon (probably the biggest selling HD DVD player currently) can support HD PiP in the same way the PS3 supports BD-Live, ie, the hardware doesn't rule it out, but it might require a software update. I would say the HD-A1 is also technically capable since it's secondary decoder is in CPU too. No idea about the NEC chip in the HD-A2, and the Broadcom 7440 I think supports two HD streams simultaneously, so no problems there.
post #659 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I am not Ben, but will answer . For some strange reason, no one from BDA consulted with us when creating the profile for VC-1 on BD! So they restricted the number of B frames the stream can have as compared to HD DVD.

We have already had one movie/segment that had to be re-encoded at higher bitrate and fewer B frames to get the equiv. quality. on BD. So compressionists are trying to be careful as to avoid this situation.

Does this mean that Universal being HD-DVD only at this point may have some room to make slightly more efficient encodes? Or do they also adhere to the lowest common denominator? (I guess you might not be able to answer that last question but well, just in case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

For our test players, we perform updates with DVD-R.

Shouldn't that be on DVD+R ? (J/K)

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
post #660 of 4841 Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumi View Post

For their DVD releases here in Europe, the Studios manufacture a certain number of SKUs in order to cover the different spoken languages and hence the territories.

From my understanding, the number of SKUs which are required depend of a number of factors, but these are the main ones:
- available disk space after taking into account the main program + English track and supplements,
- a certain logical pattern to regroup the same countries with a SKU whereas possible,
- whether or not a localized DTS track is a selling point (Fox, BVHE...),
- the presence of customized supplements or whether they must be dubbed (like Disney),
- and finally, the UK and Germany have specific censorship requirements (unless their laws recently changed), and some of their DVDs might be cut or doctored while they're released uncut in the rest of continental Europe.

Can we assume that the same reasoning will be applied to BD, and that a BD-50 could actually reduce the number of SKUs that are needed for most releases?

Paidgeek, I also have a followup question. There are some movies where you don't have selected territories (like Underworld Evolution, RE2 or Silent Hill). Can we assume that the video encode might be the same, as is sometimes the case for DLTs?

You seem to have a good grasp of how the different SKU's are determined. We will likely continue with a similar pattern for BD, however with BD50 we have fewer restrictions when compared with DVD9.

I'm sorry but I don't precisely understand your last question. If you are asking about new video encodes, we will always try to use the the same encode as North America so long as no censorship issues exist.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page