Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD [separate thread for Xbox/Add On & PS3] - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amir and Talkstr8t,

Questions for both of you about the *-9 formats:

Both - are each of the HD and BD-9 formats physically identical to their DVD-9 counterparts? I.e. could you, essentially, take a .iso DVD-9 image (or whatever input media they require) that was logically formatted as a H/BD-9 to a replicator and have them stamp out discs for you w/o any other special equipment?

(I know I'm skipping several steps in the replication process, but you understand the root of my question.)

Talk, is ROMmark something that's physically or logically on the disc, and is it required for BD-9? Does this pose a problem for BD-9 replication on an otherwise ordinary DVD line?

Amir, given a fairly clean 1080p24 (say, digitial camera) source and a modest (single) 448 or 640k regular DD track, how long of a feature would you expect to be able to fit on a HD-9 (or BD-9) via VC-1?

Thanks!

-John Williams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

Can you provide an example of a benefit that psuedo-PiP offers that real PiP does not?

Sure. Using "pseudo-PiP" all audio would be primary, so you could decode advanced audio in your receiver rather than on your player. Or "pseudo-PiP" would let you arbitrarily blend the two (or more) video streams, as mentioned in this post from Keith.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #1353 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

Why would authoring have anything to do with it?

Most titles are authored with the PIP at a fixed size today. So taking PIP to full screen would require the content authors to add that as a mode for the disc.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

My compression blog
post #1354 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

Both - are each of the HD and BD-9 formats physically identical to their DVD-9 counterparts? I.e. could you, essentially, take a .iso DVD-9 image (or whatever input media they require) that was logically formatted as a H/BD-9 to a replicator and have them stamp out discs for you w/o any other special equipment?

As far as I know, yes.
Quote:
Talk, is ROMmark something that's physically or logically on the disc, and is it required for BD-9? Does this pose a problem for BD-9 replication on an otherwise ordinary DVD line?

I'm not sure what information about ROMmark is public, so I'll need to refrain from commenting. If anyone can point to publicly available documents which answer this, feel free.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #1355 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Above all, people should be incredibly thankful that the studio with the most content is publishing in BD in addition to HD DVD. Hammering on them for not doing even more, is not a helpful thing if you want more of their support on BD .

If BD folks want to be unhappy, it should be about how much quality is left on the table by all of these MPEG-2 encodes. After all, if you believe VC-1 should be used at higher rates still, then why not cry about MPEG-2? We have people defending Sony's choice here, but all of a sudden, we should come down hard on Warner?

I guarantee you that we can get more quality by having BD studios switch from MPEG-2 to advanced codecs than we can get by pushing the VC-1 data rate above HD DVD. So direct your energy for where it matters the most. Don't go making Sony feel good by doing 2-day MPEG-2 encodes and then chastise the one studio which is doing more good to BD than just about anyone. If Warner had not pushed for VC-1 in BD, we may still be sitting here with just about every BD content in MPEG-2. Think about that for a moment before throwing mud at Warner.

Amir, your guarantee does not make sense based on titles that use both codecs in the market. I respect that you are passionate about VC-1, but continuing to be so adamant regardless of observable results leads me to think this is a religious crusade rather than an objective pursuit for the best possible picture quality.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #1356 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Question for Paidgeek on the new Sony AVC encoder.

Does the encoder support the CABAC entropy compression option of AVC ? If it does, is the option being used or planned to be used for titles ??

If you are using it (CABAC) I would be very interested on your opinion as to how it effects encode times and if the compression results are worth the effort and time.

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #1357 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
paidgeek,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm wondering about Borat. Amazon lists it for sale on Blu-ray and coming on 3/6/07, but the price and the fact that somebody said that the code for it was a UMD and not a BD make me think that it might be a mistake. Do you have information about whether Borat is getting released on Blu-ray on March 6th or not?

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #1358 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guarantee you that we can get more quality by having BD studios switch from MPEG-2 to advanced codecs than we can get by pushing the VC-1 data rate above HD DVD.

Can you comment on why the only Disney VC-1 encode so far is at greater bitrate than HD DVD?

They had a choice of bitrate and elected to use one that pushed them over the BD25 limit - one would think that this would increase the replication costs, based on your claims of the expense of BD50 replication. So they must have had good reason to make the bitrate so high?
post #1359 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Amir,

I am sure you are tired of hearing it, but Universal needs to make some significant software announcements VERY soon in order to pacify some of the hardcore HD-DVD supporters. At the moment, the top two or three threads in the HD section relate to the lack of new titles. Even though it has been made clear that there are 300-600 titles coming, the lack of hard release dates is troubling to many who are easily influenced by marketing and press releases.

Universal, I'm sure is "taking the high road" and only making announcements of concrete and relevant data as opposed to the BD studios, but the perception of SOME in the community is that Universal is not taking the format war seriously enough. They can make the argument that January is slow for sales, so the release dates are being saved for later months, but were only talking about a consumer base of less than 200,000. (to whom, this model does not apply)

I know you mentioned in an earlier thread that you had already expressed these concerns to the studio, but I think the situation is more in need of attention than they realize. If you know of a phone number or email address of some marketing people that we could contact, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #1360 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

Not to mention The Interpreter from Universal...

That was an old title - it just was released a long time after it was encoded.

Quote:

For the pursuit for the best quality you only have to look at the Chronos thread...

Did you catch the part where he's sending us his source media, and we're going to show him what we can do with the current VC-1 encoder? The stuff he saw before wasn't up to snuff.

My compression blog
post #1361 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

How about the Weinstein releases? Clerks II seems to have done very good business and Slevin is currently top on the Amazon HD DVD sales. Both very recent releases and follow on from previous AVC releases from this studio...

It will indeed be interesting to see what comes of Chronos. How long do you think Microsoft will have to hand hold every VC-1 encode to ensure that the maximum quality is achieved on a per title basis?
post #1362 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez View Post

Question for Paidgeek on the new Sony AVC encoder.

Does the encoder support the CABAC entropy compression option of AVC ? If it does, is the option being used or planned to be used for titles ??

If you are using it (CABAC) I would be very interested on your opinion as to how it effects encode times and if the compression results are worth the effort and time.

b2b

The Sony encoder does support CABAC, and we use it as a rule. We have not run tests without it, since we consider this the best option for the greatest reduction if file size.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #1363 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

paidgeek,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm wondering about Borat. Amazon lists it for sale on Blu-ray and coming on 3/6/07, but the price and the fact that somebody said that the code for it was a UMD and not a BD make me think that it might be a mistake. Do you have information about whether Borat is getting released on Blu-ray on March 6th or not?

Thanks,
Darin

Darin,

Sorry, it's not our title (Fox) so I don't have any information on this one.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #1364 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM

dear amirm,

I am a loyal and avid hd dvd supporter, but latly blu-ray movie sales have started to surpass that of hd dvds and i belive that is due to the fact that blu-ray advertising on t.v. and in electronics stores is more prevalent, what is the hd dvd group planning to counter this?
post #1365 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:

You know, I would just be guessing here. Have you cleaned KK disc? I would call MS customer service and see if they can send you another copy of the movie to try. The drive seems OK if the other movies play back well.

Amirm, I tried call 1-800-4MY-Xbox spoke to a nice rep named Ryan but, he couldn't help he said I would have to go back to the retailer. Well, my problem with that is my wife got it as a Christmas gift through Amazon since she couldn't find the drive in stores anywhere. I don't want to send the drive back because I think the drive is fine I'm testing all my movies Apollo 13 is the last one to test! I've tested Batman Begins, Superman Returns (a few times) and Terminator 3 (a few times). Apollo 13 is the last one to test if it plays all the way through the movie then I would have to go with it's the King Kong HD-DVD. I can get the HD-DVD resurfaced a friend does this at his business do you think that would be a good idea? I was a little worried about trying this on HD-DVD's... (It's water base resurfacing machine and it works well.) I don't think Amazon will replace King Kong without the drive. So, I might be screwed out of King Kong and that sucks.
post #1366 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

Sure. Using "pseudo-PiP" all audio would be primary, so you could decode advanced audio in your receiver rather than on your player. Or "pseudo-PiP" would let you arbitrarily blend the two (or more) video streams, as mentioned in this post from Keith.

Follow up questions, if I may:

1) I don't understand how the audio is an advantage. With PCM touted is a mandated lossless solution for BR, isn't the expectation that you receiver is going to be able to accpet PCM anyway, and thus there is no advantage to, 1))Playing back native PCM, 2) decoding an advanced codec to PCM in the deck, or 3) decoding an advanced codec to PCM in the AVR?

2) If the goal is to do something arbitrary with the video stream (i.e. some blending or other effect), what is the distinction between this being PiP, as opposed to a semaless branch? IOW: at what point is it PiP and at what point is it an alternate video stream that has been branched to?

-Steve
post #1367 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

How long do you think Microsoft will have to hand hold every VC-1 encode to ensure that the maximum quality is achieved on a per title basis?

I'd say about negative nine months.

There's some ramp-up for each new studio, but at this point I'd say we've touched well less than half of the titles out there before they hit market.

My compression blog
post #1368 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFER View Post

Amirm, I tried call 1-800-4MY-Xbox spoke to a nice rep named Ryan but, he couldn't help he said I would have to go back to the retailer. Well, my problem with that is my wife got it as a Christmas gift through Amazon since she couldn't find the drive in stores anywhere. I don't want to send the drive back because I think the drive is fine I'm testing all my movies Apollo 13 is the last one to test! I've tested Batman Begins, Superman Returns (a few times) and Terminator 3 (a few times). Apollo 13 is the last one to test if it plays all the way through the movie then I would have to go with it's the King Kong HD-DVD. I can get the HD-DVD resurfaced a friend does this at his business do you think that would be a good idea? I was a little worried about trying this on HD-DVD's... (It's water base resurfacing machine and it works well.) I don't think Amazon will replace King Kong without the drive. So, I might be screwed out of King Kong and that sucks.

I was talking about simply cleaning with a cloth. So try that and if you still have problems, have it resurfaced. If this doesn't work and makes it worse, PM me and I will send you a copy of KK to see if that fixes the problem.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #1369 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoveridema0 View Post

dear amirm,

I am a loyal and avid hd dvd supporter, but latly blu-ray movie sales have started to surpass that of hd dvds and i belive that is due to the fact that blu-ray advertising on t.v. and in electronics stores is more prevalent, what is the hd dvd group planning to counter this?

Thanks again for your support of HD DVD.

Unfortunately, in front of our competitors I can not disclose our marketing plans. But suffice to say, a lot is planned. Take a look at the HighDef News section for a post from Kosty for a flavor of it.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1370 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

Amir and Talkstr8t,

Questions for both of you about the *-9 formats:

No specific requirement. I believe there are some red laser HD DVDs already out there.

Quote:

There is a rumor that BD-9 also uses RomMark but obviously, it can not be the same wobble-grove mechanism used in BD blue laser discs.

Quote:

Amir, given a fairly clean 1080p24 (say, digitial camera) source and a modest (single) 448 or 640k regular DD track, how long of a feature would you expect to be able to fit on a HD-9 (or BD-9) via VC-1?

Thanks!

-John Williams

Using 12 Mbit/sec rate (10 mbit/sec average plus 2 mbit/sec for the peaks) for audio/video, you get about 1 hour and 39 minutes. So you can have 90 minutes for such clean material to allow a bit of safety there. This would shrink to 1 hour of more difficult content.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1371 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Unfortunately, in front of our competitors I can not disclose our marketing plans. But suffice to say, a lot is planned. Take a look at the HighDef News section for a post from Kosty for a flavor of it.

Amir:

There seems to be a lot of "fishing" going around. I have my confience in HD DVD using marketing dollars in the most sensible way.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #1372 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM

^ I know you are correct. In addition to Toshiba's and the HD DVD promotions group's money, I expect many authorized dealers, like myself, using our budgets heavily for the Super-bowl special instant rebate offer.

In fact, our aggressive plans include a large advertising budget on the Internet, national and local print and radio plus we are spicing up the offer over and beyond the national Toshiba offer.

Remember, this offer is for any new Toshiba HD DVD player, models A2, XA1 or XA2 combined with any new Toshiba 50" or larger HD DTV purchased at the same time. So if your in the market for another HDTV this would be your golden opportunity.

-Robert
post #1373 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien View Post

Amir,

I am sure you are tired of hearing it, but Universal needs to make some significant software announcements VERY soon in order to pacify some of the hardcore HD-DVD supporters. At the moment, the top two or three threads in the HD section relate to the lack of new titles. Even though it has been made clear that there are 300-600 titles coming, the lack of hard release dates is troubling to many who are easily influenced by marketing and press releases.

I have seen the threads and commented in one. As I noted there, the machinery for HD DVD is once again in full gear. Some amazing content is being encoded ast I type this. People's patience will be rewarded nicely.

Quote:

Universal, I'm sure is "taking the high road" and only making announcements of concrete and relevant data as opposed to the BD studios, but the perception of SOME in the community is that Universal is not taking the format war seriously enough. They can make the argument that January is slow for sales, so the release dates are being saved for later months, but were only talking about a consumer base of less than 200,000. (to whom, this model does not apply)

I know you mentioned in an earlier thread that you had already expressed these concerns to the studio, but I think the situation is more in need of attention than they realize. If you know of a phone number or email address of some marketing people that we could contact, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for offering to push Uni. I have already communicated the sentiments of members here to their executives and they understand and will be responsive. This is all I can say with their direct competitors looking on . But I assure you that they will richly reward the fans of their movies in HD DVD.

There will be incredible number and variety of content in HD DVD this year. We have amazing number of post houses around the world trained with VC-1 and HDi. This is fueling incredible amount of HD DVD production worldwide. This, on top of strong support from Hollywood studios, will mean a banner year for HD DVD.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1374 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I was talking about simply cleaning with a cloth. So try that and if you still have problems, have it resurfaced. If this doesn't work and makes it worse, PM me and I will send you a copy of KK to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks Amirm, your real class act for doing this I'll try and get my King Kong resurfaced sometime this week. I'll report back to you after I get to test my King Kong again. Thanks for all the support you have a true HD-DVD supporter here.

Oh by the way I tested Apollo 13 tonight, played fine no freezes and it's about to finish in about 10 minutes.
post #1375 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

Amir, your guarantee does not make sense based on titles that use both codecs in the market. I respect that you are passionate about VC-1, but continuing to be so adamant regardless of observable results leads me to think this is a religious crusade rather than an objective pursuit for the best possible picture quality.

For a guy who fought a crusade just to see advanced codecs in Blu-ray, I say the results are there to back up such efforts . But I am happy to explain the logic more.

The key thing that you fail to note is that you are encoding MPEG-2 titles at much higher data rates than VC-1. So if MPEG-2 is a great codec, you should be beating VC-1 in quality, yet at most, you match it, but often come up short. The best example we have are Warner titles which you encoded in MPEGt-2. Here is the review of MPEG-2 Training Day on BD which is a top tier HD DVD title: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/trainingday.html

"'Training Day' on Blu-ray has a lot to live up to. Had this title been released on the format before it hit HD DVD, it likely would not have come under nearly as much scrutiny. Videophiles have been waiting with bated breath to see not only if 'Training Day' looks great on Blu-ray, but if it tops or at least equals its rival. Surprisingly, the differences between the two versions is substantial in more ways than one -- and unfortunately for the Blu-ray camp, though it is quite a close race, it ultimately doesn't go Blu-ray's way.

To assess picture quality, I did comparisons of three complete scenes on both discs, one after the other, simply by switching between my set's two inputs. I also compared a dozen individual still images, by pausing each deck on identical still frames and switching back and forth. The picture quality differences between the two transfers is often quite apparent. For example, during the very first shot of the film -- a zoom in on a red-hot, rising sun - there was some posterization was visible on the Blu-ray, with the banding of colors obvious as the picture faded in. Looking closely at the HD DVD I could also spot some posterization, but it was not nearly as severe. These type of compression artifacts continued throughout both transfers, and I noticed about three or four shots on the Blu-ray with more polarization on backgrounds or during fades/dissolves, which were either not there on the HD DVD, or greatly lessened. So score one for HD DVD's VC-1 compression codec over the MPEG-2 scheme used for Blu-ray -- at least until that format's larger-capacity BD-50 dual layer discs become commercially viable."

And Rumor Has It: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rumorhasit.html

"Compression artifacts, too, are also more distracting. I detected a few patches of what looked like noise or blockiness on such objects as flat, color walls and fabric patterns on the Blu-ray - the HD DVD just looked more consistently cleaner and clearer. Again, none of these drawbacks are monumental, but the discerning eyes of this early adopter left me a tad disappointed with the Blu-ray.

Note that Rumor Has It is a combo disc with only 15 gigabytes of capacity (newer combos do 30), compared to BD-25. So despite a capacity disadvantage, we came out ahead.

Admittedly, Peter Bracke considers MI3 to look the same on both formats. But the other reviews clearly show that despite having considerable advantage in peak bit rate using MPEG-2, you still did not manage to match our VC-1 quality.

Of course, we also know that Warner switched away from your MPEG-2 encode as fast they could. If life was great in MPEG-2 land, surely they would have continued using it.

Yes, there are some new BD titles that do look very nice. But there is no VC-1 version to compare to. And given your recent statement that you are releasing what looks good in BD, one is left wondering if test encodes are done and if something doesn't look good, they are put back on the shelf.

So going back to the original question of people wanting even more quality than VC-1 provides in HD DVD, my question remains why one dose not exhaust the quality that could be there by just switching codecs from Sony side. After all, you are the only studio 100% on MPEG-2 today. No other studio has even come close to have the kind of marriage that you have with MPEG-2. All other major studios have released titles in advanced codecs, including others in your camp. Are you really the smartest one of the bunch by staying with MPEG-2 for so long?

And how about only using AVC, when your own encoder is ready. Doesn't this seem like a coincident that the only time advanced codecs look good is when your own encoder is ready? And your preference to use that when it runs so much slower than our VC-1 encoder? Me thinks your internal directives to use Sony technology overrides the strive to create the absolute best quality. This is clear from studios who don't build encoders and how free they feel to use advanced codecs.

As I have mentioned before, we gain very little from you using VC-1. People are indeed surprised that help the blu-ray side at all this way. If Warner had not rolled out their titles last year with VC-1 and erase the poor showing of BD format with MPEG-2 prior to that, there is no telling where BD format would be today.

So why do we do it? Believe it or not, it goes back to a promise I made to a Sony executive some 3 years ago. When challenged that we would disadvantage Blu-ray should they allow VC-1 in the format, if we choose to go the HD DVD route, I said they would have our word that would treat them as well as HD DVD studios. So this is why we wrote the BD conversion tool for VC-1. And why make our services fully available to you. To the extent you turn our offer down, my conscious is clear and we can move on to concentrate our efforts to help all the other HD DVD studios get even better quality out of their products.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1376 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post

A company certainly could author a HD DVD disc with the option of going full-screen with the PIP. I don't know that titles have done that yet. Really, HDi can enable an enormous number of scenarios - it was designed to provide all the interactivity you'd want for a movie.

Would it be possible for someone to twist arms? I could really see this as being fun. For example, on Batman Begins it would be nice to be able to switch so that the commentary for SFX scenes could be seen more clearly. Of course that is an example of my geekiness...
post #1377 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoveridema View Post

dear amirm,

Quote:

Amirm:

Huh? Did you mean the post to the Kevin Collin interview, your HighDefDigest interview or to my porn post in the news thread?

Grubert posted the link to your HDD article originally?
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/featu...interview.html

My recent posts in the new thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9532898

Or did you mean the 30GB networking thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=788514

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #1378 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Amir: Did you mean this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

(Just saw the first printed ads at a retailer)

New Toshiba Program

Buy a new Toshiba HD TV 42" or larger along with a HD DVD player and receive $200 instant rebate off the bundle .

Dealers also receive an inventive.

Dealers must create or use a Toshiba ad or distribute an in-store flyer on the promotion.

Key element is the co-branding element of associating HD DVD with HDTV.

Limited time promotion is to start soon

This might be the best deal for months on getting a HD DVD player, if you are considering buying an 42 or larger HDTV.

The get 3 free HD DVD with HD DVD player purchase incentive is always still in place and can be used with this promotion.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #1379 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Amirm:

Huh? Did you mean the post to the Kevin Collin interview, your HighDefDigest interview or to my porn post in the news thread?

Grubert posted the link to your HDD article originally?
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/featu...interview.html

My recent posts in the new thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9532898

Or did you mean the 30GB networking thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=788514

I meant these on Toshiba's new promotion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9522665

And your update: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9525775

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1380 of 4841 Old 01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They could be burned onto a BD-R or BD-RE and played back on an unmodified BD player, but they could not be replicated onto a BD-ROM, as that's where ROMmark comes in (the watermark on BD-ROM format titles intended to protect against pirate replicators).

I thought AACS encrypted content could only be on a BD-ROM. That is one of the reasons all ROM disks must have AACS
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page