Lady in the Water/Superman: HD-DVD or Blu-ray? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, as of Christmas I've gained the ability to play both HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats.

I'm looking into getting the high-definition versions of both Superman Returns and Lady in the Water, and I was wondering which format for each movie looks better (if there is a difference.) I know the main advantages/disadvantages of each format, but I've read reviews on a few other dual format movies that say one format of the movie is better than the other.

My HD-DVD player is the xbox 360 add-on, my Blu-ray player is the Playstation 3.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Dunno about Lady in the Water, but Superman Returns on BD is no different than HD DVD. On a more positive note, Superman Returns on HD DVD comes with True HD and the SD DVD version just in case you want to play it back on a regular DVD player.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Dunno about Lady in the Water, but Superman Returns on BD is no different than HD DVD. On a more positive note, Superman Returns on HD DVD comes with True HD and the SD DVD version just in case you want to play it back on a regular DVD player.

Are there any disadvantages to those dvd/hd-dvd discs? I didn't think there was, but I just want to make sure.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are a little more expensive and you got to read the very fine print to know which side is SD or HD.

"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West
post #5 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

HD DVD of Superman Returns has a TrueHD soundtrack, which is the one you'll want though it may cost a couple bucks more. As for Lady in the Water, if all things are equal then get HD DVD. Get Blu-Ray for currently exclusive titles only.

Please feel free to visit
or follow my NEWS feed on
post #6 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lady in the Water HD-DVD also has a TrueHD track, which has been stripped from the BD version just like Superman Returns. Unless you're a pure BD fanboy, the HD-DVD release of these two movies is objectively, unarguably superior, because of the inclusion of lossless audio. PQ-wise they are identical. Of course, sense you'd be using the Xbox 360 add on, you won't be able to take advantage of the lossless audio, so it's not quite as clear what your immediate benefits would be. I've never read a comparision of the DD 1.5 mbs output of SR from the add on and the DD 640k that is on the BD version, but since the source is lossless and the output still has a higher bitrate, I'd assume that the sound on the HD-DVD release would still be superior. You might have to listen really hard to hear a difference, but I'd go with the HD-DVD releases just for the piece of mind knowing that I owned the disk that contained the best audio available.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

With your current players, I'd say go with the BR versions. You won't be able to take advantage of the audio and playing movies on 360 kind of sucks because of the fan noise (PS3 may not be as silent as stand-alones, but it's certainly better than 360 -- Lady in the water has more than a few quiet scenes, iirc). Not sure what video outputs you're using from PS3/360 also -- both component? HDMI on PS3? VGA on 360? For example, if you're not using VGA on 360 and you are using HDMI on PS3, then I would be more inclined to use PS3 as a player too.

Flip a coin maybe. The differences between the versions and what you play them on would be minimal to your experience in the end at this point anyways.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronn View Post

With your current players, I'd say go with the BR versions. You won't be able to take advantage of the audio and playing movies on 360 kind of sucks because of the fan noise (PS3 may not be as silent as stand-alones, but it's certainly better than 360 -- Lady in the water has more than a few quiet scenes, iirc). Not sure what video outputs you're using from PS3/360 also -- both component? HDMI on PS3? VGA on 360? For example, if you're not using VGA on 360 and you are using HDMI on PS3, then I would be more inclined to use PS3 as a player too.

Flip a coin maybe. The differences between the versions and what you play them on would be minimal to your experience in the end at this point anyways.

360 playing HD DVD is mighty quiet (even though far from silent). One can't compare the noise playing DVD on 360 vs noise generated using the HD DVD add-on.

Quite honestly, on the other hand, I hardly can hear the difference between DD+ and TrueHD/Uncompressed LPCM so the dealbreaker for me was the SD DVD side.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #9 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

360 playing HD DVD is mighty quiet (even though far from silent). One can't compare the noise playing DVD on 360 vs noise generated using the HD DVD add-on.

Quite honestly, on the other hand, I hardly can hear the difference between DD+ and TrueHD/Uncompressed LPCM so the dealbreaker for me was the SD DVD side.

Yeah, there was a reason I put the last couple sentences in. Regardless of the choice, the experience difference is going to be very minimal (if there is any, even -- depends on a couple things, as I mentioned -- cables choices probably the biggest and even that is minimal at best).

Not sure why I didn't think of it (or anyone else?)... just find the versions that are the cheapest -- look on amazon or wherever and get the cheapest versions of both (unless you actually want the SD-DVD side, like David).

@David, I haven't actually played with the 360's HD-DVD drive... is it actually quiet? Is it comparable to PS3? (that's about my limit, if it's close to that) -- I sort of gave up on that as a choice because fan noise/drive noise of the 360 drove me nuts. PM me if you don't mind (better than polluting a thread).
post #10 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I would disagree with this assessment. Even if the OP's current equipment cannot take advantage of TrueHD, I would still purchase the format that has this capability. Why? If at any point he upgrades to a player capable of outputting TrueHD, he'll regret not having purchased the HD-DVDs.

Unless there is a huge difference in price, I would buy the HD-DVDs... there's no reason not to. Only potential upside down the line...

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #11 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, there was a reason I put the last couple sentences in. Regardless of the choice, the experience difference is going to be very minimal (if there is any, even -- depends on a couple things, as I mentioned -- cables choices probably the biggest and even that is minimal at best).

Not sure why I didn't think of it (or anyone else?)... just find the versions that are the cheapest -- look on amazon or wherever and get the cheapest versions of both (unless you actually want the SD-DVD side, like David).

@David, I haven't actually played with the 360's HD-DVD drive... is it actually quiet? Is it comparable to PS3? (that's about my limit, if it's close to that) -- I sort of gave up on that as a choice because fan noise/drive noise of the 360 drove me nuts. PM me if you don't mind (better than polluting a thread).

That's what I was starting to think too - buy whichever one is cheapest.

The 360's add-on drive makes some noise, but it's not as loud as the ps3. The 360 itself is louder than them both though.

For cables I'm using optical toslink for the audio from both; 360 video is VGA @ 1920x1080; PS3 video is HDMI @ 1080p.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

HD DVD all the way. They both have TrueHD tracks in case you upgrade to a dedicated player later on (bonus 1). Bonus 2 is that the HD DVDs have the SD DVD as well. Meaning you could watch the movie in other rooms (other houses, cars, laptops, etc) as opposed to only the room with the HD DVD player or BD player. Sure there is a price difference, but in my opinion, worth it for the versatility!

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #13 of 20 Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Vote for the HD DVD version.

My gf and I just watched this on DVD and the score is beautiful. Get the best audio you can if you get the chance ..you'll not regret it.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't have eperience with Lady in the water, but the Superman Dolby HD rocks and I took the movie to my families for christmas vacation and they thoroughly enjoyed the DVD side.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-31-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:

A xbox 360 with no disc in the drive on the dashboard registers over 48db. Are you telling me thats "mighty" quiet? Because i'd beg to differ. 53+ with a game inside. Ive not tried the hd-dvd addon, but i've heard it adds additional noise as well. So just add the total from that to the idle of 48+ and go from there.

The PS3 registers less then 23db at idle and 24-25 while playing a blu-ray. So, i'd say with the original posters situation (360 addon drive), i'd get the blu-ray versions since the truehd tracks on the disc are useless on it anyway. If he has plans of getting a stand alone, then i could recommend the HD-DVD versions.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 View Post

That's what I was starting to think too - buy whichever one is cheapest.

The 360's add-on drive makes some noise, but it's not as loud as the ps3. The 360 itself is louder than them both though.

For cables I'm using optical toslink for the audio from both; 360 video is VGA @ 1920x1080; PS3 video is HDMI @ 1080p.

In my experience there is some major variation between units regarding loudness. The first 360 addon I purchased was crazy loud. Anytime there was a scene that wasnt loud, I could clearly hear the "whirring" of it. I returned it to circuit city and got a second one. That one ended up still being loud, although somewhat quieter than the first. By that time I was also getting frustraited with the limitations in the audio department on the 360. In the end I took the second add on back, sold my 360 on ebay, and purchased a ps3. The ps3 is quieter than the xbox at its quietest (minus being turned off).
post #17 of 20 Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoFromDelTaco View Post

A xbox 360 with no disc in the drive on the dashboard registers over 48db. Are you telling me thats "mighty" quiet? Because i'd beg to differ. 53+ with a game inside. Ive not tried the hd-dvd addon, but i've heard it adds additional noise as well. So just add the total from that to the idle of 48+ and go from there.

Actually, the primary fans in the 360 turn off once an HD dvd has been started. The console may still have some secondary fans going but I couldnt really hear them. The bulk, if not all, of the noise came from the hd add on itself. Which, I agree with you, is significantly louder than the ps3.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-01-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HD DVD version for both - the HD DVD version has lossless audio and a backwards-compatible SD DVD version, both of which the Blu-Ray versions lack.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post

In my experience there is some major variation between units regarding loudness. The first 360 addon I purchased was crazy loud. Anytime there was a scene that wasnt loud, I could clearly hear the "whirring" of it. I returned it to circuit city and got a second one. That one ended up still being loud, although somewhat quieter than the first. By that time I was also getting frustraited with the limitations in the audio department on the 360. In the end I took the second add on back, sold my 360 on ebay, and purchased a ps3. The ps3 is quieter than the xbox at its quietest (minus being turned off).

The PS3 is definitely quieter than the 360 as far as playing games. As for the HD-DVD add-on, I've only had one experience where I noticed any sound from the 360 and it lasted for maybe 5 minutes and then stopped. Other than that watching the movie was fine. On the PS3, I don't hear a sound.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Haven't seen Lady in the Water, but the TrueHD soundtrack on the Superman Returns HD-DVD is a significant improvement over the Dolby Digital track on the BD. It's one of the top lossless tracks I have heard on HD-DVD, and probably ranks in the top 10 of all lossless / uncompressed tracks that I've heard on both formats.

As others have noted, you can also flip the Superman Returns HD-DVD over and play it on a regular DVD player.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page