BD movie software price increase if BD wins the war? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are several indications that currently BD movie software are subsidised in someway. If BD is declared the winner and HD DVD is no more (dont kill me please ) , will the BD movie software price be increased as the motivation to keep the price down is no longer there? (with HD DVD no longer in the picture).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 01:14 PM

That could happen, yes. That's why I support HD and not BD. HD is more consumer friendly.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

By the time any such determination could be made; prices would have dropped below the current levels, end result we wouldn't notice the difference even if it occurred.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 PM

Why do the AVS Forums continue to allow HD-DVD supporters to spread malicious lies? First, this guy creates a thread with a false accusation called "AVS insider 'sacked' for criticizing Talladega Night PQ" and now this. And the mods don't do ****!

Ban this guy already.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it's pretty clear that all HD-DVDs would be "combos" if they had the capacity to make them. They charge $5 more right now. Maybe they would charge $10 dollars more if BD wasn't there for the "competition"..

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zuber View Post

Why do the AVS Forums continue to allow HD-DVD supporters to spread malicious lies? First, this guy creates a thread with a false accusation called "AVS insider 'sacked' for criticizing Talladega Night PQ" and now this. And the mods don't do ****!

Ban this guy already.

You know the difference between an accusation and a hypothesis right? I'm speaking to this thread, not the "AVS insider 'sacked'" thread.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Oh, and b.greenway, there's only a few hours left for your prediction:

Quote:

The net result of this may surprise even the most ardent Blu-ray supporters; I'm told to expect at least one Blu-ray exclusive studio to announce neutrality, before the end of the year.

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/10/hollywood_insid.html
Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by g55555sim View Post

There are several indications that currently BD movie software are subsidised in someway. If BD is declared the winner and HD DVD is no more (dont kill me please ) , will the BD movie software price be increased as the motivation to keep the price down is no longer there? (with HD DVD no longer in the picture).

Given Sony's track record of excellent customer service, and consumer forward approach to the market I would predict software prices to start a decline should they win.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...ood_insid.html

That's hilarious.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say no, buy that time their will be a clear winner. I think both formats will be around for some time. Some side switching among the studios could occur.

But I think nether format will win DVD is far to strong. Not many pepole have the cappabilty to use HD to the fullest anyway.
With DVD players selling at 29 bucks each how can they either win over all.

But if one side must I'd vote for HD-DVD.
Sony has a poor track recored although they do like to hang on till the bitter End (look at UMD they still make movies for that thing)...

I think sony will be strong in the blank media format but maybe not the blu-ray movie format the demade is not high enough. Like said many are still just getting the hang of DVD.

But, eitherway I will buy HDDVD as long as I can, and until it or bluray fails I won't stop buying. I may switch sides if needed. But I will keep my HDDVD player and movies. They're still HD so if BR wins they won't stop working. My LDs still "work" and that format is dead..
Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post

That's hilarious.

He didn't answer my question but it was pretty damn funny Maybe Rob will give me an 11 day and 8 hr. extension?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ban this guy already.

yupe .. 'sacked' from posting at AVS .. which part of the thread is 'malicious; and which part is a lie
Old 12-31-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Given Sony's track record of excellent customer service, and consumer forward approach to the market I would predict software prices to start a decline should they win.

I'm being dead serious here, no sarcasm. You're joking right?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway View Post

He didn't answer my question but it was pretty damn funny Maybe Rob will give me an 11 day and 8 hr. extension?

Why that day vs the 7th when HD-DVD is doing their pre-CES announcements?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd2005 View Post

Why that day vs the 7th when HD-DVD is doing their pre-CES announcements?

No reason other than the 11th is the last day of CES. But yeah, looking forward to hearing what Toshiba has to say.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not fighting fair. You don't think that if someone were to scrub all the AVS format-war threads for the last two years, that there would be a fair amount of bad calls on both sides of the fence? Dirty pool, my man, just so you know.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert View Post

That's not fighting fair. You don't think that if someone were to scrub all the AVS format-war threads for the last two years, that there would be a fair amount of bad calls on both sides of the fence? Dirty pool, my man, just so you know.

There's nothing wrong with holding people accountable for what they say. In fact, I find it commendable...and it's funny as heck.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway View Post

I'm being dead serious here, no sarcasm. You're joking right?

Yes, joking. Its just funny that I post something which seems like a reasonable statement, which some orginizations should at least strive for, and it gets a response like yours.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Not any more than if the opposite (BD went away) occurred.

You people need to get a grip, on both sides of the issue.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 12-31-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's difficult to say, but there is no doubt that HD DVD is less expensive to produce, and the studios that are releasing on Blu-Ray are only trying to keep disc prices close to HD DVD. I would expect it to go up about $5 per title, but that's only conjecture, especially when I don't expect Blu-Ray to win.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
1. The real competition is DVD at that point anyway, and probably new technologies like downloading.
2. The cost of manufacture is small compared to the list prices charged.

It was predicted two years ago by Toshiba that consumers would pay more for Blu-ray disks. This hasn't happened and I doubt that it will.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Why do the AVS Forums continue to allow HD-DVD supporters to spread malicious lies?

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with arguing on merits, but do you know how many times I had to correct HD-DVD supporters in the last two weeks for saying things like:

-"BD cost more to buy than HD-DVD" (this despite the fact that there isn't a single title that is more expensive on BD than its HD-DVD counterpart

-"$1000 for a BD player vs. $500 for HD-DVD. No contest. HD-DVD wins."

-"The Samsung player is $799 at Amazon" (it was actually $569 and had been under $600 for several weeks).

Quote:

As if Sony has any say as to what any other studio charges for their discs.

Replication costs have little effect on the end-cost to the consumer. Both CD and DVD replication costs have dropped drastically in recent years. DVD costs have gone down to the consumer, CD costs have gone up.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

2. The cost of manufacture is small compared to the list prices charged.

I am sure you know this but studios do not get the list price as the booked revenue. They get the net price after distributor/retailer discount.

Quote:

It was predicted two years ago by Toshiba that consumers would pay more for Blu-ray disks. This hasn't happened and I doubt that it will.

They probably didn't realize some BD company was going to shoulder the cost difference to make this market . Interestingly enough, some of the other BD companies did and relied on it! Makes you wonder who is really the smarter one of the bunch! And yes, BD folks didn't think Toshiba was going to price their player so low. So tit for tat.

Anyway, the disc production subsidies are not forever and still represent a big premium over DVD costs. When you are Warner and stamp out half a billion DVDs a year, even a 10 cent cost differential amounts to $50M/year. That is not small change. And we are talking about much larger differential than ten cents here.

If BD production cost had come down and there were proof of that from independent replicators, your prediction would obviously be a prudent one. But as it is, those dynamics are artificial and temporary. The hope is that they climb the learning curve on BD production fast enough to have the real cost be reasonable when the ballon payment comes due. Without deep industry knowledge, anyone making a prediction about this would have equal chances of winning a game in Vegas .

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with arguing on merits, but do you know how many times I had to correct HD-DVD supporters in the last two weeks for saying things like:

-"$1000 for a BD player vs. $500 for HD-DVD. No contest. HD-DVD wins."

-"The Samsung player is $799 at Amazon" (it was actually $569 and had been under $600 for several weeks).

I would agree with the other parts but the one above still makes me laugh. The Samsung is not worth even $569. It is a mediocre DVD player and a only a fairly competent BD player. Obviously, this thing has been discounted for some time and still is gathering dust on the shelves of many BB stores (I still count the original six here from months ago)

If you like this player so much, buy them up and try to sell them to unsuspecting Ebayers....and good luck.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

They probably didn't realize some BD company was going to shoulder the cost difference to make this market . Interestingly enough, some of the other BD companies did and relied on it! Makes you wonder who is really the smarter one of the bunch! And yes, BD folks didn't think Toshiba was going to price their player so low. So tit for tat.

Competition then has driven prices down on both sides

The bigger issue in terms of taking a bite out of consumer pockets is the software moreso than the players.

A valid question is not only whether prices would go up w/o competition but also would prices fall at a much slower pace in the absence of competition?

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
Old 12-31-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert View Post

That's why anyone seeking fame and fortune with crystal ball gazing into the tech futures should study Nostradamus. Cloak your language in obscure and lyrical terms that can have multiple meanings, make lots of predictions to make sure at least some come true --- you could always point to the ones that could be construed as not wrong and say, "even Canseco did not bat 300 every year."

So predictions such as : "HD-DVD is toast", "BD50 is science fiction", "An exclusive studio will flip by end of the year", or even this one : "BD movie price increase if BD wins the war" are powerful and definite statements. But there is no wiggle room in any of the above and that's why Nostradamus would never utter predictions as these.

Rather, Nostradamus would say
(1) HD-DVD is toast.
--->
For there will be a forum on a spider spun webs,
With men (some women too) meeting to talk of moving pictures and sound
And a format with cases of color defnitely not green,
Would break bread that has been warmed over twice.

Or
(4) BD movie price increase if BD wins the war.
--->
Of moving pictures captured in boxes that are definitely not green.
We shall see one stand on the field of trumpets with workers in dairy products in general,
And should one emerge triumphant,
More green is expected to be seen in the coming days.

----------------------

On a more serious note, my crystal ball is in the shop getting fixed, so no soothsaying for me, the prices of BD are already exorbitant today, it's the retailers that are heavily discounting at percentages close to DVD discounts.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:56 AM

BD discs should actually be cheaper than HD DVD discs eventually due to volume. BD has PS3 games, computer optical storage, movies..etc. The only good usuage for HD-DVD discs are movies.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd90210 View Post

BD discs should actually be cheaper than HD DVD discs eventually due to volume. BD has PS3 games, computer optical storage, movies..etc. The only good usuage for HD-DVD discs are movies.

I would guess that SL BD-ROM discs should cost less than DL-HD-DVD very soon. A single layer to master and press will be cheaper than two masters and two layers.

And with VC-1 making leaps and bounds improvements in encoding efficiency, 25GB should be as good as 30GB pretty quick....

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But when you factor in the setup costs for BD production it can easily swing the other way. Also with very few production facilities, if demand does exceed supply, i'd be very surprised if a manufacturer didn't up the price to maximise their ROI.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Old 01-01-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I would agree with the other parts but the one above still makes me laugh. The Samsung is not worth even $569. It is a mediocre DVD player and a only a fairly competent BD player. Obviously, this thing has been discounted for some time and still is gathering dust on the shelves of many BB stores (I still count the original six here from months ago)

The point wasn't whether or not the Samsung is a great machine or not. The point was that HD-DVD supporters are constantly inflating prices of BD players and discs. It's become so common, it is laughable.