Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/070108/ca_b...home.html?.v=1

Quote:
Cars, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Con Air, King Arthur Director's Cut, Chicken Little, The Rock, Cinderella Man, Face/Off, Crimson Tide, Air Force One, Finding Neverland, G.I. Jane, The Recruit, Open Range, Remember The Titans and Scary Movie 4 Among the Exciting Titles to Be Released on Blu-ray Disc

Quote:
Commenting on the announcement, BVWHE President Bob Chapek stated, "Blu-ray is quickly becoming the high-definition standard on the market today and we are very pleased to add this amazing slate of Blu-ray releases that will appeal to our core demographic. With the dual-layer, 50GB discs, the possibilities for exciting new interactive features and additional bonus content are endless."

The company has already had tremendous success with the first generation of Blu-ray Disc titles such as Eight Below and Dinosaur, and is releasing most new titles on the new dual-layer Blu-ray Discs that features a massive storage capacity of 50GB, enabling the highest caliber encodes, expanded bonus material and exciting new interactive features.

Doesn't sound as though they're going to be switching to HD DVD any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great news for blu-ray! Both Pirates movies in May 2007, Yay!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Cinderella man?? If Disney is BD exclusive, then why is this listed under a disney release when its already out on HD-DVD?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is distributed by a different company in Japan.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Disney has always loved the 50 gig and high-bit-rate potential of BD. That's one reason why they waited a while to start releasing discs. Java is the next big thing they're waiting to be released in full. They plan to really set the standard with their BD special editions. It should be a good year.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
is releasing most new titles on the new dual-layer Blu-ray Discs that features a massive storage capacity of 50GB, enabling the highest caliber encodes,

It's great to be king. Reading stuff like this you'd actually think that movies like Click were never relesed. Also, he should check a current thread in AVS discussing mpeg2 artifacting on Pearl Harbor. Of course you can get great encodes on 50GB, but you can also get mediocre ones. Same as on HD30. However, I do agree with the OP pointing out that it doesn't sound like Disney is thinking about going to HD DVD anytime soon. These statements ("massive storage", "highest caliber encodes") are heavy into the hyperbole and imply that Disney is promoting the format, and not just their releases.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Disney has always loved the 50 gig and high-bit-rate potential of BD. That's one reason why they waited a while to start releasing discs.

Makes you wonder what is the purpose of HD DVD TL 50GB with 1.5 spin rate? Maybe Toshiba just like innovation...

HDPLEX
Old 01-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Disney still hasn't released the big guns, though it is getting better. Pirates is going to be huge, as is Cars. And my Disney friends were right - no HD-DVD support despite all the "insiders" information on this board.

Think I'll have to take the "insiders" information from both sides with a grain of salt from now on. I think my Sony friends were wrong as well, though we've heard nothing yet. Should be a good year for both formats, though I wish we'd just get a winner and get it over with. It's kind of confusing supporting both.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 AM

Awesome, more fantastic titles
Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 AM

can't wait for pirates 1 and 2!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 AM

YAY!!! More great news for Blu-ray
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmas View Post

Disney still hasn't released the big guns, though it is getting better. Pirates is going to be huge, as is Cars.

Big guns? Pirates: Dead Man's Chest was the #1 movie of 2006 both domestically and worldwide, and took in $1.05 Billion worldwide. Cars was #2 domestically and #5 worldwide in 2006. If those aren't big guns, I don't know what is. Sure, Nemo, The Incredibles, and Monsters Inc. were stronger titles, but it appears they wan't to release newer material first.

Quote:

Should be a good year for both formats, though I wish we'd just get a winner and get it over with. It's kind of confusing supporting both.

Take a look at the domestic top 100 for 2006 and take a look at the top 10-20. Universal's highest movie was #18. They only have 6 movies in the top 50, and it's the same for the worldwide top 100 for 2006. Besides Warner, who are neutral and should be releasing everything in their HD-DVD press release on BD*, what compelling content does HD-DVD have coming? Do we only have back catalog stuff to look forward to?

*this is an assumption based upon their support of both HD-DVD and BD, and their statements saying they would catch up on the BD side this year.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw View Post

. Cars was #2 domestically and #5 worldwide in 2006. If those aren't big guns, I don't know what is. Sure, Nemo, The Incredibles, and Monsters Inc. were stronger titles, but it appears they wan't to release newer material first.

According to my 4 year old, Cars is the greatest movie of all times. I myself have had to watch it maybe a dozen times.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You would think parents would wise up and support HD DVD...i mean who wants to watch ice age,lion king, cars and monsters inc as well as nemo on a continuous loop throughout the day.......and POTC-DMC better be a awesome transfer because the upscaled dvd in my a1 looks unbelievable....but put it in my PS3 and it turns to crap......

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
Old 01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra View Post

YAY!!! More great news for Blu-ray

Ditto that!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Fantastic news for the BR camp. I would LOVe to see how much better the Pixar titles will be on BR.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't pirates announced to be released last year?

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Excellent news, can't wait for POTC. If we're lucky, Universal will see the writing on the wall and go neutral (which should bring this war to an end rather quickly).

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

Wasn't pirates announced to be released last year?

Weren't Harry Potter, Matrix Trilogy, Shawshank Redemption and even LOTR "announced to be released last year"
Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Cinderella Man? Dang, I was hoping for Cinderella, man.

Being one of the few people on the planet who doesn't like POTC and many of the other titles, this list doesn't get me that excited (although I realize it is good for the format). Since they're releasing Chicago (which I can't wait to pick up), I was hoping for some more of their great Miramax titles, but alas, they have to cater to their "core demographic." It's completely understandable, even if I am a bit disappointed. Still, Cars is a definite buy, and I'll likely get The Rock.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, to me feature films is where it is at....animation and hi def imo are a waste......i have watched the ant bully dvd and hd dvd and the difference is not enought to talk about......like 7 and 8 yr old kids are going to get thier own forum on here and discuss the latest disney transfer.....little mermaid is reference while bambi left a lot to be desired...lol....and i hope they move to vc-1 for 101 dalamations!!!

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Well, to me feature films is where it is at....animation and hi def imo are a waste......i have watched the ant bully dvd and hd dvd and the difference is not enought to talk about......like 7 and 8 yr old kids are going to get thier own forum on here and discuss the latest disney transfer.....little mermaid is reference while bambi left a lot to be desired...lol....and i hope they move to vc-1 for 101 dalamations!!!

You'd be surprised at the number of adults that have an appreciation for the Disney animated classics.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

little mermaid is reference while bambi left a lot to be desired

Well, that shows how little you know! Bambi was in fact a near-reference digital restoration using Lowry's services and it looks that way on DVD. Little Mermaid, by contrast, is plagued with video noise and other image-anomalies that really distract any viewer attempting to watch in a projection context.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Pirates! woohoo
Old 01-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Well, that shows how little you know! Bambi was in fact a near-reference digital restoration using Lowry's services and it looks that way on DVD. Little Mermaid, by contrast, is plagued with video noise and other image-anomalies that really distract any viewer attempting to watch in a projection context.

So true. Even on a 32" crt I could tell that bambi's encode was something special. I am hoping that some of disney's other titles like little mermaid and beauty and the beast can get a little more love on blu-ray.