Universal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rover2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have i missed the announcement from Uni on what they are releasing this year or has it not been made yet?
Ta.
rover2002 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member
 
nyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't seen anything from Universal yet. Very strange.
nyg is offline  
post #3 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ryoohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Repentigny, Québec, Canada
Posts: 3,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those The Good Shepherd, Children of Man, and BattleStar Galactica (1994) where mentionned at the HD DVD conf yesterday, but Universal hadn't issue a Press Release yet. Warner are going to release information tomorrow.. (about their title and TOTALHD)..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
ryoohki is offline  
post #4 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I was just talking to a friend about this. I've seen mention of "Battlestar Gallactica" and something else mentioned, but not sure if that is it for what Universal is going to announce at the show. As far as HD DVD vs Blu-ray, considering the HD DVD side it seems to me to be a little bit like counting on your star linebacker for a big football game to anchor your defense and he shows up sick. Maybe they just haven't announced yet and I'm jumping the gun, but it seems to me that the Weinstein's are pulling more than their weight right now for HD DVD and Universal pulled more than their weight in 2006. But as far as 2007, it isn't looking like Universal is going to be pulling a huge load in the very short term from what has come out of CES so far. Doesn't mean they couldn't later. Maybe somebody could stop by the Toshiba booth and ask for some clarification on Universal's schedule. Even if that means it will still be announced at CES.

I think Universal has a tough decision to make about whether they want to continue fighting hard for HD DVD. If they do, they are going to be the main people HD DVD will be counting on to defend against Fox, Disney, Sony, and Lionsgate. Seems like they are going to need to push even harder and bring out more of the big stuff from the past if none of those others are going neutral soon.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
darinp2 is online now  
post #5 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I think Universal has a tough decision to make about whether they want to continue fighting hard for HD DVD. If they do, they are going to be the main people HD DVD will be counting on to defend against Fox, Disney, Sony, and Lionsgate. Seems like they are going to need to push even harder and bring out more of the big stuff from the past if none of those others are going neutral soon.

THe big problem is how many tricks they have to pull out. Probably another year's worth. If anyone was going neutral, it would have been announced this weekend. HD's just going to die a slow death
WickyWoo is offline  
post #6 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Member
 
jtny71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where are the Spielberg movies ????
jtny71 is offline  
post #7 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Where are the Spielberg movies ????

Being held back till they'll sell a bajillion copies, just like with DVD
WickyWoo is offline  
post #8 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rlsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you look at Universal's catalog, they have already picked a lot of their A titles from recent years for HD DVD.

The exceptions are, predictably, titles like Jaws, ET, Schindler's List, Back to the Future, and so on. These are titles that didn't make it to DVD for a long time and that most people don't expect in hd for a while either.

I do not know if we can look forward to the kind of continued support for HD DVD that Universal was able to provide last year.

As to Weinstein (which someone mentioned), they have been very generous with their best titles in the last few weeks. But take a look at their catalog. What you see is that they don't have a lot of interesting titles left. [Check out their website for their current DVD's for example.]
rlsmith is offline  
post #9 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Member
 
djhotpocket2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Steel City, PA
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

Those The Good Shepherd, Children of Man, and BattleStar Galactica (1994) where mentionned at the HD DVD conf yesterday, but Universal hadn't issue a Press Release yet. Warner are going to release information tomorrow.. (about their title and TOTALHD)..

They mentioned Children of Men?!?!?!? I just saw this film this past friday evening with the wife and a few good friends. It was breathtaking. One of the best films I have seen in years, and trust me I've seen them all. It would be an honor for a copy of this film to sit on my shelf, let alone in HD. Please god let them announce a firm US date for this on HD before I'm driven to import the SD edition from Amazon UK that is being released next monday.

And Battlestar Galactica...thank the gods. Please let them release this sooner rather than later. So say we all.
djhotpocket2001 is offline  
post #10 of 131 Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
SyHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhotpocket2001 View Post

They mentioned Children of Men?!?!?!? I just saw this film this past friday evening with the wife and a few good friends. It was breathtaking. One of the best films I have seen in years ...

You are kidding me right? I know many critics raved about it but the movie is the most overhyped movie ever. I could not get pass the premise that no humans have been born on earth for nearly 20 years but yet in Britain, an island nation last time I checked, struggled with an immigration problem and deporting millions and millions of illegal immigrates. You would think a country would welcome new citizens considering you would lose 1/5 of your population if the birth rate is 0 for nearly 20 years. The movie is a string of political ideas woven together disregarding any logic whatsoever. The cinematography was great and the acting was decent, I give you that.

Does price really matter if you are buying a ticket on the Titanic?
SyHD is offline  
post #11 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ShagMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Children of Men was definitely overhyped.

-Josh Murrah
ShagMan is offline  
post #12 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Member
 
Haneke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Over hyped it was, just like Babel and Crash. It's arthouse for the masses. Most people who attend Hollywood films don't usually see films like this. That's why these films get rave reviews while others question why.
Haneke is offline  
post #13 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bboisvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

I do not know if we can look forward to the kind of continued support for HD DVD that Universal was able to provide last year.

They definitely put out a lot of great flicks last year, including most of their recent box office hits. However, as I posted in a thread about a week or two ago, that certainly doesn't mean that Universal is done or will have a weak 2007.


There are still unreleased recent box office hits: Bruce Almighty, American Wedding, Meet the Fockers, Along Came Polly, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Inside Man

Recent indies such as Lost in Translation, Pride and Prejudice, Eternal Sunshine, and The Constant Gardener.

They have older blockbusters like E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park, Airport, American Graffiti, Back to the Future, Smokey and the Bandit.

2006/2007 releases like Children of Men (as mentioned, on just about every critic top-10 list this year), Good Shepherd, Alpha Dog, Evan Almighty, The Kingdom, Smokin Aces, Breach, etc.

And lots of other recent-ish titles like American Pie, 8 Mile, Beautiful Mind, Erin Brockovich, Nutty Professor, Bring it On, Notting Hill, etc.

Not to mention the 'classic' titles in the catalog (To Kill a Mockingbird, Double Indemnity, Universal Monsters) and TV titles (Battlestar Galactica, Law&Order, Monk, The Office)

There is still *plenty* of popular stuff to come out in 2007 and beyond. Plus there are always things like Conan, etc. to throw into the mix to surprise people.
bboisvert is offline  
post #14 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 7,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Battlestar Galactica!!!

And not just the miniseries. I want the mini plus seasons 1, 2, and 3. Perhaps in the summer, before the beginning of season 4, day and date with the release of Season 3 on DVD.

I'll definitely buy... if the quality on HD DVD is good. I'm not buying the SD DVDs anymore. The quality isn't that great.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #15 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rlsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

They definitely put out a lot of great flicks last year, including most of their recent box office hits. However, as I posted in a thread about a week or two ago, that certainly doesn't mean that Universal is done or will have a weak 2007.


There are still unreleased recent box office hits: Bruce Almighty, American Wedding, Meet the Fockers, Along Came Polly, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Inside Man

Recent indies such as Lost in Translation, Pride and Prejudice, Eternal Sunshine, and The Constant Gardener.

They have older blockbusters like E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park, Airport, American Graffiti, Back to the Future, Smokey and the Bandit.

2006/2007 releases like Children of Men (as mentioned, on just about every critic top-10 list this year), Good Shepherd, Alpha Dog, Evan Almighty, The Kingdom, Smokin Aces, Breach, etc.

And lots of other recent-ish titles like American Pie, 8 Mile, Beautiful Mind, Erin Brockovich, Nutty Professor, Bring it On, Notting Hill, etc.

Not to mention the 'classic' titles in the catalog (To Kill a Mockingbird, Double Indemnity, Universal Monsters) and TV titles (Battlestar Galactica, Law&Order, Monk, The Office)

There is still *plenty* of popular stuff to come out in 2007 and beyond. Plus there are always things like Conan, etc. to throw into the mix to surprise people.

Yes, they have a lot of stuff in the catalog; you have done a great job of listing their titles.

My point was that they may feel that they have already made a significant investment in the format, and it is not clear how much they will feel that they should invest until the format picks up. At some point, they stand back and say that they have done the best that they can do.

Titles such as ET and Schindler's List are unlikely to be released this early, given studio's beliefs about their blockbusters and how they should release them.

I expect that the focus from Universal this year will be on new releases day-and-date with DVD (including titles like The Good Shepherd and Children of Men) plus a smaller list of catalog titles than they did last year.

Toward fall, they will be reassessing the whole thing in the light of the format war developments.

As things are evolving, Universal will hold the key to the outcome of the format war, IMHO, at some point in the future.
rlsmith is offline  
post #16 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomsHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 4,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just listing a count of Universal HD DVDs that put out per month up till now:

April - 3
May - 7
June - 2
July - 2
August - 6
September - 11
October - 11
November - 9
December - 8
January - 4

Hopefully more will still be coming for January
TomsHT is offline  
post #17 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
kadeeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curious, why is there no mention of HD DVD titles on Universal's website....at least that I could find?
kadeeu is offline  
post #18 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The question you need to ask is this:

How many of those will the average person feel compelled to rebuy in HD?

The Spielburgs, some of the TV titles, the classic market is pointed more toward the 35 and up crowd, that are usually the later adopters.

Not that there's anything WRONG with those films, they simply aren't attractive for the primary audience right now
WickyWoo is offline  
post #19 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RAVEN56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Jersey City, NJ, USA
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what time is universal's announcement?

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
RAVEN56706 is offline  
post #20 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bboisvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

The Spielburgs, some of the TV titles, the classic market is pointed more toward the 35 and up crowd, that are usually the later adopters.

Not that there's anything WRONG with those films, they simply aren't attractive for the primary audience right now

Are you misjudging the "primary audience"? The hardware for either format isn't exactly cheap.

I'm in your "35 and up crowd" and I bought my A1 in September. Given the title choices so far from some studios -- Robin Hood, Casablanca, The Deer Hunter, Forbidden Planet, The Searchers, The Sting, Grand Prix, Mutiny on the Bounty -- I'm not sure I'm in the minority.
bboisvert is offline  
post #21 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I'm in your "35 and up crowd" and I bought my A1 in September. Given the title choices so far from some studios -- Robin Hood, Casablanca, The Deer Hunter, Forbidden Planet, The Searchers, The Sting, Grand Prix, Mutiny on the Bounty -- I'm not sure I'm in the minority.

The people here are obvious exceptions to those rules.
WickyWoo is offline  
post #22 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

The people here are obvious exceptions to those rules.


Dude I see you all over this forum, and I just must know, why do you take this silly war so personal? Its very bizzare, like if your childs life has been bet on BD success.

So, are you helping the marketing dept of the BD camp by getting goodies?, or is this silly war that important to you? Just look at what you post, relax, take a step back.

You know what they say, Arguing on the internet is like..... never mind, you know.

This goes for all the other mouth pieces on both sides.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #23 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Dude I see you all over this forum, and I just must know, why do you take this silly war so personal?

Because I can't stand delusion and willful ignorance, no matter what form they take

Quote:


So, are you helping the marketing dept of the BD camp by getting goodies?.

Hah, I wish.

They're welcome to hire me. Some people here think they already did. But if they had, any smart shill keeps a low profile, quietly steering conversations the way they want it to go. There's a great Frontline on this you can watch on their website

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...rsuaders/view/
WickyWoo is offline  
post #24 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kanata, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe HD-DVD's and Universal's ace-in-the-hole is the "BrokeBack Mountain" release on Jan. 23? Maybe that will stem the tide (no, not the rose) of the Blu-Ray onslaught ...
Ilka is offline  
post #25 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

Because I can't stand delusion and willful ignorance, no matter what form they take



Hah, I wish.

They're welcome to hire me. Some people here think they already did. But if they had, any smart shill keeps a low profile, quietly steering conversations the way they want it to go. There's a great Frontline on this you can watch on their website

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...rsuaders/view/

If you cant stand delusion and ignornace, please direct your zeal to more important issues.

Poverty
Hunger
Terrorism
Anti Semitism

Or is the format war more important?

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #26 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bboisvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

The people here are obvious exceptions to those rules.

Then how do you explain the large number of "classic" titles released so far, if -- as you say -- people interested in those films are exceptions and are not early adopters?
bboisvert is offline  
post #27 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


If you cant stand delusion and ignornace, please direct your zeal to more important issues.

Poverty
Hunger
Terrorism
Anti Semitism

Or is the format war more important?

Who says I don't?

[quote[Then how do you explain the large number of "classic" titles released so far, if -- as you say -- people interested in those films are exceptions and are not early adopters? [/quote]

Oh for pete's....it's not a centerpiece of titles that they're looking to sell big. Stuff like Robin hood is universally beloved, and appeals to a lot of the action buyers. The King and I does not. That was the point I was trying to make. End of story. Of course classics have a place, I have piles of them and I'm not even 30. Lawrence, Kwai, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, Dr. Zhivago, all in my top HD purchase list.
WickyWoo is offline  
post #28 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
patrick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
patrick99 is offline  
post #29 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kanata, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Wow ... This war might be over sooner than even I had hoped...
Ilka is offline  
post #30 of 131 Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wait to see how they try to spin that one
WickyWoo is offline  
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off