Lion's Gate says no to HD DVD; Fox sells 70k discs/week; PS3 ratio: 6 movies per unit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242599,00.html

Quote:

"By the end of the first quarter, the format war is over," he [Fox exec. Mike Dunn] said, noting Sony's recently released PlayStation 3 game console with a Blu-ray drive had boosted sales.

"I'm selling 70,000 discs a week. Sales are doubling every week. ... Average PS3 owners buy 6 discs," he said.

Lionsgate Entertainment (LGF) studio director Steve Beeks also ruled out producing dual mode disks.

"If we end up with one format and diminish the confusion that consumers will experience, we get to the end game more quickly," he said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 03:07 AM

I thought the BDA already announced victory. What's the delay now!
post #3 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 AM

Fox is getting really pathetic. It would be appreciated if they would just stop making **** up and putting out press releases.
post #4 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Format war ends by 3/31/07? - I think summer will be telling but I'm not ready to call it a victory quite this soon.
post #5 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
post #6 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Wish Fox would stop with the idiotic press releases and start putting some more supplements on their 50 GB discs.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #7 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

why is this pathetic? fox only claims facts. feel free to warner etc to do the same. but they wont. why? maybe fox just tells the truth. just that the ball aint in hd-dvd court it is suddenly pathetic?

you know what is pathetic. universal announching........... echo echo almost nothing. that is pathetic.
post #8 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 AM

FOX ROCKS!!!

They've emerged as a co-leader of the blu-team, along with Sony

Blu-ray fans can't thank FOX enough for their relentless efforts. FOX will get more of my money in the coming months

Thank you FOX!!
post #9 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 AM

Fox are complete liars.
post #10 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Big reason Fox sold that many titles is due to Google offer. I will not buy Fox discs at their current price.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #11 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Since i have both, i hate the fact that they are announcing victory...... they just dont get it..... bring out all the movies you want but if consumers dont buy the players or cant afford the players, why buy the freaking movies.....

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #12 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't believe them.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #13 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn, I better mark my calendar for March, since this seems the magic date when I should drop my HD-DVD library and move over to Blu-Ray.

Or not.

-Josh Murrah
post #14 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

IF there were 6 blu-ray movies sold per PS3 since the launch of the PS3 then that would be about 6 million units sold since mid November, and most units didn't start appearing till last month.

THATS FREAKING CRAZY!!! I really dont' think thats possible at this point. If that was true then I think every store would be sold out of blu-ray titles right now, but the blu-ray shelves look like they have the same amount of disks on the shelves that I see every week I pass buy in every store.

post #15 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra View Post

FOX ROCKS!!!

They've emerged as a co-leader of the blu-team, along with Sony

Blu-ray fans can't thank FOX enough for their relentless efforts. FOX will get more of my money in the coming months

Thank you FOX!!

Yeh, thank you Fox for your fine/consistent (sarcasm) support:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rocky.html

Quote:

Final Thoughts
'Rocky' has become such an indelible part of our culture that it is easy to forget how good a film it really is. So just erase the memories of those ludicrous sequels from your mind, and reacquaint yourself with the greatest of all cinematic prizefighters. As a Blu-ray release, this disc is barely passable. Sure, the remastered transfer and soundtrack are fine, but for a true modern classic, it deserved a better restoration, and the complete lack of extras is vexing.

post #16 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Huh? I'm completely confused by these numbers. HD-DVD has only SHIPPED 1.5 million discs and now fox is saying the average PS3 person has 6? That's 6,000,000 discs. And fox is selling 70,000 per week. So, fox is telling us that in 7 weeks, they have sold 490,000 discs (it's way less than that) or less than 8.5% of all the total blu-ray discs? Somehow these numbers aren't adding up.

My guess is when they say 6 blu-ray discs for an average PS3, they are including A. Talladaga nights and B. all games since those are on blu-ray as well.

Chris
post #17 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Last I checked there games attach rate is pretty low as well. Even if you included talledega nights thats still not happening.

post #18 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, fox is telling us that in 7 weeks, they have sold 490,000 discs (it's way less than that) or less than 8.5% of all the total blu-ray discs? Somehow these numbers aren't adding up.

I'm sure he IS sellling 70,000 discs a week, for the past 2 weeks.

Again though, everyone has access to VideoScan in the industry, so if Fox is lying the Shennanigans meter will go through the roof and Toshiba will scream bloody murder. So there at least has to be enough truth there to keep them down.

I am curious where the whole "6 discs" is coming from though, that does seem awfully high for so soon.
post #19 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

People are actually taking what Fox says as "fact"?

That there's funny, I don't care who y'are...

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #20 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I bet they're hoping that 3/31/07 is before the Chinese HD DVD players come out. I really think they are scared by the onslaught of cheap HD DVD machines that are supposedly coming out.

Paul Seng
post #21 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post

People are actually taking what Fox says as "fact"?

That there's funny, I don't care who y'are...

The problem is that other companies might take those things and post them as facts. People might look at fake numbers and use that for there buying decision.

post #22 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Huh? I'm completely confused by these numbers. HD-DVD has only SHIPPED 1.5 million discs and now fox is saying the average PS3 person has 6? That's 6,000,000 discs.

I have no idea how Fox came up with these numbers. Since HD DVD outsold Blu-ray in 2006 by 2:1* (see the thread about the press conference) there's no way the above numbers could even remotely be true.

*the 2:1 figure comes from Warner, a format neutral studio, which makes the number more believable than the ones Fox is spitting out.

Also, think about it: not everybody who owns a PS3 buys movies, I think we can agree on that.
Let's say 25% of all PS3 owners are very interested in buying Blu-ray movies (even though I think this number is too high). In order for the average of 6 movies / PS3 to be true, those 25% would have had to buy 24 movies each. Over a period of six weeks. Yeah, right.
post #23 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
This format "war" isn't about fair and open competition. We did know this going in. The studios appear intransigent and either have agreements with BD (for how long who knows) or have completely bought into BD, whether the consumer agrees or not. If HD DVD sells 5 million cheap players, what then? May be nothing! It may be time for MS or Toshiba to buy a studio like Sony did.

If I were HD DVD here's what I would do: 1) Universal goes combo only (no SD DVDs) and sell them for a DVD price; 2) flood the market asap with really cheap players (put real lmeaning into the word subsidize) and give one away with every Toshiba etc. T.V. sold; 3) put some money on the table and buy support (money talks and everything else walks); pay the BBs and CCs to push your product hard; and keep HD DVD region-free and encourage imports of BD only North American titles that are HD DVD in Europe and make them easily available (even subsidize them) in North America and do the same in Europe if necessary.

Cheers,

Grant
post #24 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 07:02 AM

Fox forgot to mention that their figures include all ps3 games sold to date.

Hence "Discs" and not "movies"

p-r-o-p-a-g-a-n-d-a

I guess when you have so much business support behind you and no one is buying your product except when you sell the players at a massive loss you have to start lieing to make it seem like everything is ok.
post #25 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

Yeah, that is why I don't believe for a second the HD DVD numbers. HD DVD group are notorious liars and sales are probably much lower.

Check out WB's numbers. They are neutral!
post #26 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fox forgot to mention that their figures include all ps3 games sold to date.

Hence "Discs" and not "movies"

p-r-o-p-a-g-a-n-d-a

Very likely the correct answer. But all press releases are propoganda. I wouldn't be shocked if it also included BD-R blanks, up to and including the ones that have been selling in Japan for years

The 70,000 a week is probably NOT bull, at least since Christmas
post #27 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

I don't believe them.

- Tom

LOL. Who really knows ... but to be fair to the other side ... the Meridian retraction was interesting. Heads will likely roll in various marketing departments for that one. Almost as interesting as that chart showing 2010/2011. ROFL.
post #28 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This PS3 owner has 7, is buying another 6 by the end of February, and will have close to thirty by early summer. I do have two HD DVD movies for the 360 add on though. But the movies I want to see are on Blu-Ray, and it is going to get at least 90% of my money this year. Bond, Spiderman, Disney, and I'll probably just go ahead and buy the Warner movies on BD. I will get some Universal titles for HD DVD.

If Universal goes neutral though, no reason to support HD DVD anymore. I have both, but content rules so you can count me as a Blu-Ray supporter.
post #29 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

why is this pathetic? fox only claims facts.

Sales are doubling *every* week? Using his 70,000 number, that would mean 1.1 million discs a week by the end of the month. By the end of February, we'd be looking at 18 billion discs a week. Think that's accurate? Or do you think that (assuming the 70,000 is correct), they'll be selling a remarkably similar # per week a few months from now? It's all hyperbole.

(Note that his numbers would also mean that BD was selling just 4000 titles a week a month ago... think that's accurate too? His numbers are crap.)

Another great 'fact' claimed by Fox? BD will sell 3.5x more titles than HD by March. That isn't a fact.

Another one? HD DVD will see ZERO growth for the entire first quarter of 2007. Again, not a fact. Not even a realistic guess.

Just about everything from them this week has been guesswork, fantasy, and intentionally deceptive wording. When they should be talking about how BD sales have impressively (and finally!) started to catch up to HD DVD... when they should be announcing lots of cool titles... they're instead making an absolute laughingstock of themselves.

They're doing a disservice to the entire format with their ridiculous assertions. When March comes around and HD DVD hasn't collapsed -- won't that look like a BD failure? Frankly, I prefer Universal's approach: Shut the fcuk up and just keep releasing quality titles.
post #30 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They're doing a disservice to the entire format with their ridiculous assertions. When March comes around and HD DVD hasn't collapsed -- won't that look like a BD failure? Frankly, I prefer Universal's approach: Shut the fcuk up and just keep releasing quality titles.

See though, the claims they're making is not a collapse in 3 months, merely that they'll be kicking the crap out of them by then.

HD-DVD won't die until their contracts run out. Not this year, and probably not next. There will never be a formal withdrawel, just the supply of discs will start dwindling and slowly go down to nothing
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page