Why is blu-ray software more expensive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just came from Target to try to find the "Eagles, Live from Melbourne", but noticed something I've never really picked up on before:

Blu-ray and HD DVD disks were being displayed side by side. Each format had 3 columns of disks of 6 rows (slim pickings for both formats )
On the HD DVD side 15 of the 18 were priced 19.99, 3 were priced 29.99 all of which I believe were Combo disks.
However, on the Blu-ray side only 4 of the 18 were priced at 19.99, the other 14 were 29.99.

Now I had always thought each format would be priced the same, but it now appears Blu-ray titles are more expensive on average. Is this a random event, or does it look like consumers will have to pay more for the blu-ray titles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You should have checked how many of the BD's were Fox disks. They've set their srp at $39.99, so if they were neutral, you'd have seen some more expensive HD-DVDs.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

You should have checked how many of the BD's were Fox disks. They've set their srp at $39.99, so if they were neutral, you'd have seen some more expensive HD-DVDs.

Before there were any Fox BD's in the Targets I shop at, neary all the BD's were $29.99 . One day, I noted that all but 3 BD's were $29.99 . It's usually just the inverse for the HD-DVD prices, give or take a title....

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I've noticed that Target always has more inexpensive HD DVDs save for the combo formats which are the same amount as the BDs typically.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Not, really although I've seen a few high HD-DVDs at Best Buy $39.99 for fearless many of the new combos going for $34.99. Made me switch to amazon those high prices on both format could kill them all together. $35 for the HD version and 16.99 for the dvds. Just craZy. The average person will not want any part of those prices.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never checked the Fox titles, but it's true they appear to have the highest MSRP of a non-combo or multi disc title.
Why is this the case? Is Fox trying to cater to the folks with more money? Is it greed? Or is it a manufacturing cost issue?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
here is a good explanation by Amir
I can see why blue ray discs will cost more to replicate.
God help bluray owners if ever hddvd went belly up
It would mean no competition and prices would go up I am sure.

here's Amir's reply

For HD DVD there is zero constraint. HD DVD lines are same as DVD lines and are able to crank out titles at the same massive rate. There are many, many replicators around the world who are already producing HD DVDs. Indeed, any modern DVD line that you buy is liable to be able to make both DVDs and HD DVDs.

BD of course, is no where close to above. Its lines can only make BD. And while some independent replicators have produced BD-25 discs, their yields and cycle time (how long it takes to make a disc) sharply lags HD DVD (even Sony claims cycle time of 4+ seconds compared to 2.5 for DVD/HD DVD). BD-50 is much more problematic with Sony/MEI the only two producing them although others are trying to get online. But even if they do produce them, the yields and cycle time are in a different class than what is needed for true mass production.

Having said all of this, the market for BD products is really small relative to DVD. So BD has not yet faced this issue head on. However, if they want to meet their grand forecast, they might face issues here with BD-50.

Quote:
300 new titles this year for each format is likely to max out the available capacity.

Not for HD DVD. We could produce 30,000 titles and it would be no big deal. Note from above that if more capacity is needed, new lines can be purchases which can produce both HD DVD and DVDs (you can switch between them in as little as 5 minutes). So the investment is very protected.

BD however, requires dedicated investment in new lines so it is much riskier for replicator to spend the money. As such, if demand picks up, they may have issues scaling.

Now, before Talk or whoever jumps on these comments, I like them to produce exact figures for their yields and cycle time, as verified by independent replicators - not their own claims.

Quote:
How are both camps to cope if the formats gain mass market traction this year?

Per above, we are ready and fully capable, worldwide, to meet increased demand. There is no issue here of asking one or two companies to make discs for you, and certainly you don't have to deal with your competitors to do so as is the case with BD.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page