post #91 of 2161 Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Point me to a 1080p front projector that supports 3D with shutter glasses. I was under the impression they needed a 120Hz vertical refresh rate and I have not found such a beast. Nvida cards are one thing, I prefer a disc player with this capability, not a SA PC. Can you see that over the horizon? I know Mits made some noise to this effect but that was it. Q2 is fast approaching and I have not heard of their blu-ray deck yet.

I believe all or most DLP projectors support 120hz.

Edit: Well, 120hz support may vary by projector, and not much testing has been done, but here is a 720p (Optoma HD70) that lists 120hz:

http://www.optomausa.com/product_det...product_id=294
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2161 Old 02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

This is still a long way off but it still is interesting, could see REAL 3D tvs in 5-10 years. many other ways to get 3D coming but this looks the coolest.

http://technology.newscientist.com/c...ine-news_rss20
post #93 of 2161 Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Point me to a 1080p front projector that supports 3D with shutter glasses. I was under the impression they needed a 120Hz vertical refresh rate and I have not found such a beast. Nvida cards are one thing, I prefer a disc player with this capability, not a SA PC. Can you see that over the horizon? I know Mits made some noise to this effect but that was it. Q2 is fast approaching and I have not heard of their blu-ray deck yet.

Well if your feeding the video projector from a computer you can gen lock the 60Hz signal to fire the shutter glass in sync. Or if you have some cash you could get a nice Barco Galaxy DLP projector with built in circular polarization Z-screen and use passive glasses.

http://www.barco.com/VirtualReality/...p?element=3978

Visual Effects Supervisor
3D Stereographer and Educator
http://www.danimation.com/
post #94 of 2161 Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
PLB

Liked: 11
Yesterday I rented the Beowolf DVD. I saw this feature one month ago in 3D. I remarked here that it was too dark. I assumed that this was a product of the dark polarized glasses and the fact that half the light of every frame is blocked.

Last night I watched the DVD (not Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) and discovered that it was still quite dark in 2D. I don't really know why that should be. I had expected it to be much brighter. Perhaps they want to match the brightness to the 3D version seen in theaters or perhaps its a way to hide the animation artifacts.

The bonus feature that shows how the movie was made, is hands down the best such feature I've ever seen. It is truly fascinating. Indeed its better than the movie itself.

I still have my doubts about 3D. I ended up spending nearly $100 to see the 3D version in the theater. I rented the DVD for $1.
post #95 of 2161 Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Wow, I'm glad my theater doesn't charge $100 a ticket. Something tells me you had a few other people with you....
post #96 of 2161 Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post

Yesterday I rented the Beowolf DVD. I saw this feature one month ago in 3D. I remarked here that it was too dark. I assumed that this was a product of the dark polarized glasses and the fact that half the light of every frame is blocked.

Last night I watched the DVD (not Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) and discovered that it was still quite dark in 2D. I don't really know why that should be. I had expected it to be much brighter. Perhaps they want to match the brightness to the 3D version seen in theaters or perhaps its a way to hide the animation artifacts.

The bonus feature that shows how the movie was made, is hands down the best such feature I've ever seen. It is truly fascinating. Indeed its better than the movie itself.

I still have my doubts about 3D. I ended up spending nearly $100 to see the 3D version in the theater. I rented the DVD for $1.

You have your doubts about 3D after seeing Beowulf? (And where did you see it for $100, the Moon? Lol!) I've only seen it in Real-D 3D (but I'm hoping it comes back to IMAX soon as I REALLY want to see it there) and I thought it was totally breathtaking. Also you should check out the features on HD DVD, the PIP is awesome! A lot of the PIP is showing you the exact same scenes as the main movie except played out in live-action with the actors with dots all over them, lol!

Stacy>>>>>>>>>>Fergie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne0rqn_VAOE

Kids Incorporated (original members)>>>>>>>>>>Any band since! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gbcgNhYC7M
post #97 of 2161 Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

the first wave of these new 3D movies are using new technology and will have some bugs.

plus the directors have to get all the 3D gimmicks out of there system first. then we can get back to straight movie making that just happens to be 3D.

i expect Avatar to be the first to use 3D in a more refined way.

the same thing happen when surround sound was first used, it was over used and felt unreal. it took time till they worked out a way to get a natural sound scape and give up on all the gimmicky sound effects.
post #98 of 2161 Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM

What specific capability does the IMAX theatre have that allows it to show 3D movies like Beowolf? Is it simply a matter of the resolution available?
I've seen it and thought the 3D effects were amazing
post #99 of 2161 Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 AM

Liked: 44
Magnetic and NEC partner to deliver 3D sans glasses

Quote:

While calling it the holy grail of 3D may be a stretch, there's no denying that the technology has been largely held back and (rightfully) seen as a gimmick due to the whole "unsightly glasses" requirement. Granted, this isn't the first time we've heard of 3D being experienced sans goggles, but the newfangled agreement between Magnetic and NEC could deliver just that to a display near you very soon. Reportedly, the duo is off demonstrating a 57-inch Enabl3D display at the Digital Signage Expo in Las Vegas, and while this iteration is admittedly aimed at commercial users, the promise of seeing imagery "pop more than a foot off the screen without the use of any special glasses" sure sounds intriguing. No word on when this stuff will be coming to everyday users, but don't be shocked to see marketers coming up with new ways to grab your attention (and frighten the young) with this in the near future.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/m...-sans-glasses/

There are TAGS for the different companies listed in the article - if interested, use the link
post #100 of 2161 Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Several more 3-D movies coming next year:

PIRANHA 3D (remake)
FINAL DESTINATION 4 in 3-D
MY BLOODY VALENTINE in 3-D (remake)
STEP UP 3-D

Hopefully these won't ALL blow....
post #101 of 2161 Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 AM
vsv
Advanced Member

Quote:

Christie Mirage 6000 Lumens 3-D Theater Projector DLP at US $3,999.99

CHRISTIE DIGITAL SYSTEMS MIRAGE 2000 DLP PROJECTOR at $2,999.00

replace asterix's with e b a y . c o m
post #102 of 2161 Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 PM
PLB

I tried to see Beowolf when it first came out. I called up an old girl friend who lived in Santa Rosa. I live in Oakland and the theater is in downtown SF. In order to make sure I could get tickets since we were likely to get to the theater close to the screening time, I ordred on-line. Those to tickets cost something like $35 to $45. She got caught in traffic and arrived at my house too late to make the curtain. There was no way to get a refund as far as I could tell.

Last month I was in town to get my cappucino maker repaired ($350 but that's another story). The work day was shot and I was in the City so went over to the Metreon to see if I could catch the first day's showing of Beowolf in 3D. The guy at the info desk said it started in an hour and a half so I decided to wait. When I went back the new guy at the desk said the other guy was wrong. It was still another hour and a half. I ate lunch - about $20. The movie only cost $10 (senior discount) or so but the parking was $15.

The Bay Bridge toll is $5.00 and gas costs me $3.91/gallon. So that's about another $5.00 for the trip into the city. Those costs probably should be pro-rated between the cappucino maker repair and the movie.

My grocery store has a Redbox DVD vending machine. They don't sell Blu-ray of HD-DVD but the SD DVDs are only $1.00 per day. In fact I didn' return it the next day but the day after. So my cost was two dollars and tax - figure $2.25.

So I suppose I exagerated a bit - that is unless you count my time as worthless. But if you price out my wasted time at a reasonable rate I underestimated the price difference between theater and home viewing.

However you do the cost accounting, the difference between Movie Theater and Home Theater is so great that it's hard to believe that 3D alone will ever get butts in theater seats again.
post #103 of 2161 Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
PLB

Edward Jay Epstein has a web site with some interesting figures about the movie industry. In the old days 100% of the revenues for a movie feature came from the box office. Today a motion picture company expects only about 15% of its revenues from the box office.

So even if 3D technology doubled the box office take, it might not matter. It would depand on the DVD revenues, the merchantdising, the game revenues, and the TV revenues. For example Beowolf in 3D and photo realististic animation is rather dark. Therefore the DVD and the TV versions will have less visual 'pop' than they otherwise might have had. If HBO bids for Beowolf it might pay less because the picture will not be very impressive on a small 2D screen.

On the other hand Beowolf looks a lot like a video game. Beowolf and most new games use similar animation techniques. So it is conceivable that Beowolf will do real well with its allied video game. However the 3D technology here is largely irrelevant. Its the photorealistic animation that counts.

So from a business standpoint, 3D may have helped Beowolf's box office revenues but it may have hurt the DVD and TV revenues and have been irrelevant to the video game revenues.

I'm no expert on how to make money currying to popular tastes but I do know that box office is much less important than it once was and that prognosticating about 3D as if only box office matters can't be right.
post #104 of 2161 Old 03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

If you don't think 3D is a big deal then how do you account for Hannah Montana 3D breaking records? I've never seen the TV show, is it really that good? Lol!

Kids Incorporated (original members)>>>>>>>>>>Any band since! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gbcgNhYC7M
post #105 of 2161 Old 03-01-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I saw the Hannah Montana 3D movie last week and it was pretty awesome (the 3D effect, not the movie). Most people without tweenagers have probably never heard of Hannah (Miley Cyrus), but anyways, I'd like to think 3D home releases will be the next big thing.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #106 of 2161 Old 03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I saw the Hannah Montana 3D movie last week and it was pretty awesome (the 3D effect, not the movie). Most people without tweenagers have probably never heard of Hannah (Miley Cyrus), but anyways, I'd like to think 3D home releases will be the next big thing.

I was thinking the same thing! After seeing a few movies in Real-D 3D and IMAX 3D I really want this quality 3D at home soon! (Even though I haven't even paid off my HDTV yet, lol!)

post #107 of 2161 Old 03-02-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalSlacker View Post

What specific capability does the IMAX theatre have that allows it to show 3D movies like Beowolf? Is it simply a matter of the resolution available?
I've seen it and thought the 3D effects were amazing

None. The IMAX theater must have a dual projector system. Not all IMAX theaters have dual projectors. The great thing about IMAX 3D is the large format of the film fills your vision and allows for greater 3D "pop" than at a Real-D theater (which requires 1 DLP based projector.) Larger imagery size is directly proportional to the amount of 3D effect you perceive. Smaller screens will be less pronounced. Also, IMAX has more light throw than regular DLP and film projectors. You lose 60% - 80% of the light through the polarization process the more light you start with the better the final image.

Visual Effects Supervisor
3D Stereographer and Educator
http://www.danimation.com/
post #108 of 2161 Old 03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Your links don't work. I used google to find these beasts and the cost of the bulb is the price you mention. The PJ is $79,999 and throws 6000 and 12,000 lumens. I need 600 for my home theater. 6000 might just start my screen on fire or make me blind.

Also, I would prefer a 1080p for this home use. I am in contact with some engineers at TI and they don't predict home theater use for a couple of years.
post #109 of 2161 Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

I really don't see what ancillary stuff like the cost and difficulty of finding a parking spot have to do with 3-D; these same situations occur when leaving your house for any reason.

I guess some people will find a problem to complain about no matter what the situation.

As far a 3-D selling tickets, it's been happening for several years now. As stated before, in markets where both flat and 3-D versions of a movie have played, the 3-D version has been selling on average three times the number of tickets.

Will 3-D alone save the movie business? Of course not. It's simply one part of the mix. Better movies is the best way!
post #110 of 2161 Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
PLB

Parking cost seems to me to be exactly on point.

The current 3D phenomenon is motivated by those who see Home Theater as the problem - i.e. a technology that keeps people out of movie theaters. Read the comments by James Cameron, George Lucas, or Steven Speilberg. They are desparately seeking some means to re-establish movie theater attendance. All three think 3D might just be it.

As I have said earlier on this thread I believe 3D technology will not save movie theater attendance. For several reasons:
  • 3D will be available at home also
  • Home 3D may very well be better
  • Demographics (parking) can't be reversed

DLP Home Theater projectors are fast enough to allow active (shutter) glasses. Some witnesses testify that such a set up is very, very good. It probably is the case that movie theaters will never use active glasses. The current passive polarized glasses seem to result in a dim, dark picture. Therfore it seems likely that if 3D proves to be more than just a passing fad it may very well be better appreciated in your Home Theater rather than in a public movie theater.

Parking is one of the symtoms of irreversible demographic change. When I was little I went to the movies very often. That meant I walked. Theaters were so common that even if I had a driver's license I wouldn't have driven. Indeed up until about fifteen years ago I still usually walked to the movies. I drove to work every day but at least three first run movie theaters were just a few blocks away - why drive?

So consider 3D technology as a means of getting me back into a movie theater seat. There is only one 3d DLP theater in the whole San Francisco Bay Area. I could get there on a BART train or I could drive across the Bay Bridge. If I want to go to a suburban movie theater, there are still some and they are easy to drive to and park for free. But they don't have 3D. If I want to see a 3D movie it's a major expedition and expense.

I like the idea of 3D but I don't see it being very sucessful as long as it is so difficult to get to and so expensive. I don't believe it will spread to the suburban multiplexes either. Digital DLP movie venues appear to be retreating not advancing. Fewer and fewer new releases are being shown digitally in the handful of theaters that have invested in DLP equipment. It was obvious to me three years ago that DLP Cinema looked better than regular projected film. However I seem to be the only one who cares. The theaters have not put in more DLP projectors.

People on this forum care about projection quality but the public as a whole seems indifferent. People who care about PJ and 3D are likely to have a Home Theater. This is the first reason why public theater 3D is doomed. Parking is the second.
post #111 of 2161 Old 03-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:

The current 3D phenomenon is motivated by those who see Home Theater as the problem - i.e. a technology that keeps people out of movie theaters. Read the comments by James Cameron, George Lucas, or Steven Speilberg. They are desparately seeking some means to re-establish movie theater attendance. All three think 3D might just be it.

As I have said earlier on this thread I believe 3D technology will not save movie theater attendance. For several reasons:

DLP Home Theater projectors are fast enough to allow active (shutter) glasses. Some witnesses testify that such a set up is very, very good. It probably is the case that movie theaters will never use active glasses. The current passive polarized glasses seem to result in a dim, dark picture. Therfore it seems likely that if 3D proves to be more than just a passing fad it may very well be better appreciated in your Home Theater rather than in a public movie theater.

Parking is one of the symtoms of irreversible demographic change. When I was little I went to the movies very often. That meant I walked. Theaters were so common that even if I had a driver's license I wouldn't have driven. Indeed up until about fifteen years ago I still usually walked to the movies. I drove to work every day but at least three first run movie theaters were just a few blocks away - why drive?

So consider 3D technology as a means of getting me back into a movie theater seat. There is only one 3d DLP theater in the whole San Francisco Bay Area. I could get there on a BART train or I could drive across the Bay Bridge. If I want to go to a suburban movie theater, there are still some and they are easy to drive to and park for free. But they don't have 3D. If I want to see a 3D movie it's a major expedition and expense.

I like the idea of 3D but I don't see it being very sucessful as long as it is so difficult to get to and so expensive. I don't believe it will spread to the suburban multiplexes either. Digital DLP movie venues appear to be retreating not advancing. Fewer and fewer new releases are being shown digitally in the handful of theaters that have invested in DLP equipment. It was obvious to me three years ago that DLP Cinema looked better than regular projected film. However I seem to be the only one who cares. The theaters have not put in more DLP projectors.

People on this forum care about projection quality but the public as a whole seems indifferent. People who care about PJ and 3D are likely to have a Home Theater. This is the first reason why public theater 3D is doomed. Parking is the second.

Would you consider Sunrise, Florida a surburban area? The Sawgrass Multiplex is currently equipped and showing 3D films like U2 in 3D and that Hanna Montana movie.

Parking is never an issue - it is part of a very large mall.
post #112 of 2161 Old 03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Although there will be home 3D and hopefully it will be fairly soon it won't be that soon and there's no way it will be as good as IMAX 3D anytime soon, maybe not even as good as Real-D. Plus the average consumer doesn't have a home theatre set up (I don't, I just have a 1080P HDTV and cheap 5.1 speakers) so even if you can get decent 3D soon with that it's not really going to effect cinemas. Like someone pointed out, when films are out in both 2D and 3D the 3D versions are increasingly getting a lot more ticket sales than the 2D versions.

post #113 of 2161 Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evev12 View Post

Everybody's heard of the new 3D HDTV @ CEMA but I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on all of the emerging 3D technologies out there. Please post any knowledge you have or experiences you've had with any of the upcomming/already existing conversion units, peripherals, software, etc...(In particular HDTV compatible 3D). Stereoscopic HD is just about ready to knock on our door - hopefully it won't come with a price tag of $50,000 and leave our heads feeling like they've been beaten with an ice pick.

I've been doing a bunch of reading and speaking on this topic - Here's what I've found so far. A company named Sensio seems to have the most promising tech. for now (at least that which can be mass produced). Supposedly great results without the instant migrane - anyone who's seen it, or knows more about it, please fill us in.

Sensio: http://www.sensio.tv/en/default.3d

P.S. Please excuse me if this thread is not in the exact location it should be in, I wasn't exactly sure on where to post it.

Very interesing but what is this technology? Is it similar to the blue/red frame separation then you wear 3d glasses?
post #114 of 2161 Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

Very interesing but what is this technology? Is it similar to the blue/red frame separation then you wear 3d glasses?

This is the actual movie that you responded to . . the link:

It is a German Import and expensive. It is the only 3D HD movie I am aware of.

This is the process:

post #115 of 2161 Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Digital DLP movie venues appear to be retreating not advancing. Fewer and fewer new releases are being shown digitally in the handful of theaters that have invested in DLP equipment.

Really? Seems like the opposite to me. I just went to a brand new theater that opened yesterday in Gig Harbor, Washington and they are all digital. They have another theater near me that has digital in every theater and it seems like they show pretty much all the new releases with DLP projectors. A few years ago a film being released on digital was a big thing and I would look at the TI website to see which movies would be released in digital. Now I think the rarity is that a big movie isn't available to digital theaters.

Also, The Polar Express made significantly more per theater in 3D theaters than regular 2D theaters. Beowulf was also making more in 3D theaters after it came out, but I think it was partially a victim of bad timing, where it was just before the big Christmas movies came out and screen space was scarce enough that the 3D capable theaters mostly dropped Beowulf in 3D to show a 2D movie. And recently the Hannah Montana concert has made over $63 million exclusively on 3D screens. I'm sure that helped some theaters justify their investment in a 3D setup and made some others think that maybe they should jump in soon, with many 3D things in production (and both Toy Story movies scheduled to be shown in 3D leading up to the third one being released in 3D).

Spielberg may be able to slow the move to digital projection down a little if the upcoming Indiana Jones movie won't be available for digital theaters, but I doubt he can slow it down too much. There are ways for the studios to use 3D to protect their movies from piracy early in their run and I expect that enough of the studios would like to see both digital projection and 3D take off that things will continue advancing in that direction. Looks like James Cameron could play a big role in 3D in theaters taking off and that helps the push for digital projection also. I won't be surprised if just the trailer for Avatar ends up being a big deal where many people go to 3D theaters largely to see a trailer for it in 3D.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #116 of 2161 Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Really? Seems like the opposite to me. I just went to a brand new theater that opened yesterday in Gig Harbor, Washington and they are all digital. They have another theater near me that has digital in every theater and it seems like they show pretty much all the new releases with DLP projectors.............

Correct.
In fact, it has had an unexpected chicken-egg effect, so to speak..in regards to post-production by some studios.

You see, prior to the theatrical presentation of American Gangster, Uni preferred to abstain from digital releases of feature films made without a digital intermediate (American Gangster). This was because it is an expensive, time-consuming complicated process to produce a digital cinema master without a digital intermediate in the production pipeline. Well, so happens that when it was coming around the time for the theatrical debut of American Gangster, some theater outlets had already donated their film projectors to the sherpas in the Himalayas and they only had DLPs in their auditoriums. They informed people at Universal Pictures as such now, envision a bunch of chickens running around with their heads' cutoff rather than porcelain deer (inside joke).

Long story short, the Digital Cinema Package was completed less than 5 days before the film's nationwide release. Moral of the Story.*don't rely on an HD telecine master to create a Digital Cinema master*. Jerry Pierce could have told em that.
post #117 of 2161 Old 03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Some of the post here are just ridiculous. Parking is the enemy of 3-D!

Let's apply this strange logic across the board....

I am sure all restaraunts will soon fail because people can eat at home and not have to fight the traffic. etc

Meanwhile, the digital installation deals and 3-D movie announcements just keep on coming.
post #118 of 2161 Old 03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Some of the post here are just ridiculous. Parking is the enemy of 3-D!

Let's apply this strange logic across the board....

I am sure all restaraunts will soon fail because people can eat at home and not have to fight the traffic. etc

Meanwhile, the digital installation deals and 3-D movie announcements just keep on coming.

I stubbed my toe while going to see a 3D movie once. 3D cinema is dead!

post #119 of 2161 Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Beyond recession talk, 3-D technology and its importance to each studio's 2008 slate and beyond took centerstage.

Over at Fox, the next "Ice Age" installment and James Cameron's "Avatar" are massive tentpole titles that will raise the studio's 3-D profile. Marcoly touted the huge opening for Disney's recent "Hannah Montana" concert film and said the studio's '09 slate has five properties slated for 3-D. And Cripps reiterated that, at this point, all Par and DreamWorks films are, at the very least, being authored with 3-D technology.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=2502&cs=1

That is the only part of the article that discusses 3D.
post #120 of 2161 Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Universal, Fox, Paramount and Disney announced a deal yesterday at Showest in which they will help pay for the cost of installing 10,000 additional digital/3-D sets ups in the next three years. Warner and Sony were expected to announce they will be joining also.

The huge box office for a slew of recent 3-D features as well as three dozen 3-D movies in the works were given as the reason for this $700 million investment.

10,000 ADDITIONAL Digital 3-D ready screens by 2011.

Wait till these guys hear about that PARKING problem! They'll just DIE!
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page