Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

No. I believe there was a rep from Meridian who came to the Insiders Thread to specifically say that what Amir has posted about working with Meridian on a player was true. FWIW.

Looks like the FUD being spread by some of the BD folks on this forum spread to you as well (unfortunately).

Working on a Meridian player or another brand player? I've read other articles where it indicated Meridian was helping but they didn't say they were working on there own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can anyone tell me if the sales numbers also count the BD and HD-DVD discs bundled with the PS3 and Xbox360 add-on to be individual sales or are they disregarded?
post #453 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There is a major factor that is not getting enough discussion: the perceived need to end the format war.

The studios and especially the retailers are very upset about this format war. It has complicated their lives and greatly reduced their sales.

This December, retailers saw a 101% increase in HDTV's being sold. Reports this January are that the usual "Super Bowl" crowds of buyers of big TV's are much larger than usual.

We are further facing the fact that two years from now, NTSC broadcasts will be going away. Everyone thinks that a huge number of new HDTV's will be sold in this time frame. This is a great opportunity to sell hd players.

So, we have the odd situation that a lot of new hd sets, but few new hd players selling with them.
== Retailers are hopping mad about this. They want the format war to be over.
== The studios, disappointed in their overall hd sales, realize that the format war must end.

I think that retailers and the studios are ready to take the matter into their own hands and virtually declare a winner.

This news about Blu-ray sales does not come in a vacuum. We saw at CES that the Blu-ray studios all held firm and in fact virtually declared victory. None of the Blu-ray studios went neutral, although many were predicting that they would. It was not that they were so happy with existing sales Blu-ray, or even the "just OK" PS3 launch. It is that they feel a need to hitch their wagon to some star or another and get on with it.

When I visit retailers, I am seeing a real Blu-ray bias in presentation and pricing. Circuit City doesn't seem to even have HD DVD disks or players. Best Buy features Blu-ray and side-steps HD DVD. Given the larger number of Blu-ray players and more "favorable" margins, who can blame them?

I can well imagine that retailers will now be telling their customers that the "format war is all but over, Blu-ray is winning the sales war, has more titles, etc.". This is a pitch that is much more likely to make a sale than a complete explanation of all of the details of the format war as we know them.

HD DVD failed last year to attract new CE or studio support. For a few months, HD DVD had momentum, and they didn't go anywhere with it. It may now be too late.

The one important development for HD DVD announced at CES was Microsoft's efforts to get Chinese manufacturers into the mix with cheap players. This is their best strategy at this point: sell cheap players, show that software sales increase, get studios to change their minds. However, it runs a risk with many of the nation's retailers, who will consider the introduction of cheap players to be an affront to their normal sales strategies.

Retailers can spin this by calling Blu-ray the quality product supported by the major manufacturers, with HD DVD being the "bargain basement also-ran" that isn't as good. With titles like Spiderman, Pirates, Cars, etc., to back them up, they can make this case.

All the more reason for them to push Blu-ray now and hope to put an end to this mess.

[I should add that, while I believe Blu-ray to be the better format, there isn't really much difference and I don't much care who wins the format war personally. But it is time to make something happen. As a consumer, I know that I am never going to see the variety of titles that I want until this format war is resolved. ]
post #454 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan View Post

Having said that, I thought if you included 360 add-on sales HD was in the vicinity of 250-270k units?

They might be by now, but the statement from the HD DVD group around CES listed the different players, including the add-on with the XBOX360 and laptops and said that they estimated that these got them to over 175k in North America (or words to that effect).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #455 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

When will these mysterious Chinese arrive exactly and how can Toshiba recoup their investment while destroyed by Chinese players in the consumer market?

If the Chinese players use the MS-Broadcom reference design, then it is not exactly mysterious. As for recoup investment, they need to establish the format first. If they lose, they get nothing.

HDPLEX
post #456 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

I was responding to a post by Mr. JBlacklow who was questioning why I would be interested in sales volume since I didn't bring it up when HD DVD was ahead. So that is why you may have been puzzled...

In any case, do you know for a fact that what HMR was reporting was free data? If yes, how come they didn't publish anything while HD DVD was ahead? Perhaps they did, but I can't seem to find in on HMR! I agree on the top ranking of titles, these are provided by Videoscan and have been reported by multiple sites on a regular basis. I have no problems with that.

However, IF HMR provides sales updates from Videoscan on a regular basis, I will buy the fact that they are an unbiased site and are merely reporting what they are finding. Otherwise, they are simply massaging information (not data) to propogate BD.

That is just my humble opinion. I also found it strange that they would use this data and in their following issue follow up with a research analyst to talk about why BD will win. Not only that, but the researcher in question:

1. Dismissed the impact of Chinese Players in the cost of hardware.

2. Did not even mention MSFT, but only Universal and Toshiba as backers of HD DVD

3. Talked about $400 BD players, when none have been announced and even Sony said they did not see this happening for 2-3 years...

These are musings of a pre-determined supporter of one format v. another. Nothing wrong if it came from a FOx rep. But not when it comes from a supposed neutral media avenue...

My 2 cents...

Gotcha'.

You didn't use quotes and I believe your respective posts were pretty far apart so it was confusing.

1. Don't know if the data was free. It certainly sounds like the kind of data that they do give away for free.

I have no idea of the bias of HMR, nor, quite honestly do I care. The data they reported does appear to be Nielsen's and it speaks for itself.

Of course sales figures would be great and may tell a different story.

Apparently you and JBlacklow have a difference of opinion that I have no stake in so I will excuse myself from the conversation.
post #457 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Working on a Meridian player or another brand player? I've read other articles where it indicated Meridian was helping but they didn't say they were working on there own.

The Meridian rep came on here specifically to quash those other articles, what more do you want? It was a one time post, something they do not intend to do any more of and only did it on request of Amir who had to do it because too many people refuse to believe him.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
post #458 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM

I posted before plazman edited his post. It was a simple question hdkhang.

Thanks plazman.
post #459 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

I thought that Meridian announcement was false. No?

No . It was true. A new insider MerdianHQ from Oxford, England verified it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeridianHQ
Just to clear this up:

1) Amir's statements at CES regarding Meridian were correct.
2) Meridian's position has been made clear in the release on our media server. (apologies, this BB seems not to want us to put a url since we are 'new'!)
3) Our interest should not be a surprise since Meridian has been deeply involved in the development and standardisation of HD (and BD) specifications, of tool sets and of peripheral technologies, through our work on the lossless coding.
4) We apologise that a member of our CES crew did not have the whole story and made comments that caused confusion.

However, and to stem any ongoing discussion, please note that Meridian has a general policy not to pre-announce specific models, price ranges, availability or feature sets for any of the several product categories we have in regular development.

There was then a link requested to the Meridian internal press site.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #460 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Can anyone tell me if the sales numbers also count the BD and HD-DVD discs bundled with the PS3 and Xbox360 add-on to be individual sales or are they disregarded?

At least PS3 in store now have no bundle discs, so the 7% increase for BD sales in 1 week in Jan is clean.
post #461 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

They might be by now
--Darin

Let's assume 20% PS3 are effective volume for bluray player and add-on could negate half of that.

Just treat 10% PS3 as CE player and take the gamers and add-on out of the equation tend to make guesswork easy. Of course, no matter how you play with the numbers, bluray will for sure win the >$500 market by a decent margin. The question is how fast HD DVD players could brake the $250 price point before Universal blinks and is that enough to compete with the above $500 market.

HDPLEX
post #462 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Gotcha'.

You didn't use quotes and I believe your respective posts were pretty far apart so it was confusing.

1. Don't know if the data was free. It certainly sounds like the kind of data that they do give away for free.

I have no idea of the bias of HMR, nor, quite honestly do I care. The data they reported does appear to be Nielsen's and it speaks for itself.

Of course sales figures would be great and may tell a different story.

Apparently you and JBlacklow have a difference of opinion that I have no stake in so I will excuse myself from the conversation.

If I use my PDA it doesn't attach the post I am replying to. So there is a loss in context.....
post #463 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

His PM to me when I was trying to get his link to work was it be a Meridian branded player.

FWIW that was consistent with what Amirm had to say on the subject.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #464 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

No . It was true. A new insider MerdianHQ from Oxford, England verified it.

There was then a link requested to the Meridian internal press site.

Roger

EDIT: And FWIW, I certainly meant no FUD spreading. Just misinformed as Plaz said.
post #465 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkhang View Post

The Meridian rep came on here specifically to quash those other articles, what more do you want? It was a one time post, something they do not intend to do any more of and only did it on request of Amir who had to do it because too many people refuse to believe him.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang

The MeridianHQ insider said that he would post from time to time and was now following the discussion on AVS and would take possibly take questions on the insider thread, but would reserve the right to not answer them.

follow me on Twitter
post #466 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 PM

I wonder if they are now getting cold feet with the HMR report and analyst report
post #467 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
BTW Grubert

I bet you just knew that this thread would grow real quickly when you posted it didn't you

Anycase, some 2c coins thrown into the discussion.

When Grubert mentioned many gamers download movies off P2P, he did not specifically imply that they downloaded HD ripped movies, most gamers (and indeed non gamers) are still happy having a DivX/XviD etc. collection of movies at sub SD resolutions. They still have their DVD players of course, and their token DVD movie collections.

When I hit the stores to grab some entertainment goodies, I'm not thinking budget so much, but looking for stuff to check out. If there is a game i want to buy I'll grab it if I feel like I'd actually play it. If there are movies that are on sale I'd grab it if it looks remotely interesting, even if I wont be watching it in the foreseeable future. If I want both the games and the movies I'll grab both... but thats because I am not the typical consumer who has to allocate a budget to entertainment, I'm single, no kids, no mortgage etc. so don't really have to think about it all too much. Many 25 - 35 gamers are like me, but not enough of them to think that the PS3 movie buying habit will continue trending this way. For the trend to continue, there must be no more HD-DVD, price parity with DVD, lower hardware prices etc. etc.

I'd like for HD domination, any which way it happens. Buying DVD's nowadays feels like more of a waste of money than any one of the Hidef supporters who buy into their format. I'd much rather put money into the losing HiDef format than into more DVDs, unfortunately the situation in Aus isn't such that I'm willing to jump in just yet... not so much player prices (only choices are BD funnily enough), more so on the software, but mostly because I'd want to upgrade the projector first... once that's done... I'll be a late early adopter

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
post #468 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

There is a major factor that is not getting enough discussion: the perceived need to end the format war.

The studios and especially the retailers are very upset about this format war. It has complicated their lives and greatly reduced their sales.

This December, retailers saw a 101% increase in HDTV's being sold. Reports this January are that the usual "Super Bowl" crowds of buyers of big TV's are much larger than usual.

We are further facing the fact that two years from now, NTSC broadcasts will be going away. Everyone thinks that a huge number of new HDTV's will be sold in this time frame. This is a great opportunity to sell hd players.

So, we have the odd situation that a lot of new hd sets, but few new hd players selling with them.
== The studios, disappointed in their overall hd sales, realize that the format war must end.

I think that retailers and the studios are ready to take the matter into their own hands and virtually declare a winner.

This news about Blu-ray sales does not come in a vacuum. We saw at CES that the Blu-ray studios all held firm and in fact virtually declared victory. None of the Blu-ray studios went neutral, although many were predicting that they would. It was not that they were so happy with existing sales Blu-ray, or even the "just OK" PS3 launch. It is that they feel a need to hitch their wagon to some star or another and get on with it.

When I visit retailers, I am seeing a real Blu-ray bias in presentation and pricing. Circuit City doesn't seem to even have HD DVD disks or players. Best Buy features Blu-ray and side-steps HD DVD. Given the larger number of Blu-ray players and more "favorable" margins, who can blame them?

I can well imagine that retailers will now be telling their customers that the "format war is all but over, Blu-ray is winning the sales war, has more titles, etc.". This is a pitch that is much more likely to make a sale than a complete explanation of all of the details of the format war as we know them.

HD DVD failed last year to attract new CE or studio support. For a few months, HD DVD had momentum, and they didn't go anywhere with it. It may now be too late.

The one important development for HD DVD announced at CES was Microsoft's efforts to get Chinese manufacturers into the mix with cheap players. This is their best strategy at this point: sell cheap players, show that software sales increase, get studios to change their minds. However, it runs a risk with many of the nation's retailers, who will consider the introduction of cheap players to be an affront to their normal sales strategies.

Retailers can spin this by calling Blu-ray the quality product supported by the major manufacturers, with HD DVD being the "bargain basement also-ran" that isn't as good. With titles like Spiderman, Pirates, Cars, etc., to back them up, they can make this case.

All the more reason for them to push Blu-ray now and hope to put an end to this mess.

[I should add that, while I believe Blu-ray to be the better format, there isn't really much difference and I don't much care who wins the format war personally. But it is time to make something happen. As a consumer, I know that I am never going to see the variety of titles that I want until this format war is resolved. ]

Nicely stated.

I must say this is how I feel as well.

Thanks for doing all the work, rl.
post #469 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The packages under the tree were just opened a month ago. Does the average HD DVD owner buy all of his/her titles at once?

I would say no. They budget themselves; maybe one disc a week, maybe less, some more.

One significant issue to follow is the difference between initial attach rates and sustained ones. The big deal with the HD DVD attach rates is that people were continuing to buy movies after their initial purchase period. Most DVD purchasers buy a couple new movies with their player. But then the excitment drops off and their buying fever moderates. With HD DVD it look sto be fairly consistent over time. The open question is whether the PS3 attach rate over time for the PS3 movie watchers will be as consistent or if it would be more like DVD than HD DVD.

If the PS3 launch spike shows only a early purchase period attach rate but a much lower sustained attach rate then the relative HD DVD sales ratios could rebound.

follow me on Twitter
post #470 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkhang View Post

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang

I followed the Meridian issue carefully.

The most important point is that, whatever Meridian does or does not do in building a high-end player, is very unlikely to affect the format war: they will not deliver anything soon, and whatever they deliver will be too expensive to be of interest to all but a few customers.

If the studios and retailers have their way, the format war will be over long before Meridian delivers.
post #471 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I can well imagine that retailers will now be telling their customers that the "format war is all but over, Blu-ray is winning the sales war, has more titles, etc.". This is a pitch that is much more likely to make a sale than a complete explanation of all of the details of the format war as we know them

This is not true anymore as the HD A2 has started to reach Circuit City and other retailers and Toshiba has started to pay for retail placement and advertising.

follow me on Twitter
post #472 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One significant issue to follow is the difference between initial attach rates and sustained ones. The big deal with the HD DVD attach rates is that people were continuing to buy movies after their initial purchase period. Most DVD purchasers buy a couple new movies with their player. But then the excitment drops off and their buying fever moderates. With HD DVD it look sto be fairly consistent over time. The open question is whether the PS3 attach rate over time for the PS3 movie watchers will be as consistent or if it would be more like DVD than HD DVD.

If the PS3 launch spike shows only a early purchase period attach rate but a much lower sustained attach rate then the relative HD DVD sales ratios could rebound.

At the risk of sounding like Al Gore in the 2nd Bush debate...

I agree.

You're right, of course. The next few months will be interesting, indeed.
post #473 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I followed the Meridian issue carefully.

The most important point is that, whatever Meridian does or does not do in building a high-end player, is very unlikely to affect the format war: they will not deliver anything soon, and whatever they deliver will be too expensive to be of interest to all but a few customers.

If the studios and retailers have their way, the format war will be over long before Meridian delivers.

Kinda sounds like most standalone Blu-ray players.

follow me on Twitter
post #474 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kinda sounds like most standalone Blu-ray players.

ZING!!!

See, there ya' go. Keeping it light. Nice work.
post #475 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlsmith

mr smith .... why are you so afraid that HD DVD would be sticking around? there must be a reason ... da da !!!

Quote:

absolutely amazing! Hopefully AVS readers are not some illinformed idiots that you r post suggest that they are
post #476 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Circuit City refuses to carry Toshiba products due to some long-ago grudge that I don't understand, so no you're not going to see much in the way of HD DVD there.

Check out my DVD Reviews at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
post #477 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

All of this I agree with... but then;

Quote:

I think if this were true we wouldn't see things like the introduction of Total-HD by warner. What possible reason do they have to spend millions developing Total-HD discs if they really feel they could decide things by drying up their support to HD-DVD? This just doesn't make a lot of sense. If anything it seems to me that they are trying to entice exclusive studios to go format neutral via licensing their Total-HD format discs.

Quote:

Again, this doesn't make sense. Profit margin on the PS3 is zero. HD-DVD players actually make retailers a lot more money than the BR players that are actually selling today (PS3). Additionally what you are providing is anecdotal evidence, many members have also indicated that they are hearing HD-DVD ads and seeing fresh HD-DVD displays in stores. Why do that if the format is dead?

Quote:

This could be true, but again, does nothing for the CE consumer who wants HD media but doesn't want a game console. I would fully expect that we will see the HDA2 at retail for $399 or less after the HDA20 is released. That's going to give consumers looking for HD content some pause.

[
Quote:

Again, this is false. Onkyo announced HD-DVD support as did Meridian. The fact that they are not yet shipping product is not much more disconcerting than all of the BR players that were announced last year and still have not materialized on store shelves.

Quote:

I'm not so sure. Retailers are looking for anything that gives them a shot in the arm. If the Chinese can bring 20% margin $299 HD-DVD players to market you don't think that the retailer will take the easy sale? They also have a high end line to go to with the XA2 and future Onkyo product. For BR if the person isn't interested in PS3 then they are at $800 or more.

Quote:

The biggest challenge for HD-DVD right now is content, without a doubt. Those releases are seriously going to hurt HD-DVD's chances with nothing to counter with.

Quote:

They want it over for sure but I'm not sure if they really think BR, a.k.a, PS3 is going to make them more money at this point.

Quote:

Despite being called an HD-DVD hack I agree with this, I would like to see it ended also, just not by a video game console.
post #478 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer View Post

Circuit City refuses to carry Toshiba products due to some long-ago grudge that I don't understand, so no you're not going to see much in the way of HD DVD there.

Circuit City sells HD-DVD movies AND the HDA2 player, where the heck have you been?
post #479 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

mr smith .... why are you so afraid that HD DVD would be sticking around? there must be a reason ... da da !!!

I don't care whether HD DVD or Blu-ray "sticks around". Either one is OK.

What I do think is that there is not room in the marketplace for two so similar formats, and that customers are avoiding both as a result.

I have 12 friends with high-end home theatres and huge collections who are waiting eagerly for the format war to end so they can buy in. Meanwhile, some of them are deferring buying new equipment of any sort and even additional DVD titles. The format war is stagnating everything.

Under the conditions of two low-volume formats, I know that most of the titles I want will never make it to either one. I have a list of 300 titles that I want on hd disk. About 10 percent, at best, may make it under the conditions of the format war. The rest are either too obscure ("South Pacific" for example) or too popular ("Star Wars") to motivate their owners to press them at present. "Crank" and "Clerks II" just don't do it for me.

"The Searchers" made it, but I haven't seen Warners repeating that sort of experiment lately with similar classic titles. They seem to have shut down that effort last fall.

A title that actually interested me in HD DVD was "Spartacus" from Universal. Unhappily, Universal did such a poor job of it that I lost my interest. I haven't seen them doing any similar classics lately. [BTW: The "Back to the Future" trilogy is playing on the HD networks right now. Why hasn't Universal put it on HD DVD? Not enough "penetration" is no doubt the reason.]

I really empathize with the retailers. Hey, they just want to sell boxes and collect their commissions. Me, I just want to buy disks.

I will have great respect for whomever decides which format wins and makes it stick so that we can move forward with the agenda: movies!
post #480 of 9375 Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's like saying "if Pepsi and Coke had their way, there would be no cola war."
Do you think that MS is going to stop selling the add-ons? That Toshiba will stop making HD DVD players? WB, Universal, Weinstiens, etc. are going to suddenly stop supporting HD DVD?

You've twice now made predictions like this. First you said that you believe retailers and the studios are ready to take the matter into their own hands and virtually declare a winner. Now this. I ask, please be more specific - just what are you predicting will happen and when do you think it will happen? And as importantly, what do base this on?
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page