If the PS3 fails does Blu Ray fail too? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 238 Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An analyst has come out with some of his estimates for February. Of course, I've noticed he is a little on the high side.

But the numbers for February for the PS3 are looking soft. I'll be prepared to say it's a bad number if its as low as I think it will be.

On the plus side it looks as though VF5 sold more than 100k copies for the month on PS3.

The consistent number is Wii sales are down, PS3 sales are down, 360 sales are down.

I suspect we will see the numbers down for all the consoles until summer, someone drops their price, or a really good game comes out.
Stromprophet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 238 Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Subotnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

Ummm, sorry, PSP is not doing as well as it should. UMD is a flop, and the Nintendo DS is pimp slapping it all over the place.

Which doesn't surprise anyone, least of all Sony. They knew going into the handheld market, the sole domain of Nintendo for almost twenty years, that they weren't going to come out on top. Instead they were striving to get a decent chunk of the market, something they've managed to achieve quite well, and learn a few things in the process.

Format Apathetic
Subotnik is offline  
post #93 of 238 Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post

"...far more powerful than the other systems in every single way..."

Wow Strom. All I can say is people in grass houses shouldn't get stoned-and then post on the internet.

This is as good as I have read on the subject...

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=22858

This is a better read. It's long, technical, but well explained.

I probably should not have said "far more powerful" (Though it most certainly is more powerful than the Wii in everyway, as is the 360)

It is true, certain aspects of the systems are probably equivalent. I would argue though that the PS3 has more room to run in the future. Much like the PS2. If you have seen God of War 2 the PS2 has now been able to rival the original Xbox and Gamecube in level of detail, something no one thought the PS2 would be able to do with older hardware than those 2 systems.
Stromprophet is offline  
post #94 of 238 Old 03-13-2007, 07:25 PM
 
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotnik View Post

Which doesn't surprise anyone, least of all Sony. They knew going into the handheld market, the sole domain of Nintendo for almost twenty years, that they weren't going to come out on top. Instead they were striving to get a decent chunk of the market, something they've managed to achieve quite well, and learn a few things in the process.

That's not true. $ony used the same spin about the PSP that they are using about the P$3 and it failed. Maybe, they learned enough from the PSP to make the P$3 happen, or maybe the slow start will be OK since this is a device that is supposed to be around for a decade.
Slim GoodBooty is offline  
post #95 of 238 Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

That's not true. $ony used the same spin about the PSP that they are using about the P$3 and it failed. Maybe, they learned enough from the PSP to make the P$3 happen, or maybe the slow start will be OK since this is a device that is supposed to be around for a decade.

Uhuh, I like to use M$ instead, since we know they are the most greedy corporation in the world.

DS is also counting all their sales from DS Lite and DS right? Which are two functionally different versions. Just like M$ is going to count all the sales from their new version towards the total 360 count even though the machine offers more functionality at a higher price.
Stromprophet is offline  
post #96 of 238 Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
rto
AVS Special Member
 
rto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Shenandoah Valley VA
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

Uhuh, I like to use M$ instead, since we know they are the most greedy corporation in the world.

DS is also counting all their sales from DS Lite and DS right? Which are two functionally different versions. Just like M$ is going to count all the sales from their new version towards the total 360 count even though the machine offers more functionality at a higher price.

Would you expect to see more than one set of figures for the PS3, since it's available in two configurations?
rto is offline  
post #97 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Subotnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

That's not true. $ony used the same spin about the PSP that they are using about the P$3 and it failed. Maybe, they learned enough from the PSP to make the P$3 happen, or maybe the slow start will be OK since this is a device that is supposed to be around for a decade.

What spin? Sony said well before the PSP came out that they had no illusion of winning the handheld market out of the gate, that they were instead trying to redefine the portable gaming mindset, expand the market and establish themselves, just like they did with the original Playstation.

Format Apathetic
Subotnik is offline  
post #98 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Stromprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rto View Post

Would you expect to see more than one set of figures for the PS3, since it's available in two configurations?

That is completely different. The new Box is adding HDMI and a much larger hard drive and more functionality, they are also increasing the price to 480 bucks.

DS and DS Lite were in fact 2 different systems.

It's also different because these things all came out more than a year after the original. The Slim PS2 when that came out offered nothing new other than being thin, it had a higher disc read speed I think, but that was it.

When Wii 2.0 comes out in 2 or 3 years I'd like to see the argument for counting that in with the Wii.
Stromprophet is offline  
post #99 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
K.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The fact is, if Blu-ray wins PS3 skyrockets.
K.L. is offline  
post #100 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maltby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=22858

This is a better read. It's long, technical, but well explained.

I probably should not have said "far more powerful" (Though it most certainly is more powerful than the Wii in everyway, as is the 360)

You didn't just say "far more powerful" You said "...far more powerful than the other systems in every single way..."

Given your reluctance to repeat the full quote, I can only assume that you are no longer high.

Your better read is from July of last year. Do you have anything more current. Also, can I assume that you didn't bother to read the article I linked?

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
Maltby is offline  
post #101 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Member
 
Swoosh-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even if the PS3 only sells half of what the PS2 did (say in the vicinity of 50 million) as it pertains to the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD that will still be more than enough to tip the scales of this format "war".
Swoosh-X is offline  
post #102 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh-X View Post

Even if the PS3 only sells half of what the PS2 did (say in the vicinity of 50 million) as it pertains to the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD that will still be more than enough to tip the scales of this format "war".

But not the game war

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #103 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM
rto
AVS Special Member
 
rto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Shenandoah Valley VA
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

That is completely different. The new Box is adding HDMI and a much larger hard drive and more functionality, they are also increasing the price to 480 bucks.


No, it's not completely different. The two PS3 SKUs differ in the capacity of their hard drives, HDMI was added to the 20 gig unit very late in development, and they're priced $100 apart. However, they both run the same software, as will every version of the MS box, sooo the notion of counting the new 360 unit separately is logically inconsistent, unless you also advocate counting sales of PS3 units separately.
rto is offline  
post #104 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Swoosh-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

But not the game war

To be honest it wouldn't entirely shock me if both Microsoft and Sony lose the "game war", if you're talking about overall worldwide units sold.
Swoosh-X is offline  
post #105 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post

You didn't just say "far more powerful" You said "...far more powerful than the other systems in every single way..."

Given your reluctance to repeat the full quote, I can only assume that you are no longer high.

Your better read is from July of last year. Do you have anything more current. Also, can I assume that you didn't bother to read the article I linked?

That information is updated by the author on a continual basis. As things change.

Did you bother to read all of mine? I doubt it. If you had you would know that information is edited. I would know it because it was only posted by the author in the PS3 forums during December after the PS3 came out.

I will admit I should not have phrased it that way, but when you look at the horsepower and technical limitations of each system, in a lot of aspects the PS3 has sometimes 2 or 3 times as much ability.

It is far more powerful than the Wii in every single way. To deny that would be crazy. I'd say it is far more powerful than the 360 in some aspects, but not every single way. No, I wasn't high, I just wasn't paying attention to my typing. Grow up.
Stromprophet is offline  
post #106 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rto View Post

No, it's not completely different. The two PS3 SKUs differ in the capacity of their hard drives, HDMI was added to the 20 gig unit very late in development, and they're priced $100 apart. However, they both run the same software, as will every version of the MS box, sooo the notion of counting the new 360 unit separately is logically inconsistent, unless you also advocate counting sales of PS3 units separately.

I'd argue it's different in the fact that new versions such as the DS vs. the DS Lite and the new 360 are taking advantage of functionality that 1) was not readily available at launch or 2) was not cheap enough at launch.

Where as there being 2 different offering for core PS3, and core 360 as opposed to premiums, both are offering what was deemed available and affordable at the time.

I still think it is different in some ways, I do see your point. But I just think waiting a few years and then coming out with a more powerful machine is different than offering 2 sets of goods at the same time initially.

Which I think the Wii 2.0 may be the first that attempts to actually increase the processing power of the device and maintain the same brand name. In that case, what do you do?
Stromprophet is offline  
post #107 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Member
 
alliance4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Imo,at best the Ps3 will be successful in one field but fail in another. The 360 is gold for publishers and has had 13 games hit one million in its first year. I have learned (especially after reading alot of the "FUD" on these boards) that I will just continue to buy my Hd-Dvd's,support 360 and buy a ps3 when it is logical.

I still hope blu-ray doesn't succeed. To hope for failure is just not possible because there are different opinions as to what failure is. If the 360 and Wii are fighting for 1st place this genration,Imo,the ps3 was a failure. Some may see it differently.

P.s.-Please stop saying the ps3 outsold 360 at launch because that is grabbing for straws. Who knows how the 360 would have sold had it not launched worldwide.
alliance4g63 is offline  
post #108 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Member
 
jon smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

DS and DS Lite were in fact 2 different systems.

Eh? Are you soft?

They are both the same console, but aesthetically different - just like the old PS2 and the slimline one.
jon smith is offline  
post #109 of 238 Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maltby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

That information is updated by the author on a continual basis. As things change.

Did you bother to read all of mine? I doubt it. If you had you would know that information is edited. I would know it because it was only posted by the author in the PS3 forums during December after the PS3 came out. .


OK What am I supposed to think when I come across stuff in your article like this...

"Honestly, many people do not realize how close the lower price point can come up to the more expensive version of the Playstation 3. In short, HDMI is the only real functionality that you'd completely miss if you didn't get the $600 version."

Doesn't seem updated to me, reads like it was written in July. And can I still take it as a no then, that you didn't read the article I linked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

I will admit I should not have phrased it that way, but when you look at the horsepower and technical limitations of each system, in a lot of aspects the PS3 has sometimes 2 or 3 times as much ability.

It is far more powerful than the Wii in every single way. To deny that would be crazy. I'd say it is far more powerful than the 360 in some aspects, but not every single way..

Clearly, a lot of people aren't shopping for powerful game consoles, they are shopping for fun ones. "The fun factor is irrelevant". When I read that in a post by a PS3/Bluray advocate I knew PS3 was in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

No, I wasn't high, I just wasn't paying attention to my typing. Grow up.

Yes, grow up, this is, after all pretty serious stuff-game consoles.

Reminds me of the line in Dr Strangelove...Gentleman, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
Maltby is offline  
post #110 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
plasmalover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63 View Post

Imo,at best the Ps3 will be successful in one field but fail in another. The 360 is gold for publishers and has had 13 games hit one million in its first year. I have learned (especially after reading alot of the "FUD" on these boards) that I will just continue to buy my Hd-Dvd's,support 360 and buy a ps3 when it is logical.

I still hope blu-ray doesn't succeed. To hope for failure is just not possible because there are different opinions as to what failure is. If the 360 and Wii are fighting for 1st place this genration,Imo,the ps3 was a failure. Some may see it differently.

P.s.-Please stop saying the ps3 outsold 360 at launch because that is grabbing for straws. Who knows how the 360 would have sold had it not launched worldwide.

You are right, failure can mean very different things to different people. I think for the PS3 to be deemed a failure; it would have to be that the PS3 did not become the #1 selling next gen console. Others will say see the PS2 sold 150Miilion and the PS3 only sold 50M hence the PS3 "fail"? Is that really fair for the $600 PS3 to compare to $120 PS2?

PSN ID: IamBuzzed, accepting all requests!
PS3 60GB on 42Px500U
Christmas wishlist: 58PX700U 1080P!
plasmalover is offline  
post #111 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmalover View Post

You are right, failure can mean very different things to different people. I think for the PS3 to be deemed a failure; it would have to be that the PS3 did not become the #1 selling next gen console. Others will say see the PS2 sold 150Miilion and the PS3 only sold 50M hence the PS3 "fail"? Is that really fair for the $600 PS3 to compare to $120 PS2?

Sony sets the price, no one else does, so no tears from me.

Also the PS2 was expensive for some at the time of launch.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #112 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Member
 
neomoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NPD figures for Feb are out.

Quote:


Nintendo DS 485,149
Wii 335,324
PlayStation 2 295,102
Xbox 360 228,225
PlayStation Portable 175,651
Game Boy Advance 135,887
PlayStation 3 127,321
GameCube 23,844
Xbox 480

PS3 is officially dying. It's gonna be interesting to see how BDA members react to this drastic drop in sales, they were counting on a huge ps3 installed base before cheaper standalone players hit the market place.
neomoz is offline  
post #113 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
schticker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The AVS Echochamber
Posts: 2,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

The fact is, if Blu-ray wins PS3 skyrockets.

It's contingent upon the PS3, not the other way around. That's according to Sony however, so it is what it is.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
schticker is offline  
post #114 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FrancescoP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomoz View Post

NPD figures for Feb are out.

PlayStation 3 127,321

How much before PS3 starts selling less montly than the HD DVD external drive for xbox 360?
FrancescoP is offline  
post #115 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
FatiusJeebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm tellin ya....with PS3's selling at a snails pace....all MS needs to do now is drop the price of the add-on. (Speaking from a console standpoint.) Drop it to loke 139 or 149.99. Imagine the possibilties.

xboxlive member name: Fatius Jeebs (there is a space between both names)
FatiusJeebs is offline  
post #116 of 238 Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
FatiusJeebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

Sony sets the price, no one else does, so no tears from me.

Also the PS2 was expensive for some at the time of launch.


It was never 600.

xboxlive member name: Fatius Jeebs (there is a space between both names)
FatiusJeebs is offline  
post #117 of 238 Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
csmith75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoP View Post

How much before PS3 starts selling less montly than the HD DVD external drive for xbox 360?

What are the sales of the add-on?
csmith75 is offline  
post #118 of 238 Old 03-16-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Grubert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 View Post

What are the sales of the add-on?

November 40K
December 52K
January 20k

February??

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Grubert is offline  
post #119 of 238 Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomoz View Post

NPD figures for Feb are out.


PS3 is officially dying. It's gonna be interesting to see how BDA members react to this drastic drop in sales, they were counting on a huge ps3 installed base before cheaper standalone players hit the market place.

Wow gameboy outsold PS3 LOL

While I would never say it will die, Sony will simply not be number one anymore, a position it is not used to being in. Bad news for Sony.

Cant wait for all the posts to follow

"Just give it time"
"There are not many games, it will jump later in the year"
""

Sony fan spin in 5..4..3..2..1

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #120 of 238 Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
khwiggins2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To OP,

Blu-ray will not fail. At the least, it will be a PC storage format and PS3 games will still be released on it.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
khwiggins2 is offline  
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off