Blu-ray, HD-DVD & SD DVD Comparison Screenshots *WARNING - LARGE PICTURE FILES* - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 1010 Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bruce Almighty looks better than I thought it would and there are some nice detail in shots but most of it is very soft. The shot of Carrey in front of the boat and a few others have a definite DNR look to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1010 Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Bruce Almighty looks better than I thought it would and there are some nice detail in shots but most of it is very soft. The shot of Carrey in front of the boat and a few others have a definite DNR look to me.

For me it was a no-brainer. Bought via BOGO. I liked the movie, but didnt own the DVD. I think even if i did, the upgrade looks worthy enough for $10-12 dollars.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #933 of 1010 Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

For me it was a no-brainer. Bought via BOGO. I liked the movie, but didnt own the DVD. I think even if i did, the upgrade looks worthy enough for $10-12 dollars.

Would be great if someone can compare the import and the domestic version.

Back Cover Art

http://www.zavvi.co.uk/images/781/781363_DV_L_B.JPG

Dolby Digital 5.1 - Frans
Dolby Digital 5.1 - Engels
Dolby Digital 5.1 - Duits
Dolby Digital 5.1 - Italiaans
Dolby Digital 5.1 - Spaans
DTS 5.1 - Frans
DTS 5.1 - Duits
DTS 5.1 - Italiaans
DTS 5.1 - Spaans
PCM 5.1 - Engels (4.6 Mbps)

Review links

http://www.dvd.nl//reviews.php?reviewid=3255
http://www.dvdrama.com/fiche.php?8449
http://www.dvd-home.nl/review/brhd/brucealBD.htm

Blu-ray : 340
post #934 of 1010 Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Didnt even know it existed. Those review links are in 3 languages that I dont understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Would be great if someone can compare the import and the domestic version.

Review links

http://www.dvd.nl//reviews.php?reviewid=3255
http://www.dvdrama.com/fiche.php?8449
http://www.dvd-home.nl/review/brhd/brucealBD.htm

post #935 of 1010 Old 07-27-2008, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I did not own Bruce Almighty but I saw this at my local Fry's so bought it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #936 of 1010 Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Really super quick and dirty comparison. GitS: SAC Individual Eleven vs corresponding scenes on 2nd Gig Vol. 1 DVD (don't have the proper DVD to hand so it'll have to do!).

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVDs had a button of EE and pretty obvious compression issues.
post #937 of 1010 Old 07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
DVD looks overly blurred, I guess to hide the aliasing of downscaling. BD looks soft with resolution below 720p. How old is the source?
post #938 of 1010 Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Some of those Bruce Almight sticky notes are entertaining.

"Don't let my mom walk in."

"Lord, don't let me vomit when I talk to Janet"

"Thanks for the hummer"

"Please let me get laid before I'm 18"

"Lord don't let this movie suck"

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #939 of 1010 Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post

Really super quick and dirty comparison. GitS: SAC Individual Eleven vs corresponding scenes on 2nd Gig Vol. 1 DVD (don't have the proper DVD to hand so it'll have to do!).

*snip*

DVDs had a button of EE and pretty obvious compression issues.

A nice upgrade. Who said animation don't take advantage of HD?

post #940 of 1010 Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice pics! Can't wait until the two TV seasons are released, hopefully outside Japan and with at least a somewhat appropriate pricetag.

And it is a bit soft, but no worse than Paprika, and that was a newer theatrical production. At least there are no obvious problems like with Utawarerumono, which was in HD but still had a good deal of aliasing most likely due to lower-res line art.

Are The Laughing Man and Solid State Society comparable in quality?
post #941 of 1010 Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are The Laughing Man and Solid State Society comparable in quality?

They're all fairly similar in terms of PQ, but I've only flicked through all three very quickly. Need to sit down with them.
post #942 of 1010 Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Some more anime, Gundam 00;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;
post #943 of 1010 Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Geass DVD, R1... got the R2J somewhere but too lazy to search for it.

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;
post #944 of 1010 Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;

DVD;

BD;
post #945 of 1010 Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It's nice to see sharp 2-d animation. Too much anime it seems is soft filtered.
post #946 of 1010 Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gundam in HD looks nice.

post #947 of 1010 Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, Gundam 00 is probably the sharpest TV production I've seen examples of so far. Geass seems more in line with previous efforts (i.e. softer).
post #948 of 1010 Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone interested in doing a Hulk or Shrek 3 comparison? I have the HD DVD versions, but don't care to double-dip yet. If someone has the BDs, perhaps I can take some shots and another person can match up the frames. (Or vice versa).

I'm interested with Shrek because it's AVC vs VC-1.

post #949 of 1010 Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hulk is being worked on

post #950 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #951 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #952 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #953 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #954 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #955 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, barely any difference.

The dvd looks like one of those re-encodes that fits on a dvd5.
post #956 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Oh my god! A bunch of the windows and other details are single pixels only! This is using 1920x1080p YV12 resolution to the fullest extent!

Though, I guess it's too detailed. The edges are pretty jaggy if you look close enough to actually see the itty bitty details clearly. I think they transferred it the best way though, keeping everything intact and letting your eyes smooth it out at a realistic distance.

Anyway, great reference pic to see what you will lose with a 720p display:
BD vs BD->1280x720
BD vs BD->720x480
BD->720x480 vs DVD

The contrast change going to the lower resolutions is just because those tiny bright details are getting averaged with their darker neighbours.

The DVD frame is actually pretty reference for full 480p too, which is to say terrible. Not much difference to the BD downscale beyond compression. They should be using this shot for the Blu-ray promos to show the real difference between top-notch DVD and Blu-ray instead of the unnecessary cooked comparisons.
post #957 of 1010 Old 10-05-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some people really need to upgrade to native 1920 x 1080p PJ to better evaluate PQ. Its no suprise that sometimes I scratch my head when they claim the screenshots I posts does not match theirs.

post #958 of 1010 Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Awsome capture. The detail is absolutely insane. Can't say I care enough about the story to force my self to sit through it but I definitly have to give them props for producing some amazing eye candy and getting it to disk in such good shape.
post #959 of 1010 Old 10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
These pics certainly do raise the bar for brute 1080p performance. That said, I hate to be the stick in the mud to say that they are still not "perfect", even despite the evident hf detail. Nevertheless, it does take it to a level that we very well should hope all other transfers aspire to.

Believe it or not, there is a kind of noise reduction still at work. This could be one case where it is arguably intelligently adaptive to the point where we must acknowledge that its use does not necessarily have an impact on the native detail of the image. What I'm saying is that the nr is clearly acting upon only the extreme black and white range. It seems to be doing VERY well in leaving the visible middle range untouched (it does creep in a bit in areas that are naturally soft, but the hard detail areas are very intact). Therein lies the rub- it would be very hard to look at these pictures and then build a case that dnr (or some other low-pass filtering) has had any negative impact, whatsoever. It is all in the extreme black and white range, and I challenge anybody here to visually see into that range (using your own eyes on the native image) and notice any change in noise signature between the middle range to the range extremes. If you can, then kudos to you, and you will be one of the few to continue championing true pixel accuracy whether it is level 0 or level 255.

Honestly, I'm not trying to bash anything about this. On the contrary, it is the most extreme and well done case I have seen in any of the screenshot expositions for any movie done, so far. I guess I am just giving note that there is even more going on in these samples than just the evident, extreme pixel-by-pixel detail.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #960 of 1010 Old 10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Here is a sample of a "fully enhanced" version. This is not to say the mastered release is lacking in any way. It's probably right on the bleeding edge of what the master can provide to a 1080p format, with some very mild blending to ensure that hard edges aren't aliasing. The "enhanced" version counters that mild blending (for better or worse). There's probably little reason to go that "raw" if aliasing is bound to pop-up where the detail is too hard, other than to even up the blotchiness of the noise layer. (Believe me- I had to back off quite a bit on my "secret sauce", for this material. )

enhanced:

xylon original (cropped):

LL
LL

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page