Blu-ray, HD-DVD & SD DVD Comparison Screenshots *WARNING - LARGE PICTURE FILES* - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I couldn't find how the DVD screenshots were taken - with the volume of pictures in this thread it was impossible for me to find, if it exists!

Anyways, the DVD screenshots look excessively soft. My upconverting DVD player does a much better job (upscaling to 1080p) and looking at 1.0x screenwidths distance. Maybe they should be resized using Photoshop's Bicubic filter?

FFDShow's upscaling is better too - LanczosResize() in an AVISynth script. Significantly better than the shots here I think. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

I couldn't find how the DVD screenshots were taken - with the volume of pictures in this thread it was impossible for me to find, if it exists!

Anyways, the DVD screenshots look excessively soft. My upconverting DVD player does a much better job (upscaling to 1080p) and looking at 1.0x screenwidths distance. Maybe they should be resized using Photoshop's Bicubic filter?

FFDShow's upscaling is better too - LanczosResize() in an AVISynth script. Significantly better than the shots here I think. What am I missing?

DVD screenshots were taken from a MPC using DScaler upscaled to 1920x1080 resized using Photoshop Bicubic filter saved as PNG.

Having SD and HD in a side by side comparison, the softness or lack of details is more apparent on DVD. You guys are welcome to post a DVD screenshot using some other software to make it sharper but at the end of the day it wont change the result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks! Now I know DVD PQ sucks :lol:
post #94 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Xylon, thanks for the info.

Hmmm, so the native resolution of playback in MPC is 1920x1080, and then re-resized to the same resolution but with the bicubic filter? Strange. It still doesn't look right to me, but then again I use FFDShow, which I assume you're not using in MPC. That could explain it.

It will be a few days before I can make tests with other DVDs. I have very few HD-DVDs and I don't have DVDs for most of those titles to compare against.

Maybe someone who uses FFDShow with the AVISynth scripts that 8:13 posted in the HTPC Forum Sticky can do us a service and take the same screenshots of the DVD versions?
post #95 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

This method was only possible because of tools that has become available recently. Even if I have a 1080p PJ and use that to get a screenshot out of it will still be not good enough.

I definitely agree with you - even my early screenshots of the first HD DVD releases from my 1080p DILA projector with my Canon 12 mp camera could never get a true pixel for pixel match and connot hold a candle to a true digital capture.

It's ironic that we have the hackers to thanks for our newfound ability to make VERY good comparisons.

Quote:

I'm interested of course. I probably have those versions already. I will let you know if I need a particular screenshot from a movie that I don't have.

Yes, I suspect that you are an HD techno-connoisseur just like me! Still, I have access to some satellite material for a few relevant films should you need it, such as:
Blade Runner
Underworld Evolution
Fifth Element
Into The Blue
The Brothers Grimm
The Perfect Storm
Poseidon
Mission Impossible II
Syriana
RV
Hitch
Million Dollar Baby
Etc etc etc
...some of this material is in AVC also.

I would also suggest that you capture some "hi action" frames as well, from the respective sources, to demonstrate how these codecs react to stress. I still remember my amazement when I first saw The Last Samurai in VC1, after having watched it on a DVHS for so long.

Quote:

The extra dollars I spent on it is worth it. The PQ is consistent unlike some HD titles I have seen.

Again I agree - I bought Harry Potter HD DVD when I was last in England. Superb PQ and contrast all the way through.

Your work in helping folks see the full image of these releases is much appreciated - your captures are incredibly helpful in these comparisons.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #96 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Xylon, thanks for the info.

Hmmm, so the native resolution of playback in MPC is 1920x1080, and then re-resized to the same resolution but with the bicubic filter? Strange. It still doesn't look right to me, but then again I use FFDShow, which I assume you're not using in MPC. That could explain it.

To clarify further, the DVD original capture file is 850x480 BMP 1.60 MB upscaled to 1920x1080. The HD meanwhile is 1920x1080 BMP 8 MB file size reduced and converted to PNG same rez.

post #97 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe someone who uses FFDShow with the AVISynth scripts that 8:13 posted in the HTPC Forum Sticky can do us a service and take the same screenshots of the DVD versions?

Lots of work. Who's up to it? I'm interested to see the difference as far as DVD upscaling is concerned.

post #98 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Batman Begins(VC-1) 18.40 GB

post #99 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #100 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #101 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #102 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #103 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fantastic Four(MPEG-2) 17.60 GB

post #104 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #105 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #106 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #107 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #108 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Haha. Batman Begins is soft. I knew it.

Also that last wide shot of Fantastic Four looked like a bit of a struggle for Mpeg-2.
post #109 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM

You can now click on the small cat to the left below each of Xylon's images to view that specific comparison in the Flash viewer, or you can browse all of the comparisons from the link below.

http://xylon.haloapplications.com/
post #110 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisTz View Post

Haha. Batman Begins is soft. I knew it.

Also that last wide shot of Fantastic Four looked like a bit of a struggle for Mpeg-2.

Yea thats some horrible blocking.
post #111 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr27440 View Post

Yea thats some horrible blocking.

Is that something to do with the photos or is that actually in the BD release? It looks like crap.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #112 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

God! I love comparison shots, Xylon you did beyond an excellent job, please keep posting more when you can. Threads like these make me want to go get a PS3 A.S. A.P.
post #113 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW! Look at the colors in F4 DVD vs Blu-ray.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #114 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Batman did look a bit soft in that shot but on my monitor the HD DVD looks much sharper during playback .
post #115 of 1010 Old 03-11-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post

Batman did look a bit soft in that shot but on my monitor the HD DVD looks much sharper during playback .

Batman and Superman looks soft and I don't have a problem with that. It has the same "soft look" when I saw them in the movies. Soft but everything else as far as PQ is concerned is superb, details, saturation, blacks etc., etc.

Just look at the SD versions, YUK!

post #116 of 1010 Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Even at 50% magnification the dvd shots are still lifeless and flat. Sure, you can scale them via ffdshow, sharpen and denoise the hell out of them but they'll never be more than SD.
post #117 of 1010 Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lots of work. Who's up to it? I'm interested to see the difference as far as DVD upscaling is concerned.

Yeah no kidding - I can't take the screenshots you made because I don't own the DVDs. In fact, I don't own DVDs of the HD-DVDs I have! Ooops.
post #118 of 1010 Old 03-12-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can do HD vs BD, do a new thread
post #119 of 1010 Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSOLfan View Post

You can now click on the small cat to the left below each of Xylon's images to view that specific comparison in the Flash viewer, or you can browse all of the comparisons from the link below.

http://xylon.haloapplications.com/

Great idea. What about creating a real SD <-> HD comparison page. I'm sure there are lots of other titles a comparison would be great.
post #120 of 1010 Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

Is that something to do with the photos or is that actually in the BD release? It looks like crap.

The whole battle scene with Doom looks like that. It gets worse when the Human Torch starts flying around. You can verify this yourself by watching it again but this time look closely at the crowd or buildings surrounding fast motion objects. The colors and details stands out fortunately over DVD but the rest is sub-par to me at least.

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page