post #31 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muchaman View Post

I don't know, but my sister used to get what I got for my birthday...and that used to suck

good answer !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

And beyond that, Schticker's remarks are the kind of generalizations that have been bringing this place down. Passive aggressive, with no purpose but to incite.

Nothing personal Schticker.

Right. Let's forget the ignorance shown on this entire topic--to the point where we have to question the source given their immaturity--and focus instead on the speculation as to what those sources are. 90% of threads on this "war" are just like the "expensive cable" and "why not Bose" threads that are really nothing more that troll threads, and I tire of them also.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #33 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

You were had

But really, if they are selling new for under $299, that's a pretty big deal. It just depends on if that is a one off sale, or it we will see more of them.

Anyone buying an HD-D1 at Wal-Mart or anywhere else is going to be really concerned about the slow as molasses on a cold day loading and startup times. Your average consumer who is used to DVD is going to think something is wrong. My HD-A2 was faster, but even then it was still painfully slow.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
post #34 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw View Post

Anyone buying an HD-D1 at Wal-Mart or anywhere else is going to be really concerned about the slow as molasses on a cold day loading and startup times. Your average consumer who is used to DVD is going to think something is wrong. My HD-A2 was faster, but even then it was still painfully slow.

I agree, I played around with an HD-A2 today in CC, it's way slower than the PS3, even when accessing menus. Is the HD-XA2 any faster with menus/loading?
post #35 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty impressive the price of HD DVD has essentially halved in a year. I never thought it would be this fast. The potential exists for sub $200 players by Christmas.
What are the chances we'll see a sub $200 blu-ray plyer by Christmas?
post #36 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Only an imbecile running a studio would ignore those kinds of numbers

Universal, Bob Black's calling on YOU!

PS: I love the talk of "potential" sales when BD now has the *proven* sales numbers

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #37 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So, it's a fire sale.

Going out of business! Everything must go!

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #38 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Universal, Bob Black's calling on YOU!

PS: I love the talk of "potential" sales when BD now has the *proven* sales numbers

read my signature. those are the sales figure for BD and HD DVD disks Since inception till 4th April !! ... BD sold <>60K more disks than HD DVD. BD as <>2mil players in the market as compared to <.0.2mil HD DVD players. BD has several times more releases than HD DVD since January.
post #39 of 68 Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

So, it's a fire sale.

Going out of business! Everything must go!

so is the Amazon 50% off BD disks .. ALL MUST GO !!!
post #40 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'd rather spend the $500 for a PS3 than $300 for an HD DVD player considering that all the studio support is on the Blu-Ray side of things. What's the point of a cheap player if you don't have any movies being released to play on it?

*Disclaimer: I had and returned the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player, since then I have stayed out of the Great Format Wars as it seems clear to me that I would have thrown in with the losing side had I kept the 360 add-on.
post #41 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 04:29 AM

There are 17 stores with the D1 in stock on pricegrabber and 5 of them are sub $299. Even if they are on closeout thats a bunch in the channel.
post #42 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

if you buy a blu ray player for only 300bux, you can get a ps3 for only 200!
post #43 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I'd rather spend the $500 for a PS3 than $300 for an HD DVD player considering that all the studio support is on the Blu-Ray side of things. What's the point of a cheap player if you don't have any movies being released to play on it?

*Disclaimer: I had and returned the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player, since then I have stayed out of the Great Format Wars as it seems clear to me that I would have thrown in with the losing side had I kept the 360 add-on.

I think you have lost all sense of proportion when you are talking about studio support. On DVDempire, they list 19 studios as supporting HD DVD, while only 18 support BD. Of the major studios, BD has 2 more exclusive than HD DVD does. Sometimes, it's only one more, depending on how people consider Studio Canal, which appears to have reverted back to it's previous state of not publishing BD right now.

BD has about 10 more titles out right now. The score is 190+ to 180+ releases. About 60% of the releases are unique to each format. So, for example, if you have BD alone, you have access to 190 titles. If you pick up an HD DVD player to go with it, you have access to just over 300 titles.

So lets not get out of hand talking about BD's studio advantage. It's a bit more moderate than what you make it out to be.
post #44 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I think you have lost all sense of proportion when you are talking about studio support. On DVDempire, they list 19 studios as supporting HD DVD, while only 18 support BD. Of the major studios, BD has 2 more exclusive than HD DVD does. Sometimes, it's only one more, depending on how people consider Studio Canal, which appears to have reverted back to it's previous state of not publishing BD right now.

BD has about 10 more titles out right now. The score is 190+ to 180+ releases. About 60% of the releases are unique to each format. So, for example, if you have BD alone, you have access to 190 titles. If you pick up an HD DVD player to go with it, you have access to just over 300 titles.

So lets not get out of hand talking about BD's studio advantage. It's a bit more moderate than what you make it out to be.

It's not just the number of studios supporting the format. But the size of the studio and the strength of its films. Look at the top DVDs from last year:
Code:
Rank Title                                        Studio       Revenue*
1    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest   Buena Vista   $293.8 
2    The Chronicles of Narnia                     Buena Vista    282.3
3    Cars                                         Buena Vista    269.0
4    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire          Warner         226.9
5    Wedding Crashers                             New Line       176.3
6    Walk the Line                                Fox            175.7
7    King Kong                                    Universal      171.3
8    Over the Hedge                               DreamWorks     167.4
9    The Da Vinci Code                            Sony           133.7
10   Ice Age: The Meltdown                        Fox            132.8
11   Chicken Little                               Buena Vista    127.3
12   Click                                        Sony           110.5
13   X-Men: The Last Stand                        Fox            109.8
14   Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby  Sony           102.8
15   Flightplan                                   Buena Vista    101.1
16   Superman Returns                             Warner          92.1
17   The Devil Wears Prada                        Fox             85.6
18   High School Musical                          Buena Vista     82.2
19   Bambi II                                     Buena Vista     77.1
20   Grey's Anatomy: Season 2                     Buena Vista     67.5
Source: Rentrak; *$ in millions, includes DVD consumer spending on bricks-and-mortar purchases and rentals and online rentals

Blu-ray = 19
HD DVD = 5

Should all those indies HD DVD is wooing be counted as feathers in HD DVD's cap too?
post #45 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ALL the studio support huh? Man thats pretty good!

What plays in HDDVD players? 3DO games?

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #46 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

skogan -

Any perceived content production advantage depends upon the desires of individual users. Even though I am unashamedly Format Neutral, as anyone who reads my posts would know, I agree with FR's logic that it doesn't make sense to purchase a player supporting one format if a majority of the films one wants are released under the other format. Although I am not necessarily a BD supporter the marketing rights for most of the films that I would want to own in HD are held by BD-supportive studios. Thus, whether BD owns an advantage or not is up to the individual consumer.
post #47 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you have problem with a $199 hd device that also came with a remote control and a hd dvd movie with that free, getting the hell of the hd in this early stage is an extremely smart move.
post #48 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post

It's not just the number of studios supporting the format. But the size of the studio and the strength of its films. Look at the top DVDs from last year:
Code:
Source: Rentrak; *$ in millions, includes DVD consumer spending on bricks-and-mortar purchases and rentals and online rentals

Blu-ray = 19
HD DVD = 5

Should all those indies HD DVD is wooing be counted as feathers in HD DVD's cap too?

you really need to read carefully before quoting people's post. He has already said that exclusivity of the titles in the USA would not quarantee BDA's goal of deprieving content to force consumers into accepting BD as the next gen movie format can be achieved. Want proofs, currently NUMEROUS exclusive BD titles are produced in other parts of the world that can be imported easily to the USA.
post #49 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

you really need to read carefully before quoting people's post. He has already said that exclusivity of the titles in the USA would not quarantee BDA's goal of deprieving content to force consumers into accepting BD as the next gen movie format can be achieved. Want proofs, currently NUMEROUS exclusive BD titles are produced in other parts of the world that can be imported easily to the USA.

Where did skogan say this? You are such a liar! I mean this is so easy to check and still you're posting this lie!? Here is what he said and what I responded to:
Quote:

Where in this thread did skogan say what you said he said!?
post #50 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where did skogan say this? You are such a liar! I mean this is so easy to check and still you're posting this lie!? Here is what he said and what I responded to:Where in this thread did skogan say what you said he said!?

i knew it .. i knew i wasnt high. !!

Quote:

Sometimes, it's only one more, depending on how people consider Studio Canal, which appears to have reverted back to it's previous state of not publishing BD right now.

post #51 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:

i knew it .. i knew i wasnt high. !!

Quote:

Sometimes, it's only one more, depending on how people consider Studio Canal, which appears to have reverted back to it's previous state of not publishing BD right now.

You got:
Quote:

...exclusivity of the titles in the USA would not quarantee BDA's goal of deprieving content to force consumers into accepting BD as the next gen movie format can be achieved.

Jeez, I guess I owe you an apology.....NOT!
post #52 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From: You got:Jeez, I guess I owe you an apology.....NOT!

if it makes you happy. sorry !!
post #53 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:

if it makes you happy. sorry !!

Apology accepted! Sorry for calling you a liar too. I see that you honestly read more into the post then was there. That's what happens when we wear colored glasses. I prefer the blu lenses myself.
post #54 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

if you have problem with a $199 hd device that also came with a remote control and a hd dvd movie with that free, getting the hell of the hd in this early stage is an extremely smart move.

Hey, I can't argue with that logic. Though the remote was meaningless to me, since I had a launch 360 anyways which also came with a remote. A remote that I've never even taken out of the box, mind you. So having 2 remotes I will never use as opposed to just one wasn't a big selling point for me. And as much as I love Lord of the Rings, the truth is that Peter Jackson's Vanity Project was not a particularly good movie. I would rather have had the HD DVD movie of my choice for free as a redeemable voucher rather than Peter Jackson's Vanity Project packed in.

Plus obviously the add-on still has the messed up DD+ output which made Peter Jackson's Vanity Project sound worse on HD DVD than it did on DVD. That actually wasn't the most annoying, the audio-video sync issues on Batman Begins with the TrueHD soundtrack, that really annoyed me. I think the audio problems were what really made me send the add-on back, as the video was obviously perfect.

Even so, the point remains that the major studios on Blu-Ray's side is basically all of them, and the major studio on HD DVD's side is Universal. I have nothing against Universal personally, mind you, but one studio alone cannot fight the future.
post #55 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apology accepted! Sorry for calling you a liar too. I see that you honestly read more into the post then was there. That's what happens when we wear colored glasses. I prefer the blu lenses myself.

no worries .. blue looks good on some people anyway!!

Quote:

Even so, the point remains that the major studios on Blu-Ray's side is basically all of them, and the major studio on HD DVD's side is Universal. I have nothing against Universal personally, mind you, but one studio alone cannot fight the future.

Studio Canal rings a bell?

all of the major studios are on BD's side while only Uni on HD DVd's side. Whatever happened to Paramount and Warner? maybe they are not major studios
post #56 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Code:

Blu-ray = 19
HD DVD = 5

While I understand there will be some consistancy (sp?) year-to-year, I'm not sure that a particular year's "hit movies" should or would be the deciding factor for many people. What if Sony or Disney have a bad run at the box office in 2007? It certainly has happened. So yes, that list looks good for BR this year. I don't know the answer, but I wonder what a 3, 5 or 7 year run looks like? Anyone know? To me, that would be far more instructive/telling as to whether or not the specific studios being BR-only is a big advantage or a small one.
post #57 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodory View Post

While I understand there will be some consistancy (sp?) year-to-year, I'm not sure that a particular year's "hit movies" should or would be the deciding factor for many people. What if Sony or Disney have a bad run at the box office in 2007? It certainly has happened. So yes, that list looks good for BR this year. I don't know the answer, but I wonder what a 3, 5 or 7 year run looks like? Anyone know? To me, that would be far more instructive/telling as to whether or not the specific studios being BR-only is a big advantage or a small one.

The DVD top sellers are the same titles that will drive HD disc sales. Of the major studios, Blu-ray is only missing Universal. Here's a revised chart from a 2005 article covering the studio breakdown. http://www.dvdfile.com/news/viewpoin...005/02_14.html

Code:
HD-DVD    Number of  Domestic  Blu-ray   Number of  Domestic
Studios   Titles     Gross $M  Studios   Titles     Gross $M

Universal  15         3530.6   Sony        7         1806.4
                               MGM         3          536.6
                               Disney     19         4261.2
                               Fox        17         4491.3
Warner     21         4970.4   Warner     21         4970.4
Paramount  13         3114.7   Paramount  13         3114.7

Totals     49        11615.7              80        19180.6
Percent of Gross:
Blu-ray = 19180.6/22711.2 = 84.5%
HD DVD = 11615.7/22711.2 = 51.1%

Percent of Titles:
Blu-ray = 80/95 = 84.2%
HD DVD = 49/95 = 51.6%

The market share of both formats is similar to these over the past ten years. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/

Looking forward here's last week's chart:
Code:
Top DVD Sellers For Week Ended 3/4/2007

1  FLUSHED AWAY (DW/PAR, $29.99)                       64.5
2  THE DEPARTED (WB, $28.98)                          131.1
3  STRANGER THAN FICTION (SONY, $28.95)                40.4
4  THE PRESTIGE (BV, $29.99)                           53.1
5  BABEL (PAR, $29.99)                                 33.8
6  TENACIOUS D IN THE PICK OF DESTINY (NL/WB, $27.98)   8.3
7  A GOOD YEAR (FOX, $29.99)                            7.5
8  MAN OF THE YEAR (UNI, $29.98)                       37.4
9  LAND BEFORE TIME XII(UNI, $19.98)                     -
10 CINDERELLA III: A TWIST IN TIME (BV, $29.99)          -
11 OPEN SEASON (SONY, $28.95)                          84.3
12 LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (FOX, $29.98)                  59.4
13 BRATZ: FASHION PIXIEZ (LG, $19.98)                    -
14 FLICKA (FOX, $29.99)                                21.0
15 FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS (DW/PAR, $29.99)               33.6
16 CARS (BV, $29.98)                                  244.1
17 THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (FOX, $29.99)                124.7
18 DISNEY'S LITTLE EINSTEINS (BV, $19.99)                -
19 THE ILLUSIONIST (FOX, $29.99)                       39.8
20 MARIE ANTOINETTE (SONY, $28.95)                     16.0

Source: Rentrak's Retail Essentials
Blu-ray = 18 (90%)
HD DVD = 7 (35%)

Here is Universal's top 10 movies of all-time
Code:
1    E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial    $359,197,037    6/11/1982
2    Jurassic Park                  $357,067,947    6/11/1993
3    Meet the Fockers               $279,261,160    12/22/2004
4    How the Grinch Stole Christmas $260,044,825    11/17/2000
5    Jaws                           $260,000,000    6/20/1975
6    Bruce Almighty                 $242,829,261    5/23/2003
7    The Lost World: Jurassic Park  $229,086,679    5/22/1997
8    King Kong                      $218,080,025    12/14/2005
9    Back to the Future             $210,609,762    7/3/1985
10   The Mummy Returns              $202,019,785    5/4/2001
Four of the biggest Universal blockbusters ('Jaws,' 'Jurassic Park' and 'E.T.') were directed by Spielberg who is holding off their release in HD. Back to the Future was produced by Spielberg but directed by Zemeckis.

So you might be able to grab a cheap HD player but it may not be worth it to you if you're not a fan of the Fockers.
post #58 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

read my signature. those are the sales figure for BD and HD DVD disks Since inception till 4th April !! ... BD sold <>60K more disks than HD DVD. BD as <>2mil players in the market as compared to <.0.2mil HD DVD players. BD has several times more releases than HD DVD since January.

Ok, so BD is underperforming and outselling HD DVD, and that is good for HD DVD...

Just trying to figure out where you stand there.

You realize that they make money on the number of movies sold, not the percentage of movies per device right?
post #59 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Jurassic Park would help HD-DVD, but really I'm not that sold that Jaws or E.T. would move units en masse.

You need newer releases than that, not stuff that's 20-30 years old and already has been out on DVD for years on top of that. Unless you're talking about the Star Wars movies.
post #60 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh-X View Post

Jurassic Park would help HD-DVD, but really I'm not that sold that Jaws or E.T. would move units en masse.

You need newer releases than that, not stuff that's 20-30 years old and already has been out on DVD for years on top of that. Unless you're talking about the Star Wars movies.

I think these would really move the enthusiasts (you know, US), but to really move large quantities new releases are the key.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page