Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

I think these would really move the enthusiasts (you know, US), but to really move large quantities new releases are the key.

Yeah that's the problem. Universal is absolutely the wrong studio to have a movie format riding on. If it was Warner, Fox, or Disney/BV ... it might have a chance.

Universal really hasn't done anything since Spielberg left to form Dreamworks. The first Mummy film was fun, but The Mummy Returns, The Scorpion King, and then Van Helsing were basically duds (though I will give The Scorpion King extra marks for Kelly Hu).

Universal's more recent attempts to create a new big time franchise in The Hulk was a spectacular failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

jHD DVD's cost affective advantage is showing.

What cost-effective advantage? There's still zero evidence that it's cheaper to build an HD DVD player than a Blu-ray player. Yes, Blu-ray has a slightly more expensive optical unit. This is offset by Blu-ray's drastically higher volumes and the greater CPU power required in HD DVD (to support HDi).

Toshiba's price-cutting is strictly a response to the increasing volume and decreasing cost of Blu-ray players. Blu-ray pricing is being driven by competition. HD DVD pricing is being driven by desperation.

And, incidentally, every price cut by Toshiba just further guarantees you'll see no other mainstream CE vendors enter the market. There's only room (barely) for ultra-cheap no-names or high-end players (which will look increasingly less attractive with the increasing content gap).

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #63 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 11:48 AM

So, Talk, this means we can expect some chinese $199 Bluray players as well? I mean this year.

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #64 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurus View Post

So, Talk, this means we can expect some chinese $199 Bluray players as well? I mean this year.

Not gonna happen, It's pretty funny to see people try and spin hd dvd's large price advantage as a negative.
post #65 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

What cost-effective advantage? There's still zero evidence that it's cheaper to build an HD DVD player than a Blu-ray player. Yes, Blu-ray has a slightly more expensive optical unit. This is offset by Blu-ray's drastically higher volumes and the greater CPU power required in HD DVD (to support HDi).

Toshiba's price-cutting is strictly a response to the increasing volume and decreasing cost of Blu-ray players. Blu-ray pricing is being driven by competition. HD DVD pricing is being driven by desperation.

And, incidentally, every price cut by Toshiba just further guarantees you'll see no other mainstream CE vendors enter the market. There's only room (barely) for ultra-cheap no-names or high-end players (which will look increasingly less attractive with the increasing content gap).

- Talk

If anything, it appears more CE's are jumping onto HD DVD. Meridian, Onkyo, Samaung, LG and the Chinese to name a few.

As for the blu-ray side, they've added LG and um, I can't think of any others.
post #66 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 01:38 PM

The D1 is the discontinued black-faced version of the A1. (G1) It does have the attraction of brick s***-house construction and multichannel analog outputs.

The MSRP is actually down to $300.

They are being rather disingenuous to show $599 scratched out. It was never that much.
post #67 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurus View Post

I doubt it. There has been no apparent outreach by the Blu-ray side to the Chinese manufacturers since there are already plenty of manufacturers represented. LG, Samsung, and Funai (for starters) will ensure good price competition without immediately commoditizing the format and sucking all the profit out for manufacturers.

Blu-ray Insider
post #68 of 68 Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post

If anything, it appears more CE's are jumping onto HD DVD. Meridian, Onkyo, Samaung, LG and the Chinese to name a few.

As for the blu-ray side, they've added LG and um, I can't think of any others.

Funai has been announced; there are other very interesting developments underway which haven't been.

Blu-ray Insider
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page