HD DVD reaches $2** price point (street) !!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wanna point out that HD DVD has reached the street price point of $2**.

yupe .. HD DVD's cost affective advantage is showing.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-D1-...576403&sr=1-10

and the gen2 A2 player is $33* after Amazon Visa discount ... that is like $31 away from the $2** price point. And this is a model that is currently in production

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...576403&sr=1-10

and with the and every purchase will also entitle purchasers to get 5 FREE HD DVDs

the $2** purchase would be like $199 wouldnt it ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

just wanna point out that HD DVD has reached the street price point of $2**.

yupe .. HD DVD's cost affective advantage is showing.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-D1-...576403&sr=1-10

and the gen2 A2 player is $33* after Amazon Visa discount ... that is like $31 away from the $2** price point. And this is a model that is currently in production

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...576403&sr=1-10

and with the and every purchase will also entitle purchasers to get 5 FREE HD DVDs

the $2** purchase would be like $199 wouldnt it ...

If we're counting 'Visa Discounts' in price points, my grandma gave me a check for my birthday, and Blu-Ray players are in the $100 price point for me...
post #3 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchaman View Post

If we're counting 'Visa Discounts' in price points, my grandma gave me a check for my birthday, and Blu-Ray players are in the $100 price point for me...

Oh and I got a free PS3 with a new Sharp Aquos from Newegg! Thats a street price of $0!!!!

Does price really matter if you are buying a ticket on the Titanic?
post #4 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 08:47 PM

1.) Shouldn't this be in the HD DVD hardware area.
2.) Isn't this the Wal-mart exclusive version of the A1?
post #5 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD View Post

Oh and I got a free PS3 with a new Sharp Aquos from Newegg! Thats a street price of $0!!!!

And if we discount BR fanboys' posts who joined in the last 2 months to operate as viral marketers in the HD-DVD forums, we get 50% less filler.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

And if we discount BR fanboys' posts who joined in the last 2 months to operate as viral marketers in the HD-DVD forums, we get 50% less filler.

Wow, I've made fanboy status already?

Actually I'm not a fanboy, but I hate flawed logic that says a discount totally unrelated to a specific product can/should be used in stating the product's price is at a certain point. I could have used HD DVD as my example, and it doesn't really matter.
post #7 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchaman View Post

actually the $290 is excluding the Amazon Visa discount. The Visa discount applies to the A2's $330, not the D1.

how many grand children did your grandma gave checks to during your birthday anyway?
post #8 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As much as the OP is a tad too gleeful, I wish some of the BR fanboys would cool it in their responses. There have been plenty of posts over the last year for BOTH formats pointing out great street prices of various players under certain introductory deals (airline miles, etc.)

Lets keep the zealotry to a minimum... he said in vain.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #9 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 01:54 AM

The Toshiba HD-D1 has been available in normal distribution channels (aside from Wal-Mart) for a couple of months now. The MSRP has been lowered to $299.95.

Eric
post #10 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

The Toshiba HD-D1 has been available in normal distribution channels (aside from Wal-Mart) for a couple of months now. The MSRP has been lowered to $299.95.

Eric

$276 here http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?pa...=12-21281492-2
post #11 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 03:27 AM

So is Toshiba just dumping old stock or is this their low-end player which they are continuing to manufacture?
post #12 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

The beginning of the end.
post #13 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

The beginning of the end.

The HD-D1 started out at $500 msrp and now goes for about half that price. The Samsung BD player started out at $1000 and I can buy it today for $500 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...306494-4822408

I guess it the beginning of the end for BD as well.
post #14 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

What.. LOL it's funny in 1997 in bought a DVD player for 900$CAD... in 1999 i sold it 500$ to buy a Panasonic with was around the same price ... now i can't even sell my 799$ HD A1 .. 300$ not even 1 year after..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #15 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

how many grand children did your grandma gave checks to during your birthday anyway?

I don't know, but my sister used to get what I got for my birthday...and that used to suck
post #16 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Liked: 44
Just did some checking. The D1 is a re-badged A! so you get the Analog Outputs for the advanced sound formats.

Here is the spec page form Wal-Mart's site

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications
post #17 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
$275 is a pretty powerful argument for an impulse buyer.

Sony's cheapest standalone player will be $600 when it launches at the middle of the year, yet it does not include advanced audio decoding for DD+ or TrueHD - which the A1/D1 HD DVD player does. Nor does the Sony have the network ports or advanced HDi interactive features.

HD DVD price advantages are getting to the point where they are going to start shifting even more volume, IMO...

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The

The
post #18 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Sony's cheapest standalone player will be $600 when it launches at the middle of the year, yet it does not include advanced audio decoding for DD+ or TrueHD - which the A1/D1 HD DVD player does. Nor does the Sony have the network ports or advanced HDi interactive features.

HD DVD price advantages are getting to the point where they are going to start shifting even more volume, IMO...

Well the recent article that claimed HD-DVD player sales would reach 1.7 million by year's end speaks volumes to your point. How anyone can proclaim this format is dead when it is on pace to have this many players in homes by the end of the year is beyond me! I guarantee -- if HD-DVD does hit those numbers, there WILL be more studios going neutral. Only an imbecile running a studio would ignore those kinds of numbers (so I guess Mike Dunn would still remain exclusive ).

post #19 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

Did you learn the term "viral marketer" from AVS? Just wondering, since you didn't use the term correctly.

Reminds me of back in the day when people used to call every anomaly on a Mits CRT "raster ringing" when no one knew what it was.

What we're seeing here are BR kids that just figured out that there's a hot debate here, and they have to defend their decision, which is already tempered by teen-angst low self esteem.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #20 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

But they need to start advertising it at that rate, and doing it in more high profile locations. Best Buy is still selling theirs for $499. We need the Best Buy one to be $299.
post #21 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

You are comparing MSRP to retail pricing, no one knows what the retail pricing of the Sony unit is going to be. Robert has said he expects the new Samsung to retail for around $699, but that is all we know about retail pricing of G2 Blu-ray units.

It clearly isn't going to support HDi interactive features, what would be the point. The chip used inside the Sony unit (Sigma) can decode DD+/DTHD/DTS-HD, but it is unable to do DTS-MA, how do I know this, well, the Panasonic which uses the same Sigma chip can do all of this aswell.
post #22 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

So what? I bought a Samsung BD P1000 on E Bay for $401.00. What about this pricepoint? It's irrelevent!

I own a Samsung BD UP5000 with over a 1000 Blu Ray Movies

I also own a Toshiba D3 & Toshiba A30 plus 175 HD DVD Movies

post #23 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceLH View Post

So what? I bought a Samsung BD P1000 on E Bay for $401.00. What about this pricepoint? It's irrelevent!

You were had

But really, if they are selling new for under $299, that's a pretty big deal. It just depends on if that is a one off sale, or it we will see more of them.
post #24 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

You were had

But really, if they are selling new for under $299, that's a pretty big deal. It just depends on if that is a one off sale, or it we will see more of them.

Well clearly they are not, the A2 is $375 and the D1 is a clearance (they don't make these anymore) item so it seems more like a one off thing than the norm.
post #25 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post

Well clearly they are not, the A2 is $375 and the D1 is a clearance (they don't make these anymore) item so it seems more like a one off thing than the norm.

I should learn to read the op more carefully.
post #26 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
not to significant until all the stores are selling them at this price. Most of the people I know just go to a local BB or walmart and pick items up, and until prices come to these type of stores, I don't think there will be much impact.
post #27 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

I should learn to read the op more carefully.

Don't worry, I don't think you are the first to fall for xboxboi's heavy spin, it happens to the best of us at times.
post #28 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schticker View Post

What we're seeing here are BR kids that just figured out that there's a hot debate here, and they have to defend their decision, which is already tempered by teen-angst low self esteem.

You're making an incorrect assumption. I don't have decisions to defend. I have a PS3. I bought it Blu-Ray playback. I don't have a horse in this race. PS3s will be around for years, regardless of the outcome of the format war. I don't have to hope in the success of Blu-Ray to ensure that I'll have hardware I can buy in 5 years that will play my Blu-Ray collection. I'm fine with HD DVD winning, as I said before, I'll have hardware I can buy for years to come. I'll have a number of hd movies that I won't have to re-purchase should HD DVD win.

I'm planning on buying a HD DVD player soon, hopefully the Xbox 360 add-on
(if my wife allows the purchase of another gaming system). The only things that I'm still hesitant about are the lack of studio support for HD DVD, and the rabid, misinformed, name calling fans. If you want to bash 'kids', you might want to take a look at the HD DVD 'kids'. I'm impressed with where HD DVD hardware is NOW, and the price point. If I buy a collection of HD DVDs, I do risk not having new hardware in 5 years to buy should my player break. If the Xbox had an embedded HD DVD drive (and HDMI), I would have purchased it already.

I'm more a fan of technology. That said, I'd say i'm pulling for Blu-Ray to win. I'd rather have 200GB discs for my data needs than a 51 GB disc. I'd rather have a format that gives studios a little more wiggle room with their movie transfers. I'd like the studios to have a choice of codecs, not just the one that looks good enough at a low bitrate.
post #29 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schticker View Post

Not really, I couldn't care less if BD died tomorrow, I would go out and buy a HD-XE1, it seems that the HD DVD guys are the ones out fighting and we always seem to be defending.
post #30 of 68 Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

And beyond that, Schticker's remarks are the kind of generalizations that have been bringing this place down. Passive aggressive, with no purpose but to incite.

Nothing personal Schticker.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page