Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In an article today on the BBC, Microsoft's Neil Thompson, Head of Xbox in The U.K., made the following statment:

Quote:

Neil Thompson, head of Xbox in the UK, said: "The Xbox 360 offers a better gaming experience than PS3 for £150 less."

He added: "The only debate is if you want to watch Blu-ray movies and pay the extra money for that feature.

"We prefer to offer the consumer choice."

Microsoft sells a HD-DVD player add-on for Xbox, which plays high definition movies in a rival format.

Mr Thompson said it did not matter which high definition DVD video system wins the format war.

"Whatever format wins it is highly likely we will offer a solution," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6474045.stm

To me it appears that Microsoft is clearly using Toshiba/HD-DVD as a device to ward off Sony/Blu-ray until Microsoft themselves get their movie download service operating properly.

Why do these Microsoft executives keep sounding unsure of this format war? Does Microsoft really support HD optical at all?

~Josh

hidefpreview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Good god, here we go!

Will you just stop already.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #3 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

In an article today on the BBC, Microsoft's Neil Thompson, Head of Xbox in The U.K., made the following statment:

To me it appears that Microsoft is clearly using Toshiba/HD-DVD as a device to ward off Sony/Blu-ray until Microsoft themselves get their movie download service operating properly.

Why do these Microsoft executives keep sounding unsure of this format war? Does Microsoft really support HD optical at all?

~Josh

The Microsoft exec. sounds sensible. Why wager your game console market on the HD optics....2 different markets.

Successful companies know how to focus. At MSFT it looks like Neil's job is to ensure they win the console war, Amir's is to ensure they win the codec war (VC-1/HDi)and Kevin's is they win the HD Optics war (HD DVD)....or whoever is running these units. They back each other up, not at the expense of jeopadiing their respective business lines. It's all about focus and execution
post #4 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM

I read an article once where the author suggested that perhaps MS only backed HD-DVD so there would in fact be a format war, which would at least cause a delay in the masses moving to a new format, if not kill both formats entirely (like how the SACD vs. DVD-A war seems to have ended) which would give them time to prepare and roll-out a digital download service which they hoped would then emerge as *the* next gen format everyone would use ...

Granted it was all speculation and not based on any real facts, but it does make sense and it does sound like something Microsoft would try ...
post #5 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

The Microsoft exec. sounds sensible. Why wager your game console market on the HD optics....2 different markets.

You may be correct. I just do not understand why Microsoft seems to waver with HD optical support. At times it seems like they are really in to it and at other times some of their VP's, CEO, etc. make very uninspiring statements like the one above.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #6 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris75 View Post

I read an article once where the author suggested that perhaps MS only backed HD-DVD so there would in fact be a format war, which would at least cause a delay in the masses moving to a new format, if not kill both formats entirely (like how the SACD vs. DVD-A war seems to have ended) which would give them time to prepare and roll-out a digital download service which they hoped would then emerge as *the* next gen format everyone would use ...

Granted it was all speculation and not based on any real facts, but it does make sense and it does sound like something Microsoft would try ...

This was most likely spread by the BDA

Technology is always being replaced. HD Optics IMO is a far less threat than DVD to digital download services. IMHO.
post #7 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Same thing was reported a few months ago, their stance hasn't changed. This is just someone regurgitating it as news.

This however, would appear to be actual news. As it was the first time a Sony exec entertained the possibility of failure.

Quote:

Stringer: If We Fail, It's Because PS3 is 'Mercedes' of Videogames

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15522
post #8 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris75 View Post

All I know (and care about) is that Microsoft has been battling Java in many different fronts (smartcards, mobile, server, set-top, etc) . The HD "war" is simply one of them.
post #9 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Microsoft doesn't really care about HD DVD's survival. Their main focus is pushing their downloadable service and video codecs.
post #10 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

I actually think that statement is refreshingly honest.
With the format war in its infancy and sales of both BD/HD software and hardware so (almost laughably) low compared to SD DVD currently, no reasonable person can claim to know how this will ultimately turn out.
I much prefer a candid statement like this to constant proclaimations of victory.
post #11 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFoley View Post

Microsoft doesn't really care about HD DVD's survival. Their main focus is pushing their downloadable service and video codecs.

Popular mantra among the BD faithful, only problem is that if it were true why offer a HD DVD hardware solution at all?
post #12 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway View Post

Popular mantra among the BD faithful, only problem is that if it were true why offer a HD DVD hardware solution at all?

I am not claiming that microsoft has no interest in HD DVD, but....

A very good reason for them to offer the HD DVD option is so that they could have a counterpoint to the BD drive in the PS3.

With it being optional it doesn't raise the price of their console, but it is available for anyone that wants it.
post #13 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma_victor View Post

I actually think that statement is refreshingly honest.
With the format war in its infancy and sales of both BD/HD software and hardware so (almost laughably) low compared to SD DVD currently, no reasonable person can claim to know how this will ultimately turn out.
I much prefer a candid statement like this to constant proclaimations of victory.

I agree, they don't know who will win anymore than the rest of us. Why lie about it and make false statements about having already won if you don't need to?

If BR wins, MS will support it. Do you think Sony will support HD DVD if it wins? They can't becasue of the PS3. MS is not willing to make that same mistake. Very smart folks over there at MS!
post #14 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

Do you think Sony will support HD DVD if it wins? They can't becasue of the PS3. MS is not willing to make that same mistake. Very smart folks over there at MS!

Couldn't they just provide us with an external usb player for our PS3?

Or maybe make an existing one work

I don't think this is likely to happen, but it can't be much less likely than Microsoft selling you a BD drive for your 360.
post #15 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Maybe Microsoft is being honest and logical about the whole issue, rather than this mantra-spin-filled religious fervor that some other companies are spouting on this optical disc situation. (like an awful lot of folks around here...)
post #16 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

Maybe Microsoft is being honest and logical about the whole issue, rather than this mantra-spin-filled religious fervor that some other companies are spouting on this optical disc situation. (like an awful lot of folks around here...)

QFT

Amazing that in today's PR driven environments sensible speak is considered "wavering"

The inmates have truly taken over the asylum.
post #17 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Same thing was reported a few months ago, their stance hasn't changed. This is just someone regurgitating it as news.

This however, would appear to be actual news. As it was the first time a Sony exec entertained the possibility of failure.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15522

Yes, but far be it for Beatboy to start a thread about that, he is looking to stir up the pot for HD DVD like a good spin doctor.
post #18 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCheese View Post

Yes, but far be it for Beatboy to start a thread about that, he is looking to stir up the pot for HD DVD like a good spin doctor.

As usual. And he fails to realize that HD DVD/BD are the last optical formats the industry is going to see. The internet and downloads is now and the future.

Did he forgot that Sony said the PS3 would be the last game console they make with an optical drive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

There is no question ...movie downloading is the future. However, mainstream downloading of 1080p movies won't be realized until at least another five years. In the meantime, the best delivery system for HD movies is and will be HD optical technology.

Does price really matter if you are buying a ticket on the Titanic?
post #20 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD View Post

There is no question ...movie downloading is the future. However, mainstream downloading of 1080p movies won't be realized until at least another five years. In the meantime, the best delivery system for HD movies is and will be HD optical technology.

I totally agree. But both HD optical formats need more than 5 years to overtake DVD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~Josh

FUD. This has been their official company line since last August. It doesn't indicate any waivering. You can't waiver if you haven't changed your position since the beginning.
post #22 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Taken out of context:

http://news.spong.com/article/12121

Microsoft to Support Blu-ray - UPDATE
Or a simple slip of the tongue?
22 Mar 2007
Link to this: http://news.spong.com/article/12121

UPDATE:
We have just been emailed the following update from Microsoft's public relations people, seeking to set the record straight with regard to Neil Thompson's comments as quoted by the BBC and reported in our story below.

In the interest of clarity and fair play, we reprint the entire emailed statement here for you to make your own mind up about:

"The article implies that Neil is suggesting that Microsoft is going to support Blu-Ray. To confirm, this quote has been taken out of context and is not what Neil was implying. Microsoft offers, and fully supports, the HD-DVD format and offers consumers the choice of getting their HD movie content either via the optional HD-DVD player or via Xbox Live Video Marketplace (US only)."
post #23 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD View Post

Stop press: We agree on something!
post #24 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I'm only playing Devil's Advocate here ... I own the 360 add-on and even if Blu-ray "wins", I will NEVER purchase a Blu-ray player or allow one in my home ... I utterly despise Sony ...

However, I believe the argument goes: If MS had not thrown their weight and hardware behind HD-DVD, the war would have ended too soon (if there was one at all), with Blu-ray emerging as the winner before Microsoft was able to make downloading HD movies a reality. Then they would have to try to compete with a new 'standard', which people had just dumped their money into, so consumers would be unlikely to switch to yet another format ...

Also, by putting their weight behind it, it is possible now that both formats will fail (like SACD and DVD-A appear to have), and from the dust will emerge their digital download service to become the 'standard' distribution method for HD movie content.
post #25 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the focus of MS is making the 360 the center of your entertainment center. So whether HD-DVD or Blu-ray fails or prevails, as long as the 360 stays as the centerpiece, it's the only real concern.

Stating that they'll offer a solution makes potential and current buyers feel safe about buying into the 360 for its entertainment features.

-David
post #26 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

I think the focus of MS is making the 360 the center of your entertainment center. So whether HD-DVD or Blu-ray fails or prevails, as long as the 360 stays as the centerpiece, it's the only real concern.

Stating that they'll offer a solution makes potential and current buyers feel safe about buying into the 360 for its entertainment features.

The 360 AND the Windows-based PC...after all, that's MS' bread and butter. Why do you think Windows Vista machines are about to get full access to XBox Live, playing Xbox games in multi-player situations along with 360 users? (And it looks and feels the same, too!)

Windows Media...

There is method to MS' madness... (and Intel and HP)
post #27 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~Josh

[Sarcasm]

Good grief. Sony's CEO actually said the Wii is a great console and discussed the possibility of the PS3 losing, which of course means that Blu-ray would therefore be a lost format. Why is this Sony CEO sounding unsure of the console and therefore the format war? What is he worried about?

By the way, I saw a discarded box in a trash bin the other day that had "SONY" written on it. I think consumers are starting to turn on the company!!! They don't like Sony products!!

[/Sarcasm]

Beatboy77: Beyond Eisegetics

Please feel free to visit
or follow my NEWS feed on
post #28 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Successful companies know how to focus. At MSFT it looks like Neil's job is to ensure they win the console war, Amir's is to ensure they win the codec war (VC-1/HDi)and Kevin's is they win the HD Optics war (HD DVD)....or whoever is running these units. They back each other up, not at the expense of jeopadiing their respective business lines. It's all about focus and execution

Very sensible for Microsoft, unfortunately HD-DVD needs Microsoft to be as commited as Sony if they have any hope of winning the format war.
post #29 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG1977 View Post

Very sensible for Microsoft, unfortunately HD-DVD needs Microsoft to be as commited as Sony if they have any hope of winning the format war.

... why? In the end, Microsoft doesn't really have a dog in this race. Blu Ray drives work with Vista, both formats use VC1/AVC... Just because the 360 has an HD-DVD addon does not mean that they NEED to see HD-DVD win to continue with their success.

All Microsoft needs to do is provide me the option of using HD-DVD or not, and I am set. Mission accomplished.
post #30 of 54 Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Rawhide theme song
Trollin' Trollin' Trollin
Trollin' Trollin' Trollin

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page